Sport 5dr

I love this little car. I find it fun to drive and the 1.5 petrol engine means it has quite a bit of poke, even at high speed on the motorway. The only let down is the fact that it's as economical as some of it's competitors. Other than that it is cheap enough to run. I have never had any mechanical problems with the car and it has gone through every MOT without issue.

Sadie Cooper, Herefordshire, January 10th 2014

TS2 5dr

This is my wife's car which I drive at the weekends and we both like the great handling direct steering and gear change roomy and comfortable interior. the suspension is a bit noisy over larger bumps and the interior isn't the best quality plastic but it all fits and doesn't rattle or squeak. In short a great little car that's a hoot to drive and a lot more characterful than a polo or fiesta

david bisset, July 22nd 2013

D Sport 5dr

Getting 62 Mpg, and I don't drive slowly. Handles superbly. A few minor squeaks in cabin only fault.

Damian Handley, May 11th 2012

D Sport 5dr

I've had the car 1 month and have done 2100 miles, it drives really well my previous car had a sixth gear which I am missing a bit with the sweet engine, you can put it into 5th gear at 35mph and only on the steepest banks will it need a downchange, you can feel the lightness which makes it feel agile, and the ride is far better than the Corsa SXi I used to have, interior space is as good as i've seen in the class and of the cars I tested, the equipment levels are fantastic, my parents £25k car doesn't have the same level. My niggles are the lack of storage space, the door pockets are useless, although the glovebox is large, fuel economy on the motorway drops from over 60mpg to at 75mph around 52-54mpg, if you do lots of motorway trips it is not the car for you, the furl tank is small, and the rear wash wipe is badly positioned so it doesn't wash the screen. Overall whilst I wasn't sure when I bought it, the car has grown on me, and so I will give updates after the 1st service and after a year and 25,000 miles.

Philip Mortimer, April 27th 2012

Sport 5dr

Just picked up my Mazda 2 1.5 Sport Petrol the other day, and am completely in love with it. The engine pulls very well, and is extremely refined and quiet at low speeds. Put your foot down and the car takes off. The fact that Mazda stripped 100kg off the weight of this car means that it is extremely eager and fast. 0-60 in 10.5 seconds. Even in this time, the ride is very smooth. The weight (or lack thereof) also makes it very frugal and fuel efficient. Having said that, the fuel tank is quite small, which means less money to fill it up, but you have to fill it more often. The gearbox has to be one of my favourite features of this car. The ratios are perfect, and the shift is very quick and short, which really adds to this cars sporty feel. The suspension is firm, but not bone-rattlingly so, you feel bumps, but it is still comfy. In practicality terms, the Mazda is quite good! The boot is a good size for that shopping, and there is plenty of space in the back for 2 adults, or 3 children. The standard equipment in this car is amazing, cruise control, climate control, automatic headlights and wipers, trip computer, auxiliary input into the stereo, which itself has 6 speakers. You cannot fault the equipment on this car. Inside, everything is built very well, and feels very durable. Maybe not the nicest plastics to touch, but you can tell that they will stand the test of time! This car really beats its rivals in price, reliability and equipment. Why buy anything else?

Craig Donoghue, Midlothian, November 19th 2011

TS2 5dr

I have owned this car for about 4 months now. It was either this or a Toyota Yaris and I'm not sure now that I've made the right decision. One of the main reasons for choosing this car was the supposed fuel economy but I'm lucky to get 40mpg with gentle driving. (Mostly motorway and dual carriageway) The steering wheel has never been on straight from the beginning. There is an annoying clonk from the rear every time I go over a bump. The rear brakes make a grinding/rubbing noise. The heater fan makes a loud ticking noise, almost like leaves are getting in and are being thrown around inside the heater motor. Even the gear change is really stiff going from first to second with it sometimes making a crunch as u change. As somebody else on here has mentioned, the clutch is inconsistant too. I'm amazed that a car with less than 4000 miles on the clock can start to show all these problems and certainly wouldn't consider owning it out of the warranty period. I am wondering whether just to cut my losses and trade it in, which is even more annoying as I bought a Mazda because of so called reliability and build quality.

Julian Hicks, Oxon, January 7th 2009

TS2 5dr

Now after 4 years of ownership, continuing satisfaction with the car's overall performance. The engine has loosened up noticably and revs freely and pulls more torquily on hills. Only problems; corrosion of the front alloys and body damage by others for careless or malicious reasons. Best fuel economy 53.4 mpg, worst 36.6 during last winters snowy weeks.

Colin Riches, West Yorkshire, November 29th 2008

TS2 5dr

This is a marvellous little car. Great to drive, reliable and economical . I have owned this car for 5 months now and 5,000 miles and so far everything is fine. Things I like are the styling, the gearbox which is wonderfully smooth and easy to use and the build quality. Things which are less good include; only one remote key is supplied which means you have to constantly swap keys if the car is used by 2 people and the fuel gauge which flashes empty when there is probably 2 gallons of fuel in the car. Highly recommended.

David White, Cambs, October 20th 2008

Sport 5dr

I cannot fault the car in relation to build quality and drive - it's fun and other than the recalls for a couple of checks it hasn't needed anything doing to it. No creaks for me as far as I've noticed. Dealers have been good(except in relation to the mpg). However, as I bought the car for it's promised low mpg I'm really disappointed - mine averages 38 mpg and considering the lightness of the car and the promised mpg and that I'm doing mainly motorway driving and am no 'boy racer' I think this is pretty poor. I am astounded that someone (sarah as above) can get 51 mpg!. The small tank exacerbates my irritation because I feel constantly reminded of it's poor mpg when I need to refuel at 270 miles. I'm so fed up of it I'm considering trading it in for a diesel model or a FIAT 500.

sara cureton, October 19th 2008

TS 3dr

I've owned the low end Mazda 2 3-door for just over a month now and I'm completely in love with it. Its got punch, life and is a fun car to drive. Its fuel economy is also great - probably down to the small size. There's been no problems and even if there was it comes with breakdown cover and the usual warranty. Even on the low-end model I have you get a lot of extras such as MP3 port into the stereo player. MP3 compatible CD player. Twin airbags. LCD fuel guage and odometer. Its even got a dimmer switch for the dashboard lights! I'm so chuffed with the car I'm thinking of setting up a Mazda2 owners club.

Doug Bromley, Worcestershire, September 7th 2008

TS2 5dr

I have owned the Mazda 2 TS2 since Jan 07. I spent ages on the internet looking for a replacement for my little Toyota Yaris which I thought could not be beaten. Then I spotted the new Mazda 2 on a bill board. I searched the internet for a one in my price range and managed to locate one only 20 miles away at a Ford garage. It had been owned by a lady for 3 months and unfortunately she could no longer afford the payments. The minute I spotted it on forecourt I knew it was the one for me! The spirited green looked even better in real life than on the bill board. Yes it is very bright but it suits the car perfectly. Plenty legroom for the kids and loads room in the boot for that all important shopping. I am currently getting 80miles for a tenner! which is really good with petrol being so expensive. The interior is fab and it has those little finishing touches like leather steering cover and gearknob. What else can I say I love it, would recommend it to anyone

karen oxborough, tyne and wear, August 18th 2008

TS 5dr

Overall a very good car except that if a tyre is punctured and the car is fully laden a problem arises because the spare wheelwell diameter is 2" too small to accommodate a faulty wheel, though adequate for the temporary spare. One has to wrap the dirty wheel in a binbag and carry it as a laptop. Sombre upholstery shows every speck of dust yet there are unfortunately shiny and reflective surfaces within the driver's field of vision. A trough under the front seats accommodates large plastic icecream containers for storage but the door pockets are too small. The left door armrest could be hollowed to carry papers for which the front locker has been designed and instead a flat locker top made available for carrying small items. Radio controls on the steering wheel are useless for drivers who maintain their hands at the quarter to three driving position because they turn out of reach whereas the fixed dashboard controls are always readily to hand. The clutch footrest is admirable as is the excellent rearward visibility because the rear headrests lie low. Small fuel tank. The crashy wheel noise is a problem. Flawed excellence!

Hubert Evans, Kent, August 13th 2008

Sport 5dr

We went out to buy a Fiat 500 and desperately wanted to love the car...or at least I did. The Wife wasn't too keen on the looks. We both drove it and immediatedly dismissed it....thus begins our love affair with our red Mazda 2 Sport. It was the ex-demo with 3500 miles on the clock with the exact spec we needed for a car...3 rear seats, gadgets, looks, reliability, economy and price. We have covered 700 miles in the week we have owned it and cannot sing it's praises highly enough. On the recent 400 mile trip to Devon, the road noise was noticeable, but we plugged the MP3 into the port and cranked up the volume on the fantastic sterea (via the steering wheel mounted controls). It was torrential rain for the whole journey and the auto wipers and lights came into their element... what a car.. and we have to try and ignore the envious glances of all Fiesta, Clio, Peugeot, Bravo, Colt, Jazz and Yaris drivers, to boot!

Kevin Howlett, Bucks, August 10th 2008

TS2 3dr

Fab car. Love driving it. Good to look at, inside & out. Nippy engine. Comfortable seats & driving position. Fun to drive. The plastics in the cabin aren't the best & not keen on the hole in the glove box. That said, it still looks good inside and is roomy. The stereo system is very good too. All in, for the equipment & specification -excellent value for money, I paid £9200. The car has a quality feel to it. Test drove a 1.2 clio turbo, 1.4 corsa & 1.4 fiesta - Mazda came out well on top! This car gets big thumbs up!

D M, July 19th 2008

TS2 5dr

A gem of a car. Having driven 1.8l engine cars for the past 40 years I was apprehensive about the performance of the TS2, but the experience is really great. I tried it out on the hills of the Hampshire Downs with 4 passengers aboard and it took the hills with out showing any reluctance. It has good torque at fairly low revs so reducing the need to change gears at lower speeds; ie pulling away or cornering. No creaks or rattles. One reason for changing from my old 626 (Owned from new) was the increasing difficulty in getting in and out of the 626 because of the low roof line. The TS2 with its extra height is much easier, and the room inside is little different from the 626. I am really pleased with the car. I paid £9713.

John Barker, July 6th 2008

Sport 5dr

I collected my Mazda 2 Sport in Dundee last week.....thats me passed the 1000 mile mark already !! So far the car is very good to drive....much better than my other car a Citroen Saxo . Its small looking outside , but there is plenty of room inside..... I wish Mazda would bring out a MPS model....2.0 Turbo would be nice ;)

Alasdair Mackenzie, Aberdeenshire, June 12th 2008

TS2 5dr

My wife and I bought a TS2 each at the begining of March 08 and plan to review our reviews through our ownership. I had a 2 year old Corsa and my wife a less than 1 year old Yaris - the Mazda 2 is considerably better than either of them! Around 2000 miles on both cars and fuel consumption is around 43-45 average, with a 9 mile commute on various roads. Easy to drive and considerably quieter than the Yaris. The gearstick position took no getting used to, it is in a natural position. The glove box is a good idea but the open slot does allow people to see in, and also allows noise to get out! Not many about, and we have noticed several people taking an extra look as they pass. The boot is a good size for the size of car and causes us no problems at all. Slight delay on the accessory front foglights ordered from new was disappointing but we are happy with the dealer, and like others had a "take it for as long as you like" test drive. To Sarah, yes our's creak too. We think the noise is from the back end, so cannot be brake discs as drums are fitted on the TS2, and assume it is the hatch. Likewise the fuel gauge flashing worryingly with over 2 gallons left happens on both of our cars, we get around 30-40 miles to each 'notch'. Our only concerns are the driver's seat fabric stretching when you first get out (but the stretch soon vanishes), and the possibility of condensation in the plastic headlights in the future - anyone else have thoughts on these?

Simon B, May 24th 2008

Sport 5dr

I am unsure why I can get 51mpg on the motorway, the only thing I can suggest is make sure your tyres are the right pressure, as I find when mine are down it takes 2-3mpg off. The motorway I drive on also I think is mostly down hill and I have it set on cruise for about 67mph and try to read the road ahead so I know when to slow down. However if you do all this Sara then I do not know why your mpg is so low. At the moment mine is averaging 45mpg as the cold weather has started to take a toll, maybe have a look at how many litres you are putting in for filling up at 270miles? If you are only putting in 32 litres in a 42 litre tank then you know next time you can go a bit further.

Sarah Russell, Staffordshire, May 21st 2008

TS2 5dr

My previous car was a current model Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 5dr. The Mazda is like chalk and cheese in comparison. It is a car, not an MPV and thus lacks some of the practicality of the Colt (although the Mazda does have a bigger boot as standard). Having said that, the Mazda is a lot more fun and enjoyable to drive and the seats are more comfortable than in the Colt. Fuel ecnonomy is great, the bigger Mazda engine not using anymore fuel than the smaller Colt engine did. In fact the stat suggest the Mazda should better the Colt in terms of economy, but driving mainly around town I've found it works out about the same. The Mazda feels quite basic inside compared to the Colt, no trip computer, temp guage etc. but it has all of the necessary features. Build quality is good, on par with the Colt. I've become very fond of the Mazda, the only really annoying things are the glovebox has a hole in it that people can see through and there is nowhere to put CD cases (other than in the glovebox!). In essence, if you need the practicality and versatility of an MPV the Colt comes highly recommended, but if you are just looking for a straighforward car instead then the Mazda is about as good as it gets in this category. It comes highly recommended.

Ashley Pluck, May 8th 2008

Capella 5dr

Update to my earlier review. When the coil pack was replaced, the dealer diagnosed a corroded HT Lead. Dealer kept car running through modifying an HT ead from another car. Mazda kept us waiting 10 weeks for a replacement until I insisted Mazda UK fit the Ford part (the 2 is based on the Fiesta/Fusion, and is built by Ford in Spain). Not impressed with Mazda UK customer service who weren't aware the 2 is Ford-based. Do not think we will buy another Mazda!!

MIKE FROST, WEST MIDLANDS, May 7th 2008