d Sport Nav 5dr

I have had my Mazda for nearly a year now. It drives very well, quick when required and cruises nicely on motorway, with little noise I find. I manage to get around ~52 mpg out of it. My only criticisms would be that it does feel rather low, or rather the rear visibility is poor. The multimedia is fiddly and entering a postcode on the satnav is still tricky a year on, as it is not logical. Nevertheless, really like it.

Mike Birkett, Greater London, December 30th 2014

SE 5dr

I can find no positives for the Mazda 3 Hatchback.] IMO no new car should be without a space saver, I felt very unsafe in the car because there was absolutely no feel in the steering. The service cost is extortionate and only a three year warranty.

Gerald Bearman, Middlesex, July 16th 2014

d [185] Sport 5dr

I have tested this car today but I didn't find it's something special. The cabin is not very spacious, the plastics are cheap. The main thing is the car looks very good from the outside, it's good to drive and the boot is good. But there is road noise which is irritating. The engine is not so punchy or frugal as the VAG ones.

Kiril Petrov, September 12th 2012

d [115] TS2 5dr

I Bought this car in summer 2011, and it is brilliant, apart from road noise which is a bit loud when on the motorway, but it handles so well and so cheap to run to run i easily get 60 mpg on the motorway and even round town it still pushes 50 mpg. The best thing is, its only 30 pound a year road tax which is brilliant i owned an Audi A4 before this car and decided to get something cheaper, i haven't missed the Audi at all. It also has loads of toys, from rain sensored wipers to automatic head lights, and has 6 disc changer in dash, bluetooth and ipod connectivity. Overall i would buy this car over any of its rivals. And it lookes fantastic.

Jason Morton, North Lanarkshire, November 3rd 2011

Takuya 5dr

Have only done 4k in six months since purchase but the Takuaya is definately a good purchase. Got me out of a hole when my previous Mazda 6 "died" - (DPF fault) - Fuel economy is not good - manage about 34 MPG in mixed urban and country side driving- have seen 44MPG but only on a dual carrageway at 60MPH. However as i was only getting 42-44MPg out of a TDI Mazda 6 and with Derv at 6 pence a litre more i seem to be winning. If only they madea Takuaya with the 1.6D engine! Equipment is excelent especially the heated seats and for the money nothing gets close

Dominic Amans, March 23rd 2011

d [185] Sport 5dr

We have just purchased the 2.2d (185) sport in the top spec with leather etc. The car is fantastic to drive and we are really impressed. This is my wife's car for the daily school run and usual city round around. The car looks stunning, has superb handling and so far everyone likes the styling!

Jabbar Sardar, West Yorkshire, March 16th 2011

S 5dr

I bought my second hand Mazda 3 TS2 18 months ago, 05 reg with 30k on the clock and have had to sell it due to the costs of things going wrong with it. Started off with the fuel filter, which was covered under warranty and since then I've had to have the injector seals changed due to engine cut outs when approaching 2,500 revs, work done on the electric windows as they all stopped working, issues with the aircon and finally now the turbo has gone, leaving shards in the oil system. In 18 months it ran well for approximately two months and during that time it was a pleasure to drive, however for the remaining time it has had little to no power or other faults resulting in having to spend over £1,500 in 18 months to keep it on the road. I am finally rid of it. Apparantly (according to Mazda) the turbo having to be replaced is a "common problem".

Kelly Mansell, shropshire, March 8th 2011

T MPS 5dr

Similar in performance to the old Vauxhall Astra GTI before catayltic converters were brought in. Stunning quick in a straight line, will easily see off a Golf GTI, even though a larger vehicle, even on basic unleaded. The higher quality petrol does aid performance, but only use this in dry weather as the wheels put down so much power they just go round and round in the wet. Nice bit of "outswing" when cornering at high speeds in the dry (do not try it in the wet!), and absolute joy to drive, and delivers much better fuel economy at high speeds on the motorway than at slow speeds around town.

M Austin, February 16th 2009

TS 5dr

My stars have probably changed from last review although my view hasn't I'm only updating to say that the car recently returned 45mpg to the tank as I sat and worked it out properly, and I reckon that's really good. I've not managed to shift a bit of bacon roll grease off the steering wheel buttons, BUT in its defense my pal got pakora sauce on the back seat and it came out no bother. HAPPY DAYS, 4,320 miles down since Dec.

Dean Barr, February 16th 2009

T MPS 5dr [Aero sports kit]

This car is all about the drivetrain. The engine is supremely powerful, with strong acceleration in any gear. Overtaking is effortless and it will cruise all day at high speed in a very understressed fashion. The car looks just like Grandma's base model 1.6 litre Mazda 3, so you are unlikely to attract the opprobrium of other drivers as you blast past them. Sadly it all falls apart when we come to consider the chassis, which is no match for the engine. As soon as you hit the twisty stuff, the shortcomings become very obvious and the car fails to meet expections. The steering is rather lifeless and on winding roads its often difficult to judge where the front wheels are pointing. Try to accelerate out of a corner and the traction control immediately jumps in to neuter the power and help the front wheels scrabble for grip, resulting in a clumsy exit. The car is a fast Grand Tourer, not a hot hatch. If you want handling then try a Golf GTi/Seat Leon/Octavia vRS/Impreza STI or Focus ST. I have now sold my MPS due to its shortcomings. This brings us to another problem - the phenominal depreciation these cars suffer. It seems that they are very unloved on the secondhand market (probably due to the very high running costs) and even Mazda dealers are reluctant to take them back in part exchange.

Ashley Lees, October 30th 2008

Sport 5dr [6]

Bought a 10 month old mazda sport from main dealers with 11k on clock as most of the reviews were very positive.First impressions were very good,good performance,style,comfort etc. Then started noticing rusty nuts and bolts,earth strap,brackets on top of front suspension turrets,brake calipers rusting and other rusting bits on suspension. Car taken back and also Mazda contacted. A couple of nuts and bolts replaced and was told there was nothing wrong with car as this is what happens. Well sorry Mazda you have not lived upto my expectations and I will be persuing this all the way

john elcock, east yorkshire, October 7th 2008

TS 5dr

Purchased new. Piston slap diagnosed in first few weeks by dealer. We rejected engine replacement. Mazda UK inspected vehicle and claimed noise was cold start device. After months of dispute an independent engineers report confirmed piston slap in 1 cylinder and an unacceptable vibration throughout the car at 3000rpm which may be linked. We are still awaiting Mazdas response!. Build quality is suspect. We may have a rogue car but either way neither Mazda or dealer seem to care about their customers. We think the average mpg is about right but as the speedo is inaccurate it is only a rough guide. This car seems to have a lot of faults that Mazda claim to be characteristics. Please don't buy one. There are much better cars supplied by dealers that care.

Graham Thomas, Suffolk, October 2nd 2008

Takara 5dr

Our Seat Ibiza and VW Polo were becoming increasingly unreliable so we decided it was time to go for hassle free motoring, ie brand new, the criteria being value for money, good looks, high build quality, reliability and more boot and passenger space. We finally decided to trade in the Seat for the 3TS. Upon returning to the dealer(Magna Mazda,Salisbury)to finalise the purchase they said that the range was about to be revised, and if we didn't mind waiting 2-3 weeks the Takara would be available. When they detailed the increased spec all for just an additional £145 we naturally didn't refuse. We took delivery just over 4 weeks ago, so its early days, but are very satisfied. The PDI was 100%, and Magna, who we would thoroughly recommend, were very easy to deal with, not pushy at all. We have now covered 1500 miles. It is comfortable with a good driving position, good rear leg and headroom, and a decent boot. Economy is approx 41mpg av.,which may improve slightly when the engine loosens up. Handling is excellent, though quite firm, and there is a degree of surface noise at speed, but not intrusive. Visually it is a vast improvement on the TS whilst the standard interior spec which includes 6CD changer, trip computer, front and rear elec windows, auto climate control, leather s/wheel etc etc make it, in my opinion, one of the best value small family cars available. So far more than pleased.

JEREMY BURNSIDE, June 10th 2008

Takara 5dr

My Brother has got one of these from National Car Hire at the moment the 1.6i Automatic. I have driven it and I find it very slugish compare to my Citroen C2 1.6i 16v Sensodrive. Its a lovely car and has great features but the power put me off it. If Mazda gave it more BHP it would be a great.

LEE BENGOUGH, May 18th 2008

Sport 5dr

I bought this about 6 weeks ago to replace the piece of rubbish I owned & reviewed before ( Renault Laguna 1.9Dci ) How happy am I now ??? VERY This is a great car, sound engine producing plenty of get up & go but still not to bad on the petrol. I cant really comment on reliabilty to much as Ive only had it a short space of time but after reading the other reviews before buying it I'm fairly confident that won't be too much of an issue. The driving postion is good, handling excellent, cabin is well equipped & easy on the eye ( Love the Orange Glow Display ) & the sound system is very good. The Only slight drawback is the alloys, Don't get me wrong there nice but how do Japanese companies manage to build such reliable, funky, well constructed & well thought out cars then NOT manage to supply them with alloys that don't flake & bubble after 4-5 years ???? It hasnt put me off owning this car though, Infact my car is in getting the Alloys Re-Furbished locally for £240 as I type this so as small cost for a small problem. If anyoner is looking for a good quality car that fun to drive I recommend this all day.

Gary Irving, May 12th 2008

T MPS 5dr

I traded in a 1.6 for a 14 month old MPS and boy is this a different beast. The styling is subtley understated - agree with previous review about not attracting unwanted attention - whilst the interior is too plush if anything. But lets get to the point...this thing is astonishingly fast. A mountain of torque in any gear means that speed builds exponentially and you really have to pay attention not to run into the chuff of anything you reel in. It will happily cruise at 80 on the motorway in 6th gear without breaking sweat. The gear change is notchy compared with a regular 3,but this only demands greater concentration and reward. The clutch is meatier and consequently more heavy than the 1.6 but I soon adjusted to it - but ladies beware. It's certainly not a town car and needs a twisty A-road to show it's forte. Beware the highest rate road duty and oil changes every 3000 miles, although my insurance was only £40 more for the year than my 1.6 Obviously the heavier you're right foot,the bigger the dent in your wallet.........but if you're not going to use the performance then there's no point owning a car like this. The ride is suprisingly good given the beefed up suspension and low profile tyres - you only really notice the poorest of road surfaces or deepest pot holes. Think long and hard about buying a car like this - but if you take the plunge you're going to be in motoring heaven.

neil finch, March 12th 2008

TS 5dr

I have owned a Mazda 3 for the last two years and in general found it to be a great car to drive. I have found the car fun to drive and sticks to the road. Quite different to my previous car which was the previous Honda Civic which used to feel like as if it was going to break away on corners. I'm not a fast driver which in some ways the Honda Civic suited my driving style whereas the Mazda 3 likes to be driven harder. Reliability has been good with the only problems being the wiper linkage which had to be changed when the car was 6 months old, The Smartnav has twice developed a problem and has had to be sorted out by the dealer. I'm not blaming Mazda for this as it wasn't a Mazda Item but was supplied and fitted by the Mazda dealer who though excepted responsibility for the faults and rectified them both times. I do though reserve my judgement on the Smartnav as it is expensive compared to other navigation systems and lacks decent visual mapping. Maybe they have improved this since mine was fitted. And finally I have complained about a knocking noise from the engine when cold, to date the dealer claims they can't hear any knocking. I have been told by an independant garage that the fault is not uncommon, which is shown by other reviews, and is infact related to the exhaust though it sounds more like a dry camshaft which quietens once the oil has circulated.

R E, January 24th 2008

S 5dr

in the three years that ive used the car, the only problem ive found is a knocking sound from the engine on start up from cold,prob due to the fack that i live on a slight incline. get about 43 mpg,car has never let me down. the only reason im changing is i require a estate car. first class car would recommend for small family.

christopher porter, wiltshire, January 20th 2008

TS 5dr

I'm the proud owner of a brand new Mazda 3 for more than a month now with more than 2000km on the clock and all I can say is that I absolutely love it! For my age (I'm 24) and needs it is more than enough. It's comfortable, has a great stereo system and runs smoothly and quietly. Reliability wise I only encountered the common (as it seems) stalling problem when launching from a complete stop (e.g. on traffic lights), a problem which seems to have gone away(hopefully) after the car's first oil change at 1000km. The 1.4 engine is slow. With 4 persons on board, slow city driving is firm and the car struggles on uphill driving. For up to 2 people though I find the pace adequate so it really doesn't bother me that much. The fuel economy is a bit disappointing but the car is still new so it may need some time to be able to perform better. For the time-being I am very pleased with the car and would recommend it to all the people interested in buying a new car. I will update this review in a few months to aid people interested in the car because i know how useful this information is for people considering to buy a new car. I hope my review helps someone, Chris

Chris Styll, January 10th 2008

TS 5dr

I have read with interest the reader reviews of the Mazda3,especially the ones from the people who have had bad experiences. I've had mine for 18 months from new and its been fantastic! Poor old Kelly R sounds totally cheesed off- but when you buy a two year old car and it turns out a shed perhaps it's not the car but the previous owner who is to blame.The only criticisms I have is that the 1.6 engine lacks a bit of torque and when manoevering on full lock its quite easy to stall the engine, and secondly the seats are a bit hard - although my wife says they are fine but she has a more upholstered bottom than me!Happy motoring

william moss, December 2nd 2007