d [175] Sport Nav 4dr

I am very pleased overall with my Mazda. Coming from a Passat cc it had a lot to live up to. The ride is a little firm but on a motorway the engine is whisper quiet & an effortless drive. Fuel consumption is good but the fuel tank indicator not linear as I get around 250 miles for the 1st quarter but not 1000 for a full tank with 50 mph easily reached with four occupants at 70mph average but less than advertised! I am disappointed with tyre wear I've just had to replace all 4 tyres at 24.5k & I have been extremely gentle with the car & the tyres are not cheap to replace with a 19inch wheel! I also had brake judder issues all sorted now but two trips to the garage not convenient. At 24.5k, 500 mile prior to registered service I had an oil warning light & had to stop on a journey to London. Whilst Mazda cover put me up in a hotel, recovered the vehicle & provided a hire car the warning light was nothing to do with oil pressure or level, there was plenty of oil in the engine. The problem was the oil had degraded to the extent that it required a change. This seems odd & perhaps Mazda should look at service intervals again as they'd serviced the car throughout? The car does look good & I do really enjoy driving the car the rear view camera takes a little getting used to but works well & is useful backing out of space as the camera has a very wide angle.

Roy Harvey, North Yorkshire, January 12th 2015

d Sport Nav 4dr

Chose Mazda 6 150 Sport as company car, this choice was based on 3 main criteria 1)Running cost 2)Reliability 3)Equipment level Unfortunately only 2 out of the 3 have proved to be true of this car. Running cost, the claimed fuel consumption figures are grossly exaggerated, my average is 53 mpg over the 10 months I've driven the car. Not bad you may think, however compared to the advertised figures of 67 mpg, its rather disappointing (compare this to my previous Honda Accord's average of 48 mpg against claimed 51 mpg). Reliability, the car has been recalled twice, and has two new sets of discs fitted to the front in an attempt to cure the severe vibration on braking. The car will be due it's 3rd service (37500 miles)shortly and again has developed a severe vibration on braking. Equipment levels, can't fault the car on that. Being the Sport Sat Nav. model, the only thing not fitted is a tea maker! I would however back up the other reviewers comments that the Tom Tom sat nav is not the best, with Live feature often unavailable.

russell mayhew, January 29th 2014

SE 4dr

The slogan for this car is "soul in motion" and it lives up to it. To drive this is a fantastic driver’s car. The handling is sweet and the power is always there when you need it. To look at it's as good as a Β£50k+ executive car, in the car park at work it sits well besides Merc’s, Audi's and BMW's, even a Maserati. Everyone comments to me how good it looks in the colour "soul red". Inside it's pleasant to look at, everything is easily accessible to the driver and comfortable. The driver seat having 3 memories plus a key memory is great when you've got a few drivers, no more fiddling to get the seat back in the right place. It is a shame the mirrors are not included in the memory as well. The Bose audio is fantastic, crank the volume, drop the windows and feel like a boy racer again. Alas I have one gripe to what is otherwise one of the best car's I've ever owned. Nav version for two reasons. 1. Having integrated navigation is a bonus, with the audio being subtly interrupted to deliver navigation instructions. 2. The TomTom "Live Services" is a fantastic idea. Live traffic meaning you can reroute long before you even hit traffic which certainly saved me sitting in a 1 hour long queue in searing temperatures a few weeks ago. In the 12 weeks I owned the vehicle the Live Services have only worked for 3 to 4 weeks. The problem is known to Mazda and under investigation, but I am left in the dark with an open ended wait to get it fixed and no interim solution.

Mike Kilby, August 16th 2013

TS 4dr

I have a 2009 "59" 1.8TS Saloon bought new from the showroom, which apparently doesn't exist as a model. It is surprisingly spritely, extremely reliable, handles wonderfully well on Scottish A and B roads and is economical to service. I can understand the reported sticky gearbox problems, as reverse is sometimes difficult to engage. The paintwork is also softer then other cars I have had, being extremely susceptible to chips. The colour "Sparkling Ebony", a sort of maroon black is also not listed for the model and in common with other black cars has a white undercoat, making chips and scratches particularly noticable.

James Toal, Fife, March 10th 2011

d TS2 [143] 4dr

I owned a Mazda 6 D TS2 for two years. Good points - excellent handling, very comfortable leather seats and relaxing to drive. Bad points - noisy (wind and tyre noise) at most speeds, poor mpg (31 mpg)and the most unreliable car I have ever owned. At 1 year old, the engine failed completely (bits of the pistons ended up in the sump, the turbo failed twice, oh and the car went on fire on the M25. I bought the car of course for its famed reliability!

Dale Arden, Surrey, January 23rd 2009

TS 4dr

The Car has only covered 27,000 miles in 6 years from new, But the build quality is terrible. I have had the full rear of the car rebuilt under the anti corrosion warranty. {Good job they give the car 12 years cover}. The car is nice to drive but new front disks & pads at 22,000 miles I think is a bit too soon. New rear pads at 25,000. I am getting on in years so it is not my "boy racer" driving that is causing this. The windows have a mind of there own some times they work & some times they have a day off. Maybe I got a duff one but I am not too keen on trying another mazda any time soon.

R Brown, lanarkshire, January 7th 2009

d TS2 [136] 4dr

I was sorry to read what Rebecca had to say about this model, as the 2-litre diesel (for me) has been exceptional. I bought the car (04 reg) with 7,000 miles recorded, when 6-months old, and it has now done 64,000 miles. Average fuel return has been 50mpg. I have nothing negative to say about the car, which is very quiet at all speeds, apart perhaps from 1st gear when cold - 1st gear can be stiff to engage first thing in a morning, but within half mile all is OK. Handling is first rate, and mid-gear acceleration quite impressive. I am also now on my third set of tyres (Toyo Proxes), which have covered 25,000 miles and probably have c. 5,000 left in them. Serviced every 12,500 miles, and with no MoT failures (or repairs), I can wholeheartedly recommend this car to anyone - sorry Rebecca.

Mike Hayden, South Yorkshire, June 10th 2008

d TS [143] 4dr

The Mazda 6 ts diesel (2003) has been so unreliable I have only owned the car for 12 months and have only spent 3 months of that actually driving the car and spend nearly Β£5,000 so far fixing the problems. Clutch with double fly wheel, brand new turbo, cracked piston, fuel problems and still it is in the garage being fixed again. I say do not buy a mazda 6 diesel the worst car I have owned and very expense to rectify the problems and most parts have to be brought from Mazda themselves who charge the earth.

Rebecca Daffern, Warwickshire, January 19th 2008

T MPS AWD 4dr

I've had my Mazda 6 MPS for just over 8 months now and found it to be a fantastic car,a real wolf in sheeps clothing.I bought a pre registered model with 100 miles on the clock and got a big saving on the new price. It is a family size car you can drive like a normal 1.8 or it can put a smile on your face all day long with its 256 bhp performance. Build quality is good and it has all the toys on it that you would expect,including sat nav. I have just had it serviced and it was very resonable compared to other cars in this class. I have only one word to some up this car, FANTASTIC!

john bremner, October 17th 2007

T MPS AWD 4dr

Owned the car for a month now. Great performance and handling, although the steering could do with more feel. Equipment levels are good, with a very comfortable driving position. Long journeys are dealt with ease. MPG on the motorway is surprising for a car with this HP, I reckon it comes in at 30 mpg easily. Cannot comment on reliability yet, but my last Mazda (RX8) was faultless. I bought an ex-demo, which is the best way to buy the car as the residuals are poor. However if you go in with your eyes open to the running costs, and the residuals, then I reckon that this is a bargain performance car, which handles pragmatic duties as a family car with ease. Note well: If you are buying an ex-demo and it is close to 3000 miles, be aware that the car needs an oil change at 3000 miles. I didn't realise this until after the purchase and missed the opportunity to negotiate the oil change prior to purchase. Ouch!

Douglas Tullis, August 30th 2007

T MPS AWD 4dr

I bought the car in February 2007 knowing that, if pressed, it would not be fuel-efficient and this has proved to be correct. I do, however, not regret buying the MPS, as for many years, after a period of real enthusiasm, I have been pretty bored with driving, but the Mazda, as soon as you touch the seat, says 'drive me' and I do. The police have only pulled me over once! As a near 60-year old, I have almost reverted to my boy racer days. The car is also wonderfully comfortable and well behaved at low speed. It is really well equipped with the exception of an extra-cost MP3 player. I love the Bose sound system and the whole package is more subtle than the brash Evos and Subarus. It's a stylish wolf in sheep's clothing, although some people would appreciate a more macho engine/exhaust note. I'm happier to forego this so that the 6 CD audio system is crystal clear. If this car maintains Mazda's renowned reliability, I'll be keeping it for a long time - providing oil is still available and I'm still alive!

Robert McAuley, June 15th 2007

T MPS AWD 4dr

I have had a 2.3 MPS for 18 months now and have covered 30,000 miles. This car is so good to drive, I grin like an idiot as soon as I climb in. Reliability-wise, it has been 100% perfect, despite its hard life under my right foot. If you base your car-buying on decisions with your head, don't touch it - it costs a small fortune to run and the depreciation is shocking. Don't expect to be able to sell it easily, especially with the way petrol prices and road tax are going - my purchasing decision was 100% heart on this one. I was thinking of changing my wife's BMW for a 6 diesel estate to cut my running costs to the office a bit, but was rather suprised to read a lot of bad reviews about the engines. I had a 6 Estate TS2 before the MPS and that was flawless as well - it did over 50,000 miles, although I did not have the diesel before. I might look at a second-hand Mondeo TDCi instead. Because nobody likes them, they are a bit of a second-hand bargain.

PETER SYMES, KENT, April 22nd 2007

TS2 4dr

My wife and I traded in our old Nissan Almera GTi for the five-door petrol TS2 when our little one came along. As a family car, it can't be beaten for space and practicality. There is plenty of room for all the things you need to take with you (pushchair etc). The 2.0-litre engine means you get a good drive, although I still long for a bit more oomph - unfortunately I can't afford the MPS yet! We both absolutely love the look of the car and have never had any problems with it (touch wood). We're now saving our pennies for the MPS! I would recommend the Mazda 6.

Simon Taylor, Cornwall, February 13th 2007

d TS2 [136] 4dr

I have owned this car for two-and-a-half years now. I am generally pleased with it overall but it has not been as good or as reliable as I thought it would have been. The fuel flap release mechanism failed, a headlight motor has failed, and I ran out of fuel when the trip meter said I could still do 85 miles. The heater takes an age to warm the car up and the air-conditioning has lost its effectiveness. The road noise on the motorway is worse than expected, creaks on the dashboard have appeared and the speakers vibrate at a decent volume. It averages 52mpg, feels smooth to drive and has a good driver's position.

Alan McCracken, Staffs, February 10th 2007

Sport 4dr

I actually have the 5door hatch version of the 2.3 sport. Test drove the 2.0 TS2 and loved the style, the cabin etc, but felt it just didn't have enough oomph! So splashed out the extra few Β£'s and what a worthwhile few Β£'s it was. The reason i wanted the car was because of the new addition to the family (Hence family saloon, big boot etc etc) but this is more than that. I didn't have the cash to buy a BMW and if i did, the only one i could afford would be a 1.6 and did i want that? No! This car feels a lot quicker than it says, it handles so well, the stereo is straight out of the top drawer, the fuel economy is as you would expect from this engine, the service costs are low (Years ago i paid more for a little renault clio to be serviced!) the mazda garage are great. I bought this on the internet, and have it serviced near to home. I had a minor problem with a warning light, and they sorted it no problem, were very attentive and the girl in the dealership is particularly good looking too! Quips aside, a great car, a good price for the quality you get, and leave the 'sport' badge off like me and you really can surprise the hordes of BMW, Audi boys leaving them for dust. Great car

Matt Mills, January 18th 2007

T MPS AWD 4dr

Zoom Zoom!! This is a Japanese sports saloon that does not make you feel you have to drive like a maniac all the time. It has surprised the local Evo's, but you can also trundle along at a sedate pace. Handling is great. These twisty Scottish roads make the perfect daily commute for the MPS. A car like this is wasted in a town it needs the open road. Cabin quality to the best I have ever had, having had mainly Subarus before. Everything is clear and within easy reach. The electrically operated seats allow minute adjustment to get the perfect driving position. The MPS closest rival is Subarus Legacy Spec B, an awesome car but more expensive, when you consider my MPS cost Β£19500 with 12 months tax, 3 years servicing and metallic paint. This is a great car.

Andrew Boden, Argyll, December 7th 2006

Sport 4dr

A sublime example of what Mazda can achieve when it wants to. Plus: Great to drive. The handling is superb in twisties and back roads. Highway cruises are exceptionally relaxing (w/ cruise control. The triptronic gear is god-send for immediate overtaking manoveurs. Sound system is way above average. The sunroof lets in a sunny ambience in the cabin. The space and boot is the right size for a family. Minus: Ride is fidgety on slightly damaged road surfaces. Engine is slightly short of breath at the intial take off. Wind noise can be improved. Not a frugal engine by class standards: averaging 10.4 litres per 100km. Overall: Makes a BMW and Audi feel severely overpriced ego-trips and a triumph of vanity over substance. Given the same German budgets, it's inconcievable that Mazda (and Honda) can't do a far better job.

Ling Z Tee, December 1st 2006

T MPS AWD 4dr

Having owned an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro for the last three years I wanted to try something a bit different. The A4 in quattro form is a superb car but the 1.8T engine is a little under powered. What I wanted was all the benifits of the 4 wheel drive but with a bit more go. The more powerful A4's are are bit on the expensive side so I had a look around to see what else was on the market. The Mazda 6 MPS offered all the benifits of the 4 wheel drive plus it offered 256bhp, so I took the plunge. I was not disappointed either. What the Mazda lacks in build quality compared with the A4, it more than makes up for in drive ability and the sheer fun factor. It puts a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel. The only downside to all this power is fuel consumptin. Drive it carefully on a long run and you will get what Mazda says it will do, around 28 mpg. Drive it hard and the consumption drops in to the high teens! Other than that, if you are looking for a sensible family car that we blast most boy racers off the road then look no further.

Ian Davies, November 5th 2006

T MPS AWD 4dr

I have owned the mps for about 5months i'm a high mileage user and have clocked up about 19k it's a great fantastic fun car to drive.I had an x-type jaguar previously which was a good cruseing car.Servicing costs are low.The only problem that i have with mazda is it's service,the car developed a fault of clouds of black smoke coming from the exhaust's even at idle!.Mazda service really don't seem to know what they are doing! & they seem to be unwilling to spend the money to fix it even though it's under warranty.

jason smith, November 4th 2006

TS2 [147] 4dr

2.0 TS2 Estate actually. Fantastic car, total reliability over 40,000 miles, although i do have to sometimes clean it. Great to drive, very practical, superb equipment level, pretty good running costs also. In fact so impressed i am about to trade it in....... for a 6 MPS. Can hardly wait. well done Mazda

PETER SYMES, KENT, August 11th 2006