Mercedes-Benz Vaneo MPV Owner reviews

CDI Ambiente 5dr

We have driven this car for three years and it meets our requirements. A good deal from Mercedes direct meant that the price was competitive. It works well as a family car and as a small business car for catering jobs. All the back seats come out to leave a large space, which has been more useful than our second car, which is an estate. The automatic works well and the diesel feels reasonable (never worked out the fuel consumption). I would recommend it for those with this sort of specific need.

Geoff Clements, Herts, May 13th 2008

CDI Family 5dr

I own this car for about 5 years now. became one of the first costumers of this model. never planed to have one this kind, but with 3 kids and a large breed dog I needed a car that will hold all need belongings and will provide confrot for the kids, safety not to miss and easy to mentain (I am a single mother of 3 kids, so this is not least important). now, my car is on 90 000 km, 50 % made in "stuffed" city of Sofia, 20 % in my country traveling around and mainly to the my mountain cabin and 30 % achieved around Europe, traveling for my family's summer vacations. great performance, confortable and not less important - fuel provident. for the time being together not much issues about the maintenance - the usual oil lube, filters, etc. on 85 000 km. had to change somethings in the brakes (nothing major), front springs got broken because of the holes on the road (here we have plenty of them) but the rest of the car is ok, even more than ok. not much gatgets and extras, but the car is safe, spacy and in's a benz after all. in my opinion it's a good car with good qualities. depends of what you'r looking for - a fancy mercedes or a spacy, safe and confortable benz. LOL

Gloria Stoilov, BULGARIA, February 20th 2008

Ambiente [102Bhp] 5dr

I picked up a demonstrator from a main Merc dealer, only 3 months old, for an incredible Β£10,000. It only had 2,900 miles on the clock. This has got to be the bargain of the century. I just use the Vaneo as a runabout, my main car is an SL500. But I'm perfectly happy driving the Vaneo. Performance is very limited, so the engine needs to be worked hard. Excellent gearchange, very precise. Nice light controls. Everything feels good quality. I love the high, front-located driving position. Ride is fine, maybe a bit too firm. The main advantage is the practicality - massive boot, and the rear seats fold down, or remove easily. Overall, for the Β£10k I paid for a demonstrator, for the top engine & trimmed model, this was an amazing bargain. A new Merc for Β£10k !! I can forgive it anything for that. As a good quality, basic runabout car, I find it absolutely smashing.

paul scott, Hampshire, May 4th 2006

CDI Ambiente 5dr

I have had this car (cost free) for one week while my other car was repaired at the Mercedes dealership. This is a real clunker of a car. It is pokey inside and standard equipment (even by Mercedes standards) is poor. There is also very high road noise, and the diesel engines are totally gutless. It doesn't feel at all like a Mercedes in any respect, and is very poorly executed compared to competitors in this market segment. Save yourself a lot of money and annoyance and buy something else.

Michael Maloney, Lincs, February 16th 2006

CDI Ambiente 5dr

The Mercedes-Benz dealer gave first-class sevice on a one-year-old auto model. Buying at this time gave optimal value for money, compared with its competitors. Reviews, in my opinion, bias towards this model's performce limitations and not its wonderful practicalities. Higher-spec versions do also appear less 'van like'. For growing families that want a quality and practical MPV, that does what it says on the tin, I recommend this model.

simon mulvany, April 21st 2005

Ambiente [102Bhp] 5dr

My wife chose this car to replace her diesel Multipla. That was a great car let down by poor build quality and a small boot. The Vaneo has a massive boot with five seats up and is postively cavernous with all the seats out. Being a Mercedes, we thought the build quality would be good. This car has been the most unreliable machine I have ever owned. Never in 20 years of motoring have I had as many problems with a car as with this one. It has had a failed steering column, two new seats, worn rear suspension parts causing two shredded tyres in under 19,000 miles, a new instrument cluster, a replacement arm rest, and new dashboard vents. I could go on but there is a 1500 word limit on the length of this review. What is most depressing is that the car is basically sound but let down by a nail of an engine and the appalling build quality. It's actually quite fun to drive. For carrying the kids and for camping, it's very practical. It can carry huge amounts of luggage and big pieces of furniture etc, and the sliding doors are fantastic in a car park. But all of this is undone by the terrible build quality. We had to go for the petrol version as it was the only one that fitted the spec as close to our ideal as possible. It goes well but is noisy and is not that quick. The biggest issue is the fuel economy. Forget the official figures, it will only do 28-30mpg combined, if you are lucky. A potentially great car let down by a manufacturer whose standards I believe have fall

Niall McQuitty, April 16th 2005

CDI Ambiente 5dr

I have never been compelled to write a car review but I have loathed this veichle for the past 18 months. I previously had a Galaxy as a company car and the Vaneo doesn't begin to compare. Put simply, the engine and road noise is no different to driving a van, the performance is frustratingly bad with no power on the slightest of inclines and that's without a load. The cabin quality and build is cheap. I had one of five in a fleet and ALL cars had a fuel-injection problem at around 20k miles. The only positive is the load space, which is great, is marred by the constantly sticking and sometimes unmovable seats. I traded the car for a Freelander two days ago and it's taken two weeks of hard grafting around the forecourts to get any kind of a deal because of the bad rep the car has. The real reason I am writing this review, however, is the instability and sketchiness of the handling. All my colleagues share the view that the car is unsafe over 50/60mph in wind and rain, and, if it is, it certainly doesn't give that impression.

chris isherwood, April 3rd 2005