Mitsubishi Lancer Saloon Owner reviews

DI-D GS2 5dr

Take reader reviews with a pinch of salt as they are based on own their driving experiences, the range of vehicles they drive and how well they drive (always perfectly, right?! - not on your nelly!) ENGINE - While some drivers feel that a lot of power in one place is a bad thing (like the What Car reviewer), others find this power very suitable especially when cruising; drop a cog to overtake and the power is right there waiting to bring you back up to speed quickly and efficiently. And it will keep pulling beyond where you should be. GEAR BOX - First is very short considering the torque this car has, changing to second is lumpy as the turbo stops spinning a little too quickly - the answer is a faster gear change, but this causes erratic driving. Another reviewer was spot on about dropping down through the lower gears. HANDLING - Motorway driving is superb, a little movement is felt with crosswinds, but this isn't a 3 ton Mercedes. Chuck it about and it responds quickly and solidly; it will catch lesser skilled drivers out though as it does respond very positively. Minimal cornering roll, most of it coming from the big tyres. OTHER STUFF - Well equipped for the money. Crusie Control is excelent, it doesn't need to catch up like Ford's. Voice control Bluetooth connectivity, AUX port for MP3, Lots of Airbags, ISOFix, all good., general build quality is not a VW or Merc; you get what you pay for. STYLING - Front is very Manly, Sides look a bit dull, back is proper Girly!

Ian Flya, County, April 8th 2011

GS3 5dr

And the motto is? ........... Dont believe anything you read from the What car reviews - always check out the readers reviews first, after all they are driving the car everyday. My last 3 cars have been a 2009 New Renault Scenic Dunamique 1.5dci - 2007 VW Golf 1.6 fsi - 2007 Nissan Qashqui Visia 1.6 -Yes i change my car often. The Lancer is better looking - Handles better (thanks to the Mitsubishi active stabilty and traction control)- and puts a smile on your face when driving. Its not the quickest 1.8 and certainly not the most enviromentally friendly ( Tax band - J) but throw this into corners/roundabouts/chicanes and the car lets you know its a proper drivers car. Yokohama low profiles on 18" stunning alloys grips the road. The interior is a no nonsense but pleasing approach with everything there that should be. At 70mph on cruise control the car returns 40mpg. Top speed 122mph. My car is in metallic black and has attracted more comments than my previous 3 cars put together. If id paid any attention to What cars (biased?) reviews Id still be driving a sensible but boring Renault Scenic family MPV. Time to get back to what driving should be about - Pleasure. Oh and did I mention 3 years warranty - 3 years free breakdown cover and 3 years free servicing? and its a Mitsubishi!

KENNETH HENDERSON, WIRRAL, April 2nd 2011

GS4 4dr

THE NEW MITSUBISHI LANCER IS A FANTASTIC CAR AND I DON'T SAY THIS LIGHTLY ALSO OWNING AN AUDI Q7 S-LINE AND A FORD FIESTA ZETEC BLUE. I HAVE CARS FROM BROAD SPECTRUMS AND THE INTERIOR OF THE LANCER IN VERY CLOSE TO THAT OF MY Q7. MY LANCER IS THE 1.8 CVT GS4 I RAIDED THE EXTRAS BROCHURE AND REALLY KITTED IT OUT. I WOULD JUST ALSO LIKE 2 SAY THE VIDEO REVIEW ON THIS WEBSITE IS IN ACCURTE AND MISLEADING THE PRICE AND ENGINE INFO GIVEN IS THAT OF THE PREVIOUS GENERATION LANCER BECAUSE THEY SAY THE STARTING PRICE IS UNDER 10K WHICH IS INCORRECT AND THEY SAID THERE IS NO DIESEL OPTION AND THE PETROL ENGIES ARE A 1.6 AND A 2.0 WHICH ARE THE ENGINES FROM THE PREVIOUS LANCER ALSO. THE NEW LANCER OFFERS A 1.8 PETROL AND 2.0 DIESEL SO I THINK WHAT CAR NEED TO GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE THEY SLATE A PERFECTLY GOOD CAR.

steve hadley, February 10th 2009

GS4 4dr

The build quality is excellent,so are equipment levels.Hanldling is very good although engine noise at lower gears is obtrusive.Ride quality is fine and cabin is spacious.Exterior styling attracts attention but interior could be classier. Overall I am very happy with my new top of the range lancer and cannot understand your 2 star rating?Other Car magazines have awarded this "new lancer" 3,4 & even 4.5 star ratings. Please delete my previous review.

Paul Lopez, Cadiz, November 8th 2008

DI-D GS4 4dr

To get the best out of this car you seriously need to take it out of it's comfort zone. Over here in Germany I have every opertunity to do this! It is quite noisy when driven 'normally' however, once opened up you seem to forget the noise. As for comfort, it's roomy and doubles up nicely as a family car. The GS4, in my eyes is probably the only one worth getting though as it includes the full euro road map nav system, and a decent sound system. It's got a few other party tricks too, but i'll let you find them out!

Gareth Weatherhead, August 8th 2008

Equippe 4dr

I had this car for a month.its good value and super handling.the 1.6 engine auto which I have lacks power but get used to it.Does anyone know its Safari Rally winner in hands of Joginder Singh. I am happy.next time I will go for EVO.

Baboo Sudra, July 9th 2008

Equippe 4dr

I have owned this car for 3 months now. Loving every minute of it. Got it for Β£8999 when they were knocking Β£1000 off due to a new model coming out. Glad I got it. Everything I could want in a car. Powerful when you need it but also very comfortable and lots of boot space. Only thing I have done to the car is changed the stereo to the one I had in my previous car because of ipod connection and blutooth connection. Other than that car is standard and wouldnt change a thing

Paul Foreman, essex, June 30th 2008

Sport 4dr

I recently bought the 2.0 Sport version after Mitsubishi knocked Β£1000 off the already low price of Β£11,499 due to the introduction of the new model. This car is a bit of a hidden gem, a well equipped, fast, 2.0-litre sports saloon with excellent handling for supermini money. An Astra or Focus with this specification would have cost five or six thousand pounds more. The interior is a very pleasant place to be, apart from one or two cheap (but durable) looking bits. The whole car feels substantial and well made. The seats are very comfortable and the interior spacious. My only complaint is the rather cheap stereo/CD player. The ride balances sportiness and comfort well. The handling is excellent with very little body roll and the powerful, revvy 2.0-litre engine copes easily with all driving environments. This Lancer has now been superseded, but you can still buy them for a lot less than the new version, or check out the very low second-hand prices. Either way, this car represents an excellent overall package at a great value for money price.

G.J. Shorrock, Cheshire, March 28th 2008

Equippe 5dr

With a limited budget, long term reliability low and running costs as an essential, the Lancer really chose itself. Low new prices mean low used prices, the Focus and Astra are 50% more. Fit and paint finish are excellent, the inside less impressive with a dull fascia, but comfortable, supportive seats are a redeeming feature. Well placed and logical controls have a nice action, but the stereo is very small and has fiddly controls. The trim looks durable with plenty of storage space. Passenger space is good front and back, at the expense of luggage space which is a poorer than rivals. There many hidden compartments under the floor, but I would rather have a lower deck and a double fold rear seat instead of just the backrest. Equipment wise it has everything need, and nothing you don't. The steering is over-light in slow corners, the supple ride is good on country roads and the handling safe and predictable. The 1.6 engine won’t set the road alight, but it is tuned for toque rather than power and with nicely judged gear ratios it never feels slow, 3rd gear being just right for overtaking. It can get rowdy much above 80 or when extended, but otherwise is quiet and exceptionally smooth. Mpg for us is in the low 40s but this reflects the cars rural habitat. To be honest the Lancer does not excel at any one thing, but Judged by its price it allows the impecunious buyer to own a much newer and lower mileage car than he otherwise would.

Andrew Turner, January 24th 2008

Elegance 4dr

I bought the car in October 2007 with 2400 miles on the clock for Β£7000 which is excellent value for an eight month old 4 door saloon. I have found the car very easy to drive due to light controls and an excellent gearbox.I have been getting about 38mpg which is pretty good for a car of this size. The car feels really assured on the road and goes round bends at high speed with ease.It is also very quiet on the motorway and eats up the miles. In summary I would recommend the lancer to anyone who wants a reliable family car with good specification and doesnt want to pay a fortune to own it. When I drive the lancer I just dont feel like it will ever break down as it feels really solidly made and isnt to gadgety.

andrew cooling, merseyside, January 19th 2008

Sport 5dr

I bought this car, 2.0 Sport, mid Jun 05. Without having a test drive I was quite impressed with the ride and didn't have any complaints. That is until the radio facia started to come away on the left hand side due to loose fitting clips (which are a nightmare to get to). The build quality is fairly good apart from the above mentioned and coming fitted with a 10 disc CD changer wasn't a bad thing. I find though that this car is EXTREMELY thirsty and I find myself constantly on the petrol sation forecourt. When it came to replace tyres then that was quite emotional also as they are quite pricey. Overall a good motor but I would get friendly with your local petrol pump attendant.

Paul Farrell, West Sussex, August 28th 2007

Equippe 5dr

I picked up a pre-launch model black Lancer estate which was still registered to Mitsubishi when I got it - only 11 months old at Β£3k less than list price. What a great find - the car is superbly equipped for the price range and is a joy to drive. I have put 40k miles on the clock and the car still looks and drives like new. Main dealer servicing can be pricey, but Mitsubishi reliability ensures that upkeep costs are relatively low. Styling looks great - it's still a fairly rare car and I have had a number of complimentary comments about its sporty looks (unusual for an estate). Luggage space is fantastic, making the Lancer extremely versatile. I won't look past Mitsubishi for my next buy - and I'm looking forward to the 2008 models.

Derrick Ross, August 6th 2007

Elegance 5dr

Although I have selected the 1.6 Elegance, mine is an '03 1.6 Sport which has the sport chassis, mobo wheel etc. I changed to the Mitsubishi from a Nissan Primera 1.6 and immediately enjoyed a big power surge. The car handles very well with excellent road holding and good stopping power. Turning circle is very good for a car of its size which makes parking almost a joy. Comparing with the very thrifty Nissan is harsh but my country driving agrees with the published figure of around 40mpg. Great for the performance available. Despite reviews complaining about noise, I find it to be unusually quiet except at high speed with windows down. The air conditioning is more efficient than driving with open windows on a warm day so that is not a problem. I would describe the fittings as practical and durable rather than pretty. But there are lots of nooks and crannies for storing things. The seats are comfortable and ideal for long road-trips. Rear leg room is also very good. My model is fitted with a Pioneer radio/CD so no complaints there, especially after the Nissan non-standard unit. I would have preferred an MP3 player but that's small matter. I like the styling of the Estate and that the floor is about level with the tailgate. This is a big advantage as we have a service dog that has to accompany us much of the time.

Brian Finn, Tipperary, June 26th 2007

Equippe 4dr

Any lancer fans should surely check out the monster we built from what was originally a 1.6 2005 model. From the same car you are all driving, we turned it into a 2.4 Liter Turbo-charged, ALL Wheel drive, highly-tuned supercar! Observe the UK's most awesome Lancer - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2537399 The car is absolutely fantastic in the form we built - much better and faster than a factory Evolution model. Even in its original form it was a fantastic car, great value for money. We paid Β£8,999 for the car, and then Β£5000 turning it into something even better than the Β£37,000 Evolution - and whats more, it was easy to do!

Dan Farrell, May 1st 2007

Elegance 5dr

I had reviewed this car previously soon after I purchased it as being pretty good. I now have to report a very dire situation. This potentially as I originally said is a great car. There is supposed to be a 3 year warranty with it, but this is a joke. Unfortunately a lot went wrong with this car at 11 months old. The electric windows did not work properly, the driver's seat leather upholstery became detached, the windscreen cracked because of a faulty spot weld in manufacture, both windscreen wipers fell apart, and the air conditioning did not work. Mitsubishi will not honour the "warranty" on any of these faults. They state at 11 months car is too old. The dealer has been disinterested, and letters to the Colt Car Co. in UK are unanswered as are e-mails. I am now writing to Japan in desperation. Don't risk buying this car. It has a fake warranty!

RD Feltham, Essex, March 30th 2007

Sport 4dr

i have found this car excelent in every way . the power is a big boost on the 1.6 for not much more money. the car is easy to drive and is my first car it goes well in town with a lot of torque but picks up when it gets out of town i managed to get a big discount from the main dealer bringing my total to Β£10 000 which is a lot of car for the money

scott thompson, north yorkshire, March 6th 2007

Sport 5dr

I saw this gleaming red estate car as a pre-registered motor at the Mitsubishi dealership. Less than Β£10,000 for a new Japanese 2.0-litre car can't be bad. The reviews in motor magazines were so-so, but after test-driving it, I was very impressed. The car is roomy, comfortable, quick, in my eyes quite stylish, and thus far very reliable (10,000 miles). The reviews say it is noisy, and an unexceptional drive. These people are comparing it with other makes that cost considerably more. My only complaints are the basic radio, and the fact that there is no sunroof (not really much to complain about, I'd say). If you are thinking of buying, go for it. Well done to Mitsubishi for producing an excellent car at a bargain price.

stuart jones, February 9th 2007

Elegance 5dr

I agree with previous reviewer. I have a Lancer Elegance estate and am completely satisfied and impressed. My only minor criticism is that the power steering is too powerful and sensitive. I have not yet got used to this and tend to oversteer at speed. It does not transmit sufficient feel of road conditions back to driver - but you can park it literally with one finger. It's a pity they did not include some sort of driver adjustment to vary sensitivity for different tastes (e.g. male/female), but most women would probably like this steering. Most professional reviewers seem to be unfairly prejudiced and critical always against Japanese cars and their reviewing of this car is no exception. Don’t believe them, because their comparisons are not realistic for ordinary drivers. I cannot fault this car apart from the power steering. The equipment which you get for the money with this car is impressive. The same specification on a Vauxhall or Ford model would cost additional an Β£6000, which is a very large percentage extra OTR. Metallic or pearlescent paint and alloy wheels is included at no extra charge! Also, you get the better reliability of a Japanese design and the Mitsubishi rally pedigree (basically the same body as the Evolution.) So I would recommend this model to anyone looking for something in the Astra or Focus estate category. You would not regret the money you will save and the higher specification.

RD Feltham, December 29th 2006

Equippe 4dr

A fantastic car for small money. Whisper quiet and refined, a pleasure to drive. The auto box is superb, economy is very good. Altogether a nice package. A "proper" motor car for less money than some small buzzy super minis. Treat youself!!

Murray Glynn, Yorkshire, October 9th 2006

Elegance 4dr

I took a test drive in the 2.0 Lancer Sport (you need to update your magazine's look up table to make this vehicle option available - It's on the way - ED). The road was very wet and the car's responsiveness was excellent. The 2.0 litre sport offers tremendous value for money e.g. 9.5 sec 0-62 time and a real sporty feel to the cabin. The interior isn't as futuristic as say a Citroen C4 or even a Seat Leon but it has everything you need in terms of electrics, air-con, CD etc. There are very few cars to compare which come only in saloon body style and I am sure this helps to keep the cost new, about Β£2-4 thousand below the competition.

Robin Ryder, September 4th 2006