• The kit you'lll need to carry abroad...
  • ...plus safety and driving laws
  • 16 most-popular destinations covered
Words By Pete Barden

Need a valuation?

Obtain a FREE used car valuation for any vehicle.


An article image
An article image

Here's what you'll need to know when driving in Belgium. Don't forget to carry a form of photo ID, such as a passport if your licence doesn't include a photograph. The drink-drive limit is lower than in the UK at 50mg, rather than our 80mg per 100ml of blood.

Road deaths per 100,000 of population. UK average 3.1 (2010):
β€’7.6 per 100,000 of population

Minimum age for drivers
β€’21 to rent a car

Maximum speed limit

β€’120kph/75mph (the minimum speed on motorways is 43mph)
Open roads:
Urban areas:

Alcohol limit per 100ml of blood

Equipment required in car
β€’Warning triangle
β€’Headlamp converters. These are stickers on your headlights, which prevent oncoming motorists being dazzled by UK-configured headlamps
β€’Reflective jacket. Must be worn if drivers stop outside built-up areas
β€’A fire extinguisher is recommended
β€’A first aid kit is recommended

Documentation to be carried
β€’Full British licence (if it's not a photo version, you'll need another form of photographic ID, such as a passport)
β€’Original registration document, or hire-car paperwork
β€’Motor insurance policy

Exterior markings
β€’A GB sticker unless 'Euro-plates' are fitted

General requirements
β€’Seatbelts must be worn by all vehicle occupants

On the spot fines issued

Radar detectors
β€’Forbidden, however sat-nav systems with speed camera locations are permitted

This information is intended as a guide to driving in the aforementioned country, but is not intended as legal advice. It is the driver's responsibility to ensure they follow national driving laws.