What safety kit do I need when abroad?

  • Your car questions answered
  • From gearboxes to driving abroad
  • Ask us here, too
Words ByWhat Car? Staff

Need a valuation?

Obtain a FREE used car valuation for any vehicle.


An article image
An article image

Q) On a recent holiday in France, I discovered that drivers on French roads must carry certain pieces of safety equipment by law, including a warning triangle and a high-visibility jacket. Are there similar laws in Britain?
Andrew Lee

Most European countries insist that drivers carry certain items in case of an emergency, but there are no such laws in Britain.

Still, just because it isnt the law, that doesnt mean it isnt sensible to have a bag of useful kit in your boot. We recommend carrying the following in your car at all times:
β€’ warning triangle
β€’ replacement light bulbs
β€’ high-visibility jacket
β€’ first-aid kit
β€’ fire extinguisher
β€’ a spare wheel and jack, or a can of tyre-repair foam