Owners of new Volvo cars will be able to download an app to their smartphone that will let them communicate with their car, control functions remotely and download trip information.
The free download will be available for owners of 2012 model year Volvos. It is an extension of Volvo On Call the service that assists owners in accidents and emergencies.
The app features
• Car locator - displays the location of the car on a map, and has a digital compass pointing the driver in the right direction. With a tap of the screen the car horn and indicators can be activated too.
• Remote door lock - the status of all doors and windows is displayed - and the driver can lock and unlock the car with a push on the touch screen.
• Vehicle dashboard - gives the driver access to: fuel level, remaining range to empty tank, average fuel consumption, average speed, odometer reading and trip meter reading.
• Car check - performs a 'health' check of the car, displaying information about bulbs, brake fluid level, coolant level, engine oil level and engine oil pressure.
• Driving journal - detailed data of each trip during the last 40 days which can downloaded and extracted as an Excel file.
• Vehicle information - basic car data such as model, registration number and VIN number.
• Theft notification - if the car alarm is triggered, the driver is alerted via their smartphone.
The mobile app is free and can be downloaded via the iPhone and Android application stores.