na 5dr Auto

I have had the leaf 3 weeks now and love every minute in it. I probably wouldn't have bought it only we're a two car household and while the Leaf will do my 84 mile daily commute with a 10-15 min fast charge over lunch I am aware there are times the leaf won't be suitable for the few times a year we want to go on a really long drive, though we would have the option to borrow an ice car. However the Leaf does what it does fantastically well. It does however mean that your days of beating down the motorway at 70-90 mph are gone, if you can't live with this then the Leaf isn't the car for you. On shorter trips you can do 80-90 mph if you wish. I Drive the leaf in a similar manner I did the Prius and I would say this time of year in the cold I would need to be close to a charge point after 60 miles driving about 50-60 mph. Possibly get 65-70 miles but I wouldn't risk it. Summer should see the range increase by about 10-12 miles, we'll see. The Leaf has very good acceleration but it's limited to prevent wheel spin from 0 mph, it could do with 4 wheel drive for more grip because it can still spin wheels taking off from junctions but once moving and you hit that throttle it does take off quiet fast. Over taking is fantastic at up to 50 mph after that it feels like a normal car with in or around 100 HP. The Leaf is quiet heavy about the same as a Honda CRV. The suspension is comfortable but the 17" wheels on the Tekna make you feel the road more but it's not uncomfortable.

Mark O ' Byrnes, Kildare, February 15th 2015

na 5dr Auto

I took delivery of my top of the range Tekna in mid October and have now had the car for 1 month and have covered 1000 miles of mainly local journeys. I have used the rapid charging network several times and love the fact that I can "refill" my car to 80% in 30mins (free of charge)whilst I grab a comfort stop and a coffee - which is more than paid for by the saving in fuel costs (versus my regular car)! However most times I charge the car on my driveway at home via the free home charging unit. The fit and finish of the car is fantastic with high quality leather, which I think is better than in my BMW. The acceleration (with ECO button off) is amazing and has surprised a few friends who were EV doubters. The gadgets are superb - Bluetooth phone and music, large sat nav, Bose music system, heated steering wheel and heated seats (front and rear), folding mirrors, 360 degree all round parking cameras, cruise control +++ I happen to have a day and night electric meter, so I usually preset my car to start recharging at 11.30pm (low rate tariff). However now the icy mornings have come I set the "carwings" electronic management system to turn on the air heating and heated steering wheel 10 minutes before I leave in the morning (and whilst still hooked up to the mains - so it doesn't impact on the range) and no ice scraping for me! Driving the car in normal conditions I achieve circa 90 mile range - which is more than adequate for me most days. Only negative- no heated door mirrors.

Gavin Derriman, Surrey, November 24th 2014

nta 5dr Auto

Having first test driven the Nissan Leaf for a couple of hours , I was so impressed that I took up the government offer of a free fitting of the power point at my home , in order to reassure myself with a longer test drive which I arranged to experience what it would really be like to own and run a Nissan Leaf , the experience only served to impress me further and convince me that my decision to change to this vehicle in February 2014 is the correct decision ! The car drives and handles wonderfully and should satisfy and impress most, if obviously not all motorists ( some will STILL prefer their gas guzzling Ferraris , Aston Martins etcetera ), the car took everything I threw at in terms of real life manoeuvrability and the ride comfort was excellent . I found the range fine for my normal everyday uses and the only panic caused regarding possibly running out of power , was actually caused by the fact that I misunderstood the numerous read outs available to give information on range , charging etc. and was actually reading something which indicated the percentage of projected power left due to previous driving standards , which unfortunately being a demonstrator in the hands of car sales reps ,was much lower than it might have been , but which I managed to increase with my wife during our 2 day test drive . The car does have wonderful pull and when one drives it with consideration of the fact of why you are actually driving an EV ,then it IS capable of returning good result

Tom Ferraloli, Stirlingshire, August 13th 2013

Auto

There is no doubt that the Leaf is a great car. What Car's three stars miserly and Clarksonish. But there's no denying the limited range of the Leaf has its drawbacks. Given the state of battery technology, an all electric vehicle like the Leaf will need a charging infrastructure. More specifically a strategic network of level 3 rapid chargers that can recharge the Leaf to 80% capacity in 30 minutes or less. This is where Nissan has dropped the ball and given the more pricey Ampera a chance. Range anxiety can also be termed recharge anxiety. Where and how long will it take me to recharge? Will I be stranded or stuck for hours? It does not need to be this way. A network of rapid chargers along motorways and at ALL of Nissan's dealers should make the car much more useable. It's just a shame that having spent billions developing this wonderful car, Nissan has failed to produce a strategic charging infrastructure that might cost a few million, but which would do away with most range anxiety. The good news is that the charging infrastructure is slowly coming. A year from now What Car may have to revise its rating for a car that's doing far better in JD Power ratings in the US and which is well liked or loved by most who drive it. One final point: Anyone with solar panels on their roof might give serious consideration to the Leaf.. There is a natural fit between generating your own electricity and using some of it to get about.

Mark Slater, July 26th 2012