Peugeot 206 Hatchback Owner reviews

LX 3dr [AC]

I don't own a Peugeot anymore I recently got rid of it but I had the 206 2002 model for just over a year. It was my first car and it's definitely great for a first car, it's cheap to run, petrol would last me for ages, cheap to insure and it's nice and nippy. I liked mine at first but then after a couple of months I started having problems with it, only little ones at first like brake lights, brake pads, new battery and something to do with the handbrake cables which I guess for a second hand car is quite common but after a while I got really anxious driving it and every unusual noise I got really paranoid until eventually the head gasket blew, I got that fixed and then sold it on. So I don't know if I would of called mine 'reliable'. I've read on here about the driving position being horrible but that never bothered me, I am a short female though. I think it's ideal for a first car or even for somebody who doesn't drive often and just drives short journeys.

Laura mycock, cheshire, March 10th 2015

Verve 5dr

Well despite the bad things you might hear about the 206 - or French cars in general - the only horror story I've had with my 2005 Verve was a blowout at 70mph on the dual carriageway. Scary, but its just a tyre and not the fault of the car itself - just wear and tear. Another minor thing is the indicator doesn't self-cancel, apparently this is a common problem on 206s, but I've gotten used to just flipping that back up after every turn. Not worth moaning about. Truth is, this car is reliable, comfortable and ridiculously fun to drive in comparison to other hatchbacks like the uninspiring Polo. The low driving position actually works in its favour because along with the grippy suspension and refined, firm steering, you can do sensible corners and feel like you're whizzing around them. I'd rate the engine depending on how you use it - some might call it sluggish but there is a fair amount of force in the lower gears, so if you want to get up to speed quicker then higher revs are the answer. Very economical though, no question about that - I travel a short distance every day, so I fill up once a month and that's it. Insurance is nice and low, so it makes a great first car. Looks great too with its swooping design on the outside and pleasing dash shape. I've owned 2 206s, this Verve model and the 1.6 HDi - while the HDi felt a bit more torque-y and got you more MPGs, the Verve's got more gadgets including an AC and CD multichanger. Overall, a pleasure to drive.

Liam Stiles, Surrey, March 20th 2014

LX 3dr

I have just sold my Saxo, I am now driving a 206 1.1 LX and what an improvement! I have seen so many complaints about this car but I love it, it has all the gadgets and is actually very comfortable for a supermini. The driving position isn't the best but if you put the time in to fiddle with the seat, it'll come right. The dash makes the car look deceivingly large and really adds an element of space, especially from the drivers seat. Best of all it is still a good looking car after all this time, runs efficiently and my only real complaint is that it could be more spacious in the back. Besides that, thumbs up.

Michael Fletcher, Lancashire, March 17th 2014

Zest 3 3dr [AC]

I bought my current peugeot on impluss after my previous car was going to cost far more to fix than it was worth. I looked in the first garage i found, looked at a few peugeots & bought this one. Apart from general wear & tear, wipers & tyres i have not had any problems with it. I've love it, i find it comfy to sit in & drive, great handling, fantastic MPG's, good quality inside the cabin and enough space in the boot to get the monthly shopping in or suitcase's. . I have recommended this car, it's great and my next car..............when i decided to get one in a few years time will be another peugeot.

kevin bullock, May 4th 2012

Look2 3dr [AC]

Owned this car for 3 years. Brought a 53 plate in Jan 06 with 20k on the clock. Experienced immediate problems. When indicating right, indicator then starts indicating left after having turned! Never got this repaired - can not be bothered to pay out to repair it! - I am used to it now and cancel it myself. Passenger seat broken as well, stuck reclining back! Asked Peugeot to look at it, they advised it requires new seat frame - no alternative - Β£600 inc. labour!!! The aerial also β€˜leaks’. After night of heavy rain I get in the car next morning and there is a puddle in the gear stick material! Rain seeps underneath the aerial and leaks through the interior light! Will bodge that up myself with glue before part exchaning it. 75K on the clock now and I am upgrading to a diesel and 5 door due to family, etc. Hopefully the 407. I am happy to get rid of the car as the clutch is now starting to slip. Exhaust has been replaced twice during my ownership and the headlights and sidelights, well, I have lost count! My friend who is a mechanic says it could be due to an electrical fault. Ride isn't great, nor the driving position. Poor gear box, acceleration pretty poor, doesn't like motorways. Problems: build quality, ride and handling. Positives: pretty car, despite above mention problems never broken down on me whilst driving (touch wood!)

Matthew Barker, January 27th 2009

LX 5dr [AC]

This was my 1st car&I was easily deceived by its good looks. It was fine 4 a yr but in Sept08 all hell broke loose. One day the odometer/trip meter stopped working. Then the hazard lights stopped working as did the clock, nearly every warning light on the instrument panel, the petrol guage wasnt working, the rev counter stayed stuck@1000revs. After the garage looked at it I was told that the computer controlling the dash had failed&needed repairing .I got the car back that day, still with all its problems&told that I could still drive it. I booked it in a week later&it was in the garage for 2 weeks. The computer was sent off for repair to a so-called "dash specialist."I went&collected the car&they'd replaced the fuel sender unit&only managed to get the odometer/trip meter working again. The garage I took it too is owned and run by a very good family friend so I knew I could trust him. It was in for another 2 weeks. I went to collect it again&everything was fixed. I drove it 10 miles down the road&the fuel warning light was coming on when I had over 1/4 tank in the car. I rang the garage&I then had to drive it back and all the mechanics were looking at it. I drove it that evening&as I was driving home I broke down.It cut out&I lost all power&brakes. Breakdown came out&couldn't get it started again so I was towed home&they then towed it back to my friend's garage the next day. It was back in for another 2 days&the fuel relay had gone.Bills=Β£800+DO NOT BUY A 206!

Abbi Pitt, January 23rd 2009

LX 3dr [AC]

My wife owned the car for just over 5 years before changing it last year. She loved driving it but I found it difficult to get the driving position right. The height adjustment had two settings,like a see-saw.Steering was vague but it handled ok.Performance was average but the engine screamed at 70mph on the motorway. The radiator spilt its guts but luckily for us we spotted it before setting off and it cost just over Β£100 for a new one including fitting.The brakes also sheered at the back severing a brake line which wasn't the best,but luckly it stopped safetly(just).Apart from that it was just normal wear and tear parts that needed replacing and it never really dented our pocket. The cabin was average,but the seats comfy and the velour insert on the glove box lid was...unique.I felt there was more room in it than my Clio. The 206 still looks good but for me the driving position really let it down.If you can get comfy driving it then its a good motor.

James Hilton, Lancashire, January 23rd 2009

Style 3dr

I dont know what this guy is on about im over 6 foot and do not find it cramped at all to drive the position is absolutly fine! dont know where he was sitting!!

a smith, January 10th 2009

XS 3dr [SR]

I've had my 206 1.6XS for about 6 years and it has never done me wrong. It's a really good car that runs well if you look after it, like any car. It still looks stylish and sleek, even with the new 207 along side it.

Nadean John-Baptiste-Bennett, BERKSHIRE, December 13th 2008

GTi 180 3dr [DAC+CC]

i had a civic type r, prefer this car in everyway. daughter also has a 206 can't fault them in anyway

carol buckley, north somerset, September 28th 2008

Fever 5dr

i havent got a clue why this car only has a 2 star rating, to my knowledge there are much more plusses than minuses. plusses. seat comfort, exterior styling sensational, reliablity, economical, spacious for us, drive quality and engine minuses. yes the driving position isnt that gud, interior quality (flimsy in places) and equipment is a little bit sparse there you have it defintley deserves more stars dont believe the official review and you do see alot on the road so what does that tell you, there defintley worth a chance.

Dominic Tomalin, Northamptonshire, August 16th 2008

D LX 3dr [SR]

I've had this car for 3 and a half years... I love it! It's one of those cars where you think you're flying around a bend, but look down and you're doing 35mph! Class! Here's the list of what went wrong with mine: 1. Needed new exhaust and catalytic convertor 2. Needed new engine... hole in the radiator caused this.. engine seized on the motorway in the middle of the night! Such fun! 3. Needed new shocks 4. Ball joint on drive shaft cracked 5. New brake pads every few months Unbelieveable amount of hassle... especially the engine change... the mechanic couldn't find one so I found him one... wrong model apparently but he adapetd it to fit. Its a pretty economical car.. and the LX means the nice comfy seats. I wouldnt have another one because of the handling. But its great until i get the cash for another car. tis a big step up from my first car... a 1990 Nova.

Sharon Cunningham, August 11th 2008

Independence 3dr

I have owned my lovely Peugeot 206, 1.1 Independence since October 2004, brand new. I have loved it, been proud of it and enjoyed driving it. No problems whatsoever! I have shed a few tears today, after being that my precious car as to go to the big garage in the sky! It has sadly been written off. An idiot was looking for something on her front passenger seat and drove into me a few days ago. It's funny how attached you can get to a piece of metal! I highly recommend the Peugeot 206.

Kathy Hardy, Suffolk, July 14th 2008

HDi GTi 3dr

It's brilliant. That's the short version of this review. If you only have a few seconds to spare, that's all you need to know. As for the longer version... Firstly, the engine. It pulls like many 2.0-litre diesels that I have driven before which is impressive enough, but it's smooth and quiet, very much unlike many diesels I've driven. Overtaking punch is plentiful and the 'Overboost' feature is handy. Cabin quality isn't up there with Audi, but it is a damn site better than equivalent age Clios (and I used to own one). Kit is in good supply with the climate control working very quickly to cool you down on these hot May days. The half-leather seats are very comfortable once you're used to their somewhat odd shape. Its ride strikes a fine balance between sportiness and comfort, and while it's too soft for dedicated 'attack mode' driving, the rest of the time it's spot on. Superb economy can be had - 30mph in 4th results in an average of 80mpg on the flat. Drive well and 50mpg in urban driving is possible. Also, road tax is going down for this car next year! It offers an extremely impressive package, mating fun with frugality, and also throwing in a bucket full of style to ice the cake. The GTi HDi is not all that common either, and with determined haggling a 2004 model with 30-something miles on the clock can be yours for about Β£6000. Bargain, if you ask me.

Matthew Kimberley, Staffordshire, May 9th 2008

D LX 5dr [SR]

These are just some of the problems we encountered with our Peugeot. 1) Our brake servo had a hole in it & had to be replaced. Made a terrible hissing sound from underneath the passenger footwell. 2) Exhaust had to be replaced 3) Bottom ball joint on the drive shaft broke (Broke down in Asda petrol station!!!!) 4) Car kept 'missing' 5) The cylinder head gasket broke, as the 1.9 car we originally bought was driving like a 1.0!!!!!! 5) Oil leak from engine 6) Electrics inside the car conked out (No clock, some lighting inside stopped working) 7) CD player broke The diesel is a very noisy engine too. The seatbelt is positioned in such a way that it digs into your neck.

Sarah Davies, Powys, April 27th 2008

LX 5dr [AC]

what a pig have 1.4 auto had it two years only done 10.000miles when the gearbox went 1.4k pounds to fix peugeot wonted 2.5k then head gasket went another 700 then two months later head gasket went for second time .peugeot say its my fault pay another 700.breaks squeal trim rattles .if i had the cash for another car i would set fire to this pile of junk .dont ever buy one .drove the new 207 when mines was in garage just the same junk

murray hutton, berkshire, April 27th 2008

LX 3dr

I always dreamed of owning a 206, i saved for ages, what a complete dissapointment, I am Now up to Β£1000 repair bill, having owned this nightmare for 1 year, every day something else is wrong and one day it will, literally fall to pieces.I struggle to find anything nice to say, apart from the fuel economy is good, Common faults are the ball joints, have had 2 new ones and my sister has one replaced, both cars only 4 years old, Please Don,t waste your hard earned money on these terrible cars

Andrea Sandell, Lancs, April 20th 2008

LX 3dr [AC]

We have had a 206 1.4 auto three-door hatch for about 8 years, purchased at about one year old. It doesn't do a big mileage as it is a second car, but it has been mechanically reliable with only a minor electrical (earthing) problem early on. It is comfotable and nippy round town but not so enjoyable on motorway driving. We would recommend it, although we would prefer a five-door version. We have had no problems with paintwork.

Michael Stewart, Herts, April 17th 2008

16V Quiksilver 3dr [AC]

I was looking to buy an MG ZR, but then i came across this, i love it!! It seem's to take a lot of trip's to the petrol station's, but my last car was a 106 diesel so take some getting used to, she's lovely, and she has the quiksilver interior which is great, rather than the shabby green inside's on a red car which is normally on the 206.

N Hopley, April 17th 2008

LX 3dr

Can't believe i've had to rate this car as a 1 star! It isnt even worth that! This car has been an absolute nightmare, after treating myself to an 02 plate last year i cannot believe how many times i have had it in garage! the exhaust has fallen off 3 times, it has also been mended for blowing 3 times. Thanks god for the AA who i have called out 4 times that i can remember. This car is the route of all evil and WILL NOT get you from A-B! I have had to have the coil pack changed THREE times!!!! and guess what the catalic converter TWICE aswell as spark plugs and oxygen sensors! the interior is nothing to boast about and neither is fuel consumption. BORING USELESS Car that may look attractive but LOOKS ARE DECIEVING! Guess what im sat at home waiting for AA with suspected COIL PACK AGAIN!! my car wont start and i am getting rid ASAP, worst car made! HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ele beattie, lincolnshire, March 24th 2008