X
Whatcar? review
Owner reviews

HDi 140 Allure 4dr

• Average MPG 50 mpg

I bought this to replace my previous 508 which was the 1.6 e-HDI which had been an excellent and reliable car over three years of use. The latest model seems even better built- if you removed the badge you could mistake this for a top German make for example. It really does have a solid feel and a very nice finish -no rattles or creaks, really not like Peugeots of old! I drove many of the competing models when I bought the car and I still find the 508 offers a very decent alternative and, for me, the best balance. This 140hp,16V diesel engine seems very smooth and packs a lot of punch compared with my previous A4 for example. The handling is good and the ride seems to have improved in the latest models but still trails the class best a little. The only other area where I would criticise it is the steering feel is not as good as some rivals but it's a very minor point. Generally this is an excellent and under-rated car. The latest Allure is very well equipped and is outstanding for longer journeys. Despite the power running costs seem barely different from the smaller engine in terms of fuel economy , insurance and road-tax. Also you can get a substantial discount (even below the What Car Target Price figure) If you are looking for something different in this size of car the 508 offers an excellent alternative!

Peter Malkin, December 1st 2014

e-HDi 115 Access 4dr EGC

• Average MPG 48 mpg

30/11/13. My last review on this excellent car. Comfort economy and more than enough top speed for anyone on UK roads. I dont need a car that zooms away from traffic lights. Who does? only boy racers. get real Adrenaline junkies.This is a great family car which wont break records but serve you well. 25K Miles i have done in it until today when it sadly had to go. WHy? More later. 25K on tyres and maybe up to 30K is a real possibility. No real faults rattles etc. easy clean reliable and a challenge to learn how to drive the new breed of start stop cars. They are different!! I can remember double declutching to change gear!!! these EGC have to be driven differently and we can all find the best way for each of us. I never had any jerky movements and could enjoy the paddles when I felt the need. A great car. Its only drawback is the same as most cars now. It isnt made as a hatchback! Remember Sierra? the hatch of choice and they all started doing it. FORGET THE badge cars. Spend your money for value. Haggle and get a fantastic offer. So why did I change today with 4mths still remaining of the 3yr warranty? Simple knee injury means ihave to have a car easier to get into. So I now have a 3008 Allure 115 e EGC HDI same gearbox, hatch/ SUv type and all is basically the same for me. Except of course it smells like all new cars!! gorgeous. Hope this helps folk go for the Peugeot. And lots folk think it looks like a JAg from the back!! Now theres something for poseurs! ha

eric crowder, cheshire, November 21st 2013

• Average MPG 45.6 mpg

Having driven large saloons for a long time, a brief spell with a hatch back left me longing for something a bit more sophisticated. A chance opportunity to buy a 508 Active with less than 10,000 on the clock from the local Peugeot garage at a very good price came along and compared to everything else on the forecourt, looked to be a lot of bang for the bucks. I can't really fault this car other than to say that the ride can be a bit bumpy at times on local roads, but this is really built for cruising at which it excels. MPG is good, 46 average, 70 on some runs and a road tax cost of Β£30 a year. I sometimes miss the oomph of a 2 litre diesel, but to be perfectly honest in todays traffic it would just mean more fumes down the exhaust pipe and no further up the road. However, once you get used to the electronic gearbox, fast manoeuvres are there to be had by appropriate exercise of the right foot - just takes a little getting used to. Had the car for 18 months now and only bothered to drive in auto mode although there is manual plus "S" mode available. Verdict - a sophisticated Mondeo with a more stylish cabin and so far...very reliable electronic widgets. No problem in recommending the car at all.

Allan Price, West Midlands, September 15th 2013

HDi 200 GT 4dr Auto

• Running costs 4/5
  • Average MPG 44 mpg

Previously had an Audi A6 2.0TDI and a BMW 320d and wanted a different car. The 508 GT has been a revelation. I do high mileage and am now at 19K in 7 months and no problems. The interior is near Audi quality and the performance beats both the Audi and the BMW . The 2.2HDI ( same as used in Jaguar XF) is a fantastic engine. The auto box took a bit of getting used to but the paddles help if fast progress needed. I have to say I would choose this car over the BMW ( the amount of extras as standard on the 508 makes the BMW unattractive) and it is on par with an Audi A6 but the 2.7TDI ( as this is quicker than the 2.0TDi offering) . Overall a great car and I am so happy that their is a credible alternative to the boring German 3. Must say I think that some of the reviews are a bit harsh

Adrian may, August 7th 2013

• Average MPG 23 mpg

The Peugeot 508 Saloon 1.6 THP automatic has an excellent engine-transmission combination. The Peugeot "Prince" engine, co-developed with BMW, has a very flat torque curve and almost no turbo lag, giving this car unexpectedly good throttle response. Although not as powerful as my old BMW 525i Touring, the Peugeot is 200 Kg lighter, and at 240 Nm of torque (250 Nm for the BMW), I would swear the Peugeot has better 0-60 MPH times. Steering is sharp, brakes are effective and ride quality with the optional 17-inch wheels is very good, although not as compliant as our old Peugeot 405. The vehicle interior is beautifully designed and well finished. The leather seats are extremely comfortable, as one would expect from Peugeot, and after eight months driving on terrible roads, there are no rattles or lose parts in the cabin. Now I must admit I miss my BMW's wonderful exhaust note, however, as well as its silky smooth in-line six. Although the Peugeot is not as refined as the BMW, its looks are smashing, interior room is much better, and running costs should be considerably lower. Overall, the Peugeot 508 offers good value and is great fun to drive, considering its relatively large size. I am giving it 5 stars, and would certainly recommend the Peugeot 508 to anyone looking for a good-looking and well equipped family saloon. One last word of advice: keep away from 18 or 19-inch wheels and low profile tyres, unless you have very smooth roads and prefer a firm ride.

Bernardo Pizarro, Lima, November 11th 2012

• Average MPG 0 mpg

This is the first Peugeot I have owned. We bought it second-hand from St Peters Worcester and paid 11.5k for a 1 year old car with 27k. Really friendly dealer and the price seemed good. The car is superb on the motorway - refined and stable up to (very) high speeds. The ride is firm and this is most noticeable on country roads where it all gets a bit bumpy, though it is not as harsh as some reviews suggest. Owning the e-HDi has (so far) been a rewarding experience. The stop-start technology works well and the geek in me does appreciate the on board computer telling me how many minutes of diesel I have saved stuck at the lights and in jams. The economy is genuinely good and out-performs my wife's old Grande Punto 1.3 diesel. The car feels solid and well built, both inside and out. The only niggles at present include: - 1. Being a saloon, the lack of a rear view wiper means visibility first thing on a morning is impaired... 2. The Stop-Start is a bit random when it works or does not - I'm sure there is a rationale behind it, but I satisfy myself that it is French. Having owned loads of Renaults that is enough explanation... 3. It's a bit Germanic in places - I DO really appreciate that the electrics work well (and that's good!); but the seats are a bit firm (a la Volkswagen) as is the suspension. French roads may be far better than in the past, but I like my French cars to ride like French cars. Overall though, very impressive and well worth buying second-hand. I rate it.

Kevin Joyce, October 26th 2012

• Average MPG 45.6 mpg

Back again! Why? Well Im always kooking for the perfect car and what to get next. Go through my cars. JAgs, BMW 3.0 touring. Mondeo, and many more. Just try em. if i like I buy. Gonna keep this a while longer coz there is nowt else better for the money and the performance etc. It is quiet (not as review says) My diesel is much quieter than my mates 630 Beamer. Its roomy. I hate having my passenger close to me! It economical.upwards of 55 and closer to 70 when driven sensibly ( not me !) The auto needs to be understood.And I love the lazy way it can be driven. My daughter(16) and her mates love it. its only drawback? It should be a hatch. Whose idea was it to make all these family cars saloons? We love hatches and the practicality of them. Get a hatchback peugeot and shout his car UP!!!!!!! Nearly 23K and the tyres still good. Stop start perfect. Should be compulsory .think of all those engines switching off and not polluting for 10/30secs. WHo needs to zoom away? Only racers at lights. Msot of time yo uare behind someone so you cant pick up the acceleration can you? Its always adequate for me and having been pinched Icasn vouch for its Top end! A brilliant car.

eric crowder, cheshire, January 21st 2012

• Quality 4/5
  • Average MPG 55 mpg

I have now completed 3 years and more than 36000 miles in this car. It's been a surprisingly good experience in that nothing has gone wrong (not even a light bulb) and it still feels as solid as the day I bought it! The engine is still good and the it's a decent car to drive. You can get on with the semi-automatic box - I prefer to shift manually but it's still by far the weakest point of this car. The ride and handling are decent enough and it's a great long-distance car! The running costs have been good as I have averaged around 55 mpg with low insurance and road tax. Overall it's a very under-rated car and is more than competitive with the likes of a Passat or Mondeo. In fact I liked it so much I have just changed it for a new one -this time a 2 Litre manual. Hope it's as good as this one has been!

Peter Malkin, November 8th 2011

• Average MPG 50 mpg

I test drove this vehicle for 2 days in August 2011...as a company car driver this vehicle appealed to me because of its low CO2 (109) and BIK, thus for me a lot much less tax to pay for similar vehicles in this range.. First impressions, impressed with the refined look of this vehicle, looks sporty yet practical as a large family car. The cabin size is far larger than my current BMW 3 series this impressed the family (all 5 of us). Doors opened and closed firmly, electric windows, the interior looks refined and of good quality.. the steering wheels has numerous buttons for ease. The model I tested was not key-less nor did it have leather as a option. I read the write up on the semi-automatic gear box, this was the most worrying aspect for me prior to delivery. The chap who delivered it told me the gear changes is something your body gets use to...In manual mode the gear changes appear to be more practical. What I found is that you have to mimic driving a manual car i.e. when changing gears depressing the acceleration pedal. There is no clutch in this vehicle therefore it takes some getting use to to change the gears in manual mode... In automatic mode, the drive is more curious because you just don't know when the gears will move up when taking off, it left me with a uncomfortable feeling especially at roundabouts. In the end I found my own comfort zone by driving in automatic yet changing the gears manually my self at certain speeds. GOOD=low CO2&BIK BAD=gear ch

Arif Khan, essex, August 16th 2011

• Running costs 1/5
  • Average MPG 45 mpg

just taken a test drive of the GT model, see it in the skin, what a great car, that impressed ordered it straight after test drive, should arrive in the next month,

steve withers, May 23rd 2011