HDi 140 Allure 4dr

I bought this to replace my previous 508 which was the 1.6 e-HDI which had been an excellent and reliable car over three years of use. The latest model seems even better built- if you removed the badge you could mistake this for a top German make for example. It really does have a solid feel and a very nice finish -no rattles or creaks, really not like Peugeots of old! I drove many of the competing models when I bought the car and I still find the 508 offers a very decent alternative and, for me, the best balance. This 140hp,16V diesel engine seems very smooth and packs a lot of punch compared with my previous A4 for example. The handling is good and the ride seems to have improved in the latest models but still trails the class best a little. The only other area where I would criticise it is the steering feel is not as good as some rivals but it's a very minor point. Generally this is an excellent and under-rated car. The latest Allure is very well equipped and is outstanding for longer journeys. Despite the power running costs seem barely different from the smaller engine in terms of fuel economy , insurance and road-tax. Also you can get a substantial discount (even below the What Car Target Price figure) If you are looking for something different in this size of car the 508 offers an excellent alternative!

Peter Malkin, December 1st 2014

HDi 163 Allure 5dr Auto

Having owned a number of estates with my work from a Mercedes C Class, Land Rover Discovery HSE, Vauxall Elite Omega's, I could go on, but back to review, I purchased this 508 second hand in September, it had 19K on the clock, and I paid just Β£13,500, I had read up on all the reviews, yes the 1.6 e-HDI had very bad reviews (there's always one isn't there) which I did not even look at, but after looking around, having a few test drives, I could not believe how good this car was, the Allure model looked great, very elegant, the way it drives and holds the road is lovely, I read some review saying it rides to hard...rubbish, the funniest review I watched was some woman saying the cup holders were rubbish with a evian bottle falling through, well if you pushed up the flap down base any drink would fall through and if that was how far someone had to go to find fault with the interior, well that alone speaks volumes..........if your looking for a big estate that looks great, drives great (163 bhp) and makes you feel a little bit different in a good way give it a try, this car is the biggest underrated car on the market

Lynden Hall, January 23rd 2014

e-HDi Hybrid4 5dr EGC

'Got this car on a 3 day test, with a view to it replacing my Skoda Octavia Scout 140TDI, which Skoda say they're not making anymore. My first fears were aroused when I saw the look of the salesman's face when he saw the state of my existing car - I'm a farmer and use the Skoda to tow the livestock trailer out of the fields when everything else has failed. To cut what could've been a huge story short, this is NOT the car to replace a Freelander, All Road, XC70 or a Scout. Lots of buttons and visual displays, make this car very hard to learn from this simple farmer's point of view, especially when no handbook was supplied with the car for the test period. This car is I presume, designed to compete with the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, etc. but quite what one does with the 4WD, huge wheels and low profile tyres and bugger all ground clearance, I have to wonder. Not my cup of tea, I'm afraid but having said that I'm more pee'd off with Skoda for packing the Scout in, than I am with Peugeot for coming up with this.

Tim Stanbridge, December 2nd 2013

e-HDi 112 SR 5dr EGC

Had an Auto version as a hire car and first impressions when leaving our house was that Peugeot engineers must have been having a laugh! The first gearchange it did from 1st to 2nd, I nearly hit my head on the steering wheel, the loss of momentum with each upward change is staggering. It's as if the design brief was to completely undermine your confidence in the car's acceleration ability. Fundamentally 60 years of autobox design knowledge chucked out the window by these clowns. Pulling away from roundabouts and junctions was really tricky as the comedy gearshift made progress really frustrating. Maneuvering in car parks is like shuffling a kangaroo, it's so poorly setup calibrated. Getting back into our 2003 Forester Auto was a revelation on how an auto box should be setup. The stop/start system is a joke, the engine stops when you hold the footbrake, then restarts when you release the footbrake and apply the handbrake. Now according to the driving standards agency you're supposed to wait at junctions and traffic lights with the handbrake on and foot off the footbrake, so you don't dazzle drivers behind you with your brake lights. Doing this deactivates the start stop system - so the safest way to wait is the least efficient. This is just plain wrong thinking on the part of Peugeot. Start stop systems on BMWs and Fords I've driven work the correct way. Also these cars have a deactivate button for the start stop, the Peugeot doesn't, further frustrating matters.

Steve Garrett, November 28th 2013

e-HDi 115 Access 4dr EGC

30/11/13. My last review on this excellent car. Comfort economy and more than enough top speed for anyone on UK roads. I dont need a car that zooms away from traffic lights. Who does? only boy racers. get real Adrenaline junkies.This is a great family car which wont break records but serve you well. 25K Miles i have done in it until today when it sadly had to go. WHy? More later. 25K on tyres and maybe up to 30K is a real possibility. No real faults rattles etc. easy clean reliable and a challenge to learn how to drive the new breed of start stop cars. They are different!! I can remember double declutching to change gear!!! these EGC have to be driven differently and we can all find the best way for each of us. I never had any jerky movements and could enjoy the paddles when I felt the need. A great car. Its only drawback is the same as most cars now. It isnt made as a hatchback! Remember Sierra? the hatch of choice and they all started doing it. FORGET THE badge cars. Spend your money for value. Haggle and get a fantastic offer. So why did I change today with 4mths still remaining of the 3yr warranty? Simple knee injury means ihave to have a car easier to get into. So I now have a 3008 Allure 115 e EGC HDI same gearbox, hatch/ SUv type and all is basically the same for me. Except of course it smells like all new cars!! gorgeous. Hope this helps folk go for the Peugeot. And lots folk think it looks like a JAg from the back!! Now theres something for poseurs! ha

eric crowder, cheshire, November 21st 2013

e-HDi Hybrid4 5dr EGC

I had the 508 RXH on a week-long test-drive direct from Peugeot and was seriously impressed. As noted by others, the auto gearbox can be a little sluggish, but I only have my Galaxy Powershift auto with almost unnoticeable gear changes to compare it with. Most people wouldn't notice and if you're used to a manual it won't bother you at all. Other than that, I couldn't find any fault with the car. It's good looking and certainly has road-presence. The boot is a decent size, and there is scope for roof-bars (direct from Peugeot for a not eye-watering price). I could fit my 3 kids (11, 9 and 3) in the back in comfort. The car drives really well, it is extremely quiet and cruises smoothly. The hybrid system is very clever, although the novelty of trying to keep the needle in "eco" or "charge" soon wears off and you just let the auto mode do it's thing. I managed about 50 mpg in the week I had it. Full electric mode is good in town, but be aware it's not got much oomph up hills, so you may feel the diesel kicking in if you put your foot down too hard. The cabin is spacious and comfortable, with lots of bells and whistles and, for a Peugeot, it actually feels really well built. The panoramic roof is huge and lets in vast amounts of light. I can understand reluctance to pay the extra for the hybrid technology if you were buying, but the big bonus for me is that this would be a company car and it would save me over Β£230 a month in tax compared to my Galaxy - not to be sniffed at.

Kieran Gayler, Suffolk, October 21st 2013

e-HDi 115 Allure 5dr EGC

Just had a change of car from a 3 series touring 318d was wondering about the change as my first Peugeot but can honestly say I am not disappointed yes it isn't as quick as the old car but in almost everything else beats it. Ride is great a lot better than the harder BMW. All the kit you could ever want. Build quality is excellent and the plastics are a good quality and feel, and the EGC isn't at all that bad. I did have a test vehicle for a week and this new one is a lot smoother so suspect they have tweaked the software. Still early days but fuel economy is excellent and the glass roof is excellent the kids love it makes the cabin light and airy. SAT nav needs to get used to it isn't a Tom Tom but is up there with the normal factory installed units. I had the heads up display added and is a good feature providing speed / cruise control speed and direction in the view if using the nav. Will update the review once I get a few more miles under the belt with it but so far I am not at all disappointed with the change I made.

Peter Caplin, October 19th 2013

VTi 120 Access 4dr EGC

Having driven large saloons for a long time, a brief spell with a hatch back left me longing for something a bit more sophisticated. A chance opportunity to buy a 508 Active with less than 10,000 on the clock from the local Peugeot garage at a very good price came along and compared to everything else on the forecourt, looked to be a lot of bang for the bucks. I can't really fault this car other than to say that the ride can be a bit bumpy at times on local roads, but this is really built for cruising at which it excels. MPG is good, 46 average, 70 on some runs and a road tax cost of Β£30 a year. I sometimes miss the oomph of a 2 litre diesel, but to be perfectly honest in todays traffic it would just mean more fumes down the exhaust pipe and no further up the road. However, once you get used to the electronic gearbox, fast manoeuvres are there to be had by appropriate exercise of the right foot - just takes a little getting used to. Had the car for 18 months now and only bothered to drive in auto mode although there is manual plus "S" mode available. Verdict - a sophisticated Mondeo with a more stylish cabin and so far...very reliable electronic widgets. No problem in recommending the car at all.

Allan Price, West Midlands, September 15th 2013

VTi 120 Access 5dr EGC

I have owned BMW 5 series estates, Vauxhall Omega estates and the 508 SW GT is utterly fantastic. Fuel economy is excellent, the power and torque from the diesel are more than sufficient and the auto box is quick and responsiveand the paddle shift is great. Handling is tight and even with the 19" wheels the ride is good. There are almost no available options unlike BMW's where everything is extra. I have seen reviews from Whatcar but this is more like a 5 series BMW than a 3 series. Dealer attention is excellent and after 40,000 miles in under 3 years I am delighted with the car. Incidentally it is a private purchase. I get over 55mpg on a fast run and over 40 in town. I also tow a caravan and even with auto I get 28 mpg towing at 60 which I think is pretty good. There is no manual option with the 2.2L GT. All in all a great car.

Paul Storer, Cambs, September 3rd 2013

HDi 200 GT 4dr Auto

Previously had an Audi A6 2.0TDI and a BMW 320d and wanted a different car. The 508 GT has been a revelation. I do high mileage and am now at 19K in 7 months and no problems. The interior is near Audi quality and the performance beats both the Audi and the BMW . The 2.2HDI ( same as used in Jaguar XF) is a fantastic engine. The auto box took a bit of getting used to but the paddles help if fast progress needed. I have to say I would choose this car over the BMW ( the amount of extras as standard on the 508 makes the BMW unattractive) and it is on par with an Audi A6 but the 2.7TDI ( as this is quicker than the 2.0TDi offering) . Overall a great car and I am so happy that their is a credible alternative to the boring German 3. Must say I think that some of the reviews are a bit harsh

Adrian may, August 7th 2013

e-HDi 115 Access 5dr EGC

Wow, this car is a real let down, had it on hire for a week through work and was glad to hand the keys back and get back in to my own car. Pro's - Panoramic room was a nice touch and really helped lift the gloomy cabin. Big boot, speaks for it's self really. Con's - Really really ugly car from every angle, I mean it's horrid. Interior, the inside of my bin has classier materials and the layout is just boring, the dash does not even rap into the doors and the load cover would spring open every time I drove over a speed bump (at sensible speeds) and there were squeaks and rattles from everywhere. The engine was noisy, underpowered and not particularly good on the MPG. Finally the ride managed to be both too firm to be comfortable yet allowed and appalling amount of body role in corners and roundabouts which was made worse by lifeless steering. In conclusion I cannot recommend this car for any reason as it's not particularly cheap to buy or run. Spend your hard earned cash/tax elsewhere.

Paul Evans, Tyne & Wear, July 8th 2013

VTi 120 Access 4dr EGC

The Peugeot 508 Saloon 1.6 THP automatic has an excellent engine-transmission combination. The Peugeot "Prince" engine, co-developed with BMW, has a very flat torque curve and almost no turbo lag, giving this car unexpectedly good throttle response. Although not as powerful as my old BMW 525i Touring, the Peugeot is 200 Kg lighter, and at 240 Nm of torque (250 Nm for the BMW), I would swear the Peugeot has better 0-60 MPH times. Steering is sharp, brakes are effective and ride quality with the optional 17-inch wheels is very good, although not as compliant as our old Peugeot 405. The vehicle interior is beautifully designed and well finished. The leather seats are extremely comfortable, as one would expect from Peugeot, and after eight months driving on terrible roads, there are no rattles or lose parts in the cabin. Now I must admit I miss my BMW's wonderful exhaust note, however, as well as its silky smooth in-line six. Although the Peugeot is not as refined as the BMW, its looks are smashing, interior room is much better, and running costs should be considerably lower. Overall, the Peugeot 508 offers good value and is great fun to drive, considering its relatively large size. I am giving it 5 stars, and would certainly recommend the Peugeot 508 to anyone looking for a good-looking and well equipped family saloon. One last word of advice: keep away from 18 or 19-inch wheels and low profile tyres, unless you have very smooth roads and prefer a firm ride.

Bernardo Pizarro, Lima, November 11th 2012

e-HDi 112 Active 4dr EGC

This is the first Peugeot I have owned. We bought it second-hand from St Peters Worcester and paid 11.5k for a 1 year old car with 27k. Really friendly dealer and the price seemed good. The car is superb on the motorway - refined and stable up to (very) high speeds. The ride is firm and this is most noticeable on country roads where it all gets a bit bumpy, though it is not as harsh as some reviews suggest. Owning the e-HDi has (so far) been a rewarding experience. The stop-start technology works well and the geek in me does appreciate the on board computer telling me how many minutes of diesel I have saved stuck at the lights and in jams. The economy is genuinely good and out-performs my wife's old Grande Punto 1.3 diesel. The car feels solid and well built, both inside and out. The only niggles at present include: - 1. Being a saloon, the lack of a rear view wiper means visibility first thing on a morning is impaired... 2. The Stop-Start is a bit random when it works or does not - I'm sure there is a rationale behind it, but I satisfy myself that it is French. Having owned loads of Renaults that is enough explanation... 3. It's a bit Germanic in places - I DO really appreciate that the electrics work well (and that's good!); but the seats are a bit firm (a la Volkswagen) as is the suspension. French roads may be far better than in the past, but I like my French cars to ride like French cars. Overall though, very impressive and well worth buying second-hand. I rate it.

Kevin Joyce, October 26th 2012

e-HDi 112 Allure 5dr EGC

Well, how the mighty have fallen. Further to my previous review, we are now 1 year old, and 30k miles on the clock. All the good bits are still good ie, space, looks, etc. Bad bits. New gearbox O rings and high pressure hoses at 20k. 3.5wks off the road. Gearbox has nearly had me T Boned a few times, whilst it decides which gear to move away in. PAINFULLY SLOW GEARCHANGE!!! Tracking and balancing are constantly out. Had geometry checked, 4 wheel alignment at 4 different dealers with them all reporting 'nothing is wrong'. Now onto my 3rd set of front tyres and 2nd set of rears. Today the keyless entry became the keyless no entry and left me locked out for about 40 minutes. Then the electric windows decided that they weren't going to work. MPG for the 'Economical Version' is a very unimpressive 44mpg....not the 60mpg in the brochure. In total, within it's first full year, this car has been off the road about 1 and a half months. All I can say, is I'm glad it's a company car. When its running, it's a great car, unfortunatley it isn't running a lot these days. Costs for repairs that don't fix anything are expensive. Constantly told no problem there. Tyres last 13000 miles on a 1.6 diesel!!!! Thought Peugeot had turned things around, but now speaking to my lease company about swapping this for something else. Shame really, as it still looks good, is huge and is a pretty decent car......when it runs!!!

Martin Richardson, March 5th 2012

VTi 120 Access 4dr EGC

Back again! Why? Well Im always kooking for the perfect car and what to get next. Go through my cars. JAgs, BMW 3.0 touring. Mondeo, and many more. Just try em. if i like I buy. Gonna keep this a while longer coz there is nowt else better for the money and the performance etc. It is quiet (not as review says) My diesel is much quieter than my mates 630 Beamer. Its roomy. I hate having my passenger close to me! It economical.upwards of 55 and closer to 70 when driven sensibly ( not me !) The auto needs to be understood.And I love the lazy way it can be driven. My daughter(16) and her mates love it. its only drawback? It should be a hatch. Whose idea was it to make all these family cars saloons? We love hatches and the practicality of them. Get a hatchback peugeot and shout his car UP!!!!!!! Nearly 23K and the tyres still good. Stop start perfect. Should be compulsory .think of all those engines switching off and not polluting for 10/30secs. WHo needs to zoom away? Only racers at lights. Msot of time yo uare behind someone so you cant pick up the acceleration can you? Its always adequate for me and having been pinched Icasn vouch for its Top end! A brilliant car.

eric crowder, cheshire, January 21st 2012

e-HDi 112 Active 4dr EGC

I have now completed 3 years and more than 36000 miles in this car. It's been a surprisingly good experience in that nothing has gone wrong (not even a light bulb) and it still feels as solid as the day I bought it! The engine is still good and the it's a decent car to drive. You can get on with the semi-automatic box - I prefer to shift manually but it's still by far the weakest point of this car. The ride and handling are decent enough and it's a great long-distance car! The running costs have been good as I have averaged around 55 mpg with low insurance and road tax. Overall it's a very under-rated car and is more than competitive with the likes of a Passat or Mondeo. In fact I liked it so much I have just changed it for a new one -this time a 2 Litre manual. Hope it's as good as this one has been!

Peter Malkin, November 8th 2011

HDi 163 Allure 5dr Auto

Had this car for 4 months and really like it. I'm no fan of French cars generally, but compared it to the Passat (which it beats hands down for interior feel) and the A4 (which is overpriced and just feels small). Mondeo has an image problem for me. This car clearly has the feelgood factor. Too early to comment on reliability, but no problems yet. + Lovely to drive. 163 diesel version with automatic gearbox is very well balanced and more than powerful enough for most motoring. + Head-up speed display is excellent on the motorway. The speed appears on a glass window just above the steering wheel and just below your line of vision. With this, you hardly ever look at the dashboard; no need to refocus long/short distance or take our eyes off the road to check your speed. Brilliant! + Comfortable, quality feel, attractive looking. + Panoramic sunroof and controllable air conditioning in the back seats a big hit with the kids. + Xenon headlights are excellent for motorway driving, self adjusting and light up the road well. They even turn corners. - That same brilliant head-up display gives some pretty horrible internal reflections on the windscreen, especially when it is sunny. I have bought polarised driving glasses that deal with 90% of the problem. - No flick wipe for the windscreen wipers and the automatic wipe seems to wipe too infrequently. On the whole a very good car worth 4.5; deal with the reflections Peugeot and you will have a 5 car, best in class in my

Ian Sexton, September 25th 2011

e-HDi 112 Active 4dr EGC

I test drove this vehicle for 2 days in August 2011...as a company car driver this vehicle appealed to me because of its low CO2 (109) and BIK, thus for me a lot much less tax to pay for similar vehicles in this range.. First impressions, impressed with the refined look of this vehicle, looks sporty yet practical as a large family car. The cabin size is far larger than my current BMW 3 series this impressed the family (all 5 of us). Doors opened and closed firmly, electric windows, the interior looks refined and of good quality.. the steering wheels has numerous buttons for ease. The model I tested was not key-less nor did it have leather as a option. I read the write up on the semi-automatic gear box, this was the most worrying aspect for me prior to delivery. The chap who delivered it told me the gear changes is something your body gets use to...In manual mode the gear changes appear to be more practical. What I found is that you have to mimic driving a manual car i.e. when changing gears depressing the acceleration pedal. There is no clutch in this vehicle therefore it takes some getting use to to change the gears in manual mode... In automatic mode, the drive is more curious because you just don't know when the gears will move up when taking off, it left me with a uncomfortable feeling especially at roundabouts. In the end I found my own comfort zone by driving in automatic yet changing the gears manually my self at certain speeds. GOOD=low CO2&BIK BAD=gear ch

Arif Khan, essex, August 16th 2011

VTi 120 Access 4dr EGC

just taken a test drive of the GT model, see it in the skin, what a great car, that impressed ordered it straight after test drive, should arrive in the next month,

steve withers, May 23rd 2011