Peugeot 607 Saloon Owner reviews

HDi SE 4dr

You'll love this car if you want considerable road presence; a massive boot; you are not worried about the badge on the car; and you want a comfortable ride at reasonable mpg. The fact that it isn't one of the traditional badged marques means you can buy an 05 plate or earlier at a heavily discounted price. Lots of toys to play with and a DVD facility and sat nav which seem to work well. Front and rear parking sensors are useful in urban areas and the rear electronic blind is extremely handy in cutting out glare of rear headlights or ignoring tailgaters. The lack of them on the UK roads also makes them stand out a little more. This is not a speedy middle management racer car to show off with at the local fete - it is more designed for comfort driving and long distances. Around town it can be a little clumsy but all in all it is a lot of car for the money. Main problem is costs of repairs and servicing. Β£260ish for a new tyre; valve sensors at Β£70; particulate filters and so on etc means you know exactly what that smile is all about when they greet you at the Peugeot service centre. Alot of the parts are Peugeot only so you cant shop around as such. Still - after the initial shock of the cost of putting the car back into perfect working order - it is reliable and sensible motoring. Great for family use.

Matthew Nicoll, September 17th 2008

HDi Executive 4dr

I have been a huge Peugeot fan for 15 Years and have had a 205 305 405 406 806 and now 607. After having a peugeot 406 Hdi and covering 300K+ miles I couldn't wait to get my hands Peugeot's flagship model. To start with i was not disappointed loads of room and gadgets aplenty i was over the moon... then the problems started New clutch assembly and floating fly wheel at 55k, new starter at 65k, New hydraulic tappets at 70k and finally new cooling fans at 75k. Not to mention intermittent faults with the cruise control and door mirrors refusing to come back out. It takes forever to get appointments at the local dealer and up to a week to get the car fixed every time. It is not half the car of my old 406 that i trusted completly and raved about for years. Very disappointed and intend to migrate to another manufacturer for my next car

Declan OReilly, louth, July 2nd 2008

V6 Executive 4dr Tip Auto

I bought this car for its space and comfort. It has supplied both. There is very little depreciation as it is 6 years old. The electrics are well maintained and all work - in one case too well (the tyre sensor). At some stage in its life, the car has had a new tyre fitted, but who ever did the work removed the sensor. This causes the car to think that the tyre is flat even though it is the spare giving me a signal each time I switch it on. If there is a problem then it the extortionate price of Peugeot-only spares. The cost of running it is comparatable with any other 3.0-litre V6. My family and I are very impressed with the car.

David Gamblin, London, April 7th 2008

V6 Executive 4dr Tip Auto

In my previous posting (13/03/2008) I said that BMW wins on depreciation. But I thought about it, checked my figures and realised that it isn't so. I compared the new and 3 year old prices for a BMW 530i Auto with all the options that are standard on the 607 V6 Exec. It more or less compares with a V6 Exec 607 if burning rubber when leaving traffic lights is not very important. The BMW sales price is Β£43,000 - I could probably have bought it for Β£40,000 3 years ago - and trade it in now for Β£17,000. That is about 57% depreciation. The 607 sales price is Β£29,000 - I paid Β£26,000 - and I can probaly trade it in for Β£9,000. That's 65% depreciation - a faster rate than the BMW. But the depreciation in pound notes, not as a percentage, is Β£23,000 (about Β£7,700 per year) for the BMW while the 607 depreciation is just Β£17,000 (Β£5,700 per year). And I had Β£14,000 in the bank earning interest for three years.

Sandy Livingstone, March 13th 2008

HDi S Executive 4dr

A pleasure to drive and very comfortable with lots of space. The car has had some small faults from new and as yet two years down the line my local dealer still hasn't fixed them properly !. In essance a good car for the money but let down by poor main dealer back up facilities and a shortage of spare parts in the UK.

Darren Rothwell, East Yorkshire, December 16th 2007

HDi SE 4dr

If you are thinking of buying this car I urge you to not to. I bought an 18 month new model 607 and it has been nothing but trouble. This is compounded by the main service agents who are totally incompetent. I've had over 8 visit to the garage for attempts to fix a grinding noise from the engine at idle. They have replaced, hoses, belts, fuel filter system and high pressure pump, without the slightest affect on the noise. They now claim they can't hear it. Peugeot UK don't want to know they just won't help. This car tried to compete with Merc's and BMW's, but a volume car maker like Peugeot knows liitle about quality. It not just throwing a load of features into a package and calling it a quality car. With this 607 you'll will lose a load in depreciation, be constantly trying to fix problems and frustrated by poor service and support. In the end you just want a reliable, comfortable car that retains some value and there are many others out there that are miles better than Peugeot's. If you go ahead and buy one, don't say you were'nt warned. I only wish I'd listened.

k wallace, October 6th 2007

S 4dr

My family loved this car for its space and comfort - which were great. I would have loved this car were it not for its many faults. The older 4-speed automatic is dreadful, and takes so long to engage gear it's sometimes frightening; constant niggling electrical problems (and a nagging dashboard) meant almsot everyday started with a "what's wrong now"; fauly cruise control would cut engine power for no reason while motoring at 70 in the outside lane - or sometimes around town - very scary and annoying; 2.2 diesel was lacking, though perhaps it was the auto box that sapped all the power; frequently would kick down to 3rd and refuse to change back up to 4th until I hit 85mph/4000rpm which just isn't always possible; built-in phone was maddening and not properly integrated into the display. It was a fantastic motorway cruiser (when working properly) - one of those cars where you could travel 300 miles and still feel fresh. But in the end, too many faults made me sell it.

Phil Marshall, September 1st 2007

HDi SE 4dr

Although the 607 is not a very popular car in the UK, I have found mine to be excellent. I wasn't looking for speed, but comfort, luxury, room to take five adults with their luggage and low carbon dioxide emissions. The 607 meet all these criteria with lots to spare.

Philip webber, Essex, February 20th 2007

HDi S 4dr

This car was eight months old when I bought it, and had 11,000 miles on on clock. I bought from a franchised dealer. It needed a replacement rear suspention costing Β£600, and a replacement automatic gearbox at only 14,000 miles! It took one week for Peugeot to authorise job and one week to fit the gearbox. The bill came to Β£4000+VAT, not including labour. It's just as well the car was under warranty. I sold this car one week after a new gearbox was fitted. I only owned the car for six months in total and lost Β£3500 off the price of the car when I traded it in. It's a very unreliable car, so I cut my losses and got rid of it. I went back to a Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 - there are no problems with it, it's a much better car. This is my third V6 Vectra. I have learnt my lesson the hard way!

Kevin Heslop, December 23rd 2006

HDi SE 4dr

I'm on my second 607 as my company car, and I love it - there's currently no alternative for me which gives the features and performance for the price. My first 607 came in 2002 and was the 2.0HDI SE which was simply fantastic. I never had a single issue with it, except when I crunched it myself, and it gave wonderful service - comfortable, easy to drive, hugely fuel efficient, and given my previous aversion to diesels, this was a sheer joy. 2005 saw the need to choose my next company car, and I toyed with the Audi A6. That's a great car, but when you start adding all the features you get as standard on the 607, the price rises, and rises to scarey heights, and even more of the features of the 607 are standard now than ever before. The 607 is a big cat indeed - sleek but ready to pounce. Fantastic on any road, and a complete joy on the French motorways, this car is going to take some beating for me. Hopefully when I'm due to renew in early 2008, the 607 will still be about in its highly efficient diesel version.

Chris Clingham, Cambs, October 10th 2006

HDi S Executive [6] 4dr

Have driven the 2.2 HDi for 4 years as a company car, doing about 80K miles. I love the look and size of the car, the long list of features and the overall comfort. No surprises: an excellent motorway cruiser but a bit slow to accelerate into traffic and a bit heavy around country roads. Some niggles: The satnav doesn't accept postcodes; The sales guy talked me into ordering the lower-profile alloy wheels, which added some road noise without really changing the country-road handling; The integrated phone in this version is rather tricky to use and the software didn't allow me to access all the numbers on my SIM. It drinks screen-wash; Positives: Peugeot dealer in Andover: Southgate - very professional and competent; Huge boot; "cool" boot-opening button (amazing how impressed people are by the fact that you open the boot by pressing the "0" on the 607); Jeremy Clarkson hates it; I have had one "technical" problem - the earth connection to the starter motor was faulty, which gave the RAC all kinds of problems to find and fix. I can see myself getting another 607 as a company car since it represents excellent value for money/tax.

Martin Lampard, Hants, August 24th 2006

HDi SE 4dr

I suppose you might call me a Peugeot fan as in the last six years my wife and I have had four (206, 307, 406 & 607). However the deal on the 607 was outstanding picking up a 54 plate 2.0 HDi 136 just over three months ago for Β£12k with low mileage. I cover up to 30k miles per annum and the 406 GTX was going to be a hard act to follow, however the 607 is simply superb. I would agree that it has barge like qualities around town, but as a motorway muncher it is smooth, quiet and holds the road beautifully so I am prepared to forgive some small features in exchange for the whole package. The cabin is outstanding for as everything is so adjustable. The stereo is good, the telephone integration highly useful and the sat nav does it job as expected. The boot is huge and with roof bars the family can take everything we need (including my golf clubs) anywhere we choose including a recently completed a 1500+ mile holiday to Ireland. I would agree with other reviews that the 3.0 petrol is unlikely to gain much favour these days, but the 2.0 HDi 136 diesel gives 37-41 mpg and given the size and weight of the car performs extremely well at high speed. Williamson Peugeot (Darlington) are 1st class and keep me on the road and were part of the reason I chose this car. A decision that to date I have not regretted So if you are looking for a greatly under appreciated long distance hauler with style, sophistication and all the toys you are likely to need look no further.

Michael Bone, County Durham, June 6th 2006

HDi S Executive 4dr

Buy one! It's that simple. No, I don't work for Peugeot, but I've been so utterly impressed with this car I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a 607 to anyone. I've spent a lot of time in the car, notching up 80,000 miles over the last two years. The 2.0HDi, although not hugely powerful, has enough go in it to rack up the miles without getting you frustrated. Set the cruise control, and it will provide you with an utterly relaxing experience. If you want a boy-racer testosterone-mobile, look elsewhere! If you're after relaxed civilisation in a roomy, comfortable cruiser, you've found it. Arguably the only criticism is the car's ability to munch tyres. 17-inch wheels with a car of this size and weight means an expensive tyre with a relatively limited life. The standard equipment is excellent and has been trouble-free. The satellite-navigation has proved its worth on numerous occasions, and the sound from the six-disc CD player is excellent. The service I've received from the local Peugeot dealership (Hawkins Peugeot) has been first class. In fact, it's been so good that I'm sticking with a Peugeot (an 807) for my next car. Peugeot has made one major mistake, though. They now only make the 607 with 3ltr engines which, as a company car driver, makes it a totally unfeasable option due to tax, emissions, and economy. In summary, if I were able to buy the same 2.0 HDi S Executive again, I would - today.

Andy Watkins, Cornwall, June 2nd 2006

HDi S Executive 4dr

I have had this car for three years. The car cost Β£21,000 new, and the trade-in value with 45,000 miles is only Β£6500. The average fuel economy is 37mpg. It's a very heavy car which goes through lots of tyres, which in turn are expensive. Several electrical problems have meant it has needed two new stereos, and the electric boot release has been replaced three times. For a big car, it's easy to drive, giving a satisfactory ride, although you do feel the bumps in roads. It also has a massive boot, which is easy to access. Would I have another one? No.

Frank Gourley, Lancashire, May 24th 2006

HDi SE 4dr

The 607 is a very underrated car. It is criticized for the depreciation from new, yet not acknowleged as a good second-hand buy. I run an 04-reg 2004 model as a company car, so depreciation is not a concern to me. The car is good-looking, very roomy, especially in the back, with excellent legroom and shoulder room. The boot is massive - 600 litres. It has useful storage cubbies and a ski hatch, and also folding rear seats. Additionally, there is good storage, with a cooled glovebox, centre armrest storage, pockets on the seat back and cupholders aplenty. Colour sat-nav, electric seats and boot lid, climate control, cruise control, auto lights and wipers, dimming mirrors, rear parking sensors and a six-CD changer are all standard items. I added black paint and xenon headlights, which are excellent. It's an excellent motorway car, very refined with low background noise levels. The 2.0 HDi engine is very smooth, with linear power delivery. However,due to this, the car probably feels slower than it really is. The average fuel economy of 42mpg is excellent for such a big car, the 80-litre tank means around 750 miles between stops. It's still a rare sight on UK roads, which adds an air of exclusivity to driving one. There is nothing that makes me think bits will fall off; the car remains well built and rattle free. I would definitely consider the 607 for my next car. It is an excellent cruiser with good high-speed ride. Just because it's not G

Geoff Roberts, July 27th 2005

HDi S 4dr

I have owned my 607 for 18 months and my initial enthusiasm has dulled due to several mechanical problems, which have meant that the car has actually been one of the most unreliable I have owned. The car looks great and is very well finished inside, with a very good quality feel. There is tons of room and rear occupants have a lot of room. The boot is massive. The car is very refined and is an ideal motorway cruiser. It is very quiet at speed and you very rarely hear the diesel engine. The climate control and stereo are very good. Generally most friends that have travelled in this agree that it makes a good "poor man's executive" car without you spending a great deal (especially if you buy second-hand... new ones plummet in value.) Fuel efficiency has been 43mpg-46mpg. Servicing costs are very fair. Now the not so good bits. The car labours, since weight to power ratio is poor. Once it's cruising all is well. The car has been in and out of the dealers for recalls, programming problems. It has spilt diesel on our drive (split fuel tank). It has had numerous fuel problems. I am now wondering if the bulb on the engine control warning light might soon need replacing, since it seems to spend more time on than off. Therefore, all in all, if you get a good one then this is a great car. If you get a bad one, then just be grateful that the car comes with three years' breakdown recovery, since you might be needing it!

jeff warin, essex, November 7th 2004