S 2dr

Always wanted one of these and found a nice low mileage car at a Belfast independent. Having driven it for 8 months I've found ownership to be both a rewarding and irritating experience. Plus points: It handles really well - I run out of courage a long time before the car runs out of grip The noise that the engine makes over 4000 rpm is sensational and addictive - the nearest thing I've known to driving a touring car Overall fit and finish is very good and the boot space isn't (quite) as terrible as I was expecting it to be Bad Points Shocking lack of comfort on any road surface other than a VERY smooth one. James Bond would love it (for shaking his martini) but as I don't drink martinis I hate it! * The road noise from the tyres and suspension is simply ridiculous - e.g. there's no point in buying an upgraded sound system as the noise will drown out anything other than a ghetto blaster. Whilst I love the good points, I hate the bad points so much it spoils the overall effect, so I'll be selling the car in the Spring. In the meantime I wish I had my F10 530D back!

Steve Laird, Co Antrim, December 8th 2014

S 2dr

I have now owned the 987 Porsche Cayman S ( 2013 model) and given my uncertainty about choosing this over a 911 a number of which I I have owned since mid 2000's ( 993's 996 and 997) this is an outstanding buy Pro's On a simple price value equation, the Porsche Cayman S represents outstanding value versus a current Porsche 911. In real world driving where absolute speed is meaningless, the Cayman S delivers a visceral thrill every time you are on the road. In PDK format it drives with enough driver involvement to make it enjoyable and less tiring. The new Caymans (987) versus the first generation Cayman's s looks even better especially with its 918 inspired headlamps It is built beautifully and I specified the Sports Chrono, PDK and PASM and Navigation and Bose and it becomes a outstanding grand tourer on long drives. I also find it significantly more comfortable than my other BMW. Con's The bluetooth is disgrace and has been the only thing that needed attention. On previous Porsche's I have never had this problem Prefer slightly less button heavy dash The dealer suggested I go for 20 inch wheels which are really not necessary as they generate a lot of road noise . 19' are ok. Overall, I am delighted by my purchase but would urge Porsche to think a bit harder on interior and improving dealer knowledge. When I come to change it I really do not envisage ever going back to a 911

Dee Dutta, UK, November 3rd 2014

S 2dr

Objectively better in every way than the 987. Faster in a straight line, faster around corners, more comfortable, better sounding, better looking, and more economical. And internally and externally it just looks and feels more expensive. But the last 987 seemed more an extension of the driver. It was a more intimate experience, and you could have your fun 10mph slower. The change to electric PAS does make a negative difference (though I guess most drivers would prefer the new electric steering). I've had the new Cayman S for a fortnight. But, for most journeys I think I might prefer the old model. Roads in southern England aren't big enough to truly enjoy the astonishingly capable new 981

Graham Rix, Surrey, July 10th 2013

2dr

I have owned this car for 12 months from new. It's a 2.9 with leather, Sat Nav, PDK, heated seats, 19" Carrera Classic wheels. I also negotiated some extras from the dealer - side graphics, twin chrome exhast and red brake callipers, so it looks rather nice, a bit like an "S". It is by far the best car I have ever driven regarding handling. I have driven a (997) 911 and also was lucky enough to be loaned a (991) 911 for a few days as the Cayman handover got delayed. The 911's were both S models with PDK, and they were stunningly fast. I don't think it would've taken long to lose my licence driving those around. It may sound silly, but it was probably too fast. You just either run out of road, catch someone up or come across speed cameras. Not to miss the point that driving at silly speeds is just that, silly! The Cayman is a different proposition. It IS very fast, but you get to enjoy the exhaust note and acceleration for that little bit longer. It handles absolutely brilliantly. It is also rather well mannered just pottering around at "sensible" speeds. I sometimes take it quite easy on my 20 mile commute to work, early in the morning and on a quiet motorway most of the way, I have managed to get 38-40 mpg. Driven fast, it drops to around 18mpg, but over 12 months I've averaged 25mpg. To conclude, this an all round terrific sports car with a nice badge, stunning looks, power and handling, but practical too, as long as you don't need 4 seats! Finally, the PDK box is super

Phil Read, May 16th 2013

S 2dr

Considering its heritage, this car is a joke, in poor taste. One year on from taking delivery, several weeks late as the factory "lost" the steering wheel, it still suffers from problems that has the After Sales Manager at the dealership "banging my head against the wall". These include the notorious so-called trunk thump, with additional incessant chattering noise that drives me to distraction, especially on warm days; to say nothing of the loose screw that rattles around on every sharp corner, stop and start, both of the latter courtesy of the dealership. The driver's door leaks and leaves an emulsive smear over a third of the inside glass after the window is wound down and up. The horn has nearly given up the ghost, and barley has the energy to emit a feeble "parp"; and the headlamp washers don't, and never have. As for the paintwork, it suffered a dose of red mist undercoat from some exterior contractors at my place of work, which the dealer removed, leaving a finish reminiscent of that left by a Brillo pad. No wonder that the best offer I have had represents a 31% loss of Β£18,000. Porsche? Never ever again.

Ian Thomson, July 8th 2008

S 2dr

I looked at many cars before I decided to go for the 3.4S; SLK 350, Audi TT (mk2), Z4 etc. I've had a TT (mk1) and 350Z in the past and this is probably the best one i've driven. This has to be one of the best handling cars on the road, the grip is just phenominal. I've heard many Porsche dealers say it handles better than a 911 and I believe it. It probably isnt as fast in a straight line (which is expected). The engine is really flexible - you can easily cruise on the motorway, traffic or rev it hard. I've got a few options such as Sports Chrono Pack and PASM which I highly recommend for those real "drivers" who want it for the drive. Porsche only make sports cars and this shows when your driving it - audi,bmw,merc can't really compete with the what they bring to sports cars and thats why Porsche remain soo popular. The quality of the materials is great inside and I would definately reccommend the Bose sound system. I've heard the standard and Porsche Sound Package - they were awful so avoid at all costs. Economy: I get around 25mpg local and I've had upto 35mpg on the motorway! What more do you want?

Sukhjeev Mehat, May 15th 2008

2dr

So far this car is the most complete car I have driven. Its an entry level Porsche but has an accomplished drive and ride. In terms of actual handling and drive its very capable but the ride can get harsh if on a bumpy road. On the motorway or good A roads its excellent, whilst a spirited drive can still maintain a healthy 24MPG a easy going drive can produce a startling 34MPG! Its now done 20k miles, and since purchase has just been into the dealer for its 1st service and it has been the most relaible car I have ever driven. With two boots it can be very easy to live with - plenty of storage space for a trip and even whilst moving it was amazing how much could be stored in the car. Compared to the Boxster this is a much tighter ride which allows you to "feel" the road - on a track this car is completely at home and the grip and poise is amazing! I look forward to many more years of Porsche ownership!

Tony Acharia, April 28th 2008

S 2dr

To answer some of the criticisms leveled at this car: 1. Buttons on dashboard are not confusing and the PCM is easy to use once you get used to it. 2. It could take more power but doesn't need a LSD for road use - if you think otherwise you're going too fast! I think more acceleration is needed, it needs to be sub 10 secs 0 to 100. 3. Running costs very good except fuel. I see between 14mpg and 17mpg although I don't wait around at the lights which could be most of the problem. It also seems to like oil having done about a litre in 6k miles. Hoping this will improve as engine beds in. 4. Door handles are cheap plastic but its not the end of the world. I enjoy my car very much, it is comfortable over long journeys and a blast on weekends. If you want a sports car and you have a budget in the 50k region then this is prob the best thing around.

Ben Lind, March 28th 2007

S 2dr

I picked up my Cayman S from the factory in Stuttgart in February 2006 and, nine months - and 9000 miles - later, it is still fantastic. The ride and handling are superb and the acceleration is very good - use the upper rev range to make best use of the power band. It sounds just fantastic! The thing is though that you can drive this car to its limits and then tootle along at 25 mph in a village and it's superb in both envronments. Running costs are excellent. Okay so I've averaged 22 mpg but what other car could you buy and then sell for at least 70% of its original value three years later? My advice would be to chose your colour and spec carefully. I went for Atlas Grey with leather, sports seats, PCM, PASM, Sports Chrono, Climate and the 19" wheels. Sound Package plus is not a fantastic option though - the sound quality is not particularly good. It looks just fantastic though. It is a surprisingly practical car too - for two at least. Don't even think of comparing this car to an Audi TT - it's in a different league.

Ken Murray, North Yorks, December 9th 2006

S 2dr

The Cayman is the most delightful, easy-to-drive car I've ever tried. At the wheel it feels like an extension of yourself. I usually drive a TT, so perhaps I'm easily impressed. I had, once, tried to persuade myself that the TT V6 was a half-price Porsche, but one test-drive of a Cayman, even before the salesman has swapped seats with you, clearly shows the error of that view (it's bye-bye TT now). The Cayman is a more intense, yet delicate, experience than a Boxster. However, the new 3.4 Boxster is Β£4000 cheaper, and it's generally identical to the Cayman, apart from its more expensive folding roof. Therefore the Cayman should be around Β£3000 less than the Boxster, or be fitted with an LSD and a 3.6 engine. Porsche is not making the Cayman as exciting as it could, so as not to take sales from the 911, but then BMW and Mercedes, which are making their cars as exciting as they can, still can't match the Cayman. So I guess the enthusiast with Β£50,000 to spend just has to buy one (and perhaps feel just a little irritated). Some of the fittings (such as the door handle, fog light surround and the standard non-leather interior) seem cheap. Otherwise, it's truly fabulous.

Graham Rix, Surrey, August 11th 2006

S 2dr

Truly awesome...nearly there in terms of 911 power yet a 100kg or so less in weight plus mid-engine stability, not to mention 12K cheaper (and less steroidal looking at the rear end!) Believe it or not, a very practical family car as my son's childseat fits in the front boot. Wife not convinced though. Great sound with the windows down...especially when red-lining the rev counter. The tiptronic is most welcome for those of us going through a mid-life crisis - but would also recommend auto AC, cruise control and PDC as a bare minimum list of extras...average of 22-23mpg hurts a bit though although have got it up to 27mpg on a long run.

John Haselden, Herts, July 13th 2006

S 2dr

My last car was a Porsche Boxster S, but this is a class above. The handling is much firmer, and the cabin less noisy than the Boxter, which is handy when talking (hands-free, no less) on the phone. Boot and bonnet space is the same as the Boxter; you can fit a large amount into them. There's one downside - having suffered a puncture last night, there's no spare wheel. You have to be low-loaded to a garage to have the wheel fixed. It's more of a nuisance than anything. This has not jaded my view, and I will always get that feeling of 'Wow... this is my car'. Fantastic!

Cat Sanderson, June 30th 2006

S 2dr

The Cayman S is the best practical sports car I have driven. The acceleration from a standing start and through the gears is verging on supercar performance. The handling is phenomenal due to the mid-mounted engine and perfect weight distribution. I believe the Cayman S is better than the 911 (997). It is more practical, more comfortable to drive, more fun to drive and Β£12,000 cheaper for the basic model. The only difference is that the Cayman S is slower from a standing start - however, it's still blisteringly quick. The gearbox and clutch are smooth and easily used, and the car generally feels more solid than the 911 and obviously more solid than the Boxster due to the solid roof. This is the best value for money Porsche you can buy. It's an excellent every-day, practical, grin-enducing sports car. I love it.

Jamie Stirling, Stirlingshire, June 26th 2006

S 2dr

This is an excellent car with a wonderful cabin compared to a sports car. Even though its HP is not as strong as its ferrari rivals, it has excellent control and acceleration.

Gordon Poon, May 5th 2006