Style 5dr

It’s frustrating when motoring journos fail to retain any kind of objectivity. Having read the review of the new VW Up, poor levels of standard kit- as usual with VW, below standard plastics, strange looks and expensive yet they give it 4 stars. If it drives anything like the Fox too, it won’t excel in that department either. If the Savvy had a VW badge on it CERTAINLY would not have the 1 star rating on here. Ignore it, because the Savvy is excellent for the price. Β£ 7K for a brand new one, good levels of standard kit- Air Con, Parking Sensors, decent sound system, 15” alloys- all probably not on the standard list of items on the Up. The looks have attracted attention too, probably as the Savvy is a little bit rarer than common-or-garden Fords and Vauxhall. Yeah there is plenty of plastic in there, but it looks decent enough, and seems well screwed together. The only downside so far is the digital fuel gauge, it offers limited accuracy, is not progressive enough and the light comes on with over a quarter of a tank left. There is nothing wrong with a needle. But what I love is the old school handling, the hydraulic steering set up gives plenty of feedback, and though it needs revving to get any serious progress going, the way it handles itself means you can carry the speed through the bends, I know this as fact, out there on the B roads of North/East Yorkshire. If you want something a bit different on a budget these days your options are fairly limited, so back the underdog!

Matti Carter, West Yorkshire, September 2nd 2011

Style 5dr

Just replaced my mums sirion with a savvy style automatic. Have to say I am really impressed. I am 6ft 2 and can drive it with ease. Also some how manages to have alot more room inside than the sirion it replaced. Manages motorway speeds with ease and is no nosier than any other manufacturer. Price wise its unbeatable. Seats 4 adults which most super minis cant do. I am suprised at the whatcar rating of 1 star. Certainly unjustified.

Julian Abraham, March 28th 2011

Street 5dr

I do not think a rating of 1 star does this little car justice. With standard alloys aircon parking sensers peppy 16v engine and a great warantee at the price that this car is available its hard to beat. Its not perfect but as far as value for money is concerned its hard to beat.We also love the looks even my teenage son aproves and that is praise indeed.Try one there are not many cars in this price range this good.

Andrew Halliday, essex, March 27th 2011

Style 5dr

i have owened a savvy for 2 years and it has been the best car i have ever had .we have been to eaurope on holliday with the back packed with a tent and camping gear,she had no problem on steep hills ,engine and gearbox quiet and efficient.kept up with the best of them.she is a fun car to drive.and i have had cars since 1957.

brian george, flintshire, October 9th 2008

Street 5dr

Only a totally unsavvy person would buy this car. What a funny name. Here's a good idea - buy a fridge.

R Samuel, July 7th 2008

Style 5dr

I don't know what car Alex French was reporting on but it was not the Proton Savvy? All I can say is there must be a lot of difference between the Savvy Street and the Savvy Style, every thing he reported I found the opposite> He should try the Saxo now there's a bad small car??

rod bradford, March 13th 2008

Street 5dr

Having taken this apparently nice little small car for a test drive there is not much to say. It's cheap, hidious, awful handing, noisy, skiddy on roundabouts and a horrible little car. When i took it for a test drive the alarm wouldn't go off even if you drove it up the road. The quality was nasty - like a christmas toy you would buy your children e.g. playskool car. It locked my son in the back and wouldn't release him and the clutch, gearbox and grip on the road is a nasty experience. If you want to get a Proton, don't get this one.

Alex French, Northants, November 17th 2007

Style 5dr

As a ex motor mechanic and been driving since 1948 and my last car was a Nissan Almera 1800 automatic there is a vast differece in the marques. So to get back to the savvy, mine has a sequential gearbox which like the engine I believe has some Renault input, using the box manually is perfect, but in auto it tends to be noisey when changing especially when cold. There is a lot of wind and road noise, but what car has not road noise on our badly surfaced roads of to-day. I do not find it very economical, it is comfortable, Holds the road like glue, no problem keeping up with motorway traffic. And it lets face it, great value for money, and not a copy of everything else on the road. And just one other point the that every one seems to miss, according to the paperwork and manuals I recieved with my car it says there is a 100,000 mile or 6 years guarantee on engine and gear box. In nearly 18 months ownership the only problem I have had was the roof trim lifting. But has I have always told people dont listen to or believe other peoples reports always try a vehicle for your self.

Ray Angell, Flints, September 23rd 2007

Style 5dr

Having owned Protons in the 90's I was optimistic - wrongly. I had a leaking petrol tank, missing screws, ill-fitting and broken trim, an air vent tha came to pieces, bits falling off, a failed wheel-bearing, the roof rubbers came unstuck when it rained, transmission warning lights coming on, an eccentric locking/alarm system - and it hasn't yet done 4000 miles. I have not managed to get much above the minimum official fuel consumption and would love to meet anyone has ever reached 60 mpg while motorway driving. I personally found it a terrible disappointment, and it has severely dented the high esteem I previously had for the marque. To be fair it looks quite nice and the dealership has been sympathetic.

Thomas Hewitt, Essex, June 25th 2007

Style 5dr

It looks cheeky but doesn't disguise its crudity. The gearbox is stiff but this will loosen up. The fuel gauge has a four-bar display which is woefully inaccurate and you can't open the boot without releasing it from the inside. I'd consider a second-hand Polo instead.

sotiris vassiliou, April 29th 2007

Style 5dr

Despite all the negative publicity and constant bashing of the Savvy here in Malaysia, I opted to own it as my very 1st car and so far, the experience has been up to my expectations. The biggest plus point of this car is its ride & handling ability. Tackle a corner at speed of up to 80 Kmh (I dare not to risk my life by trying any speed higher than that, although I believe that this car could do better) and it will stay glued to the road like a racer. Like everyone who owns a Savvy, the initial gear shifts are a bit awkward/stiff, but since then had loosened up a bit and now its superb. I drive this car mainly to work covering a distance of about 70+ km everyday. I traveled mainly (85-90%) on highways and the ride is smooth and enjoyable. This car is pretty powerful for its class, the interior is to my liking, and the exterior, especially the front, is strikingly sporty. A lot kancils (Nippa) and Kelisa and some Myvi had been "tapau" (meaning "to sent home", literal translation means "to wrap (and take away)" is a Cantonese slang here) by my Savvy during fast cornerings already. Hope to "tapau" a lot more "savvy bullies" out there. ;)

John Lam, Selangor, March 12th 2007

Style 5dr

I had a savvy in febuary last year and just part exchanged it.After two weeks the air con broke down,Then the top trims started to peel of the roof.I believe this was a common fault on the earlier cars,Then the car was recalled for a steering problem. I suppose you get what you pay for.Pleased to change this car after 10 months

john Hoppenbrouwers, denbighshire, February 16th 2007

Style 5dr

Having had Nissan Micras for some time, I had to be persuaded to try this lovely little car but I am very glad I did! The cost of my Nissan just kept rising, so it was an easy decision to make when the salesman told me the Micra I wanted was well over Β£10,000, so I saved over Β£4000 and had a new bathroom fitted, too!

Matthew Smith, Hampshire, December 21st 2006

Style 5dr

I have only recently purchased this car but am extremely pleased with it. The styling is great and really looks smart on the road and not a clone like some of the other superminis. Road handling is great and the specification covers everything you would want with a budger price tag. The inside cabin is a bit basic and the finish could be better but overall this is definitely a car to be recommended for those who want style & peformance on a low budget - don't take my word for it get one yourself!!

Diane Banks, August 26th 2006

Style 5dr

Not too bad, got a good deal with a low deposit. Was disappointed with the gear change initially, but the ride and handling is great. Doesn't roll, yet ride is supple without crashing and banging over bumps. Not well known so something to own for three years and throw away or own and never throw away. Depreciation expected to be horrible...

reuben how, Midlothian, July 19th 2006

Style 5dr

I don't know what car Alex French was driving but it was not the Proton Savvy? I have been driving Protons for 13 years, I have had a Savvy for 2 years, I have found it very reliable, the only problem I have had was the roof rubber and that was in the first 6 months? If you want a bad small car try a Citreon Saxo that is the worst car I have driven in my life and I have been driving for 40 years.

rodney bradford, July 4th 2006

Street 5dr

I've own this Savvy for 5 month, and i feel that this Savvy is very comfortable to drive for an disable people. Yes, i'm a disable person and i drive this car with my left hand only. I've try to drive other automatic transmission car but i do feel good with this AMT version of Savvy. The cost is quit low and the fuel consumption is quit economically. Thanks to Proton for developed this Savvy.

nizam hasrol, malaysia, June 7th 2006

Style 5dr

This car is a well built, cheap super-mini. It's a reliable small economical car with performance and comfort for those who like smart cars.

Anderson Smith, March 22nd 2006

Style 5dr

This car is cheap, reliable, and pretty. It is good value for money and a good drive. The fuel consumption is excellent. The noise level is low in either normal driving and motorway driving. The comfort level is good over long distances for a small car, too. I would recommend this car to anyone who wants to buy a cheap car.

Bill Harris, February 21st 2006

Style 5dr

Excellent Value, Surprising Performance. Semi Automatic transmission is really fun for this car. An ideal town car great for parking and good cross country. Although the interior is well designed and laid out, the material used lack a feel of quality. I cannot believe how few of these cars are around. It's the best bargain under Β£8K.The only modern car apart from the Mini with a character and personality.

Ryan Kowalski, February 17th 2006