dCi Dynamique TomTom Energy 5dr

We bought this car as a pre-registered demo with 60 miles on the clock from our local main agent in Feb 2014. This is our third Grand Scenic, after having two of the previous generation. We own the facelift version, which looks great compared to the original. The first thing you notice when you get in the cabin is the futuristic look, something my children love. Everything is in easy reach, and the sat-nav is easy to use. I would have given it five stars, but for the positioning of the headlight switch on the stalk being obscured by the steering wheel, so you can't see if they are off or in the auto position. I'm surprised to read the What Car? review being not very favourable to the ride, as I find it very comfortable. For a car of it's size it feels pretty nimble, and on empty roads it can easily be thrown about when cornering and on roundabouts. I'd even go so far to say t's fun to drive although that may be helped by the excellent 1.6 130bhp diesel engine. Running costs are very good, and on a long motorway run with the cruise set at 70 MPH, I have returned almost 70 mpg from it. Around town you're looking at just over 54 mpg, and combined around 59 mpg. The Stop-Start feature tajkes some getting used to at first, but once you get familiar with it, it comes naturally. We regularly fill all 7 seats, and the engine still has enough poke to get you places quickly. All in all, it's an improvement on the 2nd generation Scenic's, and a good VFM car.

Nickolas Fretwell, Kent, March 27th 2015

dCi Dynamique 5dr

This is our second Grand Scenic. The first was the 2008 model, best car we have ever had. The model describe here is the 2014 110 DCI. The engine has good acceleration. The ride is fine. Boot space is huge. A number of changes have been made over the older model, none of them good. Climate control has tiny buttons which are hard to find without actually looking at them which is obviously undesirable when driving, and overall it could be designed much more simply. The radio/CD is confusing and could be much simpler. The central storage unit means the seat belt holder is jammed between the seat and the storage unit and the belt is hard to get in. In the older model the seat height was high, which was great for getting in and out, for visibility and for comfort. The 2014 model has a more sloping windscreen and reduced height at the front of the cabin. The seating height looks to have been lowered to accommodate this. Pumping up the seat leads to banging head against the sun-visor, clearly dangerous and potentially lethal in a crash. Low seat positions feel awkward with knees bent; front-back seat adjustment is limited. Overall seating position is uncomfortable. I am only 5 foot 10 and conclude that this huge car is only OK for those who are short and my wife will now drive this car while I look for another one with a high seat position. Some terrible design decisions look to have been made with no notice taken of the effects on the driver. Very frustrating.

Peter Hoskins, January 18th 2015

dCi 106 Oasis 5dr

Coming to the end of my 3rd year with this car. Have 3 kids, and lead a typical 'Taxi Driving' mum lifestyle, so the kids and their friends are in and out and in and out of this car. I work as a Health Visitor, and this car has served me well, driving all day every day, both in a rural setting, and latterly urban driving....it is a really hard working car which....so far (!)...has never let me down. My kids love it...I am considering other makes for my next change (as this is my 3rd scenic in a row) but the kids want another one...they hate their dads luxurious Mondeo, and even when looking at a holiday hire car, they want us to book a Grand Scenic!! They love the excellent visibility. Negative points: Two collapsable back seats are v small/ no leg room, great for a small passenger! Also no spare tyre, which I know is common in this type of car...actually this is not a negative...gives me an excuse to call for help! Interesting points- The model I have has a keyless drive system, which was hard to get used to, now I love it,also the no handbrake--'parking button'...which again, once you get used to, is Fab.

Jacqueline McCracken, Antrim, February 20th 2009

VVT Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

I've had the automatic version of this car, from new, through Motability since December 2006. I have been delighed by it and would not hesitate to opt for another if the advance payment had not tripled in the intervening time. The raised platform is excellent for accessibility , visibility and driving position. The ride is smooth both around town and on the motorway. My average 32 mpg is respectable for a 2 litre auto gearbox. I,ve mainly had trouble free motoring. Once recall for a faulty A/C condenser and two visits to diagnose an ABS/ESP warning. A broken bonnet support leaver cost a ridiculous Β£2.75 for a replacement. To date, I have only covered 18,000 miles (mostly short journeys) and have had to service at 9,000 miles/1 year as opposed to the 18,000/2 years stated. My biggest gripe is with Motability as they will not change tyres until the tread debth is 2mm. I thus have to wait another 1000-1500 miles when Common sense would suggest they be a bit more flexible in their outlook. Finally a word of praise to the dealership, McKibbin Motors of Clough , county Down, a smallish, customer orientated type tragically few and far between nowdays.

VICTOR BAXTER, DOWN, February 8th 2009

dCi Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats] [Non FAP]

I loved driving this car. I had it for 6 months, bought it from one previous owner with low mileage. unfortunately whilst taking my children to school the dashboard started to pour with smoke and within 5 minutes the car was on fire. thankfully i took swift action and got my 2 children and 14 month old baby out of the car but they were very upset and continue to be. Renault are aware of this fault as apparently it is linked to the door mirror switch being live and can melt causing a risk of fire. had i have known this i would never have bought the car and put my children at risk.

anna weir, January 27th 2009

VVT Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

How's this for reliability of a new car. My wife picked the car up from the main dealers and within 30 minutes (22 miles) Warning light came on while travelling home. Burning smell and lots of oil and peculiar noises. Towed home by the AA and towed back to the main dealers this morning. Can't wait for the next instalment.....

Fraser Colquhoun, Herfordshire, November 27th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

I have had this car for 3 years now and its time for a new one , would I have another grand scenic ... no way . I have never had a car that I have had to call the RAC out to so many times , the electrics on this thing are terrible , new computer and instruments , aircon , electric windows and the battery goes flat if you sit in the car listening to the radio for longer than 10 mins.Roll on the end of the month lets see how my new C4 grand picasso stand up

Ralph Young, Cambs, September 14th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

I got this car as I have 3 children, so I thought this car would be ideal, but how wrong I was. I have had nothing but trouble with this car, I have had it for three years and in that time it has had problems with the Gearbox, which it needed a new one the electrics failed. Cleaning the interior drains the battery, I have had the RAC out twice. It's been in at the dealers 4 times for minor things. So overall it's been quite an ordeal with this car, I would put anyone off buying this car, or maybe I am a 1 off, I would like to think but reading the reviews of anybody I am not. I am trading it in tomorrow and I will be glad to say goodbye to it.

Robert Hardingham, Notts, August 31st 2008

VVT Privilege 5dr [7 Seats]

Not a car you choose with your heart, but 3 kids rather forces your hand. Have had ours for 4 years, and have had a reasonably good time so far regarding reliability. A few niggles, mainly electrical. Economy is not great, only getting about 30 on long runs, averaging overall 24-26. Interior is comfortable, but is already wearing, particularly on the drivers side seat bolster and carpets. It has done just over 20,000 miles, so not impressed with this. We added the panoramic sunroof and this has benn great to add light to what is already an airy cabin, but it creaks unless road is smooth and is not smooth when opening. Ride can be bouncy and does roll a bit too. Boot space is good, but the rear seats really should have been better thought out. Pop up easily, but you have to remove the carpet to do it. Slight re-design of the carpet (maybe already done??) would make this really easy. Satisfactory is about as good as it gets.

Kevin Juniper, August 24th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

I have had the 1.5dci 7 seat Dynamique for about 3 months now. It has returned economy figures within 2mpg of the manufacturer stated average, which is pretty good. Insurance has turned out to be cheaper than my old 1.6 petrol Scenic. That, and the ability to carry 7 with some luggage, pushes it into the 5 star rating for me. Renault's don't have a great record for reliability and I won't be keeping mine beyond the 3 year point, but I have been pleased with the quality so far. Everything works. It handles very well for the type of car - not too much roll and with the traction control it sticks to the road like glue if pushed. My only disappointment si that the a/c is a bit feeble on a really hot day (but not tested much this summer! The press don't like it, company users don't like their image but, at the end of the day, this is a great economical family car.

Paul Beard, August 18th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

we purchased car in november 05 from smiths renault in peterborough. generaly a very good car. slight niggle with drivers seat reclining lever, it should be wheel type. i am either too upright or too layed back. only problems have been squeaking front brakes and refusal to start after refilling with petrol. took car back to smiths, (very good service team) they sonn sorted the brakes. rac got car staarted after refusing to start got it to smiths and they traced fault to fuel tank. they fitted a new one, ok after that. all in all a good car. average mpg nearly 40, not bad for a big car like this. i do like the electric hand brake, it's brilliant for hill starts. no other faults and in some ways will be sad to see it go in november. will not be having another one though as we don't need such a large car anymore. bying a mazda 3 next time.

paul willimer, cambs, August 8th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats] [Non FAP]

I bought the 1.9 diesel a year ago second-hand and it's now 4 years old. It's done 45k miles. On the positive side, it's roomy inside, with a good driving position and not a bad sized boot, even when all 7 seats are up. The boot's not as big as a large 7 seater but beats similar cars like the Zafira or the Mazda 5 (important if you need to get a pram in). It's practical in that the seats go up and down easily; the automatic key is useful; the on-board computer is handy. However, it lets itself down badly in reliability. It's been at the garage on a monthly basis with little things going wrong such as injections plugs needing changed (twice in as many months) and other small but irritating problems. Now, the aircon has stopped working and it's Β£900 to repair it. It seems a fairly common problem. The internal quality inside is also annoying after a while. It feels cheap and as if it might not be that safe in a crash. Maybe they're better brand new, but I wouldn't risk a second-hand one again. The consumption isn't great but I'm doing short journeys at the moment so that may be the reason.

Suzanne Sosna, July 18th 2008

VVT Expression 5dr [7 Seats]

I have an 06 plate 1.6 Expression Grand Scenic and I am really enjoying it. It is a great car for our family and I am impressed with the package of the Expression. Ok, it's not the best for fuel economy on urban journeys but does really well on long journeys on the motorway (up to 44 mpg). It's a big car for a 1.6, so it probably wouldn't pull you out of bed. So it's not a car for racing about in but once you get used to taking life a bit easier behind the wheel, it is a great and comfy car to be in. The middle row is great for all car seats and, being higher up, is great for kids who suffer with the dreaded car sickness. The middle row windows in this model are also fitted with handy retractable sun shades. The only gripe I have is that I have had the car in a few times to sort a rattle underneath the car, caused (apparently) by the exhaust shield. It was only after the 3rd time I had been in with it, that the Service desk chose to point out this was an "ongoing problem with the Grand Scenic" and offered me no advice or solution. However, I have yet to come across a car dealership (of any ilk) that are prepared to be wholly honest and helpful!

Gillian Mackenzie, East Ayrshire, June 24th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats]

My wife has had a Dynamique 1.5dCi 106 for 9 months and has covered 6500 miles. Starting with the dealership,they supplied the incorrect specification of car; negative auto-lights and windscreen wipers. The vehicle itself, fuel economy has NEVER averaged above 42 mpg in mixed driving a far cry from what was stated. The interior and exterior is falling apart; rear view mirror no longer fit for purpose, seal around the windscreen keeps removing itself with dealerships being nothing but unhelpful. For a family car that prides itself on 5* Euro NCAP you would have thought that a 6 month olds car seat would fit. To my wife's astonishment the latest Maxi Cosi Tobi does not even fit as the rear seat as the are too narrow! Depreciation is like Zimbabwe's inflation, got offered Β£8000 for px and Β£11000 on private sale, that is between 45 - 50% of its value in 9 months. Thankfully we purchased on 0% APR with guaranteed minimum end value that has to be offered at ANY dealer regardless of brand. We will never entertain Renault again, back to SAAB, Subaru or Volvo. The only positives are cheap tax and insurance.

Mark Bate, WILTSHIRE, June 21st 2008

VVT Authentique 5dr [7 Seats]

i have had 55 plate nearly three years gets changed oct 08 been back to dealer 3 times for wheel locking nuts,seat belts,electric wiring to mirrors,went for first service last oct at 25,000 miles said it needed 4 brake discs plus brake pads one ball joint and dip stick seized in holder,i like for comfort and saftey but fuel running no that good i wont pick another one when time to change.

alex willamson, tyne and wear, June 12th 2008

dCi Expression 5dr [7 Seats]

I've had the 1.5 diesel expression about 3 months and have done about 5,000 miles so far. Its a company car. Its a nice car to own with two toddlers, we've made great use of all the space and practial storage. The seating options are great. The high up driving position and all the glass makes it a nice place to be. We've got the double sun roof thing and the cabin is a really nice bright, quiet spacious place to be. 1.5d is never going to be fast and the shape means that corners are not your friend! But, the 6th gear goes a long way towards making up for the engine - you can cruise the morotway at up to 90 without undue noise. Breaking, stearing, gear change etc are all perfectly compentent - not a driver's car but very good practical economical transport. We get 45mpg on average. I got an Expression model with lots of toys (separate tail gate window is the best one) for less than my company leasing allowance and its fairly low on the emissions charge. For the flexibility of 7 seats I'd be surprised if you can beat it on economics. Worst thing so far are quality worries. No squeaks yet, no mechanical failures and no electrical gremlins so far (fingers crossed, touch wood, etc etc). But on day 1 a lump of interior trim fell off. Had to replace wiper rubber when it fell out of the wiper and generally there's an air of naff-ness to the way its put together.

Paul J Clark, Buckinghamshire, June 9th 2008

dCi Expression 5dr

I have just downsized from the Grande Espace after 17 years of driving them. I am not particulary inpressed with the overall finish of the interior, looks cheap and as though it is made of compressed cardboard. Having read some of the reviews I wish I had done this before purchasing the car as I have had it back to the Dealer three times in as many weeks, Electric Window fault, Break Light, and a worn front Spring Mount. I cant comment on the fuel economy as I have not realy had it long enough to compare. Unlike other reviewers I find the seats very uncomfortable on a long journey, resulting in neck ache and a numb bum. As soon as the faults are rectified it will be looking for a new home and I will be back to the espace.

Rose Felloni, Suffolk, June 3rd 2008

dCi Dynamique S 5dr

I have owned this car for three weeks. We still have a 1998 1.9dTi Scenic with no real problems after 10 years - the only weakness was the electric window winders. I have just completed a 1000-mile round trip from Oxford to Inverness in two days - I had no aches, no pain and it was a pleasure to drive in all conditions. My only complaint is the lack of customer care. I ordered the car with a spare wheel - you've guessed the problem. I have been very patient with the supplying garage and Renault UK but all I get is ''we are looking into it'' - this is with proof of requesting a spare wheel. I can see this ending up with Watchdog and Small Claims! The overall rating has suffered only because of the perceived lack of customer care - certainly lack of communication.

vernon stevens, oxon, May 14th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr [7 Seats] [Non FAP]

Had this car for 2 years now, but will change in next year. Never again ! My main gripe is the diesel 'particulate filter'. I use the car mostly in town, and after about 50 miles or so, the instrument panel flashes 'clear particulate filter'. This is accompanied by a dramatic loss of performance, sluggish acceleration, e.g. 0 - 30 mph in approx. 30secs.! Even with no passengers, I must engage 1st gear to get the car to go up the slightest incline ! Last year I complained to the Renault dealer and was told in a 'sniggering manner', that I should have been aware of the need to take the car onto a motorway, and blast it for at least 20 minutes at 50-60 mph, in order to 'burn off the build up of carbon in the filter ! ! ( True) Amazing ! No one told me about this, previous to buying the car.

john patterson, March 1st 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr

We were really pleased when we found this car, it ticked all the boxes. It had lots of storage, environmentally sound, good running costs and 7 seats, 2 of which fold down to give excellent boot space. However it goes down hill from there. The car was 2004 and we had no end of faults, including new parking brake, new clutch, clutch pedal problems, sunroof and various regular electrical issues, needed new engine mount, injection problems, steering wheel had a fault, airbag problem, new glow plug was needed, new regulator for electric window and the list goes on. It cost thousands to repair as sadly most occurred out of warranty. Renault UK agreed to pay for some of the work as the car was such a disaster. I recommend contacting them whenever there are major faults. In actual fact now I list the faults I am amazed I didnt kick up more fuss! Sadly this great car didnt turn out quite as expected!

lisa docherty, surrey, February 18th 2008