Renault Laguna Owner reviews

T 16V Dynamique 5dr

I read with interest other reviews. We are currently on our 4th gearbox, 3rd clutch, 5th clutch master cylinder, 9th air con pump....and I hasten to add, last renault

jeremy spiller, November 5th 2012

dCi Expression 5dr

I bought my Laguna on its 3rd birthday in October 2011. I needed a new car at the time and wasn't sure exactly what I wanted, so I chose the Laguna as it was close to home, was clean and tidy and extremely good value; I paid under £4500 for it! Since then I've come to appreciate its quirky looks, fine ride and handling, fuel economy which has been 45.1 during minus temperatures and 51.5 at best (and I wasn't hanging about) and the excellent level of equipment. Mine is the base 'Expression' trim level with the 2.0dCi 130 engine so it comes with a decent amount of kit as standard. I didn't realise at the time but mine had approximately £2000 worth of options added from new, so it also has front fog lights, auto lights and wipers, cruise control, dark chrome console, dual-zone climate control and best of all integrated Carminat Sat Nav with live traffic, Bluetooth, voice recognition and a 7" widescreen display in the dash - awesome! Since October I have done over 10000 miles in the car and it has not missed a beat. I have topped up the fluids (including 400ml of oil - not bad!) and that is the only time I lift the bonnet. The car is now showing over 104000 miles and still feels solid and well put-together with no creaks or rattles. I'd highly recommend one of these to anyone. They are seriously good value on the used market and are a good quality product too. Mine is Eclipse Grey which along with Black and Silver are the best colours in my opinion.

Adam Smith, March 31st 2012

dCi Dynamique 5dr

Only had the car for 4-5 weeks but Im very happy with it. Bought an ex-lease car from auctions so never driven one and I was a little concerned about the small engine. Ive started working in a new location so Im looking at driving 20-25k per year mainly motorway so wanted something that would be good on the motorway and this hasnt disapointed. Obviously it is a small engine however its more then comfortable at motorway speed and round town. Its not fast but it never feels too slow. I cant comment yet on reliability, running cost etc other then the tax is only £95 per year. Its comfortable and decent quality in the cabin. The best thing of all though is the economy on a motorway. We have a local office only 4 miles from home in traffic and I struggle for 40mpg, however stick to 65-70mph on the motorway and get 75mpg, 75-80mpg will achieve around 60-65mpg. The first tank on a mixture of driving I got around 730 miles from it which averaged around 55mpg. Its just what I was looking for and for £5300 for a 3 year old model with 37k on the clock Im very happy with it.

Ben Scherer, November 15th 2011

T 16V Dynamique Techno 5dr

Bought this car with 50k - the 2.0t techno having owned an Alfa 156 before. Should have read the reviews before buying. Running costs are terrible - Have had to replace Gearbox, Flywheel, full clutch parts costing over 2K with just 65k on the clock. not covered under warrenty - Never will i buy renualt again - The parts cost the same as BMW and more than Audi. the fuel comsuption is aweful and the handling is nothing short of dangerous. DONT BUY RENAULT

Gareth Hart, February 15th 2009

dCi Dynamique Navigation 5dr

Posted a report a while ago. Just exchanged it for a Toyota Avensis (which is much better perceived quality). 2.5 years old with 31k on it and the only problem was the Electronic stability control went on it. Otherwise faultless (even tyres on fron lasted 29k, rears nearly new!), averaged 45-50 mpg (depending whether summer or winter - climate always on). 2 services at £150 each from Portsoy motors handled very well. Very comfy car. Would recommend the new 2.0dci to anyone (far better than 1.9, and much, much more reliable looking at these reports. But theres always that nagging feeling that all the electronic gismos will go wrong....its probably the history of renault, but i think (hope) they have turned the corner now tied up with nissan

Richard Bayley, January 21st 2009

16V Extreme 5dr

I bought this car at 4 years old. Looked great, really pleased with the internal features, good size family car. Needed a new ECU within a week. From then on lucky to go 3 months without a fault. Both front electric windows have been replaced, faulty handbrake, dash board computer cuts out all electrics if used, sunroof opens by itself but doesnt like closing again, replaced sensor on valve at a cost of £42 only for all to have now failed within days, for a second time. Suspension spring went on route to work taking tyre with it. Dealers dont stock keycards,WHY??????? have to come from France which needs programming to car, which takes ages and is costly. Advise people to check the keycards before buying as dealer never mentioned 1 didnt lock the car. This is just the faults i can remember. Infact the only thing that hasnt been replaced is the service light bulb which is suprising as its permanantly on! A real shame as its a nice drive, smooth and quiet with loads of boot space. Have persevered until now but its no longer cost effective to fix. Thought I just had a bad egg and considered buying another laguna but having read other reviews will think again.

Chris O'Smotherly, Hants, January 18th 2009

V6 24V Dynamique 5dr Auto

purchased the car 2 yrs ago for 3300 which i thought was a bargain.lovely car to drive expensive to maintain, £75 diag report needed before they can tell whats wrong,all lights are flashing to say that the tyres are flat when they are ok, just traded in for a new car. £1200 was the trade in price, be warned.

stuart jordan, December 20th 2008

16V Expression 5dr

By far the worst car I have ever bought (just six months old with 7,000 miles recorded), needing 18 visits back to the main dealer during the 18 months the car was owned. New gearbox (9,000 miles), new rear brakes (24,000 miles), new windscreen wiper motor, new electric window motor, new dashboard, mystery electronic faults, wayward tyre sensors... I could go on. In fact it was so bad that after those 18 months, the frustrated manufacturer stepped in and told the local dealer to provide me with a replacement vehicle. Which needed the rear brakes replacing (23,000 miles) and the sunroof electric motor replacing, less than one week later... To drive the car was a joy, outstandingly quiet on the motorway, returning 45mpg, with excellent handling, unique at the time key ignition, and the most stunning brakes ever felt. But as an ownership prospect..? What would I have done without that three-year warranty. Would I recommend or buy another..? Hmmm, what do you think..?

Mike Hayden, South Yorkshire, June 10th 2008

T 16V Initiale 5dr

Bought car from new 2005(05) have had some problems with it - replaced rear axle bushes and have had brakes cleaned on two occasions. The Initiale comes with all the extras SatNav, climate control, heated leather seats - lots of opportunities for electrical failures - but in 3 years have had only to replace a light bulb! Complaints: the local Renault dealership is dreadful; fuel consumption isn't brilliant; and the vehicle has currently no residual value.

David TEASE, June 2nd 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr

I drove this car 800km over a four day period on mixed roads A,B and C roads in i Ireland and i loved it. With only 110bhp this babe has plenty of pace and can comfortably cruise at 190kph on motorways and has nice big brakes to match. Over the 800km it averaged 7.2km/l and i did thrash it around. I thought it was good through the corners with very little body roll. It took a little time to get used to the diesel engine and overtaking required a little planning as you couldn't just drop a gear and blast past other cars. The suspension was fine and i drove on some really awful roads there was no banging or fear of bits falling off although i did wonder how it would feel after 30 or 40 thousand miles under its belt. I loved the interior half leather seats and soft plastics. It had real french style. I'd recently driven a 07 mkII Laguna and this really was a rubbish/ toilet/ bog roll and i swore all French cars must be like that but having driven this model i'd definately think of buying one.

tony sheehan, May 27th 2008

16V Dynamique 5dr

Well, what can I say except it is a lovely car to look at and inside but if you want to buy a car that just sits in your drive way and consumes money without you actually being able to drive it well then this is the ONE!!!! We have had nothing but trouble since the day we bought it from a new gear box, endless electrical problems,the key fob opens but does'nt lock the car, to the springs and so much more. I wish we'd never bought it, the worst investment in a car we've ever made. In a matter of one year we've had to be towed twice and I think we've only managed to drive it for about 3 months of the whole year. A very very unhappy Renault customer.

Sonia Hamilton, BERKSHIRE, May 27th 2008

V6 24V Privilege 5dr Auto

I have the rare second-hand Laguna V6 3.0 24v. Yes, it's real monster, if you are speaking about the engine, 210 HP. But it's absolutely unpossible to control this power! car is realy comfortable on the highway, but too soft on corners. Where in town, 3 litre motor in combination with automatic gear box is real disaster. I had Peugeot 406 Coupe with similar engine (3.0 Ltr V6 24 v auto), Pug's automatic gear box is full head higher! Reliability: You will repair this car at regular basis. During last 5 monthes I changeg 2 ignition coils (they were changed 7 (!) times before now, tank -door locking device, repared one door lock. Happily, there are no problems with engine by itself. I am changing motor oil every 30 000 km, and it's OK! No burn of oil at all. Car gone more than 60 000 miles till now. Regularly serviced by Renault dealers, it she looks quite fresh till now. Resume: only the reason to by Laguna II is a low price - you can find a perfect example with full options and 60 000 on clock for 3-4 000 pounds in Europe right now.

Viaceslavas Gliozeris, May 22nd 2008

T 16V GT 5dr

I bought this car as an ex-demonstrator and it's been excellent. Reliability is fine, and economy is OK but it depends how hard you drive it. With the 2.0T engine it goes really well and handles extremely well. It's been serviced each year and service costs can be a bit high (at a Renault dealer, though), but there have been no problems and the dealership have been good. The car looks great with 17-inch alloys, rear spoiler and grey/red leather seats. It has all the gadgets you could need and they haven't broken. There are a few rattles from the dash, but nothing significant. Overall, I'm very pleased with the car.

Tim Clarke, Hertfordshire, May 15th 2008

16V RT Sport 5dr [SR+AC]

I purchased the car new in 1998. It's the evolutoin model. Now covered 101,000 trouble free miles. The vehicle still has many original parts ie exhaust system, all rear brake parts, clutch. The bodywork and paint are like the day it came out of the showroom. Never been garaged, only polished about 4 x times in it's life, but must admit it gets washed on a regular basis. Over the years i have fitted a new battery and a Exhuast manifold, there have been 2 x routine cam belt changes due to mileage. The car has always started 1st time every time. Used everyday without fail, never off the road. It has never broke down and runs like a dream, very comfortable drive, great for long motorway journeys. A car like mine could bought for around £500 nowadays. If you can get one that's been looked after it would be an absolute bargain. Love it to bits wish I could buy the same car from new again. I always tell people that this car is the best thing that I have ever purchased and I,m dammed serious about that. There's loads of these cars just like mine out there just waiting to be snapped up for little money so what are you waiting for go get one.

ian moore, cumbria, April 15th 2008

dCi 150 Dynamique 5dr

I regret that new Laguna got only three stars in your review. I can't see any reasons for that. It is a really fantastic car; first class interior quality (better than in new Mondeo, Passat and Alfa 159; that is the major reason I have bought Laguna III and not some other car from the list mentioned above), kingdom of silence inside the cabin, impressive engine, very comfortable driving. I drive every day 120 km, going to work and back home, and my average consumption is 6,2 l/100 km. I don't know any other car doing that with 150 HP. The only remark that I have so far is that passenger sitting behind the driver doesn't have enough space for his feet, and if he is taller than 185 cm then his head may touch the rear roof of the cabin.

Gordan Dzamonja, April 6th 2008

dCi Dynamique 5dr

I bought this car (03 model) at 47000 miles with FSH by Renault agents. It has now done 72000 miles. In this time I have had a serious leak from the fuel tank, the 3rd gear sychro has failed, a pin fell out of the gearbox leaving me stuck in 3rd and 4th gears, the turbo and the intercooler have failed, the track rods ends and rear suspension bushes have had to be replaced, all 4 discs need relacing (£660), both remotes have failed (£180 each), the drivers window mechanism needed attention (a friends window shattered). Are Renault interested? Don't make me laugh! Pity that the designers of this beautiful car don't build them! Its a lovely motorway cruiser (50 mpg) but I have lost all confidence that I will get to my destination without something else failing or falling off. I will never buy Renault again!

Norman Harris, March 6th 2008

16V RTi 5dr [SR+AC]

96, 2 ltr, 5 door hatchback, 113,000 mls, Owned for nearly 2 yrs, bought for £250. Previously, I think a rep's car from every piece of service history which I gained with the car - quite a book, not surprising given it's age, nothing major during that time. Inside it was mint, semi bucket seats, even the drivers seat was mint given the mileage. Have had better ride quality in other cars, but the engine is brill, nought to 6o off the shovel, really surprised compared to so called quicker cars I've had in the past. I've replaced 1 front shocker, and what I consider ordinary motoring costs, ie. brake pads,new rear exhaust box and 2 front tyres. Everything well until gearbox/diff went. Attempted repair 3 times within a matter of 2 months, now decided to go for a fresh gearbox etc. which I would advise any readers to do if difficulty with gearbox/diff is encountered, it will save a lot of messing about being transported back to your mechanic and any extra costs therein. Despite this I am still awaiting the return of my vehicle with enthusiasm. I got the car cheap and will have spent about £500 by the time I get it back, but overall for £750 for so far 2 yrs driving to date, still a bargain. Watch this space!

Paul Douglas Hefferman, February 9th 2008

16V Dynamique 5dr

i bought this car new the only let down is that you cant yet buy rubber mats the car also does not seem to do many miles to the gallon at present im averaging 26miles to the gallon which is about 400miles in a full tank i drove a mondeo from new before the laguna which averaged 420miles and held 1.5 gallons less

alan keena, hertfordshire, February 5th 2008

16V Expression 5dr

This car is a total piece of junk. Mine has 24000 miles on the clock and has had 2 new cardkeys,rear suspension bushes,4 window regulators,4 central locking motors,4 ignition coils,2 tyres(faulty) new heated rear window and new hazard warning light switch fitted since new.Now the warranty is up so I have to pay for all repairs myself; and they cost an arm and a leg.I cant trade the car in for another make as the dealers have these lemons sussed and wont touch them. My only hope is to torch it for the insurance. DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY RENAULT SHOULD BE CHARGED WITH FRAUD FOR SELLING THIS JUNK

colm geraghty, February 3rd 2008

RT Sport 5dr

My dad has owned this car for 7 years and it's now done 150,000 miles. It has no major mechanical problems, and it's still on the original clutch, gearbox etc. First gear can be annoying to get into, this has been a problem for a long time. Otherwise it's good to drive and fuel economy is good - 40mpg. Opening the boot is annoying - it needs two hands! Poor design. Also back door can leak water. Overall you cannot complain - 150,000 miles and still going strong!

Alasdair Davis, January 12th 2008