dCi GT Line TomTom Energy 5dr

dCi 130 GT Line TomTom 5dr

Car is great just MPG is hard to get manufactures figures

Tom Purdy, Northants, January 5th 2014

VVT Authentique 5dr [Euro 4]

I had this car for just over 2 years and had my fair share of trouble with it if i'm honest. I niavely stuck it out as I really liked the car and loved the shape and interior. After having it a year the key card became very temperamental until it completely stopped working and I couldnt lock the car at all! I also got the dreaded 'card not detected' error on the dash and the car refused to start when I put the key card into the reader. I did not get this fixed and continued to start the car with a peice of metal popped in at the same time as the key card that acted like a conductor and started the engine after a fair bit of fiddling around! How embarrassing!! The electrics were shocking, I was forever changing the light bulbs in it as the were always blowing. The handbrake lever completely broke on me and that cost me 200 to fix! Renault wanted 150 for a new key card then the fuel injection went which cost me another 130.00 but wouldve been more if the fuel pump was brand new but fortunately I managed to get a second hand one. The car also developed a starting problem where I would be sat for about 5-10 mins every morning trying to get it to start. In the end I seriously couldnt take it anymore and sold it cheap as spares and repairs!

Rachel Evans, Cheshire, October 25th 2013

dCi 130 GT Line TomTom 5dr

Great car to drive looks good dont be put off by the official review as I couldnt disagree more with it!!!

Michael Gaffney, May 17th 2012

dCi 130 Dynamique 3dr [Euro 4]

Owned a 1.9dci 130 bhp for 2 & 1/2 years. For-never let me down in 25000 miles. Good mpg, best tank full 53 worst 42. Decent performance. Comfy but grippy seats and easy to drive. Light cabin with the panaromic sunroof. Only costs apart from service, tyres was it failed the mot on a track rod end (or something similar)-£180.00. Against-tyres are £160 each for decent make (has 17" alloys) 2 faults the car has are electrical-air con, passenger window motor. Interior "feels" cheap in places, but nothing has fallen off. All in all a very good car-i have now bought a Zafira for family reasons. On a personal note i have had 3 french cars (& have 2 company vans) & found them all to be reliable, the worst car i had was a Seat. The bits that need replacing (ant there were a lot) always had a Audi badge on so i dont buy into this "German engineering" myth.

adrian jenkins, tyne & wear , March 10th 2012

dCi 106 Dynamique 5dr

I personally think this is a good looking car. It drives very well and although the fuel economy is not quite what is states, it averages around 45mpg gaining 51mpg on a long drive. There are a few little rattles when accelerating, but it picks up well and is not sluggish. The equipment is great particularly the cruise control. Overall impressed and would certainly buy another Megane.

Garath Rawson, Nottinghamshire, July 31st 2011

dCi 80 Authentique 5dr

I have owned this car for a couple of years now and so far it has been great. But the plastic dashboard trim rattles and creaks as i drive along. apart from that its a great car the boot is a bit small but the engine has got plenty of grunt and will do over 60 mpg a lot of the time.

josh pringle, durham, April 19th 2011

VVT Dynamique 3dr

I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same issues with the seat belts. Recently when getting my baby out of the rear of the car I didn't notice the seat belt had not retracted back. The seat belt has a large solid plastic piece which stops it from returning. This caused me to fall out of the car, to avoid landing on my newborn I twisted and now have a fractured elbow.

Rhian Hill, February 12th 2009

VVT Dynamique 3dr

2nd part of review... 7.CD player stopped working,multi changer chose when to work! 8.Coil pack after coil pack after coil pack had to be replaced-the AA carry Renault coil packs because it is so common 9.I locked it and the drivers side window came down & STAYED down.Got it to go up but would then go up and down as it pleased.Told this was a common fault (water in the wiring loom) & quoted almost £1000. By that point I`d had enough and got rid. I bought the car because I liked the way it looked and had additional extras for relatively reasonable money,I found out why.You even have to jack it up to change a light bulb because of the access position under the wheel.When the exhaust needed replacing it took the garage several attempts and a week to get it right because of how awkward it was to fit.Service expensive++. Liked driving it when it worked,it was reasonable on fuel,quiet,held the road,reasonably nippy and had a very good NCAP rating. I would never,ever buy another one ever again.

Jen Truman, Staffordshire, February 10th 2009

dCi 106 Dynamique 5dr

i,ve got to say some of the prices on here are a load of rubbish £2000 for a steering rack ???????????? a lie maybe, Also £350 for a break system sounds cheap to me or maybe just the pads and discs were worn and needed replacing, what do you think I,ve had a VW golf on a 04 plate and it was nothing but trouble always breaking down and that car cost serious money to sort out but the renault megane that i have got at the moment just goes and goes and goes its on 110000 at the moment but has a full and complete service history and i look after my cars so it makes you think the ones on here that look after there cars love them and only have little problems but then there are some people on here that make up some very hard to believe prices for so called problems. So my advice is not to listen to the billy liers on here and go for a renault megane if you want to i did you won't regret it

lance burns, January 28th 2009

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr

I have owned my 04 Megane for two and a half years now and would not recommend a Renault to anyone. The electrics are shocking! My passenger window is broken and wont go up or down, currently wedged shut, quotes of upto £300 to fix. Losers power constantly when driving on motorways, will reduce from 70 mph to 40 mph in seconds then power will all of a sudden kick back in again. Engine warning light flickers on and off regularly, but told there is nothing wrong when I have had this checked. Headlight bulbs blow all the time, I have lost count on the number of times I have had to change those. Air conditioning system has failed, again works fine again on rare occassions. On the plus side....excellent miles per gallon, I get on average 650 miles from a full tank of diesel, great comfort and gadgets (when they work). I have had a clio dynamique (02 reg) that have also had many of the same faults, particularly losing power! Can't wait to part exchange my Megane......

Dave Hale, Northumberland, January 15th 2009

VVT Dynamique 3dr

The car bought me with its looks and trim which included some of never-before-seen tricks like card-key, keyless entry and start, automatic headlights and rain sensors, self-folding rear-vier mirrors and a fantastic trip computer. I bought this 53 reg two years ago and I overpaid it because it had ran only 15.000 miles. Overall I still like driving the car, but the number of times I've been to the garage is frustrating and hence I would never recommend it, but on the other hand a good friend of mine has a 05 reg 1.5dci and has done over 100.000 miles of international motoring with no problems whatsoever. Unluckily, on my Megane both windows have failed, the entire set of ignition coils was changed twice (the first time it was covered by guarantee), an array of expensive indicators and switches in the motor, and the cabin is now full of squeaks and rattles at only 45.000 miles. I'm also having a hard time selling it as nobody out there wants a 3-door petrol. However, the cabin materials are pleasing, topping the class-leading Audi A3, the seats are very comfortable and the motor returns fabulous economy, just like a diesel of the same bhp.

Milos Ristic, Serbia & Montenegro, January 7th 2009

dCi 106 Privilege 5dr

First of all I'll admit to not being a big fan of French cars, and I found the previous Megane particularly unappealing to look at and sit in. However, having been impressed by the much more conservative looks of the new model and its cheap running costs I thought I would go and try it out. I'm glad I did - it's a very impressive little car. The steering is nicely weighted and precise, and the handling of the car seems decent enough - even quite fun. The ride is generally comfortable once you get going, although it feels a little jittery at very low speeds over broken surfaces. The more powerful 1.5 diesel engine gives plenty of poke, surprisingly so considering the basic statistics. The official combined fuel consumption is impressive, and the relatively tall gearing means this is likely to be quite achievable on longer motorway journeys. The low CO2 emissions will also mean cheap annual road tax. The only possible downside is the cost of diesel. The interior feels very well put together with some nice soft feel plastics on the top of the dashboard. All controls have a nicely weighted action to them and the doors shut with a lovely clunk, more reminiscent of a German car. The front seats are very roomy, and the boot is a good size and shape. The rear is probably better described as adequate, and the rear doors aren't the best shape for east access. Overall, an impressive package which may persuade me to put aside my anti-French prejudices when it comes to cars.

Fredrik Rich, West Yorkshire, November 28th 2008

e RT 5dr [Elec Pack+SR]

I have owned the car for 18 months and from day one 2nd gear was a little iffy, put it down to getting used to it but it has gradually got worse. 1st gear pops out, 2nd and 3rd you really have to fight with. Had an MOT in august and passed with flying colours.. only for the engine mount to snap on the way home! Imobillisor likes to mess you about, and only seems to work if you leave it for a good 5-10 mins before trying again. You can turn the key and have no life what so ever time and time again, this is gradually getting worse. If the car is "cold" it has a great tendancy of cutting out while you are driving along the road. Started getting very sluggish and steering is like having no power steering at all at times. Petrol consumption is not great either, doing about 30miles to £10 of fuel. So on the look out for new car after christmas as I dont want to risk driving it anymore with my children in the car. Check all the service history when you buy one and be very aware that when one thing goes wrong.. everything will go wrong

corrina jones, November 26th 2008

dCi 80 Dynamique 3dr

i owned this car for a year and it has to be the worst car i have ever owned! thank god it was parked at work and someone smashed into it in a lorry and wrote it off last month. the first problem i had with the car was when the drivers window just dropped down into the door when i was on the motorway which cost £150 to fix. then the turbo stopped working and only kicked in after 4000 rpm which is usless, £350 to fix. then it needed a whole new breaking system to get it through its MOT that was another £350. and finally just before it was wrote off it broke down and needed a new alternator, another £150 to fix. oh and also it needed a new steering collum which would have cost £2000! all in all just a rubbish car to own really and i would never have a renault again as they have had enough of my money, however i did have a 1.2 clio dynamique before this car and that was a brilliant car.

andrew nixon, lancashire, November 9th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

We have owned our 2nd Megane for just over 2 years and it has been fault-free and excellent to drive and live with. It's smooth, safe and comfortable and very well equipped.

Howard Josephs, October 27th 2008

VVT Dynamique 5dr

Just a few more points i forgot, from last review, other bits that have gone wrong doesnt start well in the mornings takes upto 5 attempts to start the engine, remembered the name of the tracking device it is the tracking rods have gone so the tracking is never perfect. its got a faulty battery at the moment only 10months old the battery. as before meganes are only good for their looks and in a crash DONT BUY ONE or atleast an 03 plate. fuel consumption rubbish oh also check the v5 docs, if i put my registration number in a valuation or insurance thing on line it comes up as a 1.4 even though the v5 docs and the car clearly shows 1.6, dodgy i would say but prob a printing mistake on the data base, even though it does feel rough like a 1litre engine most of the time especially on starting off.

Holly Webster, Angus, October 12th 2008

VVT Privilege 5dr

I have owned this car for just over a year. Absolutely no problems during the year. Love all the little 'extras' but particularly the keyless entry system. Previously owned Ford Mondeo, Toyota Avensis, Vauxhall Astra, Fiat Uno, and others. Have dealt with manufacturers and dealers with all of them and can honestly say that Renault are the best. They are very polite and helpful especially Renault UK. Purchased car with no owners manual so contacted Renault and they emailed it through to me whilst talking to them on the phone. Only negative point is that my mother and father are both quite tall and mum in particular has problems if sitting in the back. But head room is not a problem as has been found on other vehicles. Once again all in all a lovely car to own and drive

Maren Marshall, London, September 7th 2008

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

What a car!! I've just sold a two litre petrol automatic Ford Mondeo that was returning, on average, 33 miles per gallon. With the credit crunch getting worse this was proving to expensive to run. I do over 1400 miles a month travelling to work. Fuel was costing fortune. I decided to sell the mondeo and after doing some research I decided to by a 55 plate 1.5dci Renault Megane(86). BEST decision I have ever made. It's not quick and it hasn't got the room of the mondeo but....what a car! I've averaged 61.3mpg per tank of diesel. That equates to 730 to 750 miles on a tank. (Diesel at 123.9). It costs me £35 to tax A YEAR!! I'm 27, 4 years no claims, no points and insurance fully comp is £320. The dynamique model. Full e/w, e/mirrors, A/C, CD, Trip, Alloys, met paint, auto lights/wipers etc... etc... Anybody looking for a good, cheap to run, well equipped car should seriously consider a Megane. I cannot stress enough how good this car is.

Adam Pendlebury, August 14th 2008

dCi 120 Dynamique 5dr

I've driven 109,000 miles in my 54 Reg Megane and most of them have been fault free. The car is excellent on the motorway (c53mpg sitting at 70mph) and very quiet. Very competent cruiser with comfy seats and good stereo. It's not exactly exciting on country roads.If you've got tall friends it's not fantastic in the back, and the boot's not great either but then it's only a small car. No Focus beater but I'd definately get another one. Only things that have gone wrong: cable linking the 'start' buton to the clutch lever broke within 1,000m and at 80,000m the battery decided to discharge of it's own accord but apart from that it's been great.

Paul Konig, Berkshire, August 9th 2008