Renault Megane Renault Sport 275 Owner reviews

dCi Dynamique TomTom Energy 3dr

Bought this as a pre reg car - great price and a great combination of style, sporty chassis and diesel economy. The car is well built, fun to drive and the engine is one of the smoothest and quietest diesels I have ever had. I know that rear space is limited, but not a problem as for most of the time |I use it for myself as a daily driver to work - economy is improving - now done 4000 miles and averaging around 60 mpg - also surprisingly sprightly in the mid-range....great little car

john naunton, March 15th 2015

dCi 130 GT Line TomTom 5dr

Car is great just MPG is hard to get manufactures figures

Tom Purdy, Northants, January 5th 2014

VVT Authentique 5dr [Euro 4]

I had this car for just over 2 years and had my fair share of trouble with it if i'm honest. I niavely stuck it out as I really liked the car and loved the shape and interior. After having it a year the key card became very temperamental until it completely stopped working and I couldnt lock the car at all! I also got the dreaded 'card not detected' error on the dash and the car refused to start when I put the key card into the reader. I did not get this fixed and continued to start the car with a peice of metal popped in at the same time as the key card that acted like a conductor and started the engine after a fair bit of fiddling around! How embarrassing!! The electrics were shocking, I was forever changing the light bulbs in it as the were always blowing. The handbrake lever completely broke on me and that cost me 200 to fix! Renault wanted 150 for a new key card then the fuel injection went which cost me another 130.00 but wouldve been more if the fuel pump was brand new but fortunately I managed to get a second hand one. The car also developed a starting problem where I would be sat for about 5-10 mins every morning trying to get it to start. In the end I seriously couldnt take it anymore and sold it cheap as spares and repairs!

Rachel Evans, Cheshire, October 25th 2013

dCi 110 Dynamique TomTom 3dr EDC

I nearly didn't buy this car having looked at the 'What Car' reviews. Luckily I looked around at other reviews and discovered that What Car seemed to be somewhat niggardly with its ratings on this one. I had owned a Mini Cooper which to my surprise had proven immensely unreliable and costly, and having lost faith I needed a quick change and I picked up a 1.5 DCI with S/S technology at a very reasonable discount. I have to say the car is great, very economical and containing every gadget you can think of it's comfortable and appealing on the eye. It has enough room in the back for the Kids and the boot is a good size and it's zero rated for road tax. Visibility to the rear is restricted and you need to keep your wits about you reversing into a tight space so the reversing warning option would be a good one for many. The performance is not at all bad and she kicks along quite nicely on the motorway, the engine is very quiet and the road noise more than acceptable. The steering is a little light, especially having come from the very direct feel of the Mini, but it doesn't take long to get used to it. So all in all, cheap to buy, cheap to run, good looking and with great features as standard, sufficient room for most uses and reasonable if not super performance. I would certainly recommend this car and think 2 stars is completely under rating it. I drive many different cars at work and think this is very competitve car in terms of overall looks, economy and practicality.

Ray Howard, Oxfordshire, August 9th 2013

16V 110 TomTom Edition 5dr

I am the owner of a Megane Sport tourer in Dynamique form. Its the 1.6 (109 bhp). Its a good car, not let me down yet, but it has niggles. Mine is converted to LPG, (prins VSi) which is giving me 60 mpg in comparison to price of Unleaded. If you know anything about LPG, it in fact only does 30 to the gallon on MPG, but being generally half the price of ULG, it goes twice as far for the buck. Simple. My niggling points are as follows. For the 1.6 petrol, it cruises down the motorway at 70 mph with revs of 3500 rpm, which is most annoying. Bump her up to 80, and your looking at the wrong end of 3750 rpm, which does not make for relaxed cruising. Door catches which hold the door to the body shell keep coming undone- annoying having to re tighten every 2000 miles! The interior coveron the seats is worse than tissue paper, a jeans stud or catching on a box or luggage being out into the car will result in a "pull" in the fabric. You would be amazed how easily this is done to the cars' interior. Wet toilet paper would stand up better. Visibility in the cabin is poor, I dont know why that is, head rests seem tall but aside from that, every where you look seems to have something in the road of view. Remote locking is a joke. You are able to walk away and the car will lock, unlocking automatically when you return. If you are lucky. Most of the time keyless go will refuse, new batt dont help, it just seems to be one of those things. All in all, a fair car,nothing more...

Mark Owens, Renfrewshire, June 19th 2013

dCi 130 GT Line TomTom 5dr

Great car to drive looks good dont be put off by the official review as I couldnt disagree more with it!!!

Michael Gaffney, May 17th 2012

dCi 130 Dynamique 3dr [Euro 4]

Owned a 1.9dci 130 bhp for 2 & 1/2 years. For-never let me down in 25000 miles. Good mpg, best tank full 53 worst 42. Decent performance. Comfy but grippy seats and easy to drive. Light cabin with the panaromic sunroof. Only costs apart from service, tyres was it failed the mot on a track rod end (or something similar)-Β£180.00. Against-tyres are Β£160 each for decent make (has 17" alloys) 2 faults the car has are electrical-air con, passenger window motor. Interior "feels" cheap in places, but nothing has fallen off. All in all a very good car-i have now bought a Zafira for family reasons. On a personal note i have had 3 french cars (& have 2 company vans) & found them all to be reliable, the worst car i had was a Seat. The bits that need replacing (ant there were a lot) always had a Audi badge on so i dont buy into this "German engineering" myth.

adrian jenkins, tyne & wear , March 10th 2012

dCi 130 Dynamique TomTom 2dr

I have owned this car for 6 months and have found it to be a good drive. The car is achieving 50mpg with a mixture of town and A road driving. The only thing that is a bit of a niggle is that the pillars for the windscreen are quite thick but of course this is part of the safety package. And you do have a bit more wind noise in the cabin when compared to say a focus cabriolet. The seats are comfortable on long journeys. Boot space is generous.

Douglas Greig, CLEVELAND, September 12th 2011

dCi 106 Dynamique 5dr

I personally think this is a good looking car. It drives very well and although the fuel economy is not quite what is states, it averages around 45mpg gaining 51mpg on a long drive. There are a few little rattles when accelerating, but it picks up well and is not sluggish. The equipment is great particularly the cruise control. Overall impressed and would certainly buy another Megane.

Garath Rawson, Nottinghamshire, July 31st 2011

dCi 80 Authentique 5dr

I have owned this car for a couple of years now and so far it has been great. But the plastic dashboard trim rattles and creaks as i drive along. apart from that its a great car the boot is a bit small but the engine has got plenty of grunt and will do over 60 mpg a lot of the time.

josh pringle, durham, April 19th 2011

dCi 106 Dynamique 3dr

Although I yet to own this car, having had a test drive, I am having to wonder how tall the guys are that test these cars are? I am 6'1 and a half and I managed to sit bolt up with an inch of head room left, my legs never felt cramped, and the comfort was fantastic! Styling on the interior is a little bland, but to be honest this isn't highly important. The exterior is really impressive, some parts look a little cheap, but it really is a good sign that renault is at last taking styling serious. Whilst the engine sizes may not be overly powerful, they are plenty good enough for the legal limit, plus low emissions on the expressions dci version makes ownership very reasonable! Anyone looking for an entry level coupe this is your car.

Andrew Chorley, February 21st 2009

VVT Dynamique 3dr

I would like to know if anyone has experienced the same issues with the seat belts. Recently when getting my baby out of the rear of the car I didn't notice the seat belt had not retracted back. The seat belt has a large solid plastic piece which stops it from returning. This caused me to fall out of the car, to avoid landing on my newborn I twisted and now have a fractured elbow.

Rhian Hill, February 12th 2009

VVT Dynamique 3dr

2nd part of review... 7.CD player stopped working,multi changer chose when to work! 8.Coil pack after coil pack after coil pack had to be replaced-the AA carry Renault coil packs because it is so common 9.I locked it and the drivers side window came down & STAYED down.Got it to go up but would then go up and down as it pleased.Told this was a common fault (water in the wiring loom) & quoted almost Β£1000. By that point I`d had enough and got rid. I bought the car because I liked the way it looked and had additional extras for relatively reasonable money,I found out why.You even have to jack it up to change a light bulb because of the access position under the wheel.When the exhaust needed replacing it took the garage several attempts and a week to get it right because of how awkward it was to fit.Service expensive++. Liked driving it when it worked,it was reasonable on fuel,quiet,held the road,reasonably nippy and had a very good NCAP rating. I would never,ever buy another one ever again.

Jen Truman, Staffordshire, February 10th 2009

VVT Oasis 5dr

bought new 2005 at a good price, apart from needing new fly wheel and two new rear door handles,one stopped working replacememt chipped paint,all work was done under warrenty.the car has given us good family transport,the plastics inside could be better,and after 3 and half years and 20.000 miles things seem ok,fingers crossed all the electrics keep working,as i will have to keep it for a few more years,as the trade in price will be poor. over all 7 out of 10

david simmonds, essex, January 30th 2009

dCi 106 Dynamique 5dr

i,ve got to say some of the prices on here are a load of rubbish Β£2000 for a steering rack ???????????? a lie maybe, Also Β£350 for a break system sounds cheap to me or maybe just the pads and discs were worn and needed replacing, what do you think I,ve had a VW golf on a 04 plate and it was nothing but trouble always breaking down and that car cost serious money to sort out but the renault megane that i have got at the moment just goes and goes and goes its on 110000 at the moment but has a full and complete service history and i look after my cars so it makes you think the ones on here that look after there cars love them and only have little problems but then there are some people on here that make up some very hard to believe prices for so called problems. So my advice is not to listen to the billy liers on here and go for a renault megane if you want to i did you won't regret it

lance burns, January 28th 2009

VVT Privilege 2dr

I have owned this car since feb 07 which is the 2004 model and have had major problems with this car overall. DO NOT BUT THESE CARS, THERE IS MAJOR FAULTS AND PROBLEMS WITH THIS TYPE OF CAR AND I THINK THAT RENAULT SHOULD STOP SELLING IT!! Where do i start, the roof leaks!!! I have had it fixed by the renault dealership 3 times now and it leaks again after they claim its fixed!! The car has major mechanical problems, the car does not start from time to time, I have called out the AA dozens of times and they cant find no faults with it on there computer. They recommend each time to bring it to the renault dealership which i do. They changed all sensors and associated components along with the spark plugs in the engine which has totalled me to nearly Β£1000 so far!! The renault dealership customer services is very poor!! Everytime the car has been in the garage, it is normally in the garage for around 3 days to a week at a time!! This is appalling for a car that costs nearly Β£20,000 Brand New. Car also rattles and makes noise over bumps, uneven road surfaces etc, and there is alot of wind intrusion with the roof up!! I have lost all confidence in the car and Renault as these cars have an obvious fault and problem with it which they are not willing to admit!! I will not be buying a Renault Car again!!! It can cost up to Β£800 to sort out the leaky roofs dependant on where the leak is!!

Nigel Charlette, Berkshire, January 24th 2009

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr

I have owned my 04 Megane for two and a half years now and would not recommend a Renault to anyone. The electrics are shocking! My passenger window is broken and wont go up or down, currently wedged shut, quotes of upto Β£300 to fix. Losers power constantly when driving on motorways, will reduce from 70 mph to 40 mph in seconds then power will all of a sudden kick back in again. Engine warning light flickers on and off regularly, but told there is nothing wrong when I have had this checked. Headlight bulbs blow all the time, I have lost count on the number of times I have had to change those. Air conditioning system has failed, again works fine again on rare occassions. On the plus side....excellent miles per gallon, I get on average 650 miles from a full tank of diesel, great comfort and gadgets (when they work). I have had a clio dynamique (02 reg) that have also had many of the same faults, particularly losing power! Can't wait to part exchange my Megane......

Dave Hale, Northumberland, January 15th 2009

VVT Dynamique 3dr

The car bought me with its looks and trim which included some of never-before-seen tricks like card-key, keyless entry and start, automatic headlights and rain sensors, self-folding rear-vier mirrors and a fantastic trip computer. I bought this 53 reg two years ago and I overpaid it because it had ran only 15.000 miles. Overall I still like driving the car, but the number of times I've been to the garage is frustrating and hence I would never recommend it, but on the other hand a good friend of mine has a 05 reg 1.5dci and has done over 100.000 miles of international motoring with no problems whatsoever. Unluckily, on my Megane both windows have failed, the entire set of ignition coils was changed twice (the first time it was covered by guarantee), an array of expensive indicators and switches in the motor, and the cabin is now full of squeaks and rattles at only 45.000 miles. I'm also having a hard time selling it as nobody out there wants a 3-door petrol. However, the cabin materials are pleasing, topping the class-leading Audi A3, the seats are very comfortable and the motor returns fabulous economy, just like a diesel of the same bhp.

Milos Ristic, Serbia & Montenegro, January 7th 2009