Renault Modus Hatchback Owner reviews

I-Music 5dr

Have just purchased this car after P/X a Grand Espace and it is very deceptive inside cabin space is excellent,we can still carry the baggage we used to take in the espace,was not sure if it could but not a problem 5 Star NCAP as well.Not due for a service until 18.000 miles tyres around £60.00 espace tyres were £160.00!!This New car is returning 52 MPG on the motorway road tax is £115.The espace was £425.00. and 19 MPG around town 30 mpg on the motorway Insurance has been halved,from £53.00 to around £26.00.The ride is excellent I have previously owned 4 Scenics and this car is excellent if you want to be frugle in these hard motoring times go and test drive one you wont be disappointed and your bank balance will remain in a healthy condition too and not forgetting the eco2 engine good to the environment.

colin smyth, cheshire, July 18th 2011

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr [AC] Euro 4

My Modus dates from October 2004, making it one of the first in the country. It's compact, economical and spacious. This "you must compromise between boot space and passenger legroom" shouldn't be a criticism. "You can compromise between..." would be a better way of putting it. There aren't many cars that give you the choice. The boot's only been too small when we've taken it four-up on holiday. Then we've fitted a roof box and the bike carrier that we opted for and travelled with all our luggage for a fortnight and four bikes. The rest of the year it's all the car a family of four needs. The engine is quiet and punchy. Everything works and the premium price pays for premium equipment levels. Yes there are bigger and faster cars around, but you won't find a more practical small MPV.

Sean Phillips, July 7th 2008

Privilege 5dr

I've owned this since new in Dec '04. All in all I've been pretty pleased with it. As a town car it's pretty hard to beat - parking's a breeze. On the motorway, it's solid and, up to a point, holds its own in the fast lane. It's comfortable, light and airy, although I agree that the folded over rear seats are a waste of space and time. I've had no issues with the overall build quality but like everyone else I've suffered headlamp (2)and coil failures. With the lamps, Renault are well aware of the problem and their customer service department waived the charges without argument. The quoted price from Renault is £60 labour + £10 for the bulb + VAT - outrageous! A clear design fault and needs sorting out. With the coils,although only one was faulty, customer service ok'd the replacement of all 4 free of charge. Can't really complain about this - other than the fact that my car's only done 11,500 miles and, on both counts,it shouldn't be having trouble of this sort. Whatever, if you have trouble of this sort it is worth complaining to Customer Service, both issues have been well documented and they do have the ability to instruct the dealer to do the work at no cost. It's a pity they can't do something about the fuel consumption which is pretty poor - mine's an auto so I expected it to be so - but it's still well below the stated figures and that's surprising for what is, after all, a small(ish) car using a developed power train. Could do better!!

Howard Waters, June 12th 2008

dCi 86 Oasis 5dr Euro 4

Traded in 1.5 dCi 80 with 25,000 for a 1.5 dCi 86 Oasis with 8,000 miles on a 56 plate - its swings and roudabouts - drive line harshess at low rpm has been eradicated - overall gearing is slightly higher - the boot shoot is a load of rubbish and the tail gate now very heavy and the boot shoot plate rattles and creaks all the time Consumptions - regertably car makers play the game and test cars to the rules the 64 mpg is partly computer generated figure made in the most favourable and ideal conditions but never to be repeated in real life - any engineer will know that it takes a set amount of power to move an object of a shape at a set speed. If it is 50 hp then you will burn the fuel comensurate with 50 hp in a diesel engine - consumptions in the upper 50's is about correct for the Modus - summer time high 50's winter time middle to low 50's. by driving gentle at 45 - 50 mpg I can get 63 mpg butr i will remark on this to the dealer as he masybe able to tweek the CPU to get a bit more - but only a marginal improvement is anticipated I looked at the VW blue motion - is has high gearing - low resistance tires a horrible three cylinder engine all to get the exhaust gas down - in practise no better than other cars with the same shape and weight

Fred Redmond, Herts, May 21st 2008

dCi 86 Oasis 5dr Euro 4

Have owned this car from new for 10 months had a scenic previously. Nice car to drive, comfortable and roomy enough for 4 with the rear seat in its furthest back position. (not much room for luggage though!!). Running costs are good around town about 55mpg. Dissapointing though out of town. We struggle to get more that 55mpg at a combination of steady (65-70mph) motorway speeds and 'A' roads. Does anyone get the advertised 62mpg combined? - we never have despite being steady drivers. Cabin fine, light, airy and spacious feel with the glass sunroof. Interior showing no signs of wear but the feel of some of the dashboard plastics are a bit hard and cheap. Overall a decent car, easy to live with, just wish we could achieve the adverised 62mpg.

Allan Andrews, April 12th 2008

Dynamique 5dr

I am appalled by the costs of driving this car. As a used car, bought in 2004 on the 'Renault-to-go' scheme, I have had several enforced visits to the local Renault garage. Thankfully, most (thus far) have been within the warranty period. I am now 'on my own'. Since owning it (a 54 plate with a few thou' on the clock) I have had each/every coil break down giving the 'check emissions' and misfiring scenario. That's four coils @ approx. £100 a piece. The last one went within 2 weeks of the penultimate ! I have also suffered the enforced, scandalous headlamp bulb replacement costs - twice over! Each failure cost me approx, £60 to replace one bulb ! The car has to be virtually taken to bits (I know - I saw it all over the garage floor) - just to change out a miserable bulb. It is a shame that these not-so-hidden costs mar what is a decent car - both in performance and design.

Richard Walton, April 10th 2008

Dynamique 5dr

Well, we've still got our little Modus (see last review 13/3/08) and now (today) reached 95k miles. Only just replaced the brake pads and discs - Renault dealer beat the Kwik Fit quote. All four coils have been replaced which was £240, and the cam belt was changed at 72k, haggled with dealer and got that down to £450 which was only slightly more than an independent. Dealer has been excellent and generally speaking reliability and running costs have been less than other cars I've owned is the main reason we've kept it. Only glitch has been a spark plug exploding which took out a coil at 91K - note dealers only change spark plugs at major services. I'm still on my third set of tyres and there is I think at least another 18k in them so I'm generally impressed with the normal expected running costs. Averaging 38mpg on a usual daily trip which consists of 10 miles of city / town roads and 2 miles of dual carriage way and I'm not one to hang around as it were. We're now looking at a bigger car so at some point soon we'll say goodbye to our Modus. Would I buy another?. Yes and No, Yes in that I would buy the Grande Modus instead for extra space. No as our early one is nice and bright & airy with light coloured trip which is one of the things which drew us to the car - whereas the new ones are dull, black and grey inside which we dislike. Despite the issues of reliability with coils the crunch factor is my dealer - always helpful in a timely & efficient fashion.

Darren Newbold, Leicestershire, March 13th 2008

Expression 5dr [AC] [Euro 4]

my wife has owened this car for 2 years, thought a first good car, but i am now changing my mind there is a blind spot on this car when at corners due to the way the door is positioned, we have had to change the tyres and not been able to find anybody who stocks them, took us a week to replace them, ours is a 1.2ltre begining to realise the engine to small for the car therfore consumption can be quite high for the car and now to cap it all off main bulb just gone and found out the bumper and main light as to come out renault just quoted me £107 to replace and that is with me supplying the bulb myself. so will be selling this car a soon as, never to buy renault again for supposedly small car cost to high.

ian rowe, lancashire, December 28th 2007

Privilege 5dr

I have owned this car for nearly 8 months now and I am very pleased with my first venture into owning a French car. The only problem that I have had is a misfire problem, which was a coil but this was sorted out at the dealership under warranty in half a day. The Modus is a little different from my previous car, which was a Jaguar S Type 3.0 V6. But an ever-growing family and the lack of money that goes with it ensured the Modus was a choice forced upon me. I am happy as the Modus is willing and has the space, airy feel that the Jag was lacking. My 4 1/2 year old son loves the panoramic roof and the good visibility he has and overall the whole family is chuffed with this little cheecky chap. My wife is even more chuffed after seeing the crash test on Fifth Gear, with a Volvo 740gl and the Modus coming out the winners, as safety is a big concern when you are carrying your brood around. Not the most accomplished car I have ever owned or driven, but a thumbs up for my first French car.

Darren Driver, Cheshire, December 13th 2007

Dynamique S 5dr Auto

I bought an 05 plate 1.6 Dynamique A/C Auto Modus in August from a Renault main dealer, with just over 17k miles on the clock. A few weeks after I bought it the "service" and "toxic fume" warning lights came on and "check emissions" on the display. I took it back to the dealer who could find nothing wrong, but said if it happened again I would need a new "dephaser unit". After an internet search, it seems there is a common problem with the dephaser on cars fitted with the 1.6 16v engine (not just the Modus). This costs approx £600 to fix. 2 days later, the warning lights came on again. Dealer insisted it didn't need a new dephaser but did need a solenoid replacing in it. 12 days ago the lights came on again and the engine was mis-firing. This time dealer said it did need new dephaser and they had ordered parts. Next day they changed their mind and hadn't fitted it, just "recalibrated" old one and fitted new cam shaft sensor. Less than 24hrs later the warnings lights were on again, went back to dealer who said they found a "loose connection". The car has been back 4 times for the same problem in the last 8 weeks. The dealer is dragging their heels and has still not replaced the dephaser. I have contacted Renault Customer Services who are not very helpful, other than to suggest taking it to another dealer. I expect the problem to occur again and I shall be taking legal advice regarding the Sale of Goods Act, as I think the car was faulty when I bought it.

Cathy Higgins, West Yorkshire, November 29th 2007

Oasis 5dr

My wife owns a two year old 1.2 litre Renault Modus 'Oasis'. Earlier this year the time came to replace the tyres. No local tyre centre stocked the right type (165/65 R15 81T), so we had to await a special order that took five days before delivery. Even our Renault main dealer could only supply the tyres to order, and at an additional quoted cost of £40 per tyre or £160 for the set. This week, our Modus suffered a puncture. We have been unable to find a new tyre anywhere. We have established that only a couple of tyre makers even supply products suitable for our Renault Modus, and new imports to the UK are not due until three-to-five weeks’ time. This was confirmed by Renault UK’s customer service department, which has otherwise declined to offer any advice or support. The situation beggars belief. I would recommend that any of your readers who own or might buy a Renault Modus should take heed of our experience.

Karl Cradick, Dorset, November 15th 2007

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr [AC] Euro 4

I have owned my Modus for 2 months and have found it excellent,comfortable, easy to drive and very economical. I have found that there is very good all round visibility, especially as the dashboard layout is central therefore giving a better view whilst driving.I especillly love the clear speedometer! The car is very easy to park and manoever . full marks !

A Aiken, Lancs, November 10th 2007

Dynamique 5dr [Euro 4]

Further to my entry on 4th November 2007 about our Modus. I have now sold the car. We had a 4th headlamp bulb go, another trip to the garage (round trip 30 odd miles), they were tremendously generous again and replaced the bulb totally free of charge being aware it was the 4th time. Reading other owners comments I see I have been very fortunate. The question must be asked....Who in Renault UK is monitoring this website and why isn't remedial action being taken over this scandalous issue over headlamp bulbs (and brake assist for that matter)? Renault are promoting futuristic vehicles in an avalanche of publicity but can't get the simple stuff right. The public aren't daft, motoring costs are high enough without £80 or so for a headlamp bulb plus all the other problems.

Andrew French, Herts, November 4th 2007

dCi 86 Dynamique 5dr [AC] Euro 4

We have driven the car for around two days and I prefer it to our face-lifted version of the Mk2 Clio, even though this is not its replacement. It felt very comfortable, the rear seats are much more supportive, it's more flexible and much more spacious, the dash is a nice design, especially the digital instruments, and the style is okay. The engine is especially good; at idle you know it's a diesel, but when you rev it hard while driving you think it's a petrol! However, the stying isn't as cute or sporty as the Clio, although this doesn't have alloys like the Clio has; the steering feels lighter; you cannot see the front at all; the left rear seat belt won't budge; and there's a clicking sound from one of the pedals and some of the plastics feel cheap - nearly as cheap as the Mk 2 Clio, in fact, but then this is French, after all. A very good car overall though.

Christian Galea, Malta, July 11th 2007

dCi 80 Expression 5dr

Im not trying to be negative but I have been disappointed with the Modus. There is no denying that it is a safe car with its five star NCAP rating and mine has six airbags! But it doesn't feel very solid, especially over bumpy roads. However on the motorway it crusies happily, returning good fuel comsuption. On a journey to west Wales it returned nearly 64mpg but in general running around it does about 53mpg. I find the interior a little cheap and cheerful, especially the seat fabrics, and shortly after I purchased it I had the headlight/indicator stalk replaced because I couldnt turn off the headlights! This was done under warranty. I had a headlight bulb blow and, again like other reviewers, couldn't believe I had to take it to a dealer to have it replaced. It cost just under £30 but it was the whole inconvience of having to arrange an afternoon to get it done that hurt. On most cars it would be a quick job at home!! The clutch judders when I pull away in first, which is annoying! My partner drives it and she doesn't have the same trouble. Also if you accelerate from about 30mph in fourth gear you get a deep rumbling from the exhaust which is again annoying. I have had both problems checked out and the dealer can't find anything wrong with the car. So I have had the car nearly two years, done 20k and it's time for it to go. I am trading it in for an Octavia and have found that the Modus also suffers from heavy depreciation.

Grahame Bredbere, Kent, July 11th 2007

dCi 80 Expression 5dr

I bought this car second-hand from a car warehouse in 2005 (54-plate) at a good price with 11,000 miles. Within 50 miles, it had a defect on the ABS - I took car to a local Renault dealer and they repaired it by fitting a complete new front hub free of charge. Later they fitted a new reversing switch for free - now it has done 21,000 miles and has averaged 58mpg. The guarantee period finishes in November 2007, so I hope all goes well thereafter. The car does not like pulling too high a gear below 1500rpm.

Fred Redmond, Herts, June 7th 2007

Maxim 5dr

55 reg. I bought this car in March 2006 with 684 miles on the clock. nice car for a runabout but not really for me. The electric sunroof would not close and mouldings below the steering wheel kept popping out. repaired under warranty but took 3 days!!.This car has room for four people but luggage space-- forget it. The 1.4 engine lacks punch and is very slow away which is surprising for a small car and fair size engine. My wife's V reg Corsa is much quicker. Fuel economy is good, average 40mpg but service cost high at main dealer. The bonnet opening is about 12" wide and like Karina Porto's view, it is impossible to change a light bulb or do anything else under the bonnet except top up the oil and water. I think this car will work out expensive in the long run so I tried to trade it in for a nearly new Mondeo. I paid £9495 for this car and the best I was offered in part-ex was £6500. should it really depreciate that much in a 12 months?? I think I will give up cars and take the bus!!

Trevor Webber, Essex, March 30th 2007

Dynamique 5dr [AC] [Euro 4]

I have owned this car for over 2 and a half yrs now, and have done 15,000 miles in this period, which is not much driving. I have a leaking roof, not the sunroof, but the fabric area on top of the front passenger side was seeping (still under warranty) i took it to the renault dealer i bought it from, who said there was some outlet under the car, that was not meant to be blocked, but was! i keep asking what outlet, as i assume it is not something you can do as an owner i.e. get under the car to clear something that should not have blocked in the first place, he does not let me in on it. But does keep iterating that all this is not covered under warranty, so, he will not do anything about it, even though the top side, where the water was seeping, now shows rust marks; right through to the back. on top of all this, i have a panel over the wheel, which gets water between the paint and the body (which means i get stains showing in the area) got that fixed 8 months back under warranty, and has come out again in a rash. I just wonder, when my warranty end in another few months, how much is all this going to cost me!! The dealer takes the view that he is sorting hte bodyworks, so that is ok, but what if it comes up again? The dealer, who is meant to be thee renault dealer in the area is messing me about. when i come onto this forum again, and i have not been able to resolve the issue, i will add in more information!

a ahmed, March 11th 2007

Maxim 5dr

I agree with most of the general comments about the car. Versatile, comfortable and functional. This is an automatic 1.6 L Maxim. However, I have a problem with the foot-brake. When depressed the pedal goes down 25mm before having any braking effect. I find this disconcerting and dangerous. No car that I have ever driven functioned like this. Three Renault technicians have advised that this is normal!!

ian cook, March 9th 2007

Oasis 5dr

I have had a Modus for about eighteen months. I must say it is the best car I have ever owned. The only problem I have had has been a rattling panaramic sunroof. The car is slightly hard over speedhumps and pot holes but the steering is very responsive. The 1.4 petrol model I have is not the quickest but once it has reached a steady speed it will sit there all day. The car has a nice quality interia which is light and spaceous. I have not had the car serviced yet so I cannot comment on service costs but the day to day running costs are low. I get about 40 miles to each gallon.

PAUL HAYWARD, SUFFOLK, February 12th 2007