Seat Altea Hatchback Owner reviews

TDI CR SE Copa 5dr

ALTEA XL SE COPA 2.0 TDI CR 140 BHP, Just to add abit more to my other post as I've had the car just over 2 months now. Really surprized with the power the engine has for an estate car, it weighs just over 2000kg but once you pass 1st gear it starts to really pick up and over taking is effortless in 3rd gear. Sat-nav, bluetooth, seat media 2.2 touch screen system, 8 speakers (jury still out on the radio) Auto-lights & wipers, day time running lights, had the back seats down for the 1st time to help someone move, massive boot and space, upright driving position, good view, tinted back windows, alarm, c.locking, ideal for a small family, my Opinion is its an estate not a SUV OR MPV, 5 SEATS. SE COPA TRIM loads of goodies.

colin Walkington, Herefordshire, August 11th 2013

TDI CR Ecomotive SE 5dr

We ran a 1.6Tdi SE for 2 years and 60,000 miles. Overall it was a great car! The engine had just enough power, but I would suggest the 2.0Tdi if you can - it tended to run out of puff at times! Mpg was pretty good, averaging late 40's. The seats were excelent and gave really good support and overall ride and handling was also good. A fun car to drive. It is starting to be a little dated now, and some of the interior trim and plastics are not the best when compared with some rivals. Overall, a great little car - certainly worth a look at and a bit different to an Astra or Focus. 10k service intervals were a pain, as we did quite a high mileage. Go for the XL if you need a bit more space - but the XL is not as pretty!

Guy Fairbairn, Cambs, June 7th 2013

TDi Stylance 5dr

Well what can I say... I have had my Altea 13 months now its a 56 plate, it has had great economy I can around 600 miles with a full tank (Diesel), but its been cost after cost. My engine has broken at 48000 miles, just about everything has gone wrong I need a new cam and barings as they worn or heated so much they could of set alight. Clutch fork (snapped), fly wheel (exploded) also because the rivots at the end of the cam exploded out oil pressure was lost and I need 2 new pistons (3+4) and other things too bill currently standing at Β£3000, and still have not got the car yet. Its meant to be a VW, Even though I did not get the car from SEAT they wont even help at all even though I got the car at 22,000 miles a year ago! For what you get car wise is pants stay away from VW cars. But inside the Altea is lush. Its your choice but I really would not go for this car. If only I knew how bad the customer service was and how expensive the cost of repair was I would of gone for something else!!

Daniella Brandys, December 8th 2011

TDi Stylance 5dr

I have had my Altea 6 months now. One day the ESP light came on and wouldnt go back off. Took it to the garage who read the code as brake pressure sender 1 or brake pressure sensor 1. They said it was a hard code that couldnt be cleared and wasnt sure of the exact problem. They recommended taking it to SEAT. Looking at the code online i was extremely worried, some saying it was an asb fault and could cost Β£1400 plus labour! Took it to SEAT who confirmed the code and that this was now a recognised problem with SEATS and that they would pay a percentage. They also said it used to be Β£1400 for the part which was reduced to Β£700 after finding another supplier, and now there is something very new in which they can just repair the part. Any way they have called back saying it will cost around Β£370 inc labour of which SEAT will pay 50% of the cost. They may have covered more but my car has now covered 80k miles and as 2 service stamps not by SEAT. Therefore after the horror stories of Β£1400 i am very relieved to find it wont cost anything near that! Just wanted to share to stop others worrying so much!

Claire Gallagher, Northants, May 3rd 2011

TDi Stylance 5dr

I have the special edition. The handling is very good for a MPV and comes with loads of kit, Bluetooth, leather parking sensors, 17 inch alloys. The servicing by Johnsons of Braintree has been extremely good. I'm very happy with the car and would recommend it to anyone who wanted a sporty MPV that looks good and go well

Angus Evans, Herts, February 20th 2009

TDi Stylance 5dr

Having visited this site regarding a change of car I decided upon a new Altea, the deal was good. While some of the reader reviews rave about volkswagon quality I cannot say that I consider the quality to be on par with the rest of the group for fit and finish. My greatest disappointment with this car has been the economy or should I say lack of it. I find that easy driving within legal speed limits I struggle to get 42mpg. When driven at an indicated 10mph over the National speed limit economy has gone down to 35mpg. I just cannot understand how poor a return I am getting. My last vehicle an Audi A4 avant with roof rails and the 2.0d engine and driving at legal speed limits would give me 50-55 mpg in mixed driving and pushed hard 45mpg.I used to get 36mpg from a Skoda VRS 1.8 Turbo when driven with spirit!! Friends who have had the same engine in VW cars claim to have averaged 45-50 including the Touran!!I find the car rather bland, it just doesn't put a smile on my face.I have found no problems with the visability issue, well okay as others have said reversing in dark places can be interesting with the poor light. The engine I find starts to get 'buzzy' or noisy when cruising at an indicated 10mph above National speed limit and can sometimes leave me with a slight ringing in my ears after many motorway miles. Inside the car it feels a little like a tardis plenty of room but it does come complete with harsh plastic and a dash that rattles when cold.

neil wilson, WARWICKSHIRE, January 17th 2009

TDi Sport 5dr

Company Car 06 plate now done 88K. DSG gearbox is excellent, I am now spoilt for life. The engine has plenty of umph and when you really need it just stick your foot down and it flys. I thought the sports suspension may be too stiff but it has proved to be very good and stops the body roll which you could get with a high driving position. I use the Cruise control all the time, its easy to use, although I did have a problem with an intermitent fault which was evetually traced to a defective wire that was routed behind the dash. Motorway cruising is great although road noise is loud, but then are all cars like this on our motorways? Cabin is good and the front seat is the most comfortable I have ever had. Boot space is ample for a smallish car although not very wide, golf clubs don`t fit. Fuel economy is getting better as it nears 100K, driven well you can easily get 50+ driven hard down to 40 and below. Service intervals are too short at 10K for high mileage drivers. Overall I would recommend this car but treat yourself and go for the DSG.

Neil L, December 20th 2008

TDi Reference Sport 5dr

I bought my 1.9 Reference Sport brand new from DC Cook in Oldham 12 months ago and it's just covered 10K miles. Some of the reasons I looked at this model were that it looks great , it's the right size, very competitively priced , it's solidly engineered and is pretty frugal for a family car.Can't understand the complaints about boot space, it's ample with the false floor removed and yes my family of four has been on holiday in it without a daft roof box. Also haven't noticed a problem with visibily other than the rear view is limited when reversing but aren't all modern family cars like that ? The 1.9 TDi engine is very torquey so has plenty of umph ,especially noticeable on overtaking and on inclines which it manages with ease, is absolutely great at motorway speed but yes is a bit rough at lower revs, especially when reversing which it does with all the finesse of a Chieftan tank. Though the car is perfectly well equiped the interior on the Reference Sport I think does feel a little cheap especially compared to my previous Focus. The dash facia is very flimsy but will be absolutely fine as long as you don't let your kids stick their feet on it. The black cloth seat and door trim does mark easily, doesn't clean easily and after only twelve months I'm not sure how great it'll look in another twelve months but that's understandable when you consider the purchase price of the car ! Overall though it's great value for money and a very enjoyable car to own and drive .

Pete Flanagan, Cheshire, October 12th 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

I've had my Altea for just over two years from new. Generally a good car, but does have a few annoying traits. On the down side, the boot is too small for a family of four, especially on holidays, the rear windows are too high for small children to see out of, and the dash is a bit squeaky at times. We also have problems with the car starting if there is less than a quarter of a tank of fuel in the car due to our drive being on a slope. Its not exactly the North face of the Eiger, and have had the AA out more than once. On the plus side, it drives well,(more fun than our previous Touran), looks better than other MPVs, feels solid, and the interior is immune to the kids. I would recommend this car to anyone, but go for the XL if you have more than one child, or get a Touran.

Stephen Broome, shropshire, October 6th 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

Bought this car new in 2004 after trading in a Seat Toledo Saloon. Terrific car to drive and holds the road brilliantly. Great value for money as much of what you get is an optional extra on most cars. Done 41,000 miles and getting approx 45 mpg. Only one problem - the boot on it is not big enough for me. SEAT dealer W. Livingstone in Uddingston are great to deal with and can't do enough for you (family firm may help explain this). Have agreed trade-in for Altea XL 1.9TDi Stylance as it has bigger boot.

George Brand, Lanarkshire, August 10th 2008

TDI Stylance 5dr

I purchased this car in Jan 2008 with 6000 miles covered. Now in July have just topped 16000. Good points Carries people and stuff really well. Plenty of space for four and room for a fifth if not too large. Kit list is extensive and there is really very little I would add, money no object. The front seats are probably the best I have ever had and a 800 mile round trip to Scotland was carried out with no aches or pains. Can't comment on the rears except my kids seem happy and prefer them to my wife's Picasso. It's also powerful and shrugs off hills. Bad Points Dashboard seems to be infected by a plague of rattles. Dealer DMC in Datchet has tried but so far failed to quell all the little blighters. Still with a 10000 mile service interval we will soon be back for another go! Fuel consumption has settled at about 40/43 mpg well below what I would expect having had a Mondeo which averaged 48mpg under the same circuumstances. Also the speedo over reads by approx 10% (Compared to a sat nav!) which means you always feel you are travelling faster than you are but also may mean fuel consumption is actually even worse. Do not choose a sport pack version. Road noise is overwhelming on UK motorways. Front suspension creaks when cold at start of the day. But never when warm once you have reached the dealer. This may be hard to fix! Only one other problem I would get rid of it (due to rattles and noise) but can't think of anything else that so exactly fits my needs!

Keith Irwin, Berkshire, July 21st 2008

TDi Reference 5dr

I've owned this car for 2 1/2 years and 70,000 and quite simply, i've never owned a more comfortable car. Can spend 10 hours at a time in the car and still arrive fresh. I've had a few problems, like new gearbox, clutch and flywheel at 45,000 miles. I've been told by my excellent mechanic (with 25 years VW experience) that this is a very common problem on all TDI's with the VW Golf Mark V platform. Service intervals at 10,000 miles are a real pain also, but overall it's been a great car and i'm going to be sad to see it go.

Ian McFarlane, July 16th 2008

TDi FR 5dr

Had this car from new, July 2007 and not had any problems with it. Ride feels solid and there's loads of mid-range power so great for overtaking and motorway driving. Didn't find the visibility an issue at all. First Seat service was very reasonable at Β£155. Cabin feels well put together and the steering wheel controls are easy to use. Averaging about 45mpg at the mo after 12,000 miles. Only letting go of it now due to lease car.

Michelle Paul, Herts, July 11th 2008

TDI Stylance 5dr

I bought this new car in may 2008 from Nidd vale seat in Harrogate. Managed to negotiate Β£2000 off the new price (if you dont ask you dont get)and i must say this is a far better car than the Golf )20l fsi) I traded in. Great build quality a huge boot smooth powerful engine (if a little noisy on start up)nice upright seating position and 46 mpg what more could you ask for. Standard Stylance spec includes cruise control,dual zone climate control,rear parking sensor,auto headlights and wipers. loads of storage space in the cabin with nice under seat bins to keep things away from prying eyes. On the road the engine pulls well with a good turn of speed for overtaking ,engine and road noise is well suppressed. And last the one thing i dont like the centre arm rest is to low to use,Seat make a aftermarket one but this is Β£90 but should be fitted as standard. All in all though a very good car which i would recommend anyone thinking of a new car to test drive.

lindsay carter, yorkshire, July 2nd 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

I bought this car in February 2008 from a local Seat dealer. Originally, it was one of their demos. The balance of the full Seat warranty came with the vehicle. My previous car was a 1.6 Grand Scenic. I can't really fault the car to date, although the ignition key took some getting used to. Fuel economy is a lot better than the Renault, and acceleration is fabulous when needed. I recommend the Altea XL to anyone that needs a reliable family car. Forget about the thick A-pillars that house the wipers obscuring your view - you adapt your driving.The critics have to write something to keep their jobs.

walter nelson, June 23rd 2008

Reference Sport 5dr

Just about to trade in my wifes 06 (56) plate only 10k miles 1.6 Reference Sport, bought new with Β£1,500 off list price - we had high hopes for this car after having owned two Ibiza`s old and current model both from new without major issue. Good points with the Altea are good looks, well equiped, plenty of interior space and good handling, not finding sports suspension particularly hard. However now the bad points, under no circumstances purchase the 1.6 petrol engine woefully inadequate in both performance and dire fuel ecconomy. From day one the complex rear seat subframe has rattled, along with the drivers door and various places behind the dash. Part of the heating system located behind the glovebox also emmitts a clicking sound when operating, and we have also been plagued with intermittent poor running when starting fron cold. Hard finish interior plastics are easily marked and the paint on our silver metallic example is rather blotchy in certain lights. In all a dissppointment hence it has to go early usually we change vehicles at 3 years. This could be such a good car with better build and higher quality interior. Finally Seat Dealers and in fact Seat UK - useless. If you must buy get a diesel and I am sure if you get a good one it will serve well - I will stick to Audi and the Altea is to be replaced with a VW.

David Burns, June 11th 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

I bought this car via seat fife dealership and would not to hesitate in recomending them as being very good, the sales rep was excellent , kept me informed of what and where the car was because i requested the leather upgrade the leather was fitted by a local firm , an excellent job, from ordering to picking up 3 weeks i have only had the car for 10 days but so far find the handling,space, and the general appearnce superb, i cannot comment on running costs, but can say that my grandchildren think it is awesome, much better than the 10 year old volvo v40 i had run from new. this is my first diesel car and does take a bit of getting used to, i am particuarly impressed with the underfloor space in the boot, i manage to conceal all my (rather expensive) bird watching kit something the volvo lacked i will write a review after i have put some miles on the clock

graham wood, May 25th 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

My car is a 54-reg with one owner. I've owned this car for just over a week (I bought it privately) and drove from Manchester to Brighton and back. Wow. I also carried out the 40,000-mile service (Β£199 inc VAT from a Seat dealer). One thing I'd query is the cambelt change. My car is approaching four years old and I'm getting conflicting info from Seat. The service manager looked at the updates and said it needed done at five years or 60,000miles, but Seat technical says every four years.

Mark Hewitt, May 14th 2008

TDI Stylance 5dr

Bought the car in November 2007, pre-reg 07 plate with 50 or so miles on the clock. The dealer (Colliers in Acocks Green, Birmingham) was good through the purchase process; not too pushy and gave us a test drive on the day we walked up, even though another customer had one booked. Cannot comment on servicing as we have only done 5000 miles so far. The car itself is a great drive. This is my first diesel and once you get used to using the engine in the right rev range it pulls well, overtaking is no problem at all. Economy is excellent - I have been getting 55mpg+ on motorway runs. Handling is also excellent, particularly as we live in a rural area with lots of winding B roads. Brakes are good, in fact sometimes a bit sharp at low speeds. I agree with some other posts that the interior is a large expanse of hard plastic, but it is well screwed together. The boot on the XL model is a good size - we have a young baby and no problem with fitting pram, plus changing bag, our things etc on trips away. My only complaints would be the reversing light is very poor making the rear parking sensors essential, and the headlights on full beam don't appear to have a great range. Overall though, great drive, good looking car and practical.

Matthew Charles, March 29th 2008

TDi Stylance 5dr

I was told yesterday by a Seat dealer the cambelt change was 60,000 no time limit. About an hour earlier a Audi dealer same 1.9tdi engine told me 85,000 miles no time limit. I also have an email from Audi confirming that. VW and Skoda 4 years or 60,000 miles and a letter from VW confirms their belt change times. The Seat dealer also told me about their 1.4TSI petrol engine the one VW have dropped will it return? They said it had to run on Shell and Shell only petrol cannot remember the grade. So come on "What Car" find out from VAG the facts regarding the cambelts on their group cars and the 1.4TSI engine you recommend but you cannot buy.

Geoff Charlesworth, West Yorkshire, March 14th 2008