TDI CR SE 3dr

Prior to this I had a Fabia 1.9tdi, brilliant! Pulled like a train in all gears from low revs and believe it or not I got 69.7 to the gallon on a motorway run (enforced 50mph limit for miles). I have had my Ibiza for about 6 weeks now, after the Skoda I wanted VW reliability at half the price. Paid £8800 at a year old, when the cost new is £15500. My thoughts so far are: Looks: ugly. Looks great from the front, but the sides & back seem out of proportion. What's going on with the lines of the car? From the front they disappear at some strange angle half way down the back door & the opposite for the lines from the back. I don't get that. Ride: bouncy even on 15" tyres. Interior: slightly claustrophobic after the boxy Skoda. Materials are very plastic round the top of the dash and on the doors. The face of the dash has padded plastic which feels nicer. Acceleration: although it's a 1.6tdi, it has the same brake horse & more torque than the Skoda, but doesn't feel as rapid. It's necessary to change down for rapid acceleration as in fifth, very little happens. There is also the fact that it sounds noisy under hard acceleration with a lot of engine noise protruding into the cabin. However, it feels solid enough with the back doors making a more solid clunk than the Skoda & the boot is considerably larger. Decent radio and stalk controls, but it does need turning up. Little things like cornering lights and better headlights make a difference. But next car will be another Sko

ian killip, cumbria, October 7th 2014

TDI CR FR 5dr

I bought the car two years ago, when it was 20 months old and had done 27,000 miles. The price was just over 60% of the new price, so I avoided the problem of high cost when new. Overall I am very pleased with the car. Performance is strong and roadholding is good. I do not get the claimed 60mpg. 50mpg overall is more like it, although it have seen 67mpg on a slow run. The car has the glass sunroof which is a waste of time. The switches at the gear lever (for heated rear window etc) are poor. The boot is small because the battery is in the spare wheel well. There is a lot of polystyrene packing and you end up with a shallow boot. I think later models are better. The car has been quite reliable. The only problems have been a broken coil spring and a leaking rear washer. The washer was repaired under warranty but it was not done properly. The pipe rubbed on the bodywork and it failed again when just out of warranty. After a lot of arguing, SEAT UK agreed to repair it. The same dealer made a mess of servicing the car (missed out several items). SEAT UK agreed that it was unsatisfactory. After the screenwash failed, I asked SEAT UK what action they were taking with the dealer. They replied that people would eventually stop going to a bad garage but SEAT UK would not do anything. I will probably not buy another SEAT.

Douglas Kent, March 27th 2014

TSI SE 5dr DSG

I have driven the DSG gearbox in many other applications over the years, so choosing this car with the box made sense. The FR bodywork looks smart and the interior, in parts is classy. 215 section tyres generate roar on motorways and the wheels aren't great to clean but do look good. Overall performance is strong, and in normal driving the engine rarely exceeds 2,500 rpm. Even when it does, sound levels are good all the way to the red line and progress is smooth though does tail off in the upper reaches. Renault has recently extracted over 130bhp from a similar engine and this unit certainly feels detuned. Ironically, the DSG gearbox is the weak link. Unlike torque converter automatics, the gearbox will not hold on a hill and the driver must wait for the car to decide whether it is moving or stopping. This results in jerky progress and makes parallel parking on a hill more difficult than it should be. The initial accelerator response is also mushy so pulling onto a roundabout or out of a junction usually results in a delay and surge approach. This is compounded by the engine which seems to have little torque below 1400 rpm. Using S instead of D does solve the problem to a degree but, to ensure economical driving, the driver must remember to shift back. Hardly the point of an auto. Manual shifts are smooth though engine braking is minimal. Rear space is disappointing, though access is good in the 5 door. A spacious boot with reasonably low lip makes loading easy.

Tom Munro, June 28th 2013

TSI FR 3dr

The 1.2 TSI engine is the sweet spot in the Ibiza range. This small 1.2 8v turbo charged engine is rated at 103 BHP but tests on rolling roads have found that the engine generally produces 115-120+ BHP at stock. This translates in to decent performance, I have timed mine at sub 9s 0-60. The engine is very refined, quiet and good to drive with plenty of torque. MPG is also reasonable, mine regularly returns more than 45MPG, and on long trips you can see figures in the low 50's. The handling is decent as the engine is quite light at the front, and the car has loads of grip in corners. The car also has ESP with the VAG XDS system (electronic differential lock) which is fitted to the Golf GTI etc. This system gives better grip when cornering at high speed. Build quality is somewhat improved over the pre-facelift models and the car has a much nicer front end and rear LED lights. The dashboard is also better quality on the new model. The factory fitted bluetooth option is also one of the latest VAG models and works well in the car. Overall very happy with the car and pleased with the performance/economy of the engine.

Peter Farrar, Cheshire, August 7th 2012

Sport 3dr

Follow up since my review in Jan 2011. Owned car 17 months now, 12,000 miles, still think the 1.2TSi unit is a gem, averages about 42mpg mostly urban driving, never had more than 50mpg on a long run and I'm not a boy racer. Some build quality issues, wheel centres with Seat logo corroded and replaced under warranty, as was a front fog light that misted up. Car recently recalled owing to turbo pressure regulator issue (had no problem with mine so far) Also a small bracket that secures a little luggage net in boot came away from mountings. As others say, the radio can be fiddly and I also do not like having to look down to switch heated rear window and heated seats on/off. Would I buy another ? So far yes, great fun, nice gearbox and handling, just build needs improving.

mick shaw, May 10th 2012

TDi FR 3dr

This is my first Seat Ibiza Tdi FR 130 bhp replacing the 1.9Tdi sport 130 bhp I owned for 3 years from new. Had this one 6 years and she has been great. A tad disappointed on tyres at best got 14000 out of fronts-worst 9000 compared to the sport (same size tyres and wheels on 52 plate and got 24000)The front suspension bushes need replacing every 18 months though but I blame the state of the roads and sleeping policemen personally. This car of mine had a towbar fitted from new and tows our dinky caravan beautifully so was gutted when I went to buy a new FR and found that you can fit a towbar because of the exhaust. Cannot believe what a fundemental design flaw this is. A towbar can be fitted to the less powerful diesels but the one thats needed to pull a caravan they can't. So unfortunately its bye bye Seat and hello "S*a" for me. This model on a 55 plate though was wrth every penny and has kept a good residual value of £3300. Still makes me smile when I drop a gear and floor it. She never lets me down.

Gillian Webster, North Somerset, September 3rd 2011

TDi Sport 5dr

This was my 2nd Seat Ibiza TDi but my first 130bhp and boy did she shift I just loved the handling in general but my car always pulled to the left. Never a fault found in the 3 years of ownership. My only gripe-rubber suspension bushes needed sorting on the front every18 months or so. Otherwise one of the best cars I have ever owned

Gillian Webster, North Somerset, September 3rd 2011

Sport 3dr

Just had one of these as a hire car for a weeks holiday in Cornwall and was pleasantly surprised. The ride and handling balance is very good, the stereo sounds great and was well equipped and comfy plus the boot swallowed all our luggage (2 people). Bad points: the climate control was difficult to use, especially at night as all the buttons are flush with each other so cannot rely on touch alone. Similarly the dash instruments could be much clearer - was confusing rev counter for speedo at times. Admittedly I'm used to the speedo on my left and revs on the right but having the revs in x100rpm, no analogue kph reading, a not very attractive type font and dials that rest in the 6 o clock position meant I was got able to read the instruments with a quick glance. Sure this would become better with familiarity. The biggest downfall was the 1.4 engine: pretty gruff when revved (which it needs to be), struggled with the steep Cornish hills and averaged 39mpg according to the computer. I've had Fiesta and Corsa hire cars recently too and much preferred the Ibiza to the Corsa but would need to try the Ibiza with a better engine before declaring it as good as the Feestie.

Alex Campbell, August 15th 2011

TSI Sport 5dr

The only negative I can think about it is that doing 80mph on the motorway and you will get nowhere near the 62mpg that is claimed (hence 4 stars), generally around 40mpg. Though around town getting 45mpg+ is not any trouble especially with the stop-start system. With regards to people being worried about the stop-start system, you will never get it in first gear before the engine kicks back in. Best thing about the car is the way it drives, the 1.2 TSI engine is a lot of fun, makes a nice noise when you put your foot down and has a good bit of poke to it, cornering is up there with the best cars I've driven, and I drive a lot of hire cars with work. It drives as good as if not better than an Audi A1 for a lot less money. Inside you get a decent sized boot which takes a little from the back seats, had a Mazda 2 previously which was a smaller boot but larger back seat room. Radio is a little fiddly but once set up then just stick with the stalk controls as does pretty much everything you need. The seats are comfortable and driving postion is good, the quality of the interior is good and looks decent quality. Overall a great car that's fun to drive without the draw backs of a big expensive engine, low tax and cheap on fuel. Not stunning looking but certainly not ugly either and for significantly less money than equivalent fiestas, A1, Corsa etc a better car to drive.

Danny Farrar, August 8th 2011

TSI SE 3dr

To make it clear, I've had the car for a week so I will not talk about running costs or quality. The car (in terms of fuel usage) is very sensitive and will drink a bit more if you push it - which is, to be honest a lot of fun. At times it's almost irresistible because the 1.2tsi not only accelerates quickly, but also makes a very satisfying engine growl that sounds a lot better than any other car I've driven. In terms of comfort, the suspension is stiffer than on other cars, though not to a point where I would find it annoying. The interior is very sporty looking and the seats are comfortable. I recommend getting the design pack and 16" wheels as the car really does stand out with them. The dash is a lot nicer and the wheels are great looking. Though if you plan on getting a ton of extras, get the sport version instead as it has nicer seats and 17" wheels for not much more than the SE version (the features are cheaper in the Sport version) The panoramic roof is beautiful and photos don't do this car justice. I would recommend seeing and driving this car yourself because words or photos don't do it justice. This is a car that's fun to drive, and it looks great too! Though if I were looking for a car that's comfortable to drive over longer distances I would stay with our Kia Cee'd.

Denis Mcgregor, May 19th 2011

TDI CR Ecomotive SE 3dr

to follow on from my last 2 reviews, i have now dropped my motorway speed to 70 mph. (i was doing 75-78mph before) and am now getting 64mpg.....not as disappointed as previously but still some way short of figures quoted when i was buying the car

mark lawson, west yorkshire, March 19th 2011

TDi Sport 3dr

first of all, torque. there is simply bucket loads of the stuff! 229lbft in a car the size if a garden gnome is fantastically needless but fantastically good fun, second and third gears proving my point extremely well. some owners complain of the poor ride quality and to be perfectly honest it isnt great, however, proper research into buying a car before parting with any cash is common sense and i knew what i was lettig myself in for. i have driven down to bristol from newcastle in my ibiza (640 mile round trip) and i never realised how good a supermini could be on the motorway (80mph in 6th gear = 2100rpm.) it was peaceful, quiet, smooth and comfortable, the seats especially so. i would sum up by saying: forgive the firm ride and go for one of the quicker diesels or petrols. a slow 1.2 ibiza with a hard ride is daft but a genuinely fast 130 bhp tdi with a hard ride is the best car i have ever owned

thomas shiel, tyne and wear, January 24th 2009

Sport 3dr

Owned this car for 3 months now and so far so good. It replaced my wifes Pug 206 so shes the main user.She absolutley loves it,giving it slightly more attention than she does me. Its good to drive with decent handling.The seats are firm but comfy and finding the ideal driving position is easy.Steerings light,making parking a doddle.We got the 17 inch wheels put on which make it look the part but it does get noisy on the motorway with the tyre noise.The boots bigger than I expected but the glovebox doesn't hold too many cd's.It supps a bit more fuel than I thought but it still returns 40mpg. I love the interior with the simple dash.It looks good at night with the white and red backlight.My only gripes are,the radio is a bit awkward for a simple bloke like me and the carpet is a bit thin and lifts when hoovering it,but its a car not a country mansion and for the great price I wasn't expecting Axminster. The main dealer at Warrington was great and so far so good with the car.Definatley recommended.

James Hilton, Lancashire, January 23rd 2009

SX 3dr

Good, I'm very impressed I had a mk3 Ibiza as my first car and this one us a big improvement, great to look at, good to drive, punchy engines and at 48mpg it's fantastic value...great car and highly recommended.

Aaron Brown, Notts, December 23rd 2008

SE 5dr

I saw this car at a local motorshow. Although interior quality isn't upto the new Fiesta's standards, it looks a little bland. Hard plastics all over the dash don't help either. Very easy to get comfortable since the steering wheel adjusts for reach and rake. Average headroom and kneeroom and cabin space was fairly spacious but doesn't compared to the Fiesta. Rear legroom was on par with the Hyundai i10, a car below the supermini class. Boot room was reasonable, it looks bigger in pictures though. All-round visability is good but poor at the rear. The dissapointing thing is that the 1.4 litre petrol has the highest CO2 emissions in its class for a 1400cc displacement. Equipment levels are excellent when compapred to mid-spec Skoda Fabia 2, Ford Fiesta Zetec, Renault Clio Dynamique S, Volkswagen Polo SE, Chevrolet Aveo LS and Vauxhall Corsa SXi etc. I love option and accessory lists so it's nice to know that these are quite lenghty. Prices for options are fair but are expensive for accessories. When piled with options, it works out better value for money to many mainstream rivals. All in all, a comfortable, fairly spacious supermini that offers excellent value for money. Well done SEAT! Now, I'm just waiting for the diesel engine so I can have a test-drive and maybe order one....

K A, Hertfordshire, December 5th 2008

S 3dr

Owned this car for 4 years and mainly use it for an easy commute to work. Nice to drive on the open road but the 1.2 3cyl engine can make the car a bit juddery around town. Main disappointment is that it's broken down 3 times due to ignition coil pack failure and that it failed its MOT at 4yrs/33K miles on several points which needed a few hundred pounds to fix. I was especially dismayed that SEAT UK (whom I called) think it's absolutely fine for things suspension bushes to wear out in that time. Well it's not fine for me and I've crossed Ibiza (and other VAG cars such as Polo and Fabia) off my shopping list now.

Rory Fire, November 27th 2008

TDi Sport 100 3dr

Emotion red 1.9tdi 100bhp sportrider. I love my Ibiza. It's the run out model (may 08) which came with fr front and rear bumpers, fr alloys, cruise control, climate control, sports seats etc all for £10395! It's fast when you need it an example much more torque (180lbs) from 1800rpm in second gear than a fiesta ST which i found out one day! Effortless on the motorway with cruise on, build quality is first rate ive done 12k since may, 10k service was £140. Im very impressed with my first seat and it wont be the last! it also handles very well indeed...10/10

stephen hoggarth, cumbria, November 22nd 2008

TDi FR 3dr

Owned this car from new and in 3½ yrs have clocked up 100k It averages very good MPG,comfortable cruising at national speed limit on motorways and nimble on back roads and in town, albeit a bit on the noisy side. I am still on the original rear tyres even after 100k Seat Assist very helpful when you need it (and cover for 5 years if regular main dealer servicing carried out) On down side, two failures of intercooling pipework joints failing - one replaced under warranty and one not (£135 bill plus hire car but recovery free under Seat Assist) and I have had one front spring snap. However no problems with headlamp fogging. Watch for stone chips as paint on Seat cars is legendary for being thin. Main dealers are the biggest problem - I have tried all local to home and work and they are about as good/bad as each other. Expensive service costs for size of car and £200 to slap a bit of oil in for the oil change service is a prime example of being a little bit greedy. All in all it has a bit of bad but then so does every other car on the road. You get Audi reliability at a reduced cost and residual value is still quite good. I keep a record of costs and this car has cost me 23 pence per mile - that includes depreciation, servicing (main dealer), road tax, tyres, fuel, repairs and a cambelt change. I think that is pretty good.

James Cannom, West Sussex, October 31st 2008

Sport 5dr

Fantastic car!Bought it from Rustys, a Seat main dealer in Scunthorpe, they were brilliant, couldn't do enough. I love driving it. It makes me smile just to look at it.

paul moyes, e. yorks, October 30th 2008

SE 3dr

Ive had my car now for two weeks and i am very impressed after downsizing from a 2-litre Leon.also a very nice car. I really wasnt expecting this cute cars handling and ride to be so good,a revealation after the Leon`s hard sports suspension-very uncomfortable over uneven roads.Must admit i went for the comfort setup,which still gives excellent handling. Interior is simple but modern and well built.Should last well.Lots of kit included as standard . All in all a very goodlooking car thats beautifully built and nice to drive at a very decent price.

roy robinson, avon, September 30th 2008