X

• Overall verdict 5/5
  • What it's like to drive 5/5
  • Running costs 5/5
  • Average MPG 62.4 mpg

This is my Motability vehicle, and one of the key factors for selection was the huge flat boot space which means that a mobility scooter is easily lifted into the load area - a great bonus! I am so impressed with the Leon ST. The vehicle is fitted with the DSG auto gearbox, which is quite simply the smoothest, sweetest gearbox that I have ever experienced and makes for a very comfortable drive. Matched with the 1.6 diesel engine, the car has a great balance of power and economy, with loads of mid-range torque for smooth, safe overtaking. The engine feels more like a 2 litre than a 1.6. The car is very comfortable and pretty quiet and can be driven for prolonged periods without any noticeable fatigue. So far, the car has travelled 3,500 miles with an average m.p.g. of 62.4. On a recent drive from the south coast to Lincolnshire, the average was 70+mpg! At this stage I have experienced no rattles or squeaks and the vehicle seems well put together. My only regret is not having the tech pack fitted (a Β£400 extra option with Motability), which I found out on delivery means that the voice controlled phone facility is not functional.

Wilf Martin, Lincs, October 23rd 2014

• Overall verdict 4/5
  • What it's like to drive 4/5
  • Running costs 4/5
  • Average MPG 40 mpg

I don't often write reviews for cars as I think opinion is subjective. However, this vehicle has left a real impression on me. It's a stylish estate, in fact I havent seen an esate for less than Β£30k that gets close to it. Its got more than enough space and storage without being dowdy and dull. The handling is superb and you'd never know you were driving an estate car (sorry Sports Tourer...) without looking out the back window. The 1.8 tfsi engine is a great little engine, it pulls well and growls nicely when you push it (although I think a sound symposer has a little to do with this). The performance is more than enough for a car of its size and it has often embarrassed people in more expensive and sportier looking vehicles. The interior can look a little sparse unless you opt for the FR level trim with the climate control and so on. Chose your colour wisely too, bright colours make this car look great but the darker colours tend to hide the wonderful details on the bodywork. All in all a great car for families or for those who just need more room without compromising on style and performance.

Oliver Collings, Bucks , July 24th 2014