Skoda Roomster MPV Owner reviews

TDI CR 105 SE Plus 5dr

I hadn’t planned on buying a Roomster. I wanted a new Octavia to replace my wonderful old Silverline. In the showroom however was a Miami Blue Roomster (1.6 TDi SE+) and my wife persuaded me to take one for a test drive. I was all set to find many reasons to dislike the Roomster (and focus on getting back to Octavias) when, contrary to my prejudice, I loved it. Firm road holding, none of the expected roll on cornering and amazing acceleration for a 105 bhp engine. I postponed my purchase to do some research and found positive reviews and safety rating. One more test drive and I was sold, or rather the Roomster was, to me. The ride is smooth and positive. High seat position, great feeling of road presence and I have no concerns at flinging it around narrow country roads because it goes where I point it, even on sharp bends with poor road surface. Easy power transfer through the gears. The SE+ interior is well equipped. Unfamiliar mirror positions but after a few weeks I appreciate the height and better visibility in the Roomster. In the back, big side windows and panoramic sun roof give wonderful views. The only thing I don’t like is the main beam headlights. Not powerful enough for country night-time driving. And the looks ? Now that I’m used to seeing it on the drive I love the quirky curves and high back. It’s such a distinctive shape, other cars now look a little boring by comparison.

CCH Hale, Fife, September 20th 2012

16V Scout 5dr

I bought a Roomster Scout 1.6 16v in Polar Blue at the end of 2007 as a second car to join my 8 year old Octavia which I use mainly for my business. The second car had to be a Skoda and I chose the Roomster over the new Fabia as I prefer the looks of the Roomster and the interior upholstery on the Scout is nicer than the midrange interiors on the Fabia. I can also fit my bike in the back of the Roomster which was a key selling point for me. The car handles impressively well for a tall vehicle. Very good turn in and grip and nice fluid steering - a better driving experience than my Octavia. The only thing that lets that down a little is low down urge from the engine, although it is perfectly capable when you rev it hard. Overall the quality is very good, and although the doors do not quite have the same "hewn out of stone" feeling as the Octavia, the seat fabrics and materials used on the interior are all nice to touch. I would certainly say the Scout model is the pick of the bunch as the exterior changes make the car look much more purposeful and the interior is nicer than the others in the range too. The Scout also comes with ESP as standard. If Skoda update the range with newer TSI and common-rail TDI engines then this car would be nearly perfect!

Ronnie Salter, February 17th 2009

16V Scout 5dr

Hi all i went to Skoda and i was thinking about VW golf 5 as it is in same price range and then i saw the Roomster Scout and i have to tell you i was impresed Skoda made a good process in cars. i think that between the Roomster and the Roomster Scout is a hudge difference the thihg is i was not sure what to decide becouse i got married two years ago and i have young family which requers a lot space luggage space and so on, i am litle suspicious about the engine 1.4 16v but on the other side i dont want to spend moore money as its cost in my country 14700 Euro thats my limit. but overall i think its a decent family car and it comes with full options 16"alloy wheels 205/45 R16 fog lamps and so on.. i like the interior too...so i'd rather go with the fully equept SCOUT than a normal Golf 5 or Octavia ps; and for those who have tested the roomster who are canadians or amreicans plz guyz what do you expect from a small car with 1.4 L engine you drive a minimum 3.5L car but for europeans i think its normal range

alesandar colevski, August 24th 2008

16V 2 5dr

Had this car for 1 day while while my Octavia was in for service not nice to drive wollowed about on corners and the plastics looked univiting I am used to diesel so found it wanting for power below 3500rpm and heavey on fuel could not wait to get back into my Octavia which is far superior see my report on Octavia Estate 04 onwards

kenneth pugh, August 7th 2008

TDI PD Scout 5dr

In a word disappointing. On the road it handles well and has good mid range acceleration. All of the controls are laid out really well and easy to use. The radio/CD/MP3 player is excellent. Interior space is adequate and on par with many hatchbacks but is by no means a substitute for a decent mpv. The rear passengers have good leg and head room and the side windows of a good size. However, the cabin is really claustrophobic. Despite the height adjustable front seats the windscreen appears quite shallow and the side windows are really quite small. Forward and sideways vision is severely reduced and scenic drives are now less enjoyable. Some of my passengers have commented on this fact too. At first I felt quite sick driving this thing but now I am used to it but get zapped by static electricity after every drive instead. The MPG isn’t great either. The published figures are quite good and are partly what attracted me to the car. However, my old landrover often had better mpg around town. Even on a run I count myself lucky to get over 45mpg. This car should and could be so much better. I would love to get my money back but unfortunately am stuck with it now for another 2 years at least.

Duncan Fyfe, Cumbria, May 10th 2008

TDI PD 2 5dr

The surprising thing was that I initially wanted to buy the Nissan Note. I decided to drive the Skoda Roomster as the dealer was the nearest to our home. The salesman was great and helpful, showed us the car and let us drive the route that we knew. My wife, always dubious over MPV-style cars, was smitten by it. We got a great deal, but due to our needs, we brought the 1.4TDi 3, because most of our driving will be town-based. It's our second Skoda - why pay more? Poor Nissan! They need to do a little bit more customer-focused training, because I found the whole experience from our local dealer to be poor and somewhat patronising. When asked - "Skoda Roomster - never heard of it!" Enough said!

Jas Madahar, April 17th 2008

TDI PD 3 5dr

Like another reviewer I was looking to buy an Octavia, liked the weirdness of the Roomster, had a test drive and bought one. Like most other reviewers I like the attention to detail and all of the options. I got them all as I bought the demonstrator. The downside being the light beige interior which is not too practical but as I have no kids or a dog it hasn't suffered too badly, I've had mine for a year now. The diesel engine is a bit noisy but appears to be very flexible and very economical most of my driving is shortish journeys in town and I'm averaging 550 - 580 miles to a tank full (50 litres). My only niggle is the windscreen de-mist, it takes a long while for the engine to warm up, so on frosty days you need to be prepared to run the car on the drive (If you have one) for nearly 10 minutes. Then the screen clears on the LEFT side first, shame it's RIGHT hand drive. Soon sorted with one of those ceramic heaters plugged into the cigar lighter though a bit annoying. Rear screen is conventional electric demist and works very quickly and very well. Long trips on the motorway have been very easy though the higher sides do catch the crosswinds a bit though nothing scary, the seats are very comfy. I've definately become a Skoda convert.

Mike Johnson, Middlesex, February 13th 2008

16V Scout 5dr

Had already checked the Scenic, the CMax and Xsara Picasso when I stepped into a Skoda dealer to check the Roomster. Test drove the 1.4 top trim and went for the 1.6 scout. Looks better,drives better. Compared to the Scenic (original choice), it has more boot room, more head room in every seat and more leg room. Just a bit tighter on the shoulders in the back, but the seat versatility compensates. Cost me 19K Euros for top trim and several extras I wanted (underseat cabinets, shades, alarm, etc). What I got is huge room, nice ride that can be even entertaining at points (owned lancia Delta, FIAT Punto GT), high motorway speeds (can travel at 170 Km/h easily), great climatronic and audio system, good economy (<100 pounds/month), very good quality for class (soft plastic on dash, good cloth on seats, thick carpet everywhere), nothing squeeks inside (owned italian cars), great equipment lev. (front/back windows, 16" alum.wheels, 205/45 tyres, electric/heated mirrors, lots of storage spaces, cooled glove comp.,fog and cornering Xenon lights, ABS, ESP, park sensors, roof rails, dark windows, full reserve wheel, 12v conn, Ipod conn, autoclimate, fully adjust. steering wheel and drivers seat, varioflex in the back, alum. detailed cabin, SUV protectors all around, raised height for easy offroad , graphic disp. trip computer ,tyre press. gauge, low fuel image/sound warning etc.

Alex Politis, February 6th 2008

TDI PD 3 5dr

I owned a new Volkswagen Eos which was a lovely car but I continually had to rely on friends if I wanted to collect anything bigger than an average suitcase. I test drove the Roomster and bought one. My friends wink and giggle behind my back, but if THEY need to collect things, who do they call first? Not the yellow pages!!! The car is very comfortable to drive, loads of flexible space and economical. The full length glass roof gives me all the airiness and light. It has all the gadgets I require e.g. dedicated MP socket, good audio system, cruise control, air conditioning, cooled glove box, variable intermittant windscreen wipers, reverse parking sensors etc. There are some very thoughtful touches. The audio turns softer automatically when you reverse to make the parking sensors more audible. The radio display also shows you graphically how far you are from the rear obstacles. The electric windows can be closed AFTER the car has been switched off, the doors lock automatically after driving off (it may be my South African mentality that finds this important), the seatbelt warning signal sounds when the driver OR the passenger forgot to belt up etc. It just feels that a thinking person designed this little car. And it is small, easily parked, turns on sixpence with masses of loading space, cheap to insure. The 1.9 TDi is gutsy. A modern GREEN car for the thinking person where the badge is not the overriding factor.

Hendrik Botha, Middlesex, January 27th 2008

16V 3 5dr

Initial thoughts were "no way I am buying a delivery van", which is what the Roomster looks like at first. However, the shape definitely grows on you. Give it a bit of time, let the cleverness of the rear seat design, the driving/living room split, all round practicality and most impressive of all, the value for money, sink in and you'll find yourself a Roomster fan!

Dave Navarro, January 24th 2008

TDI PD 80 3 5dr

Just hired one of these on holiday - had booked a 'Focus Size' car from Sixt and approached the desk at Funchal Airport with some trepidation about what would I end up with for the week? Focus, Golf, Megane? I always do this, not sure why it matters. My heart sank when the guy gave me the keys to a Roomster - I pretended not to care and went to find it. Daft thing is, it was love at first sight - wife & kids loved it too, not the sharpest driving machine, but hey. My wife now wants one when we replace her car. I think the Tdi is probably the way to go - however I'd have the 1.9 - the 3cyl 1.4 was very loud and ran out of puff very quickly on any think other than a mole hill. The full length glass roof is a must have too making the car seem funky rather than 'Van with carpet and windows' like a Berlingo. Most people will think it is ugly - which is reason alone to get one.

Derek North, Kent, January 6th 2008

TDI PD 80 3 5dr

Went into the showroom with an Octavia Estate in mind and come out with the Roomster. If you want a well built, solid, and practical car then look no further. Never had a Skoda before, but I am impressed. Once you get over the shape of the Roomster it a great little car. Plenty of room for four adults and luggage, averaging 50mpg. Its not a hotrod and won't break any speed records, but is an enjoyable drive, well worth a test drive, and thats what sold it for me.

Tony Jones, Cheshire, October 25th 2007

16V 2 5dr

I have driven this car for a few days now because my Fabia is getting fixed and overall it is a very good car. The seats are comfortable and a good height. The car seems well built with decent storage space. It also has come in handy as a van to help a relative move house. The only downsides is the 1.4 petrol engine. There is not enough power on the motorway but ok in town. With me being only 5ft3 it is impossible to see any part of the bonnet when you are driving - this may cause problems when parking.

DAVID TAYLOR, August 24th 2007

16V 3 5dr

I purchased this Roomster 3 that is shown in the brochure, which has a light interior and comes in metallic blue. The car has done 1000 miles since we purchased it from new. The handling is very positive and the ride firm. The main gripe was the lack of a head restraint for the rear middle seat, although this is shown in the brochure. There is a three-point seatbelt for this seat. If it had been pointed out to me at the point of sale that it was an extra I would have argued the point. As a three-point seat belt was fitted, it was an invitation to use the seat. With no head restraint the car is only a four-seater.

chris baker, devon, August 1st 2007

16V 2 5dr

i have had my roomster for about 4 months now and its not let me down and doesnt seem like it will do either. the interior is a bit plasticy but it makes up for equipment levels which are very good and all positioned well. driving view is excellent you are a bit higher up than a standard hatchback so views are better and rear passengers are higher up too. the handling can be a bit 'iffy' as you have to take most cornering very slow. the best thing about this car is the fuel consumption. its better than most cars i have driven for a petrol car. at 30mph in 5th gear you will get around 50mpg and even in 5th gear fully loaded it still doesn't struggle to pull. motorway trips are good too around 35/40mpg at 70mph. a full tank costs around Β£55 and i get about 580 miles depending on what i am doing. if you want a practical car this is the one but don't expect super accerlation. theres no power in 1st 2nd gear.

Sean Woolfenden, July 30th 2007

16V 3 5dr

We bought this car for my wife, four children, dogs and anything else the kids decide to bring along. There is lots of space inside and the glass roof gives a sense of roominess. The boot is big enough and the Music and Clima are great. The cabin quality is rubbish. What on earth has happened here? I owned an old style Fabia for four years and the quality of that cabin was so solid and top rate you would be forgiven for thinking you were in an Audi of sort. The Roomster feels so second rate inside. It has a rubbish plastic quality that's just dreadful. The 1.6 engine is okay if a bit boomy.

Kelly Phillips, Tyne and Wear, July 8th 2007

TDI PD Scout 5dr

Six weeks into Roomster ownership and the smile on our faces still lingers. We've covered 2000 miles, including a two-week trip to France and the car has been excellent. The 1.9 diesel engine provides plenty of ooomph, both from a standing start and during motorway cruising. The power is a surprise, mainly for other drivers. Comfort is excellent, the best we found in our long search for a new car. My wife has a long-standing back condition and the support of the seats, plus the height and adjustment, make it perfect. The driving position is also one of the best I've found. Space is, as the car's name suggests, in abundance. Although the interior is not flash, it is simple, well-built and there are enough gadgets to keep us amused. The "Scout" version provides some cosmetic detailing that I think helps the overall look of the car and addresses some of the side and rear view issues. It is a bit of a love-hate car in terms of looks, but for us it was pretty much love at first sight. The only real gripe is the fairly basic CD/radio, but plugging in the MP3 makes more sense anyway. So far, so very, very good.

Paul Groves, Staffordshire, July 5th 2007

TDI PD 80 2 5dr

This car is hard to understand exactly. It has great power in second and third gear but forget the rest. Its handling is good but oversteer is easy to do. Its engine noise is terrible and comfort is just as bad. However there is lots of passenger room in the back and it can easily give the space needed for small van-style use. It has some good hidden travelling gems in the boot space, which are great for camping or long distance trips. Overall the front looks fine - actually, it looks great - but the side and rear decide to cripple this vechicle by making it look so so ugly. It's a fien workhorse of a car, but not much cop for everyday use.

neil Bradshaw, west yorkshire, July 4th 2007