S 5dr

I've owned a 2005 Rexton 2.7 diesel for coming up for a year. In many ways driving it is like going back 20 years to the days of Vauxhall Fronteras or Nissan Terranos in terms of handling (or rather lack of), ride comfort, and noise levels. It doesn't remotely feel like or drive like a modern SUV in other words. Servicing takes some thought too, mainly as independents don't seem to know the vehicle and struggle to diagnose it, so I've had to use the main dealer more than I'd like hence servicing costs haven't been cheap. On the other hand, I bought the Rexton mainly to tow our caravan and boats, and this it does well. There is plenty of space (I think it's probably bigger inside than a Sorento or M Class - the boot really is huge), and if you're prepared to drive around the handling limitations of a big old fashioned 4x4 it makes a great workhorse. However, the real upside of the Rexton is the sheer amount of metal for the money. Mine was a 6 year old reasonably tidy example with under 40,000 miles on the clock, and it cost under Β£5k. Anything remotely comparable as a tow car would have cost 2 or 3 times as much. In terms of running costs, it's doing around 30 to 35mpg, which for the size of the thing isn't bad either. So overall I'd give the Rexton a qualified yes as a used buy.

Tony , July 2nd 2012

SX 5dr [7 Seat]

I own a 2007 series 2 270XDI Auto Great economy, quiet at cruising speed, however this vehicle is let down by poor suspension, front and rear suspension don't "talk" hence and uncomfortable ride on Australias 3rd grade highways. The other disadvantage is the lack of aftermarket equipment and some poor quality fitments, e.g. the fake dash, and half leather wrapped steering wheel. The slightly underpowered engine with only 340nm can be remedied by fitting a chip to increase torque. If the suspension and the power issue can be sorted...It would be fantastic. Big plus is the reasonable service cost todate..ave A$140.00 so far no reliability issues and none are expected. By the way, I did 18 months research before I settled on a Rexton. So far I am happy with the choice.

Ralph duPreez, New South Wales, November 14th 2008

SPR 5dr Tip Auto

I have just taken delivery of a new SsangYong Rexton range topping SPR. This car is unbelievable value for money when you compare it against the competition. It is a well built and quality bit of kit, I live on a farm and needed a replacement for my ageing Trooper. The Rexton fitted the bill perfectly with a powerful engine, nice interior (as good as the ML) , a a good 4 wheel drive system. My neigbours were really suprised by my choice but since seeing the car they are in agreement it really is great value for money. SsangYong seems to be one of those hidden gems, if you are looking for a great 4x4 at a great price I suggest you have a look at one.

James Colroy, November 12th 2008

SX 5drTip Auto [186]

Basically a re-hash of the original Mercedes Benz M-Class. The Rexton II uses the Merc engine and auto box, which feel competent but not spectacular. The ride is good, with such a large vehicle demonstrating the holy grail of big 4x4's - next to no body roll when cornering hard. For the Β£22k price tag, you do get a impressive amount of kit - leather seats, electric sunroof and windows, front and side air bags, semi-automatic gearbox, tinted windows, electric front seats, the list goes on and on. However (isn't there always!), the quality level of all this kit throughout the car is not uniform. Additionally, the steering doesn't inspire much confidence due to it's heavily power assisted nature. At times I began to wonder if the wheel in my hands was attached to the front wheels on the road. Don't get me wrong, the Rexton is far from the worst car in the world, it's just it's going to suffer severe badge imaging due to it's manufacturer - Ssangyong, in much the same way Lada and Skoda were ridiculed and derided by the media and public alike in the late seventies and early eighties.

Stuart Tidman, Warwickshire, April 24th 2008

SE 5dr

Having driven nothing but 4x4s for the last 20years I just had to write my own review on owning a Rexton for the last 3 years. First and formost this car has not put one foot wrong since the day I bought it, to me this totally defines a "good car". Yes, the servicing is expensive but not in the same league as my last two Range Rovers,that is not including the repairs or loss of earnings when the best 4x4 in the world refuses to start two miles from the nearest paved road. I have driven across europe and around the doors being totally impressed with its relaxed style the Rexton seems to offer.

Angelo Theodorakis, Tyne & Wear, March 24th 2008

SE 5dr

You'd better take your money and burn it as this will give you more pleasure than owning a Korando or any SSangyong vehicle. My SSangyong/Daewoo has now blown the head gasket again and probly warped the head, the garage it was taken to have tried to find out the cost of a gasket set and was told by a local SSangyong dealer that he will try to but he'll have to phone Europe as England HQ are so USELESS, 3weeks now and no answer, so it’s now going for scrap. In short during it’s 7 years it's had two new stixs units, suspension problems, engine rebuilt at 20k, alternator, aircon pump, front pulley's as they just fell off, a fly wheel, head gaskets, two oil pressure switches, water pump, turbo charger, more light bulbs than Halfords, 15-20 fuses, prop shaft, electric window motor, indicator switch unit, this is just the things that I can remember, not to mention the 5 times it's been low loaded back to Daewoo, SSangyong Chevy dealers who don't give a CR*% about the customer.I had to take it back four times to one dealer because they had not touched my car when it had meant to have been serviced and broken parts replaced. I was lied to by three separate dealers that where told that I was now using them as the previous dealer/s had lied when they had said they had serviced my car. The servicing was so bad that I marked all the nuts/ serviceable parts with a green marker pen to see if they’d been moved /replaced as per the service schedule. So good riddance SSangyong forever.

Craig Hughes, Berkshire, January 7th 2008

Xdi SX7 5dr

We purchased two Rextons in April 2006 - each engine in both cars has blown up - each vehicle has been serviced every six months at an average cost of Β£450 - The first car was fixed within warranty by NMG motors Norfolk, but was off the road for six weeks whilst waiting for spare parts - NMG and SSangyoung did not provide a loan vehicle so we hire a vehicle which cost us over Β£1500. The second vehicles engine has now blown up and SSyangyoung and NMG refuse to fix it, landing us with a Β£10,300 bill for the repair. Their argument is that the vehicle, which has done 40K, should have been serviced every 6000 miles or every 7 weeks weeks at an average cost of Β£450 This is not what the salesman told us - he told us to service every six months, which we already thought was high and this is what we have done. The second vehicle, which is now an effective right-off after 14 months, is sitting at NMG - Wait for it - We received back the first vehicle with a new engine - I took it to a car wash and in the process the rear spoiler got caught, the window smashed and the spoiler damaged - the vehicle waited 4 WEEKS for a replacement rear window and is currently still with the garage for a further 3 weeks waiting for a spoiler part. Luckily this time the insurance is paying for a car.

Tamlyn Thompson, October 26th 2007

SX 5dr [7 Seat]

I have been driving the Rexton for the past 6 weeks as a courtesy car while my own Nissan Pathfinder has been under repair. The Rexton is quieter, smoother and more car like to drive than the Pathfinder. It has a slicker gearbox, lighter steering and pedals and handles slightly better than the Pathfinder. It also has nearly as much room in the boot. Despite these attributes, I still prefer the Pathfinder, mainly because the Rexton is so frustrating to drive due to turbo lag. The engine always feels like it is doing 1000rpm more than the rev counter shows and unless it is kept above 2000rpm, progress is very slow. I have been caught out several times pulling away from junctions when the lack of initial progress is almost dangerous. There are also a host of niggling faults such as wind noise from a poorly fitting drivers door, various trim rattles and a faulty stereo. Needless to say I am looking forwards to the return of my Nissan.

David Aldington, May 7th 2007

Xdi SE7 5dr

So what do we look for in a car in this range. As most cars drop around 45% in the first three years why pay over the odds for a badge, especially one where the build quality has been suspect or the product grossly over-priced. We now have 4 of these Rextons including 2 SE7 versions [Two are Auto and Two are manual]. Cost considerations give rise to serious decisions on finances. So why lose 55% on other makes when the Rexton represents such good value for money. We have no reliability issues, build quality is on a par with other makes we investigated including BMW and Mercedes and is streets ahead of the terrible Freelander. Indeed one of our guys has given up his Range Rover because of the mounting repair bills. Its looks good, stands out amongst the pack and is extremly well kitted out for the money. Ok they won't be worth a lot of money in 3 years time but HEY we did not pay top dollar in the first place. Well done to SSangyong. It's time some of the Hacks got off their backs and started to appreciate value for money instead of a Badge.

John O'Meara, Lanarkshire, October 25th 2006

Xdi SE7 5dr

I had been looking to buy a 4x4, and checked out the Mitsubishi Pajero (Shogun), Land Rover Discovery, Toyota Prado (Landcruiser) and Subaru Outback before choosing the Ssangyong Rexton. I found the Rexton came out tops for on-road handling, off-road performance and excellent interior finish, along with stylish looks, very good fuel economy and the best price. Sure, the Disco may be the best off-road, and the Outback on-road, but I found the Rexton to be the best all-rounder. Offroad, I have done some beach work and muddy river beds, and when the going got rough, low-range was the answer. My confidence is building the more off-roading I do. I did an 1800km trip to Perth and felt refreshed at the end of the journey. Cruise control takes the monotony out of driving, and the excellent sound system helped pass the 19 hours on the road. Fuel economy was very good, around 9-10 ltres/100kms, and that's with air-con on all the way, and sitting at around 120km/hr. There was no trouble overtaking four-trailer trucks, as there's plenty of power from the 2.7-litre turbodiesel. The Rexton is as good a vehicle on- and off-road as the others mentioned before (and better than some), but at a more than reasonable price - some $15-20,000 cheaper than Prado and Discovery. If you're not planning a trip across the Kalahari, nor feel like spending $70,000, I don't think you can do much better than a Rexton, and would certainly recommend anyone to test-drive it.

Tim Pryce, March 12th 2006

Xdi SX 5dr

What a vehicle! It has everything anyone would ever want from a 4x4 - it's comfortable, smooth, quiet, and roomy. Before I bought it everyone I spoke to said 'What?', but now they all say 'Wow!'. I play golf with the head salesman at a local Vauxhall garage, and he commented '...glad to see that you have been sensible by buying the vehicle NOT the badge...'. I have the Auto version with steptronic/tiptronic box. It's just as good as my last BMW, and returns 28.5mpg knocking around and 32mpg on a motorway run. I love the 2W/4W/ 4W low gearbox settings which was great over the past two weeks of snow and ice. It never put a foot wrong, no matter the conditions. Downsides? Well, the brakes do feel a little 'soft' but, once used to the mechanism, there's never been any real problem.

George Smith, Shropshire, January 2nd 2006

SE 7 Seat 5dr

I bought this car in Malaysia, Kuala lumpur since October 2003. Having owned it for more than 2 years now. It has been a great ride ever since. I've owned and driven SUVs like Cherokee, Freelander etc. Nothing give me as much pleasure while driveng the Rexton. Even though it is already 2 years old, it is still a head turner and is definitely looks fresh on the road too. Not many makes and models comes close to the attention given to this car of the same Price range. Interior is luxurious and comfortable on long journey of not less than 800KM which I often take. Offroad capability is excellent with the in car one touch converter. Exterior is still gleaming after all these years. If you are looking for a reasonable SUV with great interior and outlooks plus Comfort, Roomy and Price to match... this is the car to go for. Critical reviewers are usually Non Owners and is also usually comparing with cars that are beyond affordable. I'am a happy Malaysian owner. Cheers!

Melvin Lee, December 15th 2005

SE 7 Seat 5dr

Just bought the car here in the Chiriqui Province of Panama. It is really suited to the unimproved rough roads in this rural area.

Rich Young, October 22nd 2005

S 5dr

The Rexton is really number one.

maria isabel cruz mary, philippines, August 1st 2005

SX 7 Seat 5dr Tip Auto

I bought this car in February 2005. Before that I had three Land Rover Discovery V8's, with nothing but problems - overheating engines,collapsing air suspensions and others too numerous to mention. This car however has given me no problems at all so far. I have been off road many times,with no hassles whatsoever.It doesn't rattle or squeak (unlike the Land rovers)and handles everything well. It is my best buy in years!

dany duprez, June 14th 2005

SE 5dr

I purchased this vehicle at the end of August 2004. Sadly though, as much as I love the car, I have had many problems with it including the immobiliser ceasing to work, a wire breaking causing the car to stop and not start again, and it has also been in four times since January 2005 for the brakes! After complaining to the dealership about these problems, and being told they were minor faults and teething problems, we are now waiting to hear if they are going to exchange the vehicle.

Shula Larton, Dorset, May 16th 2005

SE 7 Seat 5dr

Having first seen this vehicle on the motorway and wondering what it was, I took the time and trouble to find out about it, and now I am glad I did. I was so impressed that I went out and bought one. Since taking delivery, the fuel consumption has really suprised me with an average return of 34mpg. Although I do tend to agree with some of the other reviews where the ride can be a bit hard, overall I'm very pleased and would recommend one to anyone, especially to anyone with a young family.

richard morris, March 30th 2005

Xdi SX7 5dr

I concur entirely with Clive Chouls, Alicante. I first set eyes on this vehicle in Calpe, Spain, in May last year and fell in love with its looks and styling. After considerable research and test drives of this and other comparables, I bought mine in August. I have not been disappointed in any way with this car, other than the slightly harsh feedback through the suspension caused by the minor road-surface imperfections at low speed. Steering is a tad wallowy. However, I can quite easily live with these points being the only negatives considering the positives. It has reasonable fuel consumption and performance for a big lump of a vehicle. Great looks (a real head-turner) as is borne out by the considerable amount of interest shown by other motorists both stopping me in the street ("What is it?") while parked or even at traffic lights. It has a great cab layout, it's stylish and very roomy too. It has been marked down in magazine reviews for having cheap-looking plastics. I don't think they look any worse than the fake wood in models from Mercedes, Toyota, Mitsubishi etc. Best of all is the true off-road ability - it does work off road, not just as a school runner or fashion accessory! I love the individuality, there aren't a lot around... yet. As suggested in another owner's review, don't dismiss this car out of hand. Try it first! It is fantastic value for money, and looks and acts the part very well.

Richard Bateman, Lancashire, March 19th 2005

S 5dr

It is very comfortable and roomy, most passengers comment on the rear legroom. The engine has plenty of power being a 165bhp diesel, at 70mph in 5th it is just over 2000 revs and is quiet and very relaxing, the acceleration after 70mph is quite amazing. The top speed is 110mph, which is a little academic on our roads. The turbocharger can become obtrusive when "gunning" the engine on quick acceleration, but it has considerable acceleration for a two-tonne vehicle, 0-60 in under 13 secs. I have an automatic and it is a delight when towing. It appears to use diesel at the rate of about 30 mpg, slightly less when towing, less if driving very quickly. If I have a criticism it is the suspension at low speed, it feels road humps like boulders. The cabin is pleasing to the eye and it has a host of safety features, with multiple airbags, front and sides (6), adjustable steering height, submarine seat tensioners, ABS/EBD (stability Traction Control), climate control air-con, cruise control, CD, Electric windows and alloy wheels, very comfortable leather seats and with a Mercedes based engine and Tip-tronic auto gearbox I have the best of both worlds. There are no sqeaks and rattles and it seems to have been put together well. It has a "presence" on the road and usually gets a few sightseers when parked. I have discovered the joy of driving again with this vehicle.

Clive Chouls, Alicante, January 29th 2005

S 5dr

It's lovely to look at and roomy inside. I have had one problem - with the gear box, which has crunched in to gears since new. The garage I took it to has not been able to sort out the problem.

kevin leddington, gwent, January 11th 2005