Ssangyong Rodius MPV Owner reviews

ES 5dr

Had the 2.7ES for nearly 12 months now, before that had the Chrysler Voyager. I and the 5 boys do not find the drive hard as described in the review by What Car?, in fact its very smooth. However it is nosier a ride than I would like but its half the price and inside twice the room. If driven at a steady 70mph on the motorway it gives a very good return on the diesel, I went all the way from Worcester to Brixham last week on just over a quarter of a tank of diesel. It also handles like a car half its size and the Mercedes 2.7l Diesel engine has some serious umph for over taking fully loaded. Equipment cant be faulted for the price however a Cruise option on the manual gearbox should have been included. Overall for the money a very good car if a bit ugly.

Gary Beesley, July 13th 2011

SX 5dr Tip Auto

"I think that there are more MPV's that can be more pretty like the Toyota Verso, my relitives have one (I mean the Verso) and they are great so the Ssangyong does not do it for me.

A R, Wilkshire, December 7th 2008

ES 5dr

I drove this car with two adults and 5 children aged between 9 months and 15 years old from Surrey to Devon for a two week holiday. The car easily took all of our luggage, including all of the equipment required for the baby. I was very surprised at the efficiency of the engine even carrying all of the passengers and luggage. When we arrived in Devon it was great to be able to transport all of the kids in one vehicle and not have to use two as we had originally planned.

Joseph Paine, November 12th 2008

S 5dr

I really do not understand why there are so many negative comments about the SsangYong Rodius. I have now owned a 270S for 7 months now and can honestly say it is the most practical vehicle I have ever owned. Where else can you get a comfortable 7 seat MPV with great boot space as well, all for under Β£15,000. My children love travelling in the car on long journeys and I also enjoy driving it. Last month we drove to the south of france 2 adults and 4 children plus luggage and it was perfect.

James Colroy, November 11th 2008

S 5dr

Loads Of Room Thats About The Only Good Point On A Rodius. Fuel Economy, it may be cheaper to run a 747. A Noisy oil consuming brut of and engine Engine oil approx. 1ltr every 1000 miles. took 4 fills of engine oil before first service. Ssangyong replaced short block. Engine oil still 1 ltr every 1000 miles approx. Ssangyong say they allow 1 ltr every 1000 miles or 0.8ltr/1000 kms it's nearly cheaper to put fuel in than engine oil. they reckon any car will use engine oil, Eh? how does a manufacturer get away with making engines like, emission tax is not enough on these cars, in my opinion road tax should be Β£500 for every 1000 kms Ah, The suspension thats another novel. I'm so sorry i purchased one of these cars.

John Mc Quillan, Down, October 3rd 2008

EX 5dr Tip Auto

my initial reaction when i first was urgh, id love to know what the designer was thinking of. maybe he found something at the bottom of his old car, but styling is down to personal oppinion and to me as cars go, its a rite dog ! to drive no ones expecting a good drive out of this, and by lord you dont get one it leans in the corners pretty badly and the car likes to give you an idea on what the tyres are experiencing, by riding like you personally are on them it has a rock hard ride the car is desperatley underpowerd from a noisy engine which ssangyong proudly boast is from mercedes which i believe was used in the old e class, but there is a huge difference between the two. like the rodius weighs probably twice as much as much as an e class the interior like the exterior in my view is as bad to look as the exterior. added to that the plastics are as hard as they come, but on the plus side it feels sturdy, you also cant fault the versatility which is frankly excellent almost makes up 4 the look of the thing fuel economy overall id rate as below average as i achieved 25mpg overall thank god i didnt buy one id much reccoment the new chrysler grand voyager its certainly better and rides better atleast

Dominic Tomalin, Northamptonshire, September 9th 2008

S 5dr

You'd better take your money and burn it as this will give you more pleasure than owning a Korando or any SSangyong vehicle. My SSangyong/Daewoo has now blown the head gasket again and probly warped the head, the garage it was taken to have tried to find out the cost of a gasket set and was told by a local SSangyong dealer that he will try to but he'll have to phone Europe as England HQ are so USELESS, 3weeks now and no answer, so it’s now going for scrap. In short during it’s 7 years it's had two new stixs units, suspension problems, engine rebuilt at 20k, alternator, aircon pump, front pulley's as they just fell off, a fly wheel, head gaskets, two oil pressure switches, water pump, turbo charger, more light bulbs than Halfords, 15-20 fuses, prop shaft, electric window motor, indicator switch unit, this is just the things that I can remember, not to mention the 5 times it's been low loaded back to Daewoo, SSangyong Chevy dealers who don't give a CR*% about the customer.I had to take it back four times to one dealer because they had not touched my car when it had meant to have been serviced and broken parts replaced. I was lied to by three separate dealers that where told that I was now using them as the previous dealer/s had lied when they had said they had serviced my car. The servicing was so bad that I marked all the nuts/ serviceable parts with a green marker pen to see if they’d been moved /replaced as per the service schedule. So good riddance SSangyong forever.

Craig Hughes, Berkshire, January 7th 2008

SX 5dr Tip Auto

We purchased two Ssangyong Rexton II SX in April 2006 - each engine in both cars has blown up - each vehicle has been serviced every six months at an average cost of Β£450 - The first car was fixed within warranty by but was off the road for six weeks whilst waiting for spare parts no loan vehicle was provided we hire a vehicle which cost us over Β£1500. The second vehicles engine has now blown up and SSyangyoung and dealer refuse to fix it landing us with a Β£10,300 bill for the repair. Their argument is that the vehicle which has done 40K should have been serviced every 6000 miles or every 7 weeks weeks with our mileage at an average cost of Β£450 This is not what the salesman told us - he told us to service every six months, which we already thought was high and this is what we have done. The second vehicle which is now an effective right-off after 14 months is sitting at dealer - We have pleaded to SSangyong UK and they refuse to take responsibility for the engine blowing up. Be very careful if you are considering purchasing this vehicle - We can only regret our decision - ssyangyong rexton nightmare.

T Thompson, November 11th 2007

SX 5dr Tip Auto

Amazed at the space, comfort and economy of this 2005 beast. Got it mainly as a working vehicle and it has now replaced my old beamer and sprinter van in one go and is all we need for our antiques biz. The auto gear box and gadgetry is fab and I bought this because of the alleged mercedes input, all my friends are impressed and nobody has laughed at me once despite it's wierdness, you must admit it is strange, but inside the world feels great but I avoid looking at myself in shop windows. I am very pleased , but mainly because I bought it from a bankruptcy sale for a third of the new price.

roy priest, s yorks, October 29th 2007

SX 5dr Tip Auto

We are a family of seven, including three pony-mad daughters. At the moment we are running a Chrysler Grand Voyager and a Nissan Pathfinder. We need the Voyager for its space when we travel as a family and the 4WD of the Voyager to pull the pony trailer to gymkhanas and lessons. They are both good cars but I had been contemplating going for a Discovery 3 HSE to replace the Voyager and the Pathfinder, which would allow me to have a more sensible car for motorway use for work. But my wife was simply not happy with the lack of boot space with seven seats in place. Last weekend we stumbled upon the Rodius SX with four-wheel drive and complete with low box and off road tyres. On the face of it, the perfect vehicle for our family! We promptly took a demonstrator out for a drive and I found refinement better than the Voyager (less engine noise), driving dynamics on a par with the voyager and even greater and more flexible interior space. The best news is that after discount, but with DVD player and towbar, it's around 22K, which is just two-thirds of the price of the Grand Voyager. Downsides: the interior finish of dash plastics and clunk of the doors is not as nice as the Voyager but I can live with it to save Β£10K and get 4WD.

peter Clark, Notts, September 7th 2007

S 5dr

Like others who have submitted their favourable views here, I too am very happy with the purchase of my new Rodius S Model. Indeed, the 'WhatCar' verdict, I feel, is most unwarrented. The local village Ssangyong dealer was a pleasure to deal with contrary with the high pressure sales at the branded dealership. The Rodius is a pleasure to drive and with the reasonable priced tag, I could even add the extras, like DVD, privacy glass and alloy wheels. The two most suprising elements whilst purchasing my Rodius was the fuel consumption compared to my old 1.8 petrol vehicle was at par or marginally better and the insurance was almost the same price as my previous smaller and much older car. The Cabin is perfect for our needs and this was the most powerful strenght that finalised our choice. My only doubt is the reverse parking sensor that did not work as should on a rainy deal but I shall wait before I rate this as negative since I have only had the Rodius for a few days now. I would recommend this model to anyone wanting a reasonably priced car with the same features as other well known MPVs.

Mohamed Bakar, Bucks, May 30th 2007

S 5dr

I bought the SSangyong Rodius SX during the month of february 2007 and got delivery of the car in March 2007. I checked out the reviews on the What Car web site after I had bought the car and began to question if I had made a costly and foolish mistake but the opinions of others may be narrow minded self opinionated and downright rubbish from so called car experts. I have been amazed at the interior size and loads of room that this car has and its quality of doing a job that I want it to do .There is loads of luggage space at the back of the car and seating space is not compromised also it has many qualities that you dont find in other people carriers . As a foster carer and carer to both my elderly parents it is a brilliant vehicle. My wife and I have been seeking to buy a people carrier for six years but could not find one with luggage space at the back of the vehicle ,but we have found one now with all the extras at a realistic price and fantastic after care service from our local Verve dealer in Hurlford Kilmarnock Ayrshire Scotland . Take a test drive and make up your own mind and see if it meets your own needs and demands .

Harry Dearie, Ayrshire, March 23rd 2007

S 5dr

I recently purchased a new S model with Leather upholstery, DVD player, metallic paint and privacy glass rear windows, for an all in price that compares with no other MPV. After reading the WhatCar expert reviews I was a little concerned, I knew of two families at our local primary school who had a Rodius, I asked them for a critical reference, the first said β€œit’s bl**dy fabulous, we love it etc etc” the second was of the same opinion. I took a leap of faith and made the purchase and I am delighted. I have owned or driven the Galaxy, Espace, Previa, Zafira and Voyager, they all have relative strengths and weaknesses including the Rodius, but the Rodius certainly hold its own against the key performance criteria, and definitely beats all of the above for value and space. I’m surprised and suspicious that WhatCar has given such a poor rating for the Rodius. My advice to anyone interested in purchasing a Rodius is get personal references from friends, family or acquaintances, I dare you to find a disappointed owner.

khalid thabeth, antrim, January 17th 2007

SX 5dr Tip Auto

My wife and I are foster carers and have a child of our own, but our current foster children were outgrewing our Volvo 850 7 seater. So we looked for a MPV, the Galaxy was ruled out as they make me sick when I ride in them, the C8 was never even considered so we looked at a Toyota Previa. But we could not get a diesel automatic and access wasn't so good. Then we saw the Rodius. We fell in love with the space, (swallowed 6 people and their luggage for a two week holiday in the US with ease), the pace and it does look a lot better in the flesh than on paper. We got ours on December 23rd and it now has 8300 miles on the clock, is returning on average 32 mpg, is still as solid and rattle free as the day we picked it up, despite the antics of 4 kids. It is a little wallowy to drive, but when you load it up it becomes a lot better. The plastics and leather are holding up well. The kids all love the space and the height of the vehicle means they can see everything. The specification is great,climate control, cruise, sunroof, leather, alloys. All the controls are very easy to use (espeically the motorsied folding wing mirrors!) but the view out of the back window is dismal. The performance has got better as the engine has loosened, the engine really goes when you put your foot down and the five speed autbox is good, the tiptronic is excellent. So, all in all, I am very happy with mine and very glad that I ignored all the "expert" reviews and tested one.

Rob Laycock, Cambridgeshire, August 27th 2006

S 5dr

Having a family of 6 presents a problem, Thus the challange was on to find a new vehicle.. Enter the Ssangyong ( Rodius ) Stavic in Australia. 2.7 Turbo Diesle, Rear Wheel Drive, Automatic, Dual Climate Control, Heated Rear Door Mirrors Good Easy Dash Layout with controls on the Steering Wheel, 4 Doors that Open outward and do not slide, Plenty of space in the passenger compartment and rear luggage compartment with the middle and rear seats moved forward plenty of room for Pram Travel Cot Suit Cases Toys etc. The additional power outlets are good for DVD player, Mobile phone kits etc. The turning circle on the vehicle is good. Poorer points hard to see out the back ( Reversing Camera and screen fixed that problem ) Firm suspension as it was tuned by Lotus Only 2 anchor points for child seats thae are in the front of the rear seat on the floor need to be more.The vehicle is large and comfortable to drive The pick up of the vehicle is good. Typical Mercedes Auto transmission with tip tronic the vehicle has cruise control. We have had our Rodius / Stavic for 6 weeks and are happy with the vehicle. the price tag. Most say that the design is a little strange Not Ugly but different but can see the practacality of having a North South Motor and Rear Wheel Drive. as opposed to an East West Engine with front Wheel drive. Towing unbraked at 750 Kg and 2 Tonne braked make the vehicle fantastic.

Ian Cunningham, July 18th 2006

S 5dr

I was fortunate enough to get my hands on this monster for two days from my local dealer. Firstly it’s big, massive, more than big enough for seven in comfort with plenty of legroom. The finish is pretty good and it feels quite robust, and I disagree with the formal review regarding the noise, its not whisper quite but you don’t get that for 19k, but you don’t have to shout! The engine is well proven in the Rexton (come to that the Rodius has been around overseas for over a year) and has plenty of power to spare. I’m not mad keen on the auto gearbox only and I can’t quite figure why I have to have leather seats and a sunroof just to get smoked windows but with luck Ssangyong will sort this out over time. The controls are easy to use and well laid out with at least 3 power points for game boys etc. The versatility of the seating makes it great for long journeys, rear climate control for the passengers is an added bonus and there is a boot easily big enough for most families’ suitcases. Overall 4 stars as you don’t get 5 for Β£18,999 but what you do get is a good vehicle with a reliable engine that won’t cost the earth to run. Finally I am glad that Ssangyong have now got rid of the bell’s that remind you to fasten your seatbelt etc. This has been replaced with a more β€˜Hitchhikers Guide’ type hum, though the car doesn’t say β€˜Thank you for driving with Ssangyong, share and enjoy,’ yet!

Simon Mansell, Cornwall, June 20th 2005