WRX STi Type UK 4dr

Currently own a 2007 Impreza WRX. Great drivers' car but I had to replace the rear shock absorbers recently because one had seized (on a 17,000 mile car? hmmm). Cost to obtain a replacement part from a Subaru dealer - Β£450 each!! and part is only available from a Subaru dealer, there's no aftermarket part available because Subaru hasn't or won't supply independent parts suppliers which is illegal. At these parts prices I won't buy another one. So much for supposed bullet-proof reliability.

Robert Macnab, Devon, February 25th 2011

WRX AWD Turbo 4dr

I bought my impreza just 2 months ago second hand (55 plate) and am blown away...i just love driving it, the performance is astounding with phenominal road holding and breath taking speed. Its also practical, even has cup holders for the kids! On the advice of a subaru mechanic friend i bought the wrx instead of the sti, the differance in performance is not worth the extra cost for the sti, which is a fraction of a second on 0 - 60 and about 5 mile per hour extra top speed! If your considering geting one then go get one! You will not regret it!!

MARK WILSON, NORTHUMBERLAND, January 10th 2009

WRX STi Spec D 4dr

I've owned this car for 3 months following the sale of '04 2.0 WRX. It is noticable how much more power there is available low down the rev range on the 2.5 STi than the 2.0 WRX, but the downside to this is the dramatic reduction in economy. 2.0 WRX would achieve 30mpg on a run and 2.5 STi barely 25mpg. Also the 2.5 sits in the group M tax band pushing the yearly cost to a massive Β£400. Just had major 50k service and came in at Β£400, at Cutlers Subaru, which I thought was very reasonable. The D spec tones down the exterior and adds leather and smart nav inside. Apart from the subtle STi stamp on the exhaust and wheels there are no other clues to the cars potential, and generally goes unnoticed, which I prefer. It's a shame that Subaru didn't add a sunroof as standard though. If you can handle the fuel and tax costs, you can't beat the Impreza as an everyday performance saloon. The acceleration is addictive and even makes the latest hot hatches feel sluggish. The 6 speed box in the 2.5 is a big advantage over the 2.0 for motorway cruising as the engine revs and noise are kept low.

Robert James, October 24th 2008

WRX 4dr

This car is a legend with good reason. It's the second Scooby I have owned, and performance is absolutely mind-blowing. Everytime you drive it, you grin like a Cheshire cat. I have owned this last one for six months and have just part-exchanged it for an Audi A3 diesel sport. Don't buy this car on a whim - it will cost you dear. 20mpg is realistic and at Β£1.10 a litre... you get the picture. Servicing is also expenisive, although this car is bullet-proof. Think of the WRX as a gorgeous girlfriend you start dating only to find three months later she is irritating, then three months later you're thinking how to drop her...

Matthew Flinders, April 28th 2008

WRX AWD Turbo 4dr

Ive had my 04 Scoob Impreza 2.0 WRX for 2.5 yrs now, which is the longest Ive kept any car. I normally get bored pretty quickly and fancy a swap but I honestly cant see me driving anything else. You dont buy a car like this if you are looking for fuel economy, but you do buy one if you want to grin regularly on your journeys. Sticks to the road like glue and seems bomb proof. Apart from replacing the rubbish OEM battery, Ive had no problems whatsoever. Power for pound this must be one of the bargain cars of the century. Ignore the comments about it being a chav car, thats just unimaginative stereotyping by untalented bored journo's or people who never even been in one. Get a life, get a laugh, get a Scoob.

keith thompson, April 4th 2008

WRX STi 4dr

Very fast, handles well. This is my 3rd Subaru - and my last. I have always loved the brand and the car's capabilites but really and honestly they are not as good as they seem. Interior and exterior quality is poor. Reliability is a big issue. I have had a lot of problems with gearbox, Brembo brakes and turbo. All 3 cars I have owned have been unbelievably expensive to service - parts are overpriced, and as for fuel consumption, only V-power fuel or super unleaded in the STis. Can't say I will miss the car anymore. I think it's like a mid-life crisis owning one of these, but there are far better and more entertaining less chavvy cars about.

Julian Abraham, March 14th 2008

WRX AWD Turbo 4dr

Although ive only had this car for 6 months i have covered some 10,000 miles or so and in this time i have found the car very enjoyable to drive. The steering is excellent,with a high level of grip in pretty much all conditions. I have found the handling to be better on quick tight turns (country lanes etc) than on faster a and b roads i feel that as the speed increases the front end can get a little light but overall its a great handling car. Power wise i think the car feels quicker than it actually is possibly due to the 4 wheel drive putting 100% of the power down, the turbo lag can be a little fustrating and in fact you can be left behind (momentarily) until the turbo starts spinning. The gearbox is really good with good precise changes. Interior quality isnt as bad as some people make out and the flimsy plastics are screwed together really well anyway so there are no squeaks or rattles. The seats too are very supportive. running costs...no matter how i drive the car i never manage to get more than 21-23 MPG, and the servicing prices are high, partly due to subarus labour rates (Β£74+ per hour). so you may find even a simple job could cost you quite a lot of money to rectify. The insurance group is 20 and for now it falls into the second highest road tax band (Β£205). This car can be heavy on your pocket but you somehow forget about all of this when your out on the open road driving, having the most fun this side of machines costing 4 times as much...

andre tully, essex, March 8th 2008

WRX 4dr

I have the 2.5 WRX, Blue, bought new, with the more discreet spoiler than the STi. My wife complimented me on the fact I had finally opted for a " sensible family 4 door saloon ". The fact is, the WRX 2.5 is a wild annimal when driven hard. You don't have to behave like a spotty boy racer, but when you decide to open up, the car simply does not disappoint. I love the way it will burble along with the traffic quite contentedly, pretty much un-noticed except for the turbo scoop, but when the opportunity arises, will leave most things fading in the rear view mirror. I've put 27000 in the clock, loved every minute, have no complaints regarding costs because I took all that on board before buying, and everyday this car puts a huge smile on my face. OK, so the interior is pretty basic and grotty, who cares ? The music system is rubbish. What makes this car a real joy is under the bonnet and under your right foot. Grip is just so good that you'll give up before the car. The new 2008 model looks appalling, I will never buy one of those so I guess I'll just have to keep enjoying the Scooby I have now.

John Wilson, January 21st 2008

WRX SL 4dr [Leather + Sunroof]

I chose the WRX SL in silver with a small spoiler because it is (relatively) toned down. In 9 months it has covered 9,000 miles and I have not had any problems at all. It is a fantastic car to drive – my wife often finds reasons to leave her BMW 330Ci at home and take the Impreza instead! I have fitted the Prodrive Performance Pack which has made it noticeably quicker and Prodrive springs which have eliminated the excessive body roll the car had when I first bought it. When driven hard it is very fast and its handling is very predictable. Overtaking is a bit too easy - it doesn't need much space to get past. It holds the road very well and isn't unsettled by poor surfaces (such as bumpy B roads) which would have my wife’s BMW fidgeting. There are some downsides - there is quite a lot of road noise which can make it tiring on long distances. Acceleration at motorway speeds in 5th is strong so it can be quite easy to find yourself exceeding the speed limit. The brakes aren't nearly as powerful as I think they should be (although there are various brake upgrade options that I am considering). It doesn't go very far on a full tank - I have managed 280 miles (max) from a tank so a lot of miles will mean a lot of petrol stops. Running costs are high (but I knew that when I bought it) and the interior isn’t brilliant (but it’s so much fun to drive that I don’t really notice it). Overall I think it is a fantastic car.

Peter King, Cheshire, January 7th 2008

WRX SL 4dr [Leather + Sunroof]

Had the car for 10mths on a 12mth lease, always fancied one and when I saw it on the leasing list and the ridiculousy low price per month it had to be done. Superb performance and handling, regular filling up is a bit of a pain and doing about 25k a year it stacks up. Even in commuting traffic its well mannered, not tiring and people seem to like them and therefore let you out a junctions etc. My only gripes are the music system is very basic and the new 2008 shape is awful, so would be reluctant to exchange it for one.

Darren Hodgson, December 3rd 2007

RX 4dr

I have a new 2007 model 2.0RX. This model has the 160bhp four-cam engine. The chassis, body and trim are very similar to the WRX model. Having put few thousand miles on the car I'm pleased to say that it has fully met expections. I have previously owned an older WRX and the RX was purchased as a cheaper-to-run alternative. Handling and cornering is exceptional. You would be hard put to unsettle the car by driving at normal UK road speeds. Steering, braking and gearchange quality are all very good. Its a genuine fun car to drive and in 'normal' driving it simply goes where its pointed with very little roll - just a flick of the wrist is enough to take it around most corners. The engine is super-smooth and spins up to 7000rpm with no effort. Very forgiving, so you can safely drive at the limit. Smooth driving is rewarded and clumsy inputs are forgiven - the car just stays glued to the road. Best of all I got 36mpg out of the last tankful of petrol - that's from a mix of motorway, A-road and suburban driving. Excellent! Coupled with a low (discounted) purchase price and low insurance, its no more costly than a base-model Focus. Car is so far 100% reliable, no creaks or rattles either. There are downsides to the car. I'm a big guy and find the front seats a little too narrow. The stereo speakers are poor and need upgrading. Although engine and wind noise are low, there is too much road noise which can be tiring on a long journey.

Eric Smith, September 21st 2007

bo 2000 4WD 4dr

after wanting a classic shape impreza turbo for a while i took the plunge and bought an immaculate one owner t plate turbo saloon with only 46000mls on the clock and full subaru history with some choice modifications which were a large 4 pot front brake conversion which means the car stops on a sixpence, a leda coilover suspension kit giving the car amazing handling and a full de cat stainless exhaust system which helps increase power and makes the car sound stunning. since then i have had the car remapped and it now delivers 280bhp which is more than enough to see off all but true supercars on the road and as for hot hatches such as golf gti's 16v and rs turbos and cosworths, ha ha dont even waste your time. this car is a true legend and if you havent driven one what are you waiting for!!!!!

jamie learmonth, September 4th 2007

WRX 4dr

2007 2.5 WRX - Good Points .... Drivers car - Quick & agile. Still carries a lot of street cred. . Bad points - Thirsty (but you knew that prior to purchase). Suspension does not like it if you need to back off on high speed corners (recommend prodrive springs to sort it out). Functional (at best) interior & poor sound system.. Overall - similar thrill to driving a motorbike for not a huge ammount of money. If your not plodding up & down the motorway doing huge miles this is one to try.

S Paisley, August 29th 2007

WRX 4dr

I purchased a MY06 (hawkeye head light) Impreza in May 06 and to be honest I haven't looked back since. I've always wanted this car since Colin McCrash thrashed the Mk I round the WRC, but many things in life don't live up to expectations. Thankfully this is not the case with the Impreza, I love it. Yes it's not the most attractive car on the road but it does have presence. The interior is bland, but when your driving the WRX if your looking at the interior your missing the point. With the flat four on song and the turbo whining everything else just fades into the background. Fantastic when being pushed but refined enough for everyday use, ride quality is better than my old Renault Laguna. A true sports car with performace to back up the looks, and reasonable pratical as well.

Stuart Scott, Gloucestershire, August 28th 2007

GX AWD 4dr

Non-turbo Imprezas are rare but are worth a look secondhand (4 years+): they depreciate quickly so there are some bargains out there. To start with a negative, the engine is noisy on the motorway and struggles to crack 35mpg. With 125 bhp, the 2.0 GX is not exceptionally fast but it's not slow, either. With 4WD, cornering is excellent (ride also OK) and the steering is light but not excessively so. The interior is not a work of art but it is roomy, practical and hard-wearing. Spec is reasonable but not over-generous. Main dealer servicing costs are high: I found a specialised dealer (ex-franchise) to keep costs down. Subarus are not the cheapest cars to own (insurance also high) but if looked after can last a long time and run to high mileages. (Don't be put off by cosmetic imperfections on secondhand vehicles: just check it's mechanically sound as spares are dear). Legacys are even better value: same qualities as the Impreza but you get a larger car with a much more generous specification, esp. Outback estates. Go for a mainstream alternative if you like buying high-spec brand new cars every two years (and can live with the depreciation) but consider Subaru if you like durable secondhand bargains.

Sanjoy Sen, August 12th 2007

WRX 4dr

I've just purchased a 2007 Impreza WRX. I'm very happy so far - it has superb steering, amazing handling and good performance, while the interior is functional but more than adequate. Stereo is only ok, though. High insurance and high fuel consumption blunt the pleasure a little but this car puts a smile on your face - just watch your speed. Amazing value at the moment while garages sell off the 2007 model in preparation for the new 2008 model (which looks like a Rover 200!)

Mike Potts, Caithness, August 11th 2007

WRX STi Prodrive 4dr

i got the car from new after my civic type r (which made me grin every time i drove it) but this one is fab, the whole experience from handling to performance is so much fun, the petrol bill is huge as you only run these machines on super unleaded but if i wanted economy i would by a C3 (i did for around town) the servicing is not huge, 12month service Β£175 24month which i had today at main dealer Β£211, not extortionate, suspension at rear needed attention but was replaced totally under warranty, a fab car which has left me thinking what car can i get next for the price with such excellent performance

neil davis, essex, June 30th 2007

WRX AWD Turbo 4dr

I have owned a 2.0WRX UK300 for coming up to one year, and without question it is the best car I have ever owned! Now some people are put off by the looks, and to be honest it wasn't exactly love at first sight for me either, but it definitely grows on you as the months go by! My version has a ProDrive Performance Pack fitted at standard, giving the car a sub 5 secs 0-60 mark. Even nearly a year on, I still get the same buzz from driving this car as I did the first day I brought it home! Cars costing 2,3,4 even 5 times as much can be taken to the cleaners at will if you are really motivated, and as for hot-hatches, watch them weep as you leave them for dead! Handling is incredible, it inspires almost too much confidence at times as I found out when I got pulled for doing 80mph on a 40mph stretch - whoops! Okay the interior is not great, but for me people who buy this car and moan about the lack of six CD autochanger or lack of cubby holes are completely missing the point - if nice interiors is what you are after stick to the Germans....if its incredible performance and value for money you are after then I dont think much can match the Impreza range! Likewise you're not looking to buy this car for fuel economy are you?! Only one fault to report in the last 12 months, a dodgy battery that was replaced for free as car is under warranty. Due its 24 month service this week so am bracing myself for a Β£400+ bill as well :-(

zahid chaudhri, May 1st 2007

GX AWD 4dr

My 51 Plate GX is the basic of the 2 litre engine versions and yet it still has a kick to it.(once 4 thousand revs is reached).The only down side is the ugly "bug-Eye" look, i have sorted this with the Angel Eye headlight conversion. I find the fuel consumption pretty reasonable(WHEN THE ENGINE MANAGEMENT LIGHT DOESN'T COME ON ADVISING YOU TO CHECK WHICH GRADE OF UNLEADED TO USE). As too is the driving position also the handling response. It is practical enough for myself, partner and our new family member to travel around in and feel 100 % safe.(great chasis build). The boot space is huge, but takes up most of the space for any rear passengers. And to downgrade from a 2 litre Renault Clio 182 Cup (due to new arrival) made me feel really depressed Performance and driver satisfaction wise. Now I have had this car for 4 months I can honestly say I COULD NOT have chosen a more practical family car for it's money.

Darren Conlen, Lancashire, May 1st 2007

WRX 4dr

Looks like I'm in a minority of one here but this did not set me alight on a test drive. First surprise was how noisy the engine was on tick-over (sounded like a diesel). Onto the road and the steering is very, very good, and banging it around a few roundabouts and corners I can see why this has a reputation for sticking to the road like glue. Can't fault the power, great acceleration and loads of torque on tap at almost any RPM. But other than those obvious plus points, the sound of the engine was, well, not exciting, it didn't purr or roar or sing to me, it sounded very refined in fact (which to some people is a good point). The ride was predictably unsettled (which as a driver with your foot down you won't notice of course!), but we did notice even in town at 30mph a tendancy to bounce about a bit. I do like the look of the lastest model, the light blue and the crystal grey colours without a spoiler even look almost executive. I had been looking forward to driving this for some time and maybe my expectations were too high after all the comments I have read, but to me the lack of any X factor meant I could not justify the higher running costs. Put it another way, I didn't get out smiling. Top marks to Subaru though for very prompt and comprehensive response to my brochure request and following this up with a call to see if the dealer had contacted me for a test drive.

John Smithes, March 20th 2007