Subaru Legacy Saloon Owner reviews

R 4dr

I bought this car 2 years old, with one previous owner and 20K miles on the clock. It's great. The vehicle has a real sense of presence, and the environment of the cabin impresses with how well-built it all is. The handling is brilliant, very secure and sure-footed on the twisty country roads of Bucks and Oxford. I do wish the driving position was just a bit more comfortable...the lack of under thigh support is a nuisance. This is not a problem on the higher spec cars with electric seats, I suspect. Also, the steering wheel adjustment needs to allow reach as well as tilt. I like the engine...for two litres it's responsive and powerful without ever alarming you. Refined on the motorway when cruising at between 70 and 80, it is capable of quiet and determined purpose when you need to press on. I have the auto gearbox, and it is brilliant in comparison to every other I have used (Ford, Renault and Vauxhall). In fully automatic, the 'box behaves sedately and unobtrusively. In sport setting, there is a sharper, more serious attitude, but the engine never hangs on unnecessarily to higher gears and high revs. The manual option is fun and easy to use. Insurance is high, but that's life. I appreciate the fact that the car comes with factory fitted Thatcham category 1 alarm and immobiliser, and the understated looks don't seem to attract the wrong sort of attention from either extreme of society (police or criminals).

Jon Wheeler, October 7th 2008

GL 4dr

I first bought this car second hand in march this year and was impressed straight away. Yes its relatively thirsty averaging around 33mpg but its a joy to drive. The grip from the 4 wheel drive is awesome, and the way it shrugs off bumps and potholes leaves you with a cheshire cat smile on your face as you see other motorists grimace in their cars. The steering is fluid and nicely firm at all speeds and very accurate. The turn in to a corner is fantastic and you know that you will reach your limit before the car does. The cabin is quite dark and a bit dour, but the level of spec is good, the instrumentation clear. The driving position is slightly odd but you get used to it very quickly, and the pedals are in the right place, as opposed to any french car. For the age of the model i think its absolutely great and very different from the other rep mobile clan. All in all, i love this car. Yes its a bit strange, not fuel efficient ( but im not a greeny anyway) and the servicing is a bit steep but its worth paying for the ability in all weathers and conditions. The 2.0 litre engine sounds great too, with a slight burble.

graeme day, lincolnshire, November 20th 2007

R 4dr Seq Auto

I have owned the vehicle from new (Sept 2005). It has just had its 30,000 mile service (first 30,000 miles/3 years' free - part of Subaru promotion when purchased). All contact with Subaru dealers has been excellent- they really look after their customers. The current car is a five-speed auto with manual override and the four-wheel drive provides excellent control in all weather and driving conditions. It's extremly comfortable on long motorway journeys and shorter town commuting. Fuel consumption is averaging 27mpg; it could use a six-speed auto 'box with higher final drive ratio for improved flexibility, possibly with 300bhp? It's tremendously well equipped for the money when measured against the 'German' equivalents; there are very few saloons on the road so it should maintain its exclusivity - but be prepared for high rate of depreciation. I will be changing to a 2007 Sports Tourer in September which has an even higher standard spec (but no 6-speed auto box). Manual versions of 3.0L Spec'B' have the Impreza 'box, hence it can be 'notchy'; in my opinion the auto box provides superior control & performance. Running costs are quite acceptable for this performance saloon - incidentally, fully comprehensive insurance with self/spouse with Hastings Direct Β£190 p.a!

PETER HARPER, S.YORKSHIRE, July 14th 2007

REn 4dr

I gave 3 stars for inside quality and equipment because some very important safety equipments are missing like VDC and steering wheel control for audio and there are some strange rattles from the doors and the back although materials, fit and finish look of high quality. On the road 3 stars because when cornering fast or sudden, it tends to oversteer and it leans more than I expected if you consider the toughness of the suspension and 17' wheels. Consumption is normal for a 2 litres auto petrol but insurance cost is realy very high. Body is rigid but suspension set up is not comfortable on every road. You drive it on a high way and it is surprisingly comfortable. But if you drive it on imperfect roads, the wavy movements of the chassis from the front to the back become tyring. Performance is mediocre and I expected more from a 165 hp engine and a Subaru chassis when I compare it to 2.0 petrol auto Accord that has a same or slightly better body control and quite better performance. The most amazing part of the car is symmetrical awd. The launching ability and the traction on dirty or snowy roads are perfect. Otherwise, the boxer engine has got nothing more than i-vtec engine of Honda but less dynamism. Yes, in theory boxer engines are better for a lower center of gravity but I could not feel this advantage when cornering till today. At last I realy wonder to read Neil O'Gorman's promised 7 days report and feelings.

Mustafa Tutunoglu, July 5th 2007

REn 4dr

Having owned the car for a little over 24Hrs now, you may think that this review is a little premature! However, what a drive, what a car! I picked my 20.REn up from Brighton on Monday morning, drove straight to Dover, across France, Belgium The Netherlands and home to Germany (via Dusseldorf airport to pick up a visiting mother)with no sress, strain or bother. The drive is fantastic, fuel econ (for a brand new car on the motorway at ahem.. 80ish)was sitting at 31.5mpg according to the onboard computer. As for equipment, you want for nothing, sat nav, multi cd, dual climate control, full black leather and any other toy you could care to mention. Praise indeed for this motor car, but only 4 star overall rating, wait untill I've owned it a week for the full five!

Neil O'Gorman, March 27th 2007

R Spec B 4dr

My car is coming up to its second birthday, and has now done around 33,000 miles. I still love this car (deeply) and its appeal grows as time goes by. Something has gone wrong (at last!), in that the alarm/immobiliser/remote central locking unit on the key failed one wet, dark night in a poorly lit car-park. This was a pain, but a call to my local garage provided the necessary pass-code to type into the (hidden) key-pad in the car. That got me moving again in 15 mins. I'm glad it happened to me, not my wife, though. The new key was a paltry Β£25 incl VAT. I've been wanting to 'improve' the car for a while and so have invested in Prodive Sports Silencers for the twin exhausts. These look fab (in my view) and provide an extra deep growling bass tone to the exhaust that adds something of the night to aural driving experience. It adds a little to background cruising noise, but, at the moment I'd say it's a more than fair trade. I am still baffled by how exclusive these cars are, because on many counts it's a really fine car to drive and own. Hopefully the diesel (which is getting great reviews) will bring new much needed, new interest - I do get concerend that lack of demand and emissions regulation challenges will result in my local dealer disappearing and Subaru withdrawing from our market.

Steven Robinson, Herts, March 22nd 2007

i SEn 4dr Auto [Sat Nav]

I like this car a lot - I think it is good looking and not something you will see on everyone's drive, so that's a bonus for a start. I average 32-35 miles to the gallon, and it has been up to 40 miles to the gallon a couple of times. On a recent trip to Scotland, I averaged 38 miles to the gallon. I wish the car had a bit more zip at times, as I have been caught out a few times trying to overtake. The autobox is fine 98% of the time, but can be snatchy sometimes when you pull away. The driving position could be a lot better than it is; the electric adjustment works well and can fit most sizes of driver, but the seat could be a bit more comfortable and the steering wheel needs to adjust for reach, then it would be perfect. My main problem with the car is paint quality. Subaru must show these cars the way to the paint booth and if they don't want to go in they don't have to. Is the reason the paint is so thin that the car wieghs less, thus making it faster, or is it to save a few pence? All in all, it's a good car with a few niggles. I think Subaru should survey Legacy owners to work out the niggles with people that own and drive their cars. This could be a great car with a bit of help, and a few more horsepower (why only 165bhp from 2.5-litres?), but at the moment it's just a good one. I dont know if I would buy another. Maybe if they decide to make a diesel I would consider it.

ian foxwell, essex, September 21st 2006

R Spec B 4dr

It's taken a little time to get comfy with driving this car. Its six-speed gearbox takes some getting used to and I manage to stall it on a regular basis. However, get it right and it flies with a fantastic flow, making it feel all-conquering. In terms of fuel economy, it averages a whisper under 30mpg - not bad given the performance. I'm very happy with the cabin and build quality and equipment. It does need a better sound system and remote locking fob (not faults you'd find on an Audi). The only fault so far is an odd little rattle from rear from time to time.

mark weir, cheshire, September 19th 2006

i SE 4dr

To Steven Robinson - if your Legacy is locked, one short click will unlock the doors, but a longer 'hold down' click of about two seconds unlocks the doors - and the boot, too.

Gavin Barrie, Midlothian, July 26th 2006

i SE 4dr

I managed 130,000 miles in my Legacy before it went back (company car). It is a great car, very understated with fine handling and good low-down punch. The flip side I found was fuel consumption - I just couldn't get better than 25mpg average, and I don't particularily push it. The top-end grunt was also only average - motorway work in the 80mph range gave little pull in top gear. And then there was the clutch - I got through three towards the end of its stay with me. The dealer acknowledged that high milers can get transmission and clutch woes. It's definitely a great car, though.

H Goodman, July 4th 2006

Rn 4dr Seq Auto [Sat Nav]

I bought the car from new and obtained a discount of about 6% from the list price, plus I also managed totake advantage of the three years' free servicing offer. This is the first automatic I have owned and am impressed with the way the 'box changes up and down compared with other automatics I have driven in the past. Having driven 5000 miles, the engine is bedded in and revs freely up to the red line, making a glorious noise as it does so. The levels of grip are impressive and I have come nowhere near the limits of traction on any bend - no matter what the conditions have been. There is not that much body roll when cornering but wind noise could be reduced - it's not excessive but more noticeable than in the Volvo S60 T5 I previously had. On the other hand, it is far more manoeuvrable and has a much smaller turning circle. The cabin is well fitted out and a comfortbale driving position is easy to find. Visibility levels are good and everything seems well put together. There is plenty of space for four adults and the ski hatch is essential for transporting fishing rods. I'd recommend the car to anybody who wants something that bit different to the run-of-the-mill Audis, BMWs and Mercedes - you may not be buying the same perceived status but you are getting superior performance and more kit for a keener price. Who drives a badge anyway?

Jon Read, West Midlands, July 8th 2005

i SE 4dr

I purchased a 2.5 SE auto in November 2004 ex-demo with 9000 miles on the clock. 1)The first problem I had was with the alarm - it kept going off and it turned out to be a manufacturing fault with a switch under the bonnet. They upgraded a switch to one that was screwed in and not stuck on as the original. 2) Next there was a creaking noise when driving over bumps. Again this was a fault that Subaru was aware of and they tightened the front struts. 3)A grinding noise came from the front brakes as if pads had worn out. Subaru were aware of this and I was told it was a defect with the pads. All of the above faults were fixed free of charge. Overall, the car is pretty good but the auto does feel underpowered and it returns an avg 31mpg.

martin findlay, beds, April 11th 2005

R Spec B 4dr

Oh my goodness what an awsome car. At home it is affectionately know as The Missile. No need to guess why it has that name. We traded in a four-month-old Porsche Boxster for this car because of herrendous depreciation on the Porsche. As former Impreza owners, we decided to take a look at the Spec B because nothing came close on performance or equipment. Throw into the equation the four-wheel-drive as well and in our opinion the car is an absolute winner, with stealth looks to match. We have absolutely no regrets in swapping from allegedly the best roadster on the market into what we see as the best performance saloon in its class. Well done Subaru, but please bring the B4 into the UK.

Catherine Johnson, Wiltshire, March 17th 2005

i 4dr

I'm very pleased with this car, which replaced a much-loved 5-cylinder Audi. It is very well built, comfortable, has excellent road grip and safe, predictable handling. The all-wheel drive system - like Audi's quattro - was a real selling point for me. It also has an excellent stereo system, and I like the growl of the flat-4 engine when it's working hard, yet it's quiet at speed. I have only two real criticisms, firstly that the main beam headlights are inadequate for country driving - I had driving lamps fitted; the second is the lack of reach adjustment for the steering wheel - I'm 6ft 2 and find my arms a little too straight when I have the seat right back. My car is an automatic and it's not the smoothest box around but it's rarely caught in the wrong gear when in "sport" setting and since a lot of my driving is in the city I still prefer it to a manual. It's not especially economical on fuel however, although it's slightly better with premium petrol. Servicing is expensive and dealers not very common. I should add that I live in Australia and a Subaru 2.5 RX costs roughtly 2/3rds the price of a BMW 318 or Audi A4 so value for money is outstanding here!

Gavin Ryan, December 21st 2004

i 4dr

Drive a few miles and you can not help but be impressed by the compliant ride and the confidence-inspiring grip. The engine pulls freely from all revs and is impressivley smooth in delivery, accompanied by a very pleasant soundtrack as the revs rise. You need to look hard for faults and the only ones I can make are instruments can be hard to read in sun light. The other is the electric windows only work with the ignition on. Working from the car like I do this can be annoying when you want to open the window while working parked. The car is superb and I have brightened mine with a few minor mods to give a more agressive appearance, maybe Subaru have been a little subdued with the styling. However it is a good looker.

Russell Hayes, Staffordshire, November 1st 2004

i 4dr

In three weeks I've happily clocked 1,800 miles of very pleasureable driving, including a long motorway trip to London, a jaunt up to Glencoe and lots of urban driving. The All Wheel Drive works exactly as claimed, with stupendous road holding. At high speed the car feels supremely stable and predictable. Point the wheel, it goes where it's told, unperturbed by poor road surfaces or wet conditions. You'd swear it was a cat with claws, spiked to the tarmac. Engine noise when pushed is throaty and exciting, motorway speeds are quiet and refined. Wind and road noise is minimal, but not quite as quiet as a top-end BMW. The gears are nicely balanced with so much torque on tap, you'll be changing them far less often. Corner in 4th, with the speed down at 20mph and the car doesn't even blink at other end. The fuel economy is good, on a long motorway trip I averaged 37.8mpg. Yes, I was being light on the accelerator, but cruising speed was still between 70-80mph. Drive gently, it'll sip fuel. It's not as economical as a diesel, but beat what I was expecting. The fit and finish is good, much better than previous Subaru's I've seen. There's not the same cubby holes as an MPV but the boot is spacious with a low sill. Cabin space is generous. Tall passengers have plenty of leg, head and shoulder room. It's right up there with the best BMWs, but other road drivers won't hate you and you'll still get let out at junctions. Can't say fairer than that!

Gavin Barrie, Midlothian, October 11th 2004