V-matic TR 5dr

I own a 2011 model (Automatic) and bought it from my local dealer. I had to replace my Rover 75 with a reliable car and thought Japanese brand could be the one for me as I previously had VW and did not like the firm ride on the German cars. The good point s are as follow: 1- on smooth roads a very comfortable ride. 2- Gear transition is smooth 3- Loads of space Unfortunately good points stop here and lets see the bad points: 1-Appalling customer services which came a s a surprise. 2-Interior quality is very cheap and boring. Hard plastics are everywhere and there is an annoying noise coming from the dash which show parts are not well screwed together!!! 3- Awful ride on rough services with some rattle noise coming to the cabin. Checked it with toyota and it seems there is no fault with the car. It is just the design. 4- Too much wind and road noise 5- Combined claimed mpg of 41.5 is never achieved. I get 32 mpg even with shell V-power and I am an extremely careful driver Summary: Would I buy it again? No No No!!! Never ever. Go for a German brand and don't waste your money. I simply made a big mistake.

mahdi damghani, February 27th 2015

D-4D Icon 4dr

Not the best of the best in the Β£20K class if i'm honest. Interior is good and comfortable. Economy is not the greatest by far for a new 2.0 common rail diesel unit which this vehicle has. Even driving efficiently as possible on long runs it struggles to average a good 50MPG so the facts and figures are totally a unreliable source as it claims it can achieve up to 62.6+MPG. Driving on the road is average. Don't get me wrong it is a gem to drive very smooth and quiet however with 124ps it does come over as a bit sluggish for a modern 2.0 diesel. However i must say it does look nicer than a Mondeo or an Insignia especially the 'icon' model with alloy wheels, front fogs LED day running lamps etc. If i was to spend Β£20K on a new family saloon such as the avensis i would not go for the Avensis there are a lot of options available in the Β£20K market. Like i said the biggest negative about this vehicle is the fuel consumption and performance. It just doesn't seem to be up to date with the 4 door saloon car market in terms of performance and economy.

tom wowk, nottinghamshire, November 9th 2013

D-4D TR 5dr

Avensis Hatchback TR diesel 124 bhp. Owned from new in 2008. 42000 miles. New discs and pads at 5 year service. Reliable, economical and boring. Excellent car and I suppose I should really have bought a new one by now but it still drives like it did when I got it and returns 50+ to the gallon overall. Bought for Β£16500 cash in May 2008 and I have been offered Β£6500 cash for it. 'Only' losing Β£10,000 over 5 years is nowadays quite a bonus.Massive boot that takes 2 full electric trolleys/golf bags and bits. Highly recommended.

Bill Ralphson, Lancashire, September 5th 2013

D-4D T Spirit 5dr

Bought the car with 75k on the clock and in just under 2 years have lifted the mileage to 165k. During that time it has been very reliable and economic to own, with fuel economy around 49 mpg. As is noted in other reviews the headlights when dipped are not good although with beam it is fine. I find the ride and handling a little soft for my liking but passengers are happy enough. Performance is good but the engine never seems to be as powerful as 148bhp would suggest it should be and the torque does not really suit the high gearing but I have got used to that. Power delivery is smooth and there is minimal noise at motorway speeds. Equipment is excellent generally and the leather seats comfortable and practical. I gave up on the integral satnav and only use tomtom. Overall - very happy with the car.

Mark Wenban, Cambs, July 20th 2013

V-matic TR 5dr

23,000 miles and 2 years into ownership and try as I might I can't find any reason to change this car - my car history is that I've never owned a car for more than 18 months in 42 years of driving. I agree with many reviews I've read - its not a car to lust over, it won't set the pulse racing, it's a bit bland. But what it is, is a reliable transport tool. The ride is excellent even on the pot-holed, rutted tarmac we laughingly call roads nowadays, the mpg is passable for a 1.8 petrol auto (38.5-40). I can't say I love it, but I do respect the ownership proposition and the smooth and quiet ride and the huge boot space. And I look forwards to not having any of the nasty costly problems so common with diesels. No turbo. No dual-mass flywheel. No particulate filter. No DSG gearbox. No extended service intervals so decent clean oil is still in the engine when I take it in for service. I do a lot of motorway driving so the standard cruise control is great, every trip is different and the satnav is accurate (and polite). Niggles - the 7" media screen is too small & subject to reflections - it dims when the lights are on and can't be seen in daytime when its foggy or overcast. The menu structure is fiendishly complicated and even after 2 years I haven't mastered it. Oh and there is no "TA" button to cancel unwanted traffic announcements - this requires 6 menu selections. But with a 100k miles 5 year warranty, I think I'll probably buy another Avensis..... eventua

Martin Hamilton, Somerset, July 19th 2013

D-4D T3-S 5dr

Bought this car in 08 with 52k on clock. One previous owner. I've done a further 65k since mostly on work car share run with 4 adults on mixture of A/Mway roads. Averages 50+ mpg, comfortable, roomy and reliable. Until this month just required servicing and usual consumables. Aircon pulley started to rattle and a wheel bearing is now grumbling. Can live without aircon so it has been disconnected and once wheelbearing is sorted I hope to get to 200k without further bother. Its not the liveliest drive but it does what's required without fuss. There's any amount of this model on the roads but very few in breakers yards.

Michael Burke, Derry, April 4th 2013

D-4D T2 4dr

I have the 2012 model on loan at the moment and I have to say I'm disappointed. Engine is lacklustre and lacks punch. Interior is rubbish, horrible silver centre console with 1980s style switch gear. Brakes are abysmal and suspension crashes over the many bumps on irish roads. Surely Toyota can do better on a 20k car.

tony sheehan, December 8th 2012

D-4D T4 5dr

Firstly, I traded in my 59 plate Tourer 2.2 D-4D T4 for Β£10K (which the dealer now has on sale for Β£13K incidentally) for the newer more fuel efficient T4. Couple of points to note: Firstly I was getting 44 mpg on my old car and currently getting 49 mpg on this 2.0l model so not a great deal better although I suspect that will increase as the car beds in. The steering is very light - almost too light and come snow and ice I'm not going to feel safe in it to be honest. The trim on the new T4 is LESS than the old T4 - no full leather electric heated seats for a start. Take note of the SatNav "online" capabilities. It requires a smartphone for tethering and although mine is listed as a compatible model on the Toyota website (Sony Xperia Arc S), it DOES NOT WORK. Insist on trying it out before you purchase. Other than those negative points, the rest is all good. Massive boot space. Comfy leather/alcantara seats (non heated, manual). Good speaker system. Easy to drive. Rear camera to aid parking. Quick off the mark and on a par with previous model although specs say it's 0.9 secs slower 0-62. Dealership hardly budged on any discounts so probably wouln't go for another Toyota next time, but time will tell.

Paul Cook, Tyne and Wear, November 14th 2012

D-4D T2 5dr

Have owned my 2.0 TR tourer for 12 months (9,000 miles) and it was a used buy. It's my 4th Avensis, having previously owned a 51 plate 1.8, a 55 plate T4 2.2 diesel, and an 08 plate TR 2.2 diesel. The engine in this one isn't a patch on my previous 2.2 models. That said, it is a comfortable car that suits my driving style nowadays. I use it for work and am often on motorways, so it is a comfortable and effortless drive. I've been getting 45 - 50mpg all day long in all conditions. If I'm honest I prefer the previous model. There isn't a lot wrong with it - it's just a bit bland and unispiring!

Peter Sutton, Merseyside, August 8th 2012

D-4D Colour Collection 4dr

I own a Toyota Avensis 2ltr D4d and what a brilliant car it is,it holds the road brilliantly and long drives are a pleasure,with over 230,000 miles,yes miles not kilometres on the clock the only thing that gave up was the air conditioning pump after 200,000 miles which i replaced for 500 euro fitted,it has a huge boot and lost of room and comfort for passengers and with 10,000 miles between servicing it just cant be beaten as well as managing over 45mpg

paul tuomey, November 19th 2011

VVTi Vermont 5dr

I have the 51 plate Auto version. Good practical car, no real costs incurred apart from servicing and tyres. It does drink oil though, unsure as to why. MPG overall is around 30, not great, but ok I guess. Owned a Carina E 1.6 manual before this & the MPG was nearer 45, so feel the pinch at the pump a little. Got 105K on the clock, drives like new, everything works.

Sunny Singh, Essex, May 3rd 2011

D-4D T3-X 5dr

I bought this car as a stop-gap after my beloved Renault Clio I had from when I was 17 started going wrong. Was not intending in keeping the car, but yep after a year it is still my loyal motorway companion. After buying at a very reasonable Β£6000 with only 64,000K on the clock it was a bargain for a diesel, I have now just nudged over 97,000K in a years motoring, and it has been a joy to own, completly dependable and reliable so far.(touch wood) apart from lots of stone chips, dents and creaky suspension she still powers along :) Such a comfortable cruiser at speed, and has plenty of mid-range power when you really want to get home from a hard day at the office, not the fastest out there but for its size its more than adequate. With this in mind averaging about 55mpg-70mpg if your really become anal about how much pressure you apply to the throttle, but do sometimes think the computer plays tricks on you. I have no idea when I will get rid of this car, it does everything I need it to do, gets my bike(s) in and on the roof, and the dog. Its not the most pretty looking thing on UK roads but I like to think it looks purposeful. Strongly recommend the Toyota Avensis to any one who just wants a car to get them to where there going and if your driving 500 miles + a week Going to try to eek out 200,000K before I change, and I am sure this car can take me there.

Danny Jardine, Cheshire, April 28th 2011

D4-D GS 5dr

i have drove this car for a year and had no major problems, it was serviced regularily.I bought it second hand from an elderly man who never abused it there was 57000 miles on it , at 79000 miles the crank shaft went leaving me to try and find a replacement engine.Apparently there is 9 variations on the engine leaving me having tried three different types to date with out success!! I have contacted all the salvage yards in N.Ireland and after 2-3mths still havent found a replacement!! apart from the crank shaft breaking for no apparent reason it also blows its turbo fairly regularily! I have been advised by professionals the d4d engine is one of the most unreliable on the market.I previously owned a toyota corolla which was basically indistructable but those days are apparently over!! beware dont buy toyotas are not what they were to be ie; reliable

noel mcelroy, fermanagh, April 12th 2011

D-4D TR Nav 5dr

I purchased this car from new and so far am very pleased with it. I do about 28K miles a year and find it suits my needs very well being fairly big and comfy with adequate performance. I opted for the 2.2 as I prefer lazy auto gearboxes in traffic and contrary to several reviews I've read the box provides smooth shifts at appropriate revs. The sat nav is excellent, but check the route before you select as it can take you on some unusual roads. The music player is superb, particularly the USB reader which allows easy access to my collection without the hassle of an Ipod and all controlled from the clear touch screen display. The fuel consumption is a bit hard to swallow in a diesel car with only 150bhp and even with a lot of motorway driving I'm yet to see the average consumption greater than 36mpg but hopefully this will improve as the engine loosens up. Handling is "real world" good at appropriate speeds and suspension is very good over our knackered roads. Don't believe the poor reviews about the Avensis, it's actuaally a very good car and really easy to live with for everyday driving on busy roads. If you want a sporty car, buy a sporty car and put up with harsh suspension, high running costs and a bad back, if you drive all day for a living this is a pretty good option.

Stuart Brown, March 19th 2011

D-4D T4 4dr

Toyota's new avensis is the best yet. prices start from around Β£14,000 for the saloon and Β£16,000 for the tourer. theres a good amount of standerd equitment.Toyota's are one of the most reliable car makers so no problems expected.

John Goodall, February 21st 2009

VVT-i T3-X 5dr

I bought this car 2nd hand 3yrs old with 49k on clock one prev owner from Toyota dealership on Tyneside who both in sales and subsequent servicing have given 1st class service. 10k service only Β£99 and 20k service ie 70k inc brake fluid change Β£250, always comes back valeted.. Local town driving gives 40mpg, careful m/way and country driving 47mpg+. Very well screwed together, loads of space and toys. Go for T3X, not T3S, as you get front fogs and dual zone climate - buy your own stand-alone colour sat nav! Other reviews comment on road noise- ive put carat progressos on and seems whisper quiet to me!but was ok before.Other comments re build quality - guess it depends how you treat it- Chieftan tank will fall apart if you chuck enough at it! Will keep and change to new model Avensis when 2nd hand on forecourts.

Paul T Irving, Northumberland, February 2nd 2009

GS 5dr

As usual your model list does not include my actual car which is a 2000 "W" 1.8SE Automatic - presumably the list came from Toyota. Always a nightmare with limited edition models. It is very similar to the GS though. It has been a reliable car generally (I've had it from new - 70K miles) but I have been plagued by expensive Toyota dealers who think everyone can afford a Lexus. When things do go wrong they cost a bomb. It replaced an underpowered Cavalier 1.8 so for some time I thought it was the best car I had driven. Now, eight years on, it is a bit noisy and rattles a bit. Roadholding is steadily worse as it gets older. Great mpg on motorways, but very poor when my wife drives it around town. Boot space brilliant. I do like it though, generally it not cost me much and I would have given it 4 stars but for a persistent problem with the airbag light coming on that the useless dealer cannot fix. Apparently it does not record any errors codes after it comes on so there's nothing they can do. They won't admit this is something they have ever seen before - which I don't believe.

Robert Knight, Kent, January 10th 2009

D-4D T Spirit 5dr

2 adults 4 growing kids - owned a previa for 8 years (no faults but large and thirsty) - so what to buy? Lots of research shows zafira/touran comedy rear seats+no boot space+unreliable. Sharan/galaxy unreliable. Corolla Verso too small. Then read about avensis verso. Found 3 year old D4D ex company car. Owned for 3 years now, totally reliable, 50 mpg, powerful, manageable in town, beautifully comfortable on journeys, can seat 7 + luggage because of clever under-boot!! we just fold 1 rear seat and it takes 6 of us + 6 cases and outdoor gear. Oh and it has PROPER rear seats which will take an adult with leg room. 3 individual centre seats with hue legroom. Seperate rear aircon/heating. Superb long term purchase-toyota expensive-but you get what you pay for.

peter eckersley, September 27th 2008

D4-D S 5dr

Wosrt car I have ever owned. It was only 2yo (2001 model) and very low mileage when clutch, gear box, fly wheel, starter motor and a number of other things went. Cost me a fortune to fix. That and the leaky sun roof and rear window and bad back from poor seats. Fair to say I hated this car and because of it will NEVER buy a toyota again. I owned it for 2 years and it spent most of that time at the garage getting repairs done. Sent it to auction and I guess I owe the poor guy who bought it a big 'SORRY'.

tracy monkhouse, September 20th 2008

VVT-i T3-X 5dr

I bought this car on a 56 Plate, at 10 months old with 6500 miles on the clock. It was an ex-Toyota car. The car was purchased from RRG Swinton, and was unmarked inside and out, almost as new. It has just had the second service at RRG and I was dismayed to find, that it required a new clutch!!, also a new master cylinder!!. All credit must be given to RRG Swinton for checking and rectifying these faults during the Service. However, this does not alter the fact that it is not acceptable,that a car of the supposed Toyota Avensis quality,and reputation, should suffer what can only be described as inferior Manufactured Components!!!Cost Cutting no doubt!! The car drives well overall and has a quality feel about it. TOYOTA GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER IN RELATION TO THE ABOVE FAULTS, IN SUCH SHORT MILEAGE.this then may put Toyota back at the top of the league for reliability as it was for many years, your alternative is Customers going elsewere, You have been warned!! I can finish by saying that I cannot fault RRG Swinton for their after sales care, it is in my exsperience second to none. Would I buy another Toyota? The jury is out on that one at the moment.But if!! I did I would buy from RRG Swinton.

GERARD GRIFFITHS, LANCASHIRE, September 6th 2008