VVTi 10th Anniversary 5dr CVT Auto

I hired one at my own expense for 2 weeks (1500miles) before buying to be sure I had made the right decision - try it and you'll be impressed too. Chosem for business - as an alternative to the offered BMW 3-series which would have cost me £180/month company car tax against £90 for Prius - no-brainer. Very sensitive to how you drive it - spirited driving costs you but my style of careful driving pays me - last 10,000 miles was 60.7mpg according to on-board computer, saving me well over £10 a week on fuel. Essential to know how to get the best out of it but even the £90/month tax saving is a huge bonus, and there are far more standard items on this car - satnav, colour reversing camera, excellet audio, etc., etc. A simple, brilliant favourite is the 'head-up' display (standard on Prius) showing your speed on the windscreen just below where you look when driving - keeps points at bay. Whether you drive like you've just stolen it or like you cherish it, the fuel figures will definitely reflect your style. Good forward planning and using your momentum pays you. Very smooth, quiet, relaxing to drive and fits so well with modern driving (ie in heavy traffic flows). I've covered 85,000miles so far, trouble free relaxed driving, all over UK in totally mixed conditions. But don't choose black as I did, looks great when clean (5% of the time) but shows every watermark

John Davidge, Lincs, February 5th 2015

VVTi T3 5dr CVT Auto

I took this as a company car, mainly excited by the fuel efficiency. I have to say that I have been completely and utterly underwhelmed. My main gripes are: 1. The fuel efficiency is awful. Even driving really cautiously I return about 46.5mpg. When doing motorway driving at 70mph max, I never get more than 52mpg. 2. The car is very unintelligent... the lights and windscreen wipers aren't automatic which is a total pain, plus it doesn't use the EV mode automatically. 3. The same beeping alarm sound is used to notify of all issues. Plus the alerts are unclear. Eg. if a door is left open then a symbol showing all doors being open means you have to check all the doors, rather than it telling you which door or the boot is open. 4. When you put it in reverse there is the sound similar to a lorry reversing, except that it is inside the cabin only! Personally I find it incredibly annoying that I can't talk when reversing due to the really loud reversing warning sound beeping in the cabin. I'd much prefer reversing sensors which beep when I'm going to hit something! 5. The sat nav, even on max volume, is too quiet to hear above music that you might have on the radio. Hence I turn it off. 6. There is no beep or notification on the dashboard when you're about to run out of petrol, just the remaining fuel level symbol flashes gently. So in summary it's a massive disappointment and I can't wait for my new company car in 6 weeks time!... a Ford :

Howard King, January 12th 2015

VVTi T Spirit 5dr CVT Auto

Having owned a Prius before, there is a lot familiar about this one - just better all round. More economical, with 62 mpg best trip averages. A bit more performance, if you need it. The default mode seems almost sluggish, though perfectly logical for the job of easing you around with minimal fuel use. If you want to, select the "power mode" and you access the engine capability and it is positively nippy in a way the previous one was not. Ride and handling are pretty good. It is un-flustered and predictable but stick it into a favourite corner and the tires protest earlier than you might have thought, so if you are used to a car's capability that you don't find the edge of in normal driving, this is different. Interior all works. Controls are nice to use, displays are well set out. While the carpets and seats look low rent, it is pleasant enough in use. Toy count is high. Reversing camera is strangely useful, park assist not.

Danyal Sattar, June 13th 2013

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

My 3rd review, Now 110,000 Miles and not one single failure. Getting an average of 60-65 mpg per tank and not some random trip reading. Lots of people say they get such and such on the motorway etc which is completely irrelevant, it's what you get per tank is what matters. Remember what you may loose on the motorway you should regain at slower speeds in town or on slower roads and more Again pulse and glide, on a decent release the accelerator and press gently until energy flows only from the battery to keep the momentum going, it gives you a gentle electric push. And another way is release the accelerator and gently push until no arrows flow at all, then you're coasting then if you press the accelerator more you get an extra push only from the battery, using this technique I can even drive through many small towns and villages in Ireland using absolutely 0 fuel. The Prius is a great car and it's a shame to think I drive one of the lowest emissions car on the road, far less harmful emissions than any diesel, yet diesel is promoted as being a green earth saving fuel due to some now having lower Co2 emissions. Co2 is seen as a pollutant which it is not, most of the other toxic emissions from diesels is harming human health yet this is completely ignored in the E.U. A lot of people are having very expensive failures on diesels today such as the dmf and dpf, non of this is an issue with the Prius, it's one of the most reliable cars in the world. I'll never buy another

Mark O ' Byrnes, Kildare, May 20th 2012

VVTi T4 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

over 26 kms I can average 62.7 mpg at speeds up to 60 mph. Driving my 2003 A4 TDI over the same distance 40-45 max! However on the motorway over 60 miles I averaged 53.5 mpg in the prius. About the same as the A4. I'm convinced I can get more mpg in the Prius once I get used to it. I bought an 07 with 45,000 miles for a real bargain. It's not as comfortable as the A4's leather seats. And not as nice to drive. But I am happy with the Prius! To all those people crying of only getting 45 mpg. If you familiarise yourself with the technology there is no reason you can't get good mpg at all. There is one trick called pulse and glide in the right conditions up to 40 mph. Check it out it does work! I was thinking about the polo bluemotion, no way, too small, ugly inside and uncomfortable, and the rattle of the 3 pot diesel is way too much of a compromise. Particle filters on modern Diesels can give major trouble at great expense, no thanks. I liked diesels when they were like they are supposed to be-nice and simple. Not any more! And at the prices some of them go second hand? no way! With the fuel economy I'm getting in the Prius I will never go back to noisy expensive diesels again! For the size of the prius and it being a petrol automatic, it is remarkable how good the economy is. Remember Pulse And Glide ! Some of the you tube videos make it look like you have to drive painfully slow, but they are giving a demo of the way it works! You will figure out when to

Mark O ' Byrnes, Kildare, February 25th 2011

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

I ENDORSE MOST OF THE POSITIVE REMARKS. BUT I FIND BEING TIED TO A TOYOTA DEALER ANNOYING...MINE IS TOO FAR AWAY FROM MY HOME. CAR BOUGHT MARCH 2003. I HAVE HAD AUXLLARY BATTERY FAILURE TWICE (FLAT AS A PANCAKE) WITH NO GOOD REASON FOUND.PRESENT BATTERY FAILED FROM 15 MONTHS NEW. RECENTLY FULLY RE-CHARGED BUT I DO NOT TRUST IT GARAGE TELLS ME I DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR ENOUGH TO KEEP THE BATTERY CHARGED....................NONSENSE.. ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS TROUBLE?

don feasey, GREATER MANCHESTER, February 10th 2009

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

This my 2nd Prius, changed in Oct 2008. First one averaged 55/56 mpg this one no higher than 46mpg running same journeys (all country roads) as last one. I am at present at issue with Toyota as regards lower mpg and so far not too pleased with their response. Otherwise car excellent and reliability first classl

Brian Allinson, Dumfriesshire, January 9th 2009

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Had a T3 for nearly 3 years, covered 19,000 mls. Very good build quality... no rattles, squeaks and the woodlouse shape makes it very very quiet at speed. Economy nothing like that advertised... av 54 in summer & mid 40's in the winter, but even so I'm not unhappy. Is best either in town or on flat A roads between 40-55mph... fuel economy suffers on motorways. Visibility not brilliant out of the back and why no heated rear view mirrors? Also because its silent when on electric it could do with an external audible warning when reversing to warn pedestrians. Quirky dash & info displays a bit of fun... most useful is av MPG... least useful is the energy regenerated. Flat load space excellent when the rear seats are folded, but boot space bit small when 4 people in the car. Overall a very good start for hybrid cars... a bit pricey but wins out on its qualities.

Clive Duckworth, January 3rd 2009

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

105,000 miles in four years. Nothing gone wrong, nice driving position and quick for an economical family car. Interior could be a bit less tacky but has stood up to normal family abuse very well. This is really a very good car, a bit dull, maybe but reliable, quiet, easy to drive and I am definitely buying another one.

charles stevens, kent, January 2nd 2009

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

I've owned my Prius T-Spirit for 7 months and almost 10,000 miles now, and dispite all the criticism the car strangely seems to attract, there is simply no better car for my daily commute in and out of West London. Forget Toyota's environmental claims - the main thing the Prius protects is your wallet. The 55-60mpg I get in the warmer months (it dips to around 50mpg during winter) is just the beginning; group 7 insurance, £15 road tax, 8-year powertrain warranty and arguably the best numbers of them all - JD Power 2008 Customer Satisfaction Survey winner (and joint top in 2007). It's totally stress-free and easy to drive, while being smooth and quiet too. It's spacious inside and has a terrific specification (the T-Spirit has touchscreen sat nav, bluetooth, parking camera and MP3 connector). Interior quality is better than you might expect. Incidentally, a previous review suggested that tall people may find it hard to get comfortable; I'm 6' 1" and have absolutely no comfort problems at all. Only downsides are a lack of performance - especially when the main hybrid battery is spent and needs the petrol engine to recharge - and it's perhaps not the prettiest thing on the road, nor the most exciting to drive hard. But if cheap, easy motoring is your priority, purchase price aside of course, you'd be hard-pressed to find something better.

Ben Wagenaar, December 29th 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

I own both a Prius and a Honda Jazz and like both for different reasons. I have driven the Prius across Europe and growing children have been very comfortable in the back, unlike the Jazz which is a rough ride in the back. The Jazz guzzles petrol at high speeds whereas the Prius has consistently delivered great mpg (although it consumes considerably more in the winter when it is cold). My complaint is that the bodywork feels flimsy and when I had an accidental brush with a post in a car park the bill was about 3,000 pounds to repair. Conclusion: cheap to run, expensive to repair.

B Cockell, October 23rd 2008

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

We recently got a T3 Prius as a company car and are delighted with it. Normal use is a 30 minute edge-of-London commute with a mixture of 30MPH and 50MPH roads and we recently did a 500-mile weekend trip. With both myself and my partner driving (she's more cautious as a driver), we're averaging around 59MPG on all types of driving, which I think is excellent. The transmission, equipment, ride, seats, air conditioning and audio are all great. I'd happily recommend it, particularly as a company car or for anyone who wants to take advantage of the London congestion charge exemption.

Neil Weightman, September 1st 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Once you have mastered the start sequesnce and you've got used to the silent running at low speed the Prius is exactly the same as any other auto. I found the ride extremely comfortable and the cabin spacious, the car has more legroom than many cars in the 5 series / E class sector and is more comfortable than most too. The boot space is limited due to the high floor but if you lift the boot floor there is a useful sized cubby hole to store the usual boot fillers, plus you can put valuables in there to keep them well and truly out of sight. The fuel economy is very good and the P11d rate is the lowest possible, I would definately recommend the Prius to anyone renewing thier company car.

Phil Matthews, Greater Manchester, August 28th 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

I changed to Toyota from Mercedes and have found the refinement a giant leap forwards - this car is so smooth and quiet compared to my previous car (ML350). The exterior design is its weakest part, but inside its very smart. Mine looks great in black with black leather interior. No problem with back ache as some have suggested. Equipment is good - excellent sat nav and powerful hi fi, and the numerous items on the big screen are actually pretty useful. The uncluttered dash and digital speedo are fantastic. Boot space is good when using the underfloor space, but a bit shallow for bigger items like a large TV. Economy? Well a tank full takes me 600 miles - the display reads 55 mpg. In fact, half my journey to work uses no petrol at all which makes you feel good. You can't go wrong here - cheap to run, very refined and good to own.

Charles Oliver, August 17th 2008

VVTi T4 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

If you type +prius +tall into google you will find numerous posts on various forums from US owners complaining about backaches that they feel are caused by the seats. You will also find posts from numerous people complaining about how poor the Prius is for tall drivers and how uncomfortable it is if you are tall. Some even voice safety fears re tall drivers. You even have people stating how they have had to remove the standard seats and fitted third party seats to overcome either the backache or the height issue or both. This is absolutely rubbish in a modern car aimed at a global market. With all respects, the Prius might feel a big car in Tokyo but for tall northern Europeans and tall North Americans it simply is too cramped in the driver's seat and the seat is simply too low to step in and out of all the time. Non wonder people are reporting backache problems. It can't be good for your health.

Bob Blackadder, August 10th 2008

VVTi T4 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Chris, I'd be interested to know if you've actually driven a Prius? I have, in fact I've just ordered one. You're right, it is a lot more expensive than a Honda Jazz. Unfortunately, for someone like me, 6'2" and has friends, the Jazz just isn't big enough. How does the Prius compare, price wise, with a similarly specced and sized Focus? Also, consider the fact that the Prius does 50+ mpg on unleaded, which is about 13p a litre cheaper than diesel. I'm not saying that the Prius is the answer, but it's certainly a step in the right direction.

Mark Joseph, West Midlands, August 6th 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Can I just put in a bit of sanity into this discussion - I drive a Honda jazz and get a true 55mpg commuting 50 miles per day mixed town/and main roads. This car costs around £11,000 new compared to the £17,000+ for a Prius, which will buy you a lot of petrol. I have read a lot of mixed road tests and reviews about the Prius, where 'if you drive like a saint you can get over 60mpg' but most people tend to get less than 50mpg. The Prius is just another example of marketing hype over substance - nice one Toyota.

Chris Smith, July 4th 2008

VVTi T3 Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Forget reviews that say this car is not a pleasure to drive - it just depends what type of driving you do. I've just switched to one from an Astra Diesel and for the city commute it's truly relaxing and smooth. It's also no slouch but gives superb economy - I'm getting 50mpg around town. Even out in the country it feels solid and stable but of course it's no go-kart. The best thing about the Prius is the lack of gears to change - who would have thought an automatic could be so economical and so tax efficient for the company driver. Toyota really should make more of this fact. Front and rear leg room is excellent too for its class. The only equipment lacking is folding power mirrors otherwise I can't fault it.

Paul Gander, June 17th 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

Sadly, so many contributors write about this car without having really investigated their claims thoroughly. For instance some claim it does the mpg figure on the USA Prius website--yup it does but that is 48 miles per AMERICAN gallon. Mine does 58mpg on a british gallon. Some claim that we pay twice as much as they do in the USA(God knows how that is a criticism of a car) but in reality we pay £19K of which £3K is Governmet tax for the same as they pay £15K in the USA. However, the Prius is excellent; cheap to run and wholly reliable. Oh, and its petrol engine is totally diferent to the Otto cycle one in a normal car--it uses the Atkinson cycle(which is great in a hybrid)and that leaves dirty little noisy carcenagenic diesels way way behind! Enjoy one until something much better comes along.

Cliff Hanam, June 16th 2008

VVTi T Spirit Hybrid 5dr CVT Auto

I test drove this car for over 4 days and found it completely easy to drive. It's not a car for someone with a lead foot but it did make me change my style of driving to a more relaxed style. I averaged on the 'A' roads 62mpg and 58mpg on the motorways, did quite a few long journeys. I also did two trips to the local tip to see how it coped with a car full of heavy rubbish. To be honest I would never have even looked at this if it wasnt for the fact of the price of diesel, my last car was a Discovery 3 HSE, whilst this is a wonderful car the costs are prohibitive. The kids loved the cars displays showing batteries etc and the rear view camera, they love the idea of being green. So did I order one, YES I did, I will take delivery in July 09, and will look forward to all my motoring costs coming down and over a 3 year period will save significants amount of money. What I would say is look at the car for what it is, is it fast, No, does it do a job, Yes. That job is to ferry people about whilst trying to reduce your overall motoring costs.

Felipe Foy, Berkshire, June 1st 2008