Vauxhall Agila Hatchback Owner reviews

VVT ecoFLEX SE 5dr

I own the Vauxhall Agila 1.2 SE. I have owned this car roughly six months. I upgraded from a Vauxhall Corsa as I needed more space and a bigger engine. Its not the best looking car but does its job well. It is very spacious although I think it could have more gadgets than what you get. It is very good to drive and the steering is pretty pinpoint. It is very nippy on motorways and very good round town as it is quite small. Fuel economy is very good to. It is comfortable at 70 but is abit noisy. The gearbox is however abit clunky. I really enjoy owning this car as it is cheaper on tax and insurance than my old Corsa.

Gareth Samuel, July 23rd 2013

12V Club 5dr [AC]

I wanted a runabout - first car S Type Jaguar. I tried all the small cars on offer and stumbled across the Agila at a Vauxhall dealer. My immediate impression was of more interior room than all the other small cars; plus proper full size supportive seats. It's higher than most small cars and there's no dropping down into the seats which makes entry and exit very good. With pay 50% now and 50% in 12 months the deal was done. I was worried that the 1,000cc engine would be slow, but after 3,000 miles it has now run in well. It likes to rev hard and will easily maintain normal motorway speeds. At first, the gear box was a bit stiff but it is now slick, although the gear lever makes a clunking sound. It handles very well on corners at urban speeds (better than the S Type) and less so over 45mph. The ride is slightly less jiggly than competitors, and there's a huge amount of space with the rear seats folded down, a crafty piece of engineering makes the extended surface flat. However, taken with low insurance costs, Β£35 VED, and 50 mpg, in what is a basic car, makes it streets ahead of the competition. I've no problem with the brakes - mentioned by one other reviewer - indeed they are light and pull the car up very quickly. Finally, the best endorsement is at your local Vauxhall dealer (I have no connection with any of them). Try buying a new one now (January 2009)because the current allocation is almost all sold out.

Timothy Boulding, Surrey, January 14th 2009

12V Club 5dr

Like Nicola (two reviews up) I was given one of these as a 'courtesy' car; never was courtesy so misused. 1)The suspension is appalling, managing to be stiff without being sporty. 2) The steering mushy, verging on the dangerous. 3) The acceleration (I presume I've got the 1 litre petrol) must have a 0-60 stat of 'some times'. I floored it on the motorway, properly buried the foot. It took 9 seconds to go from 60 to 70. 4) I don't think my model has ABS. In fact I'm not sure it has brakes - the discs might be made of cardboard for all the confidence they give you. 5) The gear box is clunky (not smooth as the review on this website states). 6) For a small city car the clutch needs a good boot. Its short travel is also surprising. 7) The boot is a joke. Oh, and the stereo is dire, and the driving position is uncomfortable, but the latter might be a side effect of being over 5 foot tall.

Matthew Grime, December 8th 2008

i 16V 5dr

the heating in this car is not good enough and the fan is not powerful enough to defrost the windscreen it takes an age to warm up and you normally reach the destination by the time the car warms up

danny potts, tyne & wear, October 30th 2008

16V Club 5dr [AC]

I had this car as a courtesy car whilst my Golf was in the bodyshop and I have to say it was a huge let down and I'm surprised that it made it passed prototype and into production. For a light car it feels very heavy and is difficult to drive, if you try to take a corner at more than 20MPH it feels as though the car will go over. It has very poor grip on the road and you constantly have to correct the steering wheel to stay in lane. The gear stick is positioned so that changing gear is a chore and getting it into 5th has given me a bad shoulder! Pull off and getting up to speed is also poor and I wonder if I'd have been better taking a ride with Fred Flintstone. The shape of the car is not only unattractive it's also impossible when under 5'3'' to see the end of the bonnet. As for the wing mirrors, they are huge slabs, yet no matter how they are positioned you still don't get an adequate view of the road behind. To top it all off it isn't as good on fuel as you'd hope for a small, light car. In summary, I will not be buying this car at any point in the future.

Nicola Morgan, Leicestershire, August 6th 2008

16V Design 5dr

I have an Agila 1.2 Design as a company car and I think its absolutly great. Its nippy around town and good on the fuel. My last company car was the Astra 5Dr SXi 1.7 diesel. Whist this car lacks the pace on the motorway compared to the oil burner, It more than makes up for that in fun and, if you believe it, economy too. I love it, but I can see its shortcommings. Cabin materials are a bit below spec, and it can be a bit vaigue on the contry roads. I have however just ordered my next one.

Nicholas Smith, July 17th 2008

i 16V 5dr

I've had my Agila since 2002 and it's a good little car, practical, roomy for a tall driver and two big teenage kids. Generally a very good runner and reliable with it. The folding back seat is the best bit, I regularly transport large dogs with ease and have got washing machines in the back before now very easily. I'd recommend them to anyone. Downsides - Motorway driving - you get blown about a bit so you do need to keep a firm grip of the steering wheel & it doesn't go at its best at speed. It is easy to 'lose' vehicles in the strut between the windscreen & the drivers & passenger side windows. The underseat drawers have a nasty habit of shooting out and hittig you in the back of the calf if you have to stop suddenly and the only other problem I've had is that the rubber seal has gone on the windscreen twice in just over a year - despite being repaired & maintained by my local main Vauxhall dealer!

Melanie Little, May 9th 2008

i 12V Expression 5dr

Before I bought this car my 20-ish old offspring said 'Don't buy that, you'll look like Postman Pat with windows!'. Now I have it, I have to book my time with it as they are always driving it. Economical, easy to park, roomy luggage space with the seats down(more than my husband's Astra). Goes 70 on the motorway and I don't like speeding fines so wouldn't want to do more. I love it. When I trade it in I'll be getting another one just like it (only newer).

Marion Swinerd, Hants, December 19th 2007

i 12V 5dr

This is my very first car and I love it. Im not a car person but as soon as I saw it I wanted it.When I told my husband what I had gone out and bought he didnt look to impressed !! But even he has admitted that its a really good little car...good on unleaded...and can be parked anywhere.Ive done 70 down the motorway in "her" and being a new driver only since July it didnt worry me.Not noticed any rattles or strange noises. She wasnt bought from new shes 2nd hand and 7 years old. Oh and shes bright red as well so there is no chance of anyone trying to steal her.I take my grand daughter out in it and if I didnt think she was safe I wouldnt.Overall an Agila is a good just passed your test car but you might just stick with them for years I know I will.

Elaine Todd, Merseyside, September 22nd 2007

i 12V Expression 5dr

I don't really love cars like some men do. To me they are just a mode of transport but my ancient Escort had had its day and I went in search of replacement car. I spent a good while trudging around secondhand dealers and drove a few test cars - none of which inspired me. Then my partner and I chanced upon the Agila. I took to it instantly - it lacked street cred so it would not be driven from hell to hackney by my teenage children. The space inside with the seats down is enormous - a must as we carry a lot of waste to the recycling tip - and with seats up there is still ample room for shopping. The seats are very comfortable, it is easy to drive and goes along the motorway at a steady 65mph with no trouble. It is cheap to tax insure and run. I love it, as does my partner.

Robert Hatch, Devon, July 11th 2007

i 16V Club 5dr

After my car was stolen (an Audi A4), I purchased a car that basically no boy racer would steal - the Vauxhall Agila! I've had it for three years and I like its cheap tax and good fuel economy. I fill the petrol tank and it keeps me going for a month. I have had a few problems of late, but that's because it is six years old, so I'm part-exchanging it shortly. Other than looking like Postman Pat at the wheel, it's economical, small enough to park where most gas-guzzlers can't, has cheap tax, cheap insurance and is a good general runabout. The only fault is that it is not good on a motorway - it just hasn't got the kick in it when overtaking. On a windy day it's wobbly, too. However it's a good, family-friendly car. It's roomy for the kids, and there's plenty of room in the back. The boot with the seats down is big. I have fitted all sorts in my boot - it's bigger than it seems. I would recommend one (just not in red, like Postman Pat!).

sarah hall, March 29th 2007

i 16V 5dr

The AGILA - it really is a case of 'Horses for courses'. My wife absolutely loves it. It's compact, has a good, high seating position for 2 + 2 in comfort, (2 + 3 if they're small) and the other day we even took a large armchair down to the local recycling centre - try doing that in many larger 'family' cars! Handling is acceptable, all-round visibility is excellent and around town it's nippy. And I never mind driving the Agila even though I drive 30k miles a year in a Skoda Octavia L&K (my third - and with the 2.0 diesel engine you don't get performance much better than that) But… the Agila is not a car for very long runs or for more than the occasional motorway trip. It can hold its own on the motorway but that's not its forte. With the 1.2 Corsa engine (the chain-driven cam is a plus!) overall it’s a very acceptable compromise of overall performance and economy. As the Salesman said, if only people would give it a try mostly they'd be pleasantly surprised. We were - although my driving enjoyment is marred by the fact we don't have either the optional driver's seat height adjustment or steering column adjustment - which anyone over 5ft 2 inches needs.

Peter Hazael, West Sussex, February 23rd 2007

i 16V Design [80] 5dr

I had this car as a courtesy car and it is rubbish. This car has the worst cabin. it is very ugly and it is very slow . not to my taste any day . only for the old .

Dean Endicott, October 31st 2006

i 12V Expression 5dr

A 5 door car with a recognised brand badge on the bonnet for less than Β£6,000. (We paid less than Β£5,000 for ours brand new.) With the rear seats down it is a versatile load carrier. The Agila feels solid, well screwed together and good quality. The MPV high driving position is excellent, rear seat passengers sit even higher and have excellent visibility. The 1 litre engine is fine for town driving and achieves around 40mpg. It is basic - power steering, electric mirrors and an air bag are the only significant standard spec items. It represents great value for money, is fun to drive (in town) and easy to park and maneouvre. After three and half years we still enjoy our Agila.

RIC WEST, west sussex, September 27th 2006

i 16V Enjoy [80] 5dr

This car is awfull in every repect. The car is noisy and not at all enjoyable to drive. The body roll is awfull. The MPG is not as good as advertised ( 1.2 L engine got 34 MPG on the motorway!!) and the depreciation outways the cheap to buy price. The cabin is spacious but so are other rivals and versitility is not that great. The cabin quality is awfull when driving the trim rattles adding to the already bad road noise. I cannot see any reason to buy this car at all.

Stirling Morrison, July 12th 2006

i 16V Design [80] 5dr

This woman driver and her dog and her 6ft 4in husband all love the Agila. Agila can be noisy, solution turn up the radio/cd. Doesn't like pot holes in the road, loves squeezing into tight parking spaces, doesn't mind being overtaken by gas guzzlers because it can also overtake very well when required. If you want extra's tell your garage to order from production and haggle over deal - I saved Β£600 by shopping around. I used to have a Meriva Enjoy and miss the 1.6 engine but Agila 1.2 is cheaper on insurance, fuel and emissions

maureen healy, January 26th 2006

i 12V 5dr

I have owned my Agila from new for three years now, and I love it. It has taken me all over the country quite happily, plodding along at 70mph on motorways and occasionally 80mph. I find it brilliant to park and can fit all my camping gear in the back when the seats are down. It is also quite happy to carry my mother's disabled scooter and one seated passenger in the back, along with luggage for holidays. It completely covers my transport needs, and is cheap to insure.

MELODY TANNER, SUSSEX, January 19th 2006

i 16V 5dr

I love this car! It has great visibility, which is fab if you are as nosy as I am. It can be parked in very small spaces, too. The kids love being able to see everything as we go along. Yes, it's not fast, but I have trundled up and down the M1 at 70mph quite happily. If you want to go fast, buy something else. If you want comfort and economy and a a great view, you can't do better than this.

Lindsey Riley, Derbyshire, January 15th 2006

i 12V Expression 5dr

I only took this car for a test run and that was enough for me. I must agree that it is very roomy inside the cabin as myself and husband are quite tall and plenty of room in the back for the children. The road handling and noise was a bit too much for my liking, you felt every bump and the noise inside was quite deafening. We decided not to buy this particular model.

Michele Jones, August 25th 2005

i 16V Design [80] 5dr

I have owned this car since early 2002. In three years, I have a minor problem with the rear door lock jamming and a coolant leak. Other than that, it has been completely reliable. I thought the review on here was a bit hash. It's true that out on the motorway it is in need of more power. I have the 1.2 and would suggest this is a minimum engine size to get. In fourth there is good power but this tends to be not a cruising gear after 50mph. In fifth, it is a case of more gentle acceleration. I have seen this car commonly in the countryside, the four doors and ample room for shopping even high milk churns, make this more than just a city car. On the motorway, with your foot down hard, it can be thirsty - consider the shape and you can easily imagine why. Keep to 60mph and it is plenty economical enough. For this reason, I might dismiss this car for someone who wants something cheap and does a lot of motorway miles. If you're a looking for a lot of car for not a lot of money, then I think this is the pick of the bunch. I would say if you are bigger than average, then it is ideal. The high seating also is suitable for the older driver.

tyger armstrong, August 7th 2005