i Expression 5dr

I have a Zafira life on a 07 plate and its been a pleasure to drive although I have had nothing but problems with the water system on it leading to it overheating first the thermostat went then the rad then the new one leaked at the plastic joins to add a hose split on the M5 blowing the head gasket and some of the sensors and needing to be re skimmed it has also wrecked the bottom end forcing me to buy a new car :( . I only had it 3 years and its cost over Β£2000 to keep it on the road which is a shame as its great to drive and comfy shame they didn't bother with a temperature gauge would have saved me a fortune :( also no spare wheel is stupid I have to carry one around which cuts luggage space down and fills the space in the boot with 7 seats up leave me nowhere to put the pushchair! Also I took it to a a vauxall garage to have it checked when the engine management light came on they advised me it needed Β£475.00 of work in field remedies but I later took it to a independent garage who showed me it was the knock sensor that had tripped it and it just needed that NOT the Β£100's Vauxhall claimed at all :/. great car if you can keep it running but NEVER buy one without a temp gauge seems to be the thing :(.

Sarah Ward, August 25th 2013

CDTi ecoFLEX Design [110] 5dr

Had one of these as a hire car this last week and it reminded me about all that's bad about Vauxhall. Still after all these years they don't know what a human being looks like!! So here's the bad bits:- Throttle is in the wrong place, under the arch of the foot! Only half a foot rest is provided Lumbar support adjustment is in the wrong place - somebody didn't tell them where the lumbar part of the spine is. The grip on the tailgate pull handle (for closing) is at the wrong angle - so you can't grip it well. The torque output from the engine is like riding a rollercoaster - you never know what it'll give you. Low down it's dead, then it gives a big shove then it fumbles about wondering what to do. The dead part reminds me of the turbo lag you used to get on Montego diesels!! The spacing from 1st to 2nd is too large - build up speed in 1st only to lose any torque once changed to 2nd. Gearshift is too stiff Somebody put a 12volt socket under the handbrake so you rap your knuckles on your phone charger plug - genius! Brake feel is awful - the pedal is stiff, so you have no sensation of the pressure build up and the initial slack you normally have to take up so the effect is the passenger's head on the dashboard as you suddenly say to yourself "oh there they are!". Those stupid flappy indicator stalks - thank god they got rid of them in the Insignia and Zafira Tourer Radio reception performance worse than a 7 year old Kenwood head unit Good bits:- We didn't breakdo

Steve Garrett, County Durham, August 15th 2013

i Life 5dr [AC]

After having several larger engined prestige cars I wanted a car that was just that: a car. Not a status symbol, not a racing machine, just a practical family car. Step up this basic trim 1.6i Life Zafira... It's comfy, compliant and the kids love it! They love the extra seats, the extra space and being able to have their friends in it. I love the fact it's easy to drive, simple to use and gimmick free. It is good around town, on the school run and even does longer journeys perfectly well. It's no outside lane monster - leave that to others. It's a great simple car and I for one would recommend to anyone looking for a decent, value for money car that they seek out this model. No paying for needless extras. Just a good car. Simples!

James Colvin, Nottinghamshire, October 25th 2012

CDTi Design [120] 5dr

Bought this here in Spain in Dec 2005 (badged as Opel) as a family car to do longer journeys and more miles and in the beginning it was fantastic. A pleasure to drive, solid feel, plenty or torque and generally nice feel with plenty of space for luggage assuming the 7 seats arent all up. Three years into it and out of guarantee and the problems started. First the alternator went (and the battery with it). Apparently a common fault in these, with the "toy" alternator they used to use. Later after a long journey the EGR went. The car with any fault like this uses reduced power as if the turbo wasnt working. Got that fixed and then the turbo went. After the turbo it was the aircon compressorΒ΄s turn. Then the clutch went (2000 euros here). And now soemthing else has gone on it. I have been trying to sell it for 2 years but everytime someone is interested soemthing else goes wrong and I miss the sale. Will try soemthing else next time I think, a lot of these problems are recurring on Zafiras, I wonder though whether the petrol engines fair better?

Jose Dominguez, October 17th 2012

i Design 5dr

Bought a 1 year 1.8vvt design for Β£9200-so dont buy new! Comfy & handles well, cabin feels nicely screwed together but even though it 2nd top of the range it hasnt much kit-no cruise control, blu tooth or ipod connection (if the manual is to be believed). I bought it as a large estate rather than full time 7 seater and when there are extra kids they fit in the back no problem. Performance is what i expected (average) but why no 6th gear?? 80mph is 4000rpm!!!!! to make matters worse the shift between 1 & 2 is notchey. If you can afford it go for the 150bhp diesel, more torque & that 6 speed. However still a cracking car for the money.

adrian jenkins, tyne & wear , March 26th 2012

CDTi Club [120] 5dr

had this car for nearly 6 months now, and it's been fantastic. it replaced our old shaped Zafira 2.0d which we'd had for nearly 5 years and clocked up 250,000 miles on! The new car is quieter, more economical, more refined, more spacious (which seems to be due to thinner seats) and with the glass roof option, plenty of storage space with the row of drop down cubby holes in the roof. MPG is much higher than the other car, more advanced engine and 6 speed gearbox helps I guess. the ride is softer which I prefer, but not too soft. Holds the road well and on long journeys of which we do a lot, it's a joy. Love the 7 seat option and the space when the seats are down. I've read all the reports about EGRs, DPFs ALTs Turbos etc. So far no problems. A common problem on these cars is the emission pipe from the DPF breaks at the bottom of the bulkhead where the metal pipe joins a plastic pipe. This will cause the engine warning light to illuminate. Easy fix with a length of pipe and two hose clips. I work as a mechanic so an easy fix for me. Only other gripes are the engine is a bit rough and noisy on idle and around town, but once cruising it's fine. Would love proper cup holders in the front also. Haven't had less than 44mpg. We are driving to the UK from southern Spain in a few weeks so will be interested to see what mpg we get then. First car I've ever had with cruise control, it's a joy and no longer get the dead right leg after long journeys!

S Penney, Granada, February 25th 2012

i Club 5dr

This has been an excellent family car for us over the last 4 years. I hate to tempt fate but we have had no trouble with it at all, except for someone stealing the spare wheel which is clamped under the car (we've had a lock installed now). Whilst it won't turn heads, it looks better than most in this category, is enjoyable enough to drive and comfortable on long journeys. The flexible seat configurations are easy to operate for when we need to cram in kids, ourselves and the grandparents. Servicing has been fairly cheap, and given that I bought it at 1 year old for just over Β£9k 4 years ago I won't be too hammered on depreciation. Our friends own one also and have been similarly impressed.

Edward Foster, Middlesex, January 23rd 2012

i Breeze 5dr

Multiple new alternators, new starter motor, new door AND new engine. Need I say more? I don't know the MPG, but this app is forcing me to put in a figure.

Damien McCormack, Surrey, January 9th 2012

CDTi Design [150] 5dr [Euro 4]

I bought the 1.9cdti 150bhp Enjoy (Swedish ) Model from new in October 2006. Initially I enjoyed the handling and general ownership of the vehicle. There is no doubt the high riding position, flexible seating and Astra normal car handling is very rewarding, however, the honeymoon is soon over after just a few months. I must say I have been very dissapointed by the quality of build of the diesel 1.9cdti engine. I have had the EGR valave , turbo and alternator replaced in the first two years of ownership and now having done 100k miles with full service with mainly motorway miles it now looks the Dual Mass flwheel has gone. Added to that I know have paint bubbling up on the drivers side sill. Overall, I would not recommend the CDTI engine models and would be reluctant to recommend the Zafira at all.

Allan Harvey, Sormlands, July 27th 2011

Di Elegance 5dr

Had this car for 5 years. It's been fantastic. Only failed to start once which was quickly sorted out by the garage we bought it from. Only costs incurred are a new battery, 4 tires and servicing. Regularly drive long journeys, 300+ miles or more and it never misses a beat. On the down side, it is a bit noisy and the acceleration below 2000rpm is poor. It also takes an age to warm up in the winter. The ride is a little hard, but road holding is good. Love the space when all the seats are folded away, we did a trip to Ikea recently and was amazed that we got everything in the car. I was half expecting to have to pay to have the stuff delivered. We are about to trade in for a 2008 Zafira diesel, 150. I've read some of the reviews on here, and noted a lot of problems regarding the DPF and EGR valve. But getting a great deal on the new car so will take the plunge.

S Penney, Granada, May 25th 2011

CDTi SRi [150] 5dr [Euro 4]

Having bought this car when it was a year old we have poured money away on repairs in the last 3 years and will be glad to see the back of it!- it has had 3 replacement egr valves,a gearstick cable, 2 replacement alternators and in the last fortnight has had a manifold, another egr valve and a gearbox!! only one of the alternators was replaced under warranty as was the first of the egr valves. You only have to google vauxhall faults to see that these are common faults that have cropped up time and time again and they aren't cheap parts to replace. Vauxhall customer service haven't been very helpful so I'm sure you may think this is sour grapes but when you have a car that suddenly loses power on the motorway or can't pull out of a junction without risking your life when the power fails you will know how dangerous this car can be. having to always splash out on diagnostics at Β£70 a shot for them to not identify the problem fully is also poor service from a vauxhall dealership - so far we've paid out 3 times in the last 2 months for these and we even told the dealership we thought there was a gearbox problem and the diagnostics failed to pick it up. If you don't have a full vauxhall service history they will not help with costs. This is on a 4 year old car with only 45,000 miles on the clock .....

Tammy Lilley, south yorkshire, May 9th 2011

DTi Elegance 5dr

This is my second one My first one was a 2000 model 2.0 DTI and was brilliant we bout it in 2005 with 100,000 miles and the only major repair was the clutch and part of the gearbox costing Β£1500 but otherwise was a perfect car I sold in 2010 with 173,000 on the clock and bought a 2003 DTI model with 75,000 on the clock its been running fine and we are dead happy with it and would recommend it any day but beware my son had a 1.6 petrol model witch cost a fortune to run and caused no end of problems so avoid petrol models and go for the DTI

Jonathan adler, Gateshead, April 11th 2011

CDTi ecoFLEX Excite [110] 5dr

we got this car three weeks ago and we are happy we did we have had no problims with it at all its fast fun to drive prictical lots of gagets i personily live the heated seats and the auto lights it is very easy to drive and the cruse control is really good its range is 10-120 of corse i don't do 120 im sensable the running costs are good we have a deasil and we get about 33 mpg around the town out of town i got it up to 56 mpg but that was pusing it there is so much room so its not hard to get comfy there is plenty of room in the boot even with the two back seats up the drivers arm rest is handy but can sometimes get in the way when using the handbreak at traficc lights but there is good storage space in the armrest plus the seats have so meny ajustments hight tilt lumbar ect the rain senisng wipers are good but can be ocward to set gear changes are good and with the additional 6th gear its even better also when parking its very easy with the parking sensors frount and rear and the bigger wing mirror's all in all i think this is a great family car and great value for money and i would defonitley recomens it to anyone. ps please forgive the bad spelling

Matthew Waterworth, down, March 12th 2011

CDTi Design [120] 5dr

I have driven a Zafira from new, since September 2005, and have put over 85k miles on the thing with little problems throughout. The car has taken me to all corners of Europe on business and although never the most comfortable of drives, it has more than held its own on roads of ever varying quality. Amongst the likes is the load carrying capability (especially with the centre-row seats folded down) and the average return across it's life of in excess of 53MPG. Dislikes may seem petty, but a distinct lack of cabin storage space has been a constant bugbear, a rattle from new within the dashboard has never been rectified despite many visits to the dealers and a non-existent windscreen demist (15 minutes to clear slight fogging!). The biggest dislike has to be the very poor forward visibility because of the A-pillars that intrude. Very dangerous. Overall a good, reliable workhorse that I am going to miss, albeit grudgingly.

Neil Oakshott, West Midlands, February 16th 2009

i SRi 5dr

I bought a 57 plate 1.8SRI and i am very pleased so far. (2 weeks) It feels nice to drive, has enough power for the size of the car. It is vauxhall quality inside so nice enough but not nice as previous golf/saab/mazda6. I like the 7 seat system though is a pain to have to undo the child seat to slide the bench forward to raise the rear seats. I will rarly use the rear seats but its a nice option to have. My biggest disapointment with this car is the short gearing. Why does it not have a 6th gear?? the 2.2SRI does. This needs it. At motorway speeds i find myself checking to make sure i am in 5th. Push it slightly above and it is very loud. So far i like it alot though and we mainly use it round town. We have a 4 hour + trip to Cornwall later this month so maybe i will report back after that. Might buy some ear plugs for that drive!

Tim Gurney, beds, February 3rd 2009

CDTi Design [150] 5dr [Euro 4]

Had this car 18 months, 15,000 miles now, having bought this as a one year old car. As a one year old, the rather savage early depreciation works for the Buyer - also tried Mazda 5 (too small), Verso (too small), Touran (too dull/expensive) and C4 Picasso (very good, but couldn't get comfortable). Plus points - strong engine above ~1800 rpm, economical (average 46mpg, best 53, worst 38), good equipement list, firm ride (can be too firm though), good boot space, reasonable servicing costs, good front seats (if you fit), I think it looks good not so good points - performance on motorway can be lethargic if traffic slows, poor spare wheel security (my second Zafira, both have had wheels stolen), needs better in cabin storage, ESP only standard on 150 model, and rear seat layout not as practical as rivals So I'd recomend this if buying second hand, as excellent value. Generally takes my family and all stuff well (though in common with most MPVs, 3 child seats will be a problem!), good performance/economy balance. Had no problems with it, and seem to have a good local dealer (Ely). MPVs are never going to be exciting, but this one has strong performance, reasonable looks,and a sport-ish ride. The sport seats won't suit anyone of a (ahem) large berth, and the ride is a little firm for a family car. Finally, my 4 year old son loves the sport button - it's undoutbly a frivolity in an MPV, but one that will appeal to kids of all ages

Nick Gammon, Cambridge, January 16th 2009

CDTi Design [120] 5dr [Euro 4]

Please see my input on 14/05/08. Well after another 2 trips into the dealers to sort out DPF, it was taken in over Christmas 2008 to replace the turbo, DPF and front exhaust system to rectify problem, as DPF was regenerating everyday. Previous problems now sorted at Vauxhall expense buy at time of going back to dealer had replaced 4th set of tyres on the front having only done 33000 miles! Car vears off to the left as soon as you realase steeing wheel and both front tyres were warn right down on the inside. Last set put on 4 months ago! Was tolds that it is camber of the road and soft tyres as everything is set true on steerin g and tracking. Anyway dealer had it again over New Year to sort out but now has come back with the steering wheel having to be turned slightly right of centre to keep car in a straight line! So far DPF is regenerating and not causing any problems but still not getting Coil lightr on dashboard to warn me of regeneration as told in handbook. But then you, what you never had you don't miss. Was thinking of trading in for a C-Max but they appear not to be very good either. Anyone know of any good MPV's?

Justin Turner, Nottinghamshire, January 14th 2009

i Club 5dr [AC]

Car is an 06 reg 1.6 Club. Was back to the dealer within a week of taking delivery. Strange squealing noise comes from the engine at around 40, 50, 60 & 70 mph. This problem has never been sorted out and is still there - it's not a turbo so can't be that. The radio packed up and had to be replaced too. It's back at the dealer again as the Engine Management light came on and suffered loss of power. No heat from the heater (previously blamed the cold weather last year when I mentioned this). No controls work on the steering wheel, including the horn. Also front passengers footwell is wet. Find it is getting thirstier and thirstier - my old aircooled VW camper is better on the fuel economy! Have been told it needs a new thermostat apparently which is on back order and will take a week to arrive, thankfully have been given a loan car. Have previously owned many Vauxhalls, in fact my wife's first car was a Viva many years ago. We thought that the Zafira would be a good bet because of the seating and having 4 children. Will I replace it with another in April when this one has to go back as it's a Mobility car? No I don't think I will.

James Frank, January 10th 2009

DTi Comfort 5dr

I have had this car just a little over 7 years, bought it when it was 11months old. Overall it has been an excellent choice, much better than the variety of Fords I had previously owned. It has now done 91,000 and has just needed a replacement exhaust (not bad going), and now having the power steering pump replaced. Bodywork is still excellent at just over eight years old. On a long journey I recently managed to get 71miles per gallon when travelling at a steady 65mph. How many cars will do that? It does require a little oil each month, but thats to be expected with diesel engines - only uses about 2 litres a year. Seating options excellent although boot space limited if using all seven seats. All in all, a very good buy. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Leann Young, January 5th 2009

CDTi Design [150] 5dr [Euro 4]

Check the spare wheel. It is easy to steal. Mine was stolen within a couple of months of buying. "My" thieves stole the cage that sits under the chassis along with the spare. I got a puncture and, oh, where's my spare? Nobody will tell you this in advance but it is a well-known design fault if you google this. Check the spare wheel and decide how to secure it. By the way, the car is great.

Robert Cormican, December 30th 2008