TDI Sport 3dr

Sorry Whatcar but I do disagree with your review. Having owned this vehicle for a week I must write a very different review. Having switched from a bigger Tiguan I was apprehensive about the change. However I am very impressed with this car. The looks of the car won me over but had if I listened too much to the pro review I wouldn't have bought the car. In my view the driving experience is excellent, believe you me the condition of the Bedfordshire lanes where I live is a true test of most cars. Economy is fantastic. Yes rear space is compromised but at 6ft 4ins I can certainly get in there along with my grandson and his large car seat; the car is certainly not for 3 adults though. Front space is excellent and provides an excellent driving position. Instrumentation is great and doesn't require the normal reference sessions to the manual. I love the the retro looks of the car with the external classic beetle curves, the wheels and internal classic beetle features of the dials to the top of the dash, the handles to assist the exit from the rear from the car, the holders on doors- I could go on but I won't I haven't always agreed with VW and had a bad experience with a golf but well done VW. This is probably your best kept secret which a reader review is letting out. Well done also to Lancaster VW in Letchworth who undoubtedly did me a fair deal and got the customer care spot on.

Ian Clift, July 26th 2014

3dr

This is the 5 beetle I have had and its my favourite one of them all, it's a navy blue with 18inch alloys, sunroof ect very nice spec. All of my beetles have been the 2litre version which are the most responsive and powerful however they aren't the cheapest car to run but it's worth it :-) Its a car you either love or hate and I love it! Its very comfortable and great at going round corners even at high speeds, it gets alot alot of attention everywhere you go as there isn't all that many on our roads over here in N.I. My advice is if you really want one just get it and don't let anyone put you off, you won't regret your purchase. If you want a better performance go for the 2litre, if your not fussed about that then a 1.4 or 1.6 might be for you and if you want really good economy go for the 1.9 disel! I hope this review has been helpful and good luck with happy driving :-)

Craig Crawford, down, March 19th 2012

3dr

The Beetle is the coolest car I've ever owned, and I love it. So does my 20 year old daughter, so we fight over it. Its very posh, and I feel very safe in it. It makes you drive carefully, but thats no bad thing. I just wish I could have afforded the cabriolet. The only downside is that only small people can sit comfortably in the back, and I hadn't realised that, but most of the time you're on your own anyway.

Liz Banyard, WARWICKSHIRE, June 14th 2008

TDi 3dr

Do people not test drive cars before they buy them? Yes space in the back is limited and the boot may be a tad small, but if you want practical buy a golf. A beetle is a statement. Style over function. This is our first car as a combined purchase (VW Beetle TDi (57) extras: alloys and cd changer), selling a VW Polo 1.4TDI (53) and Vauxhall Corsa 1.3 CDTi (06). We opted for the TDi as i do an hour commute each way, so economy is pretty important, mind you i'm pretty heavy on the right foot, plus i've had the engine chipped giving 140 bhp instead of the standard 105 bhp. Now it drives well, with really safe overtaking acceleration and lots of torque. Fuel economy hasn't suffered, still getting at least 50-55 mpg. Air-con is great, gets left on 24/7. Visibility was testing at the beginning but its fine now, no different to driving a long slung 2 seater really. Love it and haven't looked back, though 4 months in and 9000 miles, isn't long! As a rugby playing male whose 6' 1" i have to say i do get some strange looks by others, but who cares. However i haven't got a flower in the front, i've opted to use it as a pen holder instead!!

Daniel Mann, Hampshire, April 4th 2008

3dr

I have owned this car since September 2007, initially I loved it and everything about it but then the realisation set in that this is one expensive car to run. Β£20 gets you just under half a tank of petrol which doesn't even last a week - considering this is only a 1.4 its a very thirsty car. To tax it you are looking at Β£90 for six months, considering I also drive an Ibiza FR 1.9 which only costs Β£60 its a bit of a mickey take. Unfortunately I am selling the car as its just far to costly, luckily its still in its waranty so I have yet to find out the servicing costs! Its a shame really as the car looks amazing inside and out and you really do get some admirable looks which I will miss when I get my new car.

Kate Murphy, Cheshire, March 4th 2008

TDi 3dr

I have had two beetle TDi's and loved them both. They are very nice to drive and you feel safe in them. The problem is the service from customer services HQ, my second one not even a year old had problems and we were made to transport the car accross the country it took VW almost 3 months to decide whether it was covered by the warranty and they had the car for at least a month. A courtesy car wasn't offered, all in all it took six months to sort out and a Β£3500 insurance claim. I was forced to purchase another car to use meanwhile having to pay finance and depreciation on another as VW wouldn't make a decision. This was my seventh VW in 8 yrs, in fact the only Marque I had ever owned all in manufacturers waranty. I will never ever buy another VW and be warned Audi drivers as its the same customer services. You cost me vast quantities of money this year.

Thomas Cornwallis, London, February 5th 2008

3dr

I have owned this 2 lite auto beetle 2001 model for just over a month, it is great to drive and looks good but am changing it at the end o the week as it is very expenceive to drive only getting about 28/30 miles to Β£10 worth of petrol as i do about 20 odd miles per day it is costing me a fortune sad to see it go because i do love it has anyone else had this problem ?

Mandy Poole, December 3rd 2007

3dr

I have had this car for 2 years now and I abolutely love it. I have never had any problems with it.The back seats are very small and storage is not fantastic, but I i did not buy it for that,and the front is very spacious(then again I am 5"5).It is great fun to drive,very quick and nippy.I have so much fun in it.I would reccomend to people who want a fun little car,but nt if you're looking for storage!

Sarah Aksland, Greater London, November 22nd 2007

3dr

I have just got this car - so haven't really had to time to do any kind of rating - but will get back on here once I have a little more experience in it!! I just need one thing aswered where is the bonnet catch - need to look at oil levels etc and can't for the life of me see it in mine - blonde moments!!!

Lauren Grinyer, New Eltham, November 20th 2007

3dr

We have just traded our 1.4litre (25000 miles) 04 Bug for a brand new 5dr Corsa Design CDTi. The main reason we got rid of the Bug was, as well as being thirsty on fuel, the car was guzzling extremely high volumes of oil. On average, it needed a top up every 800-1000 miles. The strange thing was, it didn't tell you on the dashboard that the engine was almost dry of the stuff. VW said this was 'normal consumption'and nothing to worry about! Aye right, after the 3yr warranty expired we chucked it. We bought the Beetle for the fun factor and this we got. But beware of it's inpracticality as a family car although we knew this already when we bought it. The Beetle did get the looks & smiles of approval from other motorists and pedestrians alike and this we'll miss. Keep in mind this is only my opinion and I really didn't want to part with the car.

Andrew Conway, Ayrshire, November 7th 2007

3dr [LHD]

I own a 2000 left-hand-drive new Beetle, which I have been running in the UK, Italy and Spain for the past six years, with very few problems and only yearly services. It's a fun car to drive and as the driver I am happy. However, the back seats are for 'small' people as the slope of the back window gives anyone over 5ft 7in tall neck-ache! I have also experienced one reviewer's problem with the electric windows and have now had to replace the switch twice at €200 a time, plus a further €34.00 for the driver control switch. I gather from my mechanic that this is a well-known fault on all late models of VW and Audi... you'd think they would have fixed it by now!

Jacqueline Crawford, Malaga, July 14th 2007

T 3dr

I have had my bug for 3 1/2 yrs, it's an 03 plate and I still love to drive it anywhere, anytime. It is alot of fun and is so responsive. The sound of the turbo whistling when accelerating is ace. It's not been without it's troubles tho'!!! I have had a couple of niggling problems, one with the drivers side electric window jamming open, about 2/3rds closed. I took it back 3 times under warranty then the 4th time out of warranty, but VW didn't charge me for eventually fixing it. A faulty rear brake lamp was also a problem and was fixed under warranty at 3rd time. However the biggest blow was I have had 2 seperate fuel injectors fail, both out of warranty, 6 months apart. Apparently very unusual! That was very expensive to fix, VW mechanic hourly rates are a disgrace. But I still have the car and plan to have it for a few more years, tho' I shall be using my local 1/2 price mechanic. It's not the most practical for a family, but fine for me. It would have been good if it had a cd player, but I get by with my mp3 adaptor in the tape drive. The heated seats are nice in the winter, air con good in summer, tho' I don't use air con so much, it drinks petrol faster! Sun roof is more economical to use. I don't have a problem with visibility or parking, I have reversing sensors. It's fun getting other bug drivers to wave and surprising other drivers with my acceleration and speed! It's a fun, solid, & fairly reliable car.

Alan Clark, June 22nd 2007

Luna 3dr

This has been my first car but i would say it is better suited to more experienced drivers! Mine is a 1.6 Luna and is on an 06 plate, making it the newer of the two models. It is a really nice car to drive, very smooth and has a great deal of posing value! The general look of it is very impressive, the sterio system is great with the little speakers at the front. There are significant draw back to the limited view from either end. I have reversed into several things as wel as driving into things as a result of this. The mirrors also give you a limited perspective of the back and at times you have no concept of where your bumper is. The engine is great for around town the exceleration is ok, not great but i think thats down to the weight more than the engine. On the motorway and driving at high speeds it definatly needs another gear because it actually sounds in pain when you reach 80! The MPG is alright, but entirely dependant on how you drive it, i have got 450 miles out of a tank, im not quite sure how because i havent managed it since, but relaistically if you drive conservatively your looking at around 375-425 miles to a tank, but i don't think that this is a particular selling point of this car!

Vicky Jones, Worcestershire, May 17th 2007

3dr

I bought a five year old Beetle, and have had nothing but problems. Apparently its normal for these cars to use oil, but the warning light to indicate that oil is low doesnt come on until its too late. I had to have my whole engine replaced as it was so badly damaged by this. VW did not want to know about it, despite the car being just 3 months over the 5 year warranty! The car has also had a squeaking noise under the bonnet and VW have tried to remedy this 3 times, by replacing various(expensive) belts under the bonnet but its still not fixed. Also the Anti-lock braking is very dodgy - comes on randomly, breaking one side of the car and pulling it about - v unsafe. Overall - I would recommend that people stay well away from this car!!

Krista Shepherd, May 14th 2007

3dr

This is one of the most charismatic cars I have ever owned. Yes, the rear accommodation is limited but not everyone buys a car to transport four people everyday. The driver and front seat passenger have more than enough room in an environment which has real quality. This car feels so solid and so well built. The handling on French country roads (I am a Brit who lives in France) is very secure with a good feel to the steering. The car is quiet, powerful, comfortable and responsive and most importantly distinctive. This is the only car I have ever owned which has the same quality feel as the mid-range Mercedes which I used to drive in the UK (thanks to my employers!). Most importantly, under the skin it is a Golf in party clothes, which means easy servicing, relatively low servicing costs after you leave the VW network and wide availability of spare parts. And yes, we do have a sunflower in the vase on the dashboard!! Would I buy another Beetle - yes, and I hope it will be the cabriolet.

Thomas Dick, February 16th 2007

3dr

We have a 52 plate car that we have had from new. The car has covered 30k miles, mainly short runs with the odd motorway trip. The car has been 100% reliable, build quality good (typical VW, German), dealer service excellent at typical quality car prices. It is a quiet car round town, but at motorway speeds the 1.6 feels like it needs another gear, acceleration from standing is only ok, but once the car is rolling its not too bad. The economy does suffer at higher speeds. Rear seat accomodation is adequate, but more comfortable for kids and the boot space is tight but better than the Mini (which we considered).I did have an Audi TT for a while, and pottering around town they feel very similar, the beetle feeling a lot more spacious (especially headroom) - but visibility is suprisingly as poor. I had a Golf TDI 02 which was better all round car (space, comfort, performance) but as a second car for my wife to run around in, its fine - she loves it! She will probably keep it to be handed down to my daughter - she's not passed her test yet but has got her eye on it!

Mark Jackson, Staffordshire, January 17th 2007

TDi 100 3dr

I bought new, having previously owned a VW Lupo for six years as well as owning Ford XR, RS & Cosworth, Land Rover 90, MGB, so I have a broad band of experiences over 40 years. The Beetle came with alloys and rear sensors, it is perfectly Aerodynamic and instantly recognised by all. The build quality is second to none for a people's car - I drove 500 miles in first two weeks finding it quiet (diesel) and very stable with a wonderful quality feel to all the fittings, the sensors discounting any extremities vision problems. The comfort and reach for the controls is superb, and for security and safety, it has a very good NCAP rating. Fuel consumpion has been 55-60mpg and there's plenty of power for overtaking. It'll take two adults and some medium size baggage, but a standard split rear seat would help. Longlife service makes ownership costs easier and reselling a TDi Beetle should be a formallity as they hold value and are desirable.

ron allen, Cornwall, January 9th 2007

TDi 100 3dr

This is a very chick car with lots of safety equipment and a defined performance. This car although small has a big attitude and road noise can barely be heard. The feul consumption is high and retail price quite low.

Charlotte Blampied, Gloustershire, October 29th 2006

TDi 100 3dr

What was VW thinking with the body shape? The boot is tiny and the back seats only useful for carrying Snow White's associates. This is the first car where the only method of loading shopping is to open the boot and then reach over the parcel shelf to place items in the back seat! Even once the back seats are flat (their permanent state due the hopeless leg/head room) unless you are planning on carrying a large wedge shaped object there is still very little space. Life in the front is a bit better but the dire driving position and the fact that there is no possibility of seeing any corner of the car while manoeuvring don't help. The steering wheel is very low set and does not adjust high enough and due to large gaps between the stops on the seat adjustment it is impossible to get a good driving position. Visibility in this car is bad as you are sitting in the middle of a large dome with only the top 1/3 glazed. The poor interior space is not helped by the fact that the beetle’s dash and steering wheel are covered with a substance that is marginally lest tactile than a McDonald’s carton! Even the flower vase is dysfunctional - at least if it was glass it would make a useful ashtray. I note that some reviewers talk favourably about the ride, handling and speed of the Beetle. Compared to the best front wheel drive cars (Renaultsport Clio, Mk5 Golf GTI) this car is at best mediocre, however this is a vast improvement over the car’s performance in almost any other area.

R Clark, September 12th 2006

3dr

Looks are personal taste but mine still looks superb in techno blue 5 years after buying it. Pearlescent paint looks superb still. Looks popular with the ladies... Lot of character in an era of MPVs and MPV-looking hatches. Fast enough for most driving situations (surprises many other drivers with its pace!), fun to drive (most noticeable when you drive more-ordinary hire cars like Astra/Megane types..), comfortable motorway cruiser, and quite practical - lots of space with seats down. I carry my bike in the back regularly. Only faults in 60000 miles have been indicator failure at 50000 and coolant leak at 57000. Back seats not good if you're 5'7" tall or more. Leather seats in black looks superb and last, aging well. Still drives like day one. No squeaks either as you'd expect from a VW.. VW dealers very ordinary, and expensive. Servicing not cheap (around Β£3-400 each time). 30mpg (driven moderately hard) Will probably keep it for life, maybe as as second car later in life - thought I'd have changed car by now, but since it doesn't do anything wrong and has timeless looks (unlike Golfs/A3s..)why should I?

mo samuels, July 24th 2006