Volkswagen EOS Coupe Owner reviews

TSI 160 Sport 2dr

Wonderful car, beautifully built, comfortable, drives wonderfully and you would never believe it only has a 1.4 engine but unless you have a garage forget it - it leaks even with approved VW sealant on the seals. Over the winter I had to ask my local garage to drill a hole in the spare tyre compartment to drain the water and every time I used it I had to dry off the interior windows before I could use it safely. In the end I decided to give up the pose factor of the wonderful folding roof and sell it. Quality is excellent. Equipment could be better but practicality is poor. It is probably the best looking CC on the market but unless you can keep it under cover and use it only on the days when you can drop the roof, think again

Thomas Dick, Norfolk, May 6th 2013

TSI BlueMotion Tech S 2dr

We love almost everything about this car, the versatility of the folding top, the clever sunroof within the folding roof and regularly argue who will take the EOS! For the two of us we find plenty of room in boot roof up or down (one big & wide suitcase fits in space below roof storage. We have the quiet & smooth gem that is the 1.4 TSi 122hp engine and in Bluemotion so average about 39-40mpg in or local driving (town & A roads) - nearer 44mpg when on longer runs. We looked for and are happy with 16" wheels for a smooth & comfortable ride (wouldn't go beyond 17" wheels). Would love to have the 160 1.4 TSi version for a bit swifter overtaking but will VW do version in Bluemotion for lower CO2 and higher mpg to match the 122 version? And....VW please note: Why does the wind spoiler on top of the windscreen have to be popped up by hand - it should pop up automatically!

David Orr, Somerset, May 9th 2012

TDI Sport 2dr

2010 PLATE,BOUGHT FROM NEW. NICE CAR TO DRIVE , INTERIOR VERY NICE BUT MANY FAULTS STARTER MOTOR BURNT OUT VERY SCARY WITH SMOKE POURING OUT OF BONNET WITHIN FIRST 6 MONTHS,NEXT CAME WATER IN BOOT AREA 2 REPLACEMENT SEALS AND BOOT INTERIORS AS UNDER CARPET WAS COVERED IN GREEN MOULD AND BACK IN AGAIN WITHIN WEEKS AS STILL NOT REPAIRED ITS FULL OF WATER AGAIN AND STARTING TO RUST AT SIDE OF BOOT. LOST ALL CONFIDENCE IN IT, WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS CAR.PITY I AM NOT IN USA WHERE LEMON LAW APPLIES.

karen tickle, lancs, November 22nd 2011

FSI Sport 2dr

I bought this car in September 2007. It was 10 months old and I now know that the previous owner rejected it because of a faulty roof. It is now 2 years old and recurring problems have included roof failure; faulty sensors; faulty windows; leaking doors. The boot also jammed closed on one occasion and its contents had to be emptied through the hatch in the back seat. These faults have caused major problems. On one occasion the roof jammed half way up. It was not driveable and had to be taken away on the back of a truck. I would not recommend this car to anyone. It's lovely to look at, but the recurring problems cause too much inconvenience.

Margo Barr, February 4th 2009

TDI Sport 2dr

The car was purchased in April 08. The roof was leaking from day one, within 6 weeks of owning the car the spare wheel well was found to have two inches of water in. The car was returned for repair. The roof still leaked in exactly the same places and in addition started to leak around the wing mirrors. The roof also rattles and creaks especially during around town driving. Water always runs into the car when opening the door after rain or heavy dew. I was informed by Lindvale that I should keep a cloth in the drivers door bin to wipe the seat dry each time I get into the car! The car had to go back for a third time to have the seals replaced around the wing mirrors and to prevent the passenger door from rattling at any speed. During the first cold snap condensation was dripping off both the sun roof and front screen and took 20 minutes to clear despite mopping up with kitchen towel! Whilst this is a fun car to drive with the roof down, it is an ill conceived car that is riddled with design faults that cannot be rectified. I have now had enough of this car and have approached the dealer about a refund.

john webber, essex, November 17th 2008

TSI Sport 2dr

An update from my previous review... Praise for Heritage VW in Westbury; they understand how to serve the customer with a smile and how to sort things first time. Roof still too noisy for a premium price car...and I am still very grumpy with VW in general for taking two years to fix basic faults. ...but I'm feeling forgiving about that (at the moment) as I've just worked out the cost per mile for this car, including all costs except insurance since I bought it as an ex-demo 28 months and 30,000 miles ago. All costs...give a ppm of...wait for it...only 47.7 pence. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Chris Jones, Wiltshire, November 14th 2008

FSI Sport 2dr

I live in France but work in Geneva in Switzerland. The commute to work includes narrow country roads and motorways, so there is quite a range of conditions for any car to deal with. Since getting the Eos in March 2008 it has been driven and parked in all kinds of weather from rain and snow to hot and dry. My previous car was an Audi quattro. Of course, the Eos does not have the same level of grip but, in any conditions except wet leaves and snow, it is not far off either. So far the only problem with the car was a dud battery which was replaced with no fuss by the local VW dealer but needed a day for them to recalibrate all the electronics. Contrary to other reviews there have not been any problems with leaks, rattles, warning lights etc. Although it has only the 2 litre 150 hp engine, the car is entertaining to drive on small roads and quiet and relaxed on motorways. Surprisingly for a convertible, the car is quite practical as it can accomodate 4 adults and their luggage - although with the roof down there is only a small slot to squeeze bags into the boot, which means you do have to raise the roof to get at the luggage. The main drawback with the car has been to stop the children asking for the roof to be raised and lowered every 5 minutes.

John Finn, Ain, October 20th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr

I purchased this car new in April 08 and sold it in August 08.I have purchased a total of 8 VW's, this one will be the last one I will ever buy.It is by far the worst new car I have ever bought. The style is fantastic, its a shame the build quality does not measure up. The roof rattles when it is closed, the VW garage has failed to solve the problem. When raining the doors fill up with water, open the door and you get wet feet.Rain water also runs from the roof onto the seats when you open the door, making it necessary to dry them off before you get in.When opening the boot lid rain water runs into the boot soaking any articles in there.Rain has also found its way above the rear windows, which have on occassion failed to close properly. The boot lining comes adrift while driving and the left hand clip on the boot cover kept falling off. While driving back from holiday a fuel sensor warning light came on, stopped read the book which instructs not to drive any further and call for VW assistance.Assistance arrived, had to phone for advice, 41/2 hours later told I could continue but go to VW garage on my return home. At the garage it was found to be a faulty fuel temperature sensor, when I mentioned that it was not good for a car to break down and have so many faults. His reply was I did not break down because I continued to drive later on. Decision then made to change brand.

alan wright, dorset, August 28th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr

I bought my EOS new two and a half months ago, since day one I have had problems with the roof rattling/banging when in the closed position, and also with the roof refusing to open/shut on numerous occasions. The main dealer has been absolutely pathetic, and the car has now spent 30+ days in the workshop, each time returning exactly the same as when it went in. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER VW AS LONG AS I LIVE.

john wheeler, worcs, August 12th 2008

TSI Sport 2dr

I owned the car for 9 months and suffered terribly when the cold weather arrived - nothing nicer than de-icing your car outside and then in on a cold winter morning ... to find the ice from the windscreen then melts and drops onto you lap! The dealer was appaling and had not got a clue about rectifying the vehicle - they just kept telling me of other problems they had with other vehicles. Very nice to drive, and handles the road well but not worth the money for the misery is causes in winter. Had to threaten legal action to get the vehicle returned.

Lynn Wileman, July 25th 2008

FSI 2dr

This is my follow up review to offer advice on curing leaks by maintaining the seals. The manual is a bit confusing in this regard as were contradictory instructions in two different packs of rubber cleaning sets. Suggest cleaning seals using dilted washing up liquid as advsied in manual then when dry follow advice from above link. My car has been ok and I hope it stays that way as three colleagues at work have not had the best of service from the local VW dealer where I bought my car. Seems that VW needs to get its dealers to match standard of its Skoda dealers. For further advice look here: http://golden-hind.com/eos/EOS_ROOF_SEALS.pdf

Tom Williams, Herts, July 16th 2008

FSI 2dr

I have had my EOS 1.6 for 9 months now. I previously owned an A4, a VW Golf IV, Mercedes CLK... I am from Greece and I have to say that I had most of the problems everybody else has written about. Yes the car is good to drive, it corners very good and is a very pleasent place to be, especially since I am doing an average of 400miles per week. The roof though has major problems. First of all if you bother to wash the car yourselfs you will find out that water gets in the car from the side-windows. The roof does make horrible noises, coming from the back end and above the rear suspension probably! 4 months after I bought it one of the interior cables that help the fabric of the roof to fold away was cut and the roof could not open) Last week for the first time i left the car out in the rain, since own a closed-parking spot. 4 hours later the car had major water leaks in the pillars above the driver, the co-driver and the back seat passenger. It is now in the dealer and I am awaiting the response from Germany... Be ware that the roof leaks not when you drive but when you are parked. Driving the car pulls the water away. Park it in the rain and when after a few hours check with your hand the pillars and all the inner fabric of the roof. It dries very quickly, perhaps this is why some people have not noticed it, and remember that it is coloured black which agains makes it hard to see it.

Panos Piperopoulos, May 11th 2008

FSI 2dr

I have had my Eos for a month now and I am absolutely thrilled with it. I intended to buy an Eos back in March 2007, but I had heard of too many reports of roof leaks. Apparently, the roof seal was redesigned and this proved effective apart from few which still gave problems. This was traced to the dealer optional silicone coating that protects the paintwork but damages the rubber seals. I suspect that problems with leaks are on older demo or returned cars. I have driven mine through torrential rain and I cannot find any evidence of leaks i.e. water in the doors or boot. The car is a joy to drive, the handling on corners is fantastic, I actually enjoy driving to work. I chose the standard alloys and the non-sport model to give me the best ride quality. I was worried about petrol consumption, but careful driving can give me 40mpg. I must admit that I only get 33mpg at the weekend when I drive it a bit more enthusiastically. The roof keeps being put down at any hint of sun, with the windows up and the wind deflector up you are well protected. I guess that generally people write reviews when they are angry from a bad experience. I hope my review provides some balance.

David Edmondson, May 2nd 2008

TDI Sport 2dr

I took delivery in September 2007, and the car has only been back to the dealer once for a rattle in the roof, which was fixed the same day. No problems otherwise; minor niggles are that the DSG box can be a bit jerky from a standstill, and the speedo is hard to read with the top down and wearing sunglasses! I find it hard to recognise my car from the catalogue of complaints being listed here; all I want is more sun!

Ian Thompson, April 30th 2008

TSI Individual 2dr

No leaks for me just extremely poor customer service since purchase in September 07. Great looking car and a pleasure to drive but dealership experience will make me choose another make when replacing car later this year.

Andrew Crane, April 19th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr

I bought a 2.0 FSi T in March 2007 and from the word go it turned into a nightmare. I had all sorts of problems...doors filling up with water, boot filling up with water, windows goign up and down on there own, no spare key...dealer lost it, no tracker info etc etc. I rejected the car in June and nearly had to take Lindvale Romford to court as in October 2007 they had still not founf me a replacement car. It was only them sending me a email that should have gone to their solicitors and me threatening to get the letter published that Lidvale finally found me a replacement car....brand new and from germany. I took the car in Novv 2007, and it has already been back into the dealership as the roof would not work.....windows open but would not go down. Today it is back in the dealers as I know have a horrible rattling noise from the passenger rear quarter. I have been told by Lindvale that they think the noise is the C Pillar and the car needs to be stripped down!!! I dont know when I am going to be getting the car back and they can not tell as of yet. The cars themselves are lovely to look at, but the problems far outweigh the looks. If you bought a car from Lindvale then you have trouble from the word go, terrible custemor service, poor communication and totla lack of interest and care from all their staff.....once they have your money they dont give a damn.

Tracie Garbutt, Essex, April 9th 2008

TDI Sport 2dr

I took delivery of a highly spec'd Eos Sport TDi in February, having specifically asked the salesman if water ingress was still an issue with this model. He assured me that this was no longer a concern with current models. However, the folding roof leaked almost immediately and I returned it to the dealership for repair. After ten days the car was returned to me (unvaleted) and they assured me the problem was sorted. Not so. It was still leaking next day, and I immediately decided to reject it on the basis I bought a car not a boat - and soaked carpets and leather seats are not likely to add to the resale value. I have since spoken to various people within the motor trade and they all agree the problem with the Eos' folding roof is an ongoing technical problem that VW still has to crack. The car cost over Β£28,000 and rattled from day one, and the ride isn't particularly comfortable, especially on 18" alloys. I think there are much better German marques available for similar money, such as Mercedes and BMW - the Mercedes C-Class loan car I am currently driving costs less than the Eos, with superb spec and a different league of build quality. Different thing, I know, but I bought the Eos for fun driving - and believe me it wasn't. To be fair, the dealership was honourable in returning my money, less mileage. However, my advice to anyone considering buying this car is beware, and be prepared to be taking it back to the dealership on a regular basis.

Richard Herold, Surrey, March 16th 2008

TSI Sport 2dr

Bought this car in March 2007 having traded in my MX5 and loved it. I discovered water leaks into front footwells 6 months down the line, followed by water leaks into the boot. I took the car back to the dealer on a total of 5 occasions for remedial work - nothing worked. Eventually, I rejected the car 9 months after I had bought it. The dealer offered me an identical new car (which had the necessary design modifications to prevent water leaks) but he could not give me the assurances that I demanded that it would not have the same problems - I concluded that he had no confidence in the newer, modified model either! So I had a refund, less an amount for 9 months use. I loved it, then I hated it, then I got rid. Poor show VW.

emyr daniels, March 6th 2008

TSI Sport 2dr

i was the proud owner of this car in dec 2006.in january it was back in the dealship for leaking roof (twice) ,water dripping in the doors and footwells three times ,said we hadent heard of any of these problems before mine, and now the lock on the boot keeps opening while driveing,and just last week ( nice weather) i pressed the button for the roof and it openened and stayed up in the air with the boot open and wouldnt move ,the dealership told me to drive it to them,(WHAT) now its been 2 weeks and its still in this position in there garage and they dont know what to do ,so be aware when buy in one,

wayne ross, west yorkshire, February 13th 2008

TDI Individual 2dr

The car simply glides over the road - its that simple in a sentence! I have the 2 litre TDI version which has the lowered suspension and believe me when I say & recommend you get the DSG version! To say that this is a car that can be quick is putting it mildly! To state that I have road tested this car is almost a joke. I have a 57 plate that currently has just under 13,000 miles under her belt. And she is only just over 4 months old. I do allot of miles, everyday. My critiques would be: A) Ride. (The car can on very rough roads or over gaping potholes - rattle.) B) Visibility. (Its very easy to clip a kerb as the cars dimensions are decptive and visibility limited from the drivers seat.) C) Economy. (I canny get more than 45mpg and typically see 35-40mpg. For a 2l TDi that is simply not up to scratch.) Am not sure what the people posting complaints are talking about?? If you buy a car that is a world 1st - when its only just been released - then of course you are going to have a few tweaks to work out - that's unfortunately obvious. Take it to the dealer, fix it and get over it. I am very happy to report that on the 2007/8 models these issues seem to have been put to bed. This car drives like a dream and turns heads wherever it goes. Feel the breeze and drive with ease - That should be the car's slogan! ;-)

andrew shields, February 12th 2008