Volkswagen Fox Hatchback Owner reviews

3dr

Had my fox three years. What to say? It's totally reliable. Nice big boot (big enough for holidays, too, and easily swallows up a guitar). A wee bit boring, bleak inside, maybe. Engine okay. Safe but uninspiring? Will I lease another? Yes. Will I look forward to it with anticipation? Probably not.

Roderick Mathison, August 7th 2011

Urban Fox 3dr

I used to drive a ford scorpio ultima ,heated seats ,all leather ,air con ,memory seat settings just about every high spek you could get in a car so when i changed to a fox because of the soaring fuel prices i was WORRIED ,but i need not of been ,its a good drive ,nippy, easy to park ,basic inside though and the plastic tends to mark easily ,but i am made up with this little car and for once i think i have bagged a bargain , its a smasher!!!!

philip hudson, lincolnshire, January 1st 2009

3dr

I have had my Fox for just over a month now, and I am more than happy with it. It is the most econmical car I have ever driven, I have got 220 miles on Β£20's worth of petrol, unbelieveable. Its comfortable and smart. So easy to park due to the size, but roomy on the inside. When I sold my jeep and decided upon the Fox, I kinda felt it was downgrading somewhat...sadly mistaken, I have fallen for my fox and it was the best car purchase I have made.

Diana Butler, Berkshire, November 17th 2008

Urban Fox 3dr

I have had nothing but trouble with this car. I originally bought it because it was a value for money VW, and the VW name is supposed to mean quality and reliability. Oh dear how wrong was I. So far the following things have had to be fixed with the car: Dashboard replaced twice due to LCD display not working properly and then red needles on dials not lighting up. New CV Joint Rear wash wipe fixed twice after the pipe supplying washer fluid to the rear window broke (recall on this) New drivers side electric window switch New remote control for the doors The car itself is quite nice to drive, does 80 comfortably on the motorway and handles itself around town nicely, and the elavated seated position gives a good view of the road. Running costs I wouldnt say are brilliant - its not that good on fuel as you would imagine, a 4 cylinder 1.2 would be more economical, and on the motorway it really eats the petrol. A major service at VW will cost over Β£200. Insurance is cheap though. The interior is dull, the plastic marks easily, though the seats are quite comfortable on a long journey. Personally, I cant wait to get rid of this car however, and I will never buy a VW again. This car has been nothing but a problem and it has to be the worst car I have ever owned from new.

Gary Holcombe, April 8th 2008

Urban Fox 3dr

I bought this car two and a half years ago in France (we have an appartment there) after extensively researching and test driving several small cars. I definatley made the right choice. It is a pleasure to drive and is suprisingly roomy inside, frequently carrying four adults. It is used intermittently, but left on a trickle charger,and runs smoothly every time. If they made a 5 door version I would buy one here. A fun car that I would highly recommend to someone looking for a small but roomy economical car. It is definatley underated.

Marcia Halpern, Cheshire, April 8th 2008

Urban Fox 3dr

I've owned my Fox 1.2 urban for just two weeks but can honestly say I am very very pleased. It drives well, is comfortable and has plenty of room for the family. It seems to love the motorway as well as nipping around town with ease. Inside the controls are easy to use and the sound system is excellent. The only thing I miss is air-con. This is good value car that doesn't feel cheap at all. |I would highly recommend it to anyone - although I do like being one of the few to drive a Fox.

hywel watkins, GWENT, April 4th 2008

3dr

I reviewed my car in Feb 08,and now after 5110 miles ,and 18 months on,its still a 100% excellent car,many thanks Volkswagen,for an incredibly good value car,that for some reason that i dont understand,you rarely advertise !!!!!!!!!.I can only recommend.

thomas lowry, west mids, February 6th 2008

3dr

I have just bought this car. Having had it for only a day, my review is obviously limited. Firstly, I cannot speak highly enough of the supplying dealer - Arnold Clark in Merrylee, Glasgow. Not only was the salesman a delight, we felt him to be trustworthy too! The car is lovely to drive, even in comparison to our Golf. I realise it is not (quite) of the standard of a Golf, but it is only half its price! Well done VW, and well done AC.

Gary White, Ayrshire, December 1st 2007

3dr

After owning my last car for 11 years, i decicded to change to a newer one. I like small cars so I did some research and with a budget of Β£6000, I visited some dealerships. I found an advert for a VW Fox at a dealership in Norwood and even though the car i enquired about had been sold that day, the salesman said he had another one and he'd phone back in the morning to tell me about it. Well true to his word he did and after discussing the matter with his sales manager he said they would let me have it for the same price as the one just sold (Β£5495 for a car less than a year old, a warranty until 2010, one years breakdown plus a GPS Tracker although to activate that is my option) The car is fantastic to drive, its 1.2 engine is eager to rev and moving in and out of traffic is a doddle. On the motorway, it has more than enough power to make overtaking easy and it'll stay quite happily at speed, cabin noise is kept low as well. The build quality is excellent, and the interior is uncluttered and the controls are easy to find and operate. This is my first VW and I am really impressed. It's a shame to see that I'm driving a car that not many people own, well let me say that they are fools. Well done to VW for such a great little car, I'll be back again in other 11 years.

Martin Constable, Surrey, November 27th 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I have owned my Fox for almost four months and am very happy with it, and find it fun to drive. For the amount you pay I think it is fantastic and of high quality. My main reason for choosing it was that it was a VW and it certainly has lived up to that standard. The weight of the door compared to that of any other small car is noticeably greater, which is reassuring. Lots of reviews slate the interior, but I think it is stylish - I don't think you want curves and twiddly bits everywhere and in my opinion it doesn't miss anything. It also looks very pretty in the night time with the displays illuminated! As well as being easy to manoeuvre, solid on the road and nippy it is great for transporting passengers and reasonable amounts of luggage - surprising given the dimensions. It is light to drive and not bad on overtaking, even when going at speed on the motorway. My only issue is that there is space for a middle seat in the back, which would be useful at times. I recommend it 100%!

Deborah Goddard, September 18th 2007

3dr

I have owed this car for three months now, bought new. I do love it to pieces - it is economical and spacious. It is true that the interior is a bit sparse, but it has more than enough to live with comfortably. I drive through town and on the motorway every day, and find it a joy. The only bad word I have to say is that the front pillars are a little intrusive, and it would be easy to miss a biker (speaking as one myself). I would recommend this little gem to anyone - over and above a Corsa or 206.

Steph Harding, South Yorkshire, September 16th 2007

3dr

I had my Fox from new in May 2006. I had it in grey with the optional colour coded bumpers -well worth the extra Β£65! I was involved in an accident on a fast roundabout - an old man just rammed into me at speed. The Fox withstood the damage excellently considering I had three passengers at the time. It never even skidded, despite the speed I was hit at. I needed a new passenger door and alloy wheel, along with some other body work, but what is great is that VW guarantee the work for 11 years - so I can’t complain at all. I was gutted at the time but I feel safe now, knowing that the Fox can really protect you when you need it. I guess that's VW for you. I cannot recommend this car highly enough - it is always a pleasure to drive, road handling is faultless and it protected me when I most needed it. VWs are built to protect - no other car can compete with this quality. I would definitely recommend it.

Robyn Radley, Shropshire, August 9th 2007

3dr

I bought my Fox in February 2007 - it had done 5500 miles. I was extremely pleased by how spacious it is and how easy and nippy it feels to drive. I have done 7000 miles in my car and I have been across the UK in it with three friends and their luggage. I average 44mpg in my car and have never felt it insufficient in terms of acceleration or performance - if anything I have found it to great value for money, and easy to drive on both short and long journeys. Basically, it's a cheap Volkswagen, which is better built than most, and is fun, efficient and comfortable. I have read many reviews, but after driving it for 7000 miles, I've found it to be good for what it is - a simple car for normal people. It's good for a budget car and it's almost as economical as many more expensive superminis, which are more expensive to insure and have less space. In terms of safety it may only have two airbag, but if you look on the NCAP website its performance was better than most with 4/5 stars - it's not a Golf but it's still very good and remember it's not priced to be a Golf! I have already had so much fun in my car on road trips and every day when I drive to uni or work - the CD sound system is great. Overall I'm pleased. The only bit of my car I'm not ecstatic with is the interior door handles - they feel a bit below standard and central locking would have been fab.

James Davison, July 27th 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I have owned my Fox for 7 months now and I love driving it. It is a bit like the tardis inside and my family love its cheeky nature. Now for the bad bits it has broken down three times now and has required to be returned to the dealer twice, the last time it had to be towed in! I have told my dealer that should it happen again I will return the car as unfit for purpose and expect a replacement. I am very very disapointed with this reliability issue and expected much better from a volkswagen, it is my first ever new car and I will think twice about another one.

Andrew Murton, SUFFOLK, July 1st 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I wrote a review in June 2006, so have decided to update it as I have owned this car now for nearly 3 years. I have to say I am very disappointed that this review is along the same vein as my last. Since June 2006, I have experience further problems, such as the central locking breaking a further 2 times, the driver's door contrinues to drip water in when it rains, in May last year, the car broke down completely due to a broken ignition coil. This happened at 2 am, so was an absolute nightmare. The same thing happened again last night - I was driving along and it lost all power. Another ignition coil had to be replaced this morning. All in all, I've had a complete nightmare with this car, with a total of 16 faults with the vehicle - two of these breakdowns. I will be selling it within the month.

H Jenks, North Yorkshire, June 22nd 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I've owned the Urban 1.4 for just over three months. It's my first car, however not the first that I've driven. The car is so nippy and so spacious leg room wise, but you do lose out in the boot compartment, yet it is still reasonable. I really love the car, find it quite economical and would recommend it to anybody. It's great for those who can't afford a VW Golf - I've been asked on a number of occasions if it is a Golf!

sara Beckwith, Lancashire, May 29th 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

The FOX is a very basic, but very capable car which fits well in Urban society. The equipment is sparse, and the option of air conditioning is very expensive at Β£945, but as this year is going to be the hottest on record, very worth while. On the road, the 1.4 FOX is very spritely and handles very well. Inside the car, there is bags of room for 4 adults, which is unusual for a car of this size. Our son has more leg room in the back than he did in our previous Golf - I was very shocked at the amount of room in the back. The boot is a generous size as well. Overall, myself and my wife are very pleased with the package we have in the FOX for value and interior space.

Richard Green, Dorset, May 16th 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I have just bought a new Urban Fox 1.4 and find it an easy,spirited car to drive. The steering is a trifle light, but the gearbox is a joy to use. For such a small car on the outside, the cabin is roomy and and relatively well equipped. The Urban Fox has a robust feel to it rather than sporty. I'm very happy with my purchase!

joanna dixon, durham, May 6th 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

We took delivery of our Fox in Dec 07. It's a good quality city car and has proven excellent value for money so far.

John Leslie, March 3rd 2007

Urban Fox 3dr

I own three VWs, including a 1.2 Urban Fox purchased new in May 2006. So far, it has covered just over 6000 miles and nothing has gone wrong. The 1.2 (definitely the engine to go for) is punchy for its size once run-in, and the gearbox is a delight to use. Acceleration, despite the official figures, is more than adequate with one or two on board, and the handling and roadholding are equally adequate. Forward visibility is excellent for the driver with the high seating. Equipment and the interior are basic - but the Urban version in particular is entirely practical for day-to-day use. Fuel consumption is around 40-45 mpg. Paintwork is good and the car appears to be well built, with no squeaks or rattles to date. It can be driven by our 18-year-old with its Group 1 insurance. My only small gripes are with the digital clock and odometer, which is small and therefore difficult to read, and I wish it had the traditional dash-mounted rotating VW lighting switch. I am amused that the pineapple-fibre content of the headlining helps support Brazilian farmers near the factory. The two rear seats will easily accomodate six-foot adults - try that in other city-cars. All in all, it's a delightful, economic runabout addition to our VW stable, supplied and backed up by second-to-none service from the VW franchised dealers in Ashford Kent. I have no hesitation in giving it a five-star rating as a city-car which is equally at home in the country.

Peter Mellor, February 11th 2007