TSI SE 5dr

1.4 TSi (122 bhp) Estate SE, manual 6 spd Extras Self park, reversing camera,leather seat, mirror pack (41 Ave MPG my peak is 52 mpg on a run & lowest 34 min city driving). Spookily quiet engine (after my Focus diesel) with enough torque and a slick gear change making for relaxed driving. Performance is there if you need it. Ride comfort is good and handles modern pot holed roads well, on motorways with the quiet engine it is very relaxed cruising. Interior quality is good - nice touchscreen,seats comfortable, adjustable steering wheel suits most. Rear seat passengers well catered for. Estate boot good & remote flip down seats (don't fold flat) rear seatbelts don't get tangled and all the cubby holes, shopping hooks and hidden floor compartment in boot where you can store the parcel shelf means space really useful. Not as wide as my focus which is a shame. Best features adaptive cruise ( it is brilliant ), self park, rear camera and the touch screen all add to a good driving experience. Worst - placing the cigar lighter power supply at the back of the centre console - great for rear passengers not so good for wire trailing sat nav users. Seems to fog up more than my Focus on rainy days.SE well specced some options expensive & why can't you spec 140 bhp engine on SE ? An odd thing is tow bar slot under the rear bumber ( I don't have a tow bar so the slot is open to dirt and road sludge )-VW do a clip in cover - you have to buy it as an extra- dissapointing penny

Hugh Phipps, Glos, February 8th 2015

TSI R 3dr

Owned from new, nine months and 6,000 miles later, so far very happy. The R sticks to the road, handling is spot on, no body roll on roundabouts. Power from the 300bhp engine is awesome, no turbo lag. Driven sensibly urban MPG is averaging 32, even enjoying a progressive drive it still averages 26. electronic gadgets in abundance and interior feels very high quality. Few minor niggles, rear spoiler trim at side of rear screen which is held on with double sided tape has come loose twice, replaced under warranty (common problem on R forum). Also had condensation in O/S door mirror LED. Also has annoying rattle underneath car when driven on cobbled road surface (hopefully to be sorted when in for first service) Xenon headlights are poor on high beam.

mick shaw, January 24th 2015

TDI GTD 5dr

Company car - 64 plate golf gtd in silver. Overall I am very impressed by the quality of this car. The engine is very strong yet quiet, manual gearbox is slick, the interior is a lovely place to be, the equipment level as standard is high (with the exception of sat nav) and a special mention to the directional xenon headlights which are superb. There are a few gripes however: - The adaptive cruise control is the most hateful cruise control system I have ever used with no facility that I can find to turn the adaptive part off - The fuel tank is too small - you're very lucky to get 450 miles from a full tank - The economy is disappointing. I was not expecting vw claimed 67mpg, but my 2009 bmw 320d would return over 50 mpg no matter how you drove it, with over 60 mpg possible driven at 70 mph on the motorway. So far in the golf over 3,000 miles of mixed driving have yielded just over 43 mpg which is not good enough in this day and age. And that's with the car 85% of the time on Eco mode, and I do not have a heavy right foot. Hopefully this will improve a bit with warmer weather and the engine run in a bit more. - Ridiculous placement of CD player - in the glovebox. These issues aside overall it's a fine car that I would recommend

Will Benton, cheshire, December 15th 2014

T GTI 5dr

So I've had my Golf GTi for a week now and have been very happy with it so far. Build Quality If you've ever owned a VW you know the high standards to expect. The GTi is no different. There are cheaper quality materials but they have been clever with their placement i.e. found in places you wouldn't normally touch. Performance Yep. It's a Golf GTi. It does what you expect it to do and that's put a big grin on your face when you press the fun pedal. Mine's the manual box because I'm a bit old school like that and like to know that when I put it in a gear it's going to stay there until I change it. Plus I like the interaction with the car. I drove the DSG; it was quicker, but more 'detached'. Practicality This is a Golf at the end of the day. There's loads of space, cubby holes, drawers, split seats with pass-through. All very practical. Mine's the 5 door and getting a child in the back is dead easy. Loads of leg room etc. Parking is easy with the new steering column and parking sensors. Visibility is good. Economy To be fair it's about what I expected. Just over 30 mpg on a 20 mile commute including some stop start traffic getting out of one city, some motorway then a bit more stop start in the next city. There's the option of some back country roads too but they get blocked up during rush hour. Either way the car returns just over 30 mpg. What would I change? Responsiveness of the entertainment system. I've got the 6" sat nav.

Richard Waine, Northants, December 9th 2014

TDI GT 5dr

My two previous cars were Honda Civics (2.2 i-cdi) and I have now had the Golf for 2 months /5000 miles. The Golf is undoubtedly more sophisticated with lots of e- gizmos, some of which do not make a very positive contribution to the driving experience ! The car is very quiet for one of this size, it has fantastically comfortable seats (for us anyway!), it has a very good turning circle and had a great chassis - especially with the DCC we paid extra for; it was however a surprise to have to pay extra for automatic climate control ! There are three areas that disappoint; i)the adaptive cruise control which I find modulates so poorly that I rarely use it, ii) the gear change is not smooth and quite "notchy" and iii) the engine is not as flexible as the Honda's. This, coupled with the chosen gear ratios, requires a lot of gear changes in give-and-take motoring. All-in-all it's a very good car, if a bit pricey, but, for me, it would have been a really great car if it had the Honda's engine and gearbox! But then it would have given me the 58 mpg I have averaged so far?

Tim Gibbs, DEVON, November 26th 2014

TDI 105 Match 5dr

I bought this car to replace a Mercedes CLK320. The Golf may be half the engine size of the Mercedes, but the performance is not. Obviously it's not as quick, but not far off, and the handling of the Golf simply cannot be faulted. So far I've only done a few hundred miles locally, but the Golf is returning an acceptable 60mpg. As it's the "match" model it is packed with goodies, and the 7 speed DSG gearbox is so smooth you simply don't feel the changes. It is a great car to drive in "normal" mode, hit the "sport" button and it does a fair impression of a mini GTi. The main reason I bought it was for the seats as I have had a back injury, and they don't disappoint. Possibly the most comfortable seats I have had in a car. This is my 7th VW, having previously had a Mk1, 4 Mk2's, and a Mk5 GTi which gave me 8 years of trouble free motoring. The Mk7 1.6TDI is quick, cheap to run, extremely comfortable, well equipped in match trim,and far better than cars in a class above.

david Price, Derbys, November 10th 2014

TSI SE 5dr

I have recently bought this car, it is my 3rd golf after having owned a mk IV & V. My initial impressions are good, it's the familiar golf feeling of quality & safety. This particular engine is good for economy as well as a bit of power when you need it, but it's no racing car. The interior feels really well designed & built, with nice touches such as a leather steering wheel, climate control & control buttons on the steering wheel, an adjustable armrest. Without these features I think it would have felt very basic inside. My mk V was a GTI so I am constantly comparing the handling & driving experience to that one, which of course this one cannot compete with in reality. The handling is fine, a good blend of comfort and "feel", which adds up to a comfortable weekday commute. The fuel consumption is much better than a GTI which is bonus, so far I have managed to get 46 mpg on a fairly mixed commute and a few long journeys. The car had 55k miles on it when I bought it, and there were no visible defects except a few scratches on the alloys. I have since discovered a couple of very small rust spots on the lower edge of the front doors. I believe this is a known issue with the golf mk VI, so beware if you are looking to buy one. Have a good check round this area - as I understand water gathers in the space between door and body, and in cold weather can freeze which results in a bent door, damaged paint and subsequent corrosion (in the worst case). Otherwise I recommend this

Andrew Gordon, July 30th 2014

TSI SE 5dr

I've had the Golf 1.4 TSi SE 5 door (manual) for almost a year now and it is a superb car to drive and own. My passengers find that the seats and ride aren't the best but in the driver's seat, I find it really comfortable over long journeys. The build quality and kit are exceptional and shame many other manufacturers of cars in classes above the Golf. The downsides, and there are only a few, are infuriating though: 1. The air-conditioning (manual version) is asthmatic. It takes quite a while to cool the car down and despite the rear console for rear seat passengers, they complain of being too hot. My old 1998 Vauxhall Astra 1.8 CDi did a better job of cooling the car down quickly and the fans were better. Even my wife's Toyota iQ 1.0 cooled us down quicker! 2. The cruise-control radar is fabulous BUT it slows you down rapidly even AFTER the car in front has turned off the road. What the hell? I wish that I could adjust it better than the Eco, Sport and Custom options in the set-up of the car. But, 98% of the time it's wonderful and I use it ALL the time, even in suburban 20mph and 30mph areas - I drive the car on cruise control (which is probably why I average overall 44mpg on mainly town-centric, local driving). 3. The touch-screen infotainment system that allows you to connect your iPod or iPhone is good for connectivity but absolutely appalling for control. It randomly plays from the device that you did not choose. Let Apple do car interfaces VW!

David Hulme, July 19th 2014

TSI 150 GT 5dr DSG

Comfortable, practical and great to drive the Golf is a complete family car. Behind the conservative styling there is a lot of technology, a superb power train and a great chassis. And whilst the interior may not have the show room wow factor of some the impeccable ergonomics and quality feel will still be satisfying long after the style wears thin on some rivals. The 1.4TSI ACT is a terrific engine, it combines the free revving sweetness of a good petrol with a slug of mid range torque and fuel consumption that is not far off a diesel. Smooth and powerful, it is surprising just how much time the engine runs in 2 cylinder mode. The DSG box suits the engine very well and offers super quick, super smooth gear shifts that are almost imperceptible. Not cheap but it is worth the extra I think. The car is very quiet and the ride quality would be considered good in cars a lot bigger than the Golf, yet this comfort is not at the expense of body control and handling is very good. Generous rear seat space, a large and usable book and enough cabin cubby holes to shame many MPV's the Golf is an extremely practical family car. Although not cheap GT trim is well equipped with adaptive cruise, sat nav, city braking, parking sensors, nice alloys etc, although the absence of climate control seems mean. Really it is hard to identify any areas that the Golf does not do well and as an overall package it is an outstanding car. Although conservative the styling a slow burner which grows on you.

John bradshaw, Cumbria, April 19th 2014

TSI GT 5dr DSG

John bradshaw, Cumbria, April 19th 2014

TSI S 5dr

Having driven 2.0 litre Passat TDIs for over 12 years, I decided to downsize but did not want to lose out on engine power and equipment. The Golf Match 1.4 TSI pre-registered petrol car that I bought in April 2013 ticks all the boxes. It is a smooth, powerful and very well equipped car. It handles much better than a Passat and although it offers less in MPG, the cost difference between diesel and petrol evens things out. Road tax is also lower. I am delighted with this car and would recommend it. When I come to replace it in a few years, I will be looking at the latest 1.4 TSI Golf offerings form VW.

J Kelly, April 2nd 2014

TSI SE 5dr

My car is actally a Danish spec highline model, its closest equivalent is the UK SE model. This car is unique in being the only C-Segment premium estate. The cabin quality is impressive. There is adaptive cruise control (configurable in Sport, Normal or Economy modes), which is superb and makes motorway driving a jaunt. Another nice detail is the automatic hand brake. The 14 way adjustable ergo seat with massage will allow anyone to find a superb seating position (not sure if this is on the UK model). The 1.4 122 PS TSI motor is quick enough, but no racer. It is refined, almost silent most of the time, but gives a satisfying growl under hard acceleration. Fuel economy is impressive for a petrol, 4 months of ownership I can now get to within 5% of the official combined economy on trips of 25 minutes or more. The steering is informative, and the suspension comfortable, yet nicely communicative; it is a great car to drive on the daily commute. Practicality and interior space are excellent. However, I'm 6'4" and there isn't fantastic space for an adult to sit behind me, though it can be done on shorter trips. Would be amazing with a sliding rear seat so you could sacrifice boot space for legroom. The boot is very spacious and swallows a large pram with ease, though you will need to fold up the boot floor in order for it to fit. Even then, there will still be space to fit a couple of cabin cases. There are cool practical touches, I love the ski flap between back seats.

Ian Gibson, March 14th 2014

TDI BlueMotion 5dr

Very underpowered and don't be fooled by those massive MPG figures that VW publish! Had the car for a couple of months now and averaging 58 MPG. I have managed to get 68 MPG over a 150 mile drive but it was a painful experience and took forever ( never went above 60 mph). Just come out of an Audi A3 2.0L diesel and the fuel consumption of this 'Bluemotion' is no better - with a lot worse performance. Don't get me wrong - it's an OK car but the lack of power at low speed is a joke. I find I have to constantly change down to 1st gear to get the thing moving and trying to pull away you really have to keep the revs up - defeating the optimum MPG! Some neat standard fittings - I like the touch screen which controls radio, phone, car data etc. DAB is great and so is the phone connection with a charger for your iPhone built in. No spare wheel - not even a temporary one! Just a repair kit! It's basically a very good car - but take my advice and get then 2.0L or it will be a joyless driving experience!

Tim Mills, Herts, February 22nd 2014

TSI GT 2dr

I've owned this car for a month. Drives like a Golf and has the quality feel you'd expect. Looks better in the flesh particularly with GT spec alloys to give the car a brawnier appearance. My car is white, which works particularly well as it emphasises the fabric roof and hence gives it a more sporty appearance. Very comfortable (even for a 6'4 man) and a good amount of technology without being OTT or making the cabin feel cluttered. The roof retracts quickly and there is little noise when up - you'd barely know you were in a convertible. Having previously owned a mk4 Golf TDI 130bhp it has taken a while to learn how to get the best out of the 1.4 TSI 160bhp engine. I was initially a little underwhelmed but now I am learning how and when to apply the power it doesn't disappoint! If you are set on a very sporty drive then probably best to look elsewhere but if like me you want the best of all worlds this ticks nearly all the boxes. The only exception is fuel economy which is nowhere near the official figures, especially if you want to enjoy the power the engine has on offer. I'm averaging about 35mpg mainly on B-roads and small stretches of dual carriageway. On longer stretches I've had returns of 39mpg combined but nowhere near the official 44mpg combined cycle. I'm sure I could do better if I set cruise control to 65mph and relaxed... but that's not why I selected the 160bhp engine! Not too bad though. A stylish, understated and fun car which is surprisingly powerful.

Daniel Nicholls, February 17th 2014

TDI GTD 5dr

My last car was a BMW 325d (3.0) M Sport Auto, I was expecting to be "downsized"to some degree with the GTD, but that has not been the case. It is certainly as much fun if not more to drive, I opted for the adaptive suspension system, it glides along as good as my old Mercs in comfort mode, it is very refined, very quiet, the auto DSG gearbox is a joy. The Eco mode, which shuts down some power and changes up gears very early is great in the winter, and on wet slippery roads.It gets rid of unwanted wheel spin. The Sport mode is something else. Not only does it stiffen up the suspension, steering and holds the gears, including early down changes, but it also adds an artificial engine sound which I think sounds great. I added adaptive suspension, heated seats and DSG, but it has everything else pretty much as standard. The adaptive cruise control takes some getting use to, seeing a car ahead braking and learning to trust the car to brake and come to a complete stop, without touching the brakes is like going snorkeling for the first time. Build quality is faultless, although it has been back as all the touch screen system froze, needing a new system installed. The radio/CD/Ipod sound quality is excellent on the std system. I think VW have the looks spot on too. My biggest disappointment is mpg, I rarely get over 40mpg in normal day to day driving, regardless of which mode I use - poor I say when VW claim 60mpg combined !!

anthony gant, suffolk, January 24th 2014

S SDI 3dr

I had seen quite a few negative reviews about this model before I bought a '54 2.0 SDi 3dr 2 months ago and now I have one, I really don't see why people are moaning! It's a very capable & cost efficient car. Haven't had any major problems, bit of a wobbly clutch but I bought it knowing it needed replacing. It's low maintenance & very, very reliable.

Cherry Slocombe, November 9th 2013

TDI GT 5dr

Well this is our 4th Golf GT TDI in a row over the last 10 years. We've just bought this one new as for whatever reasons it worked out cheaper to finance than a demonstrator. So daringly we've gone from a white Golf GT TDI to another white GT TDI. Once again, I have to confess its just got better and better and I guess that's why we keep going back to them. I still struggle to come to terms with paying £22000 for a Golf but when you see what else is in the market for the price it actually makes sense I guess. So far we've had it for 6 weeks and other than trying to get to grips with the touchscreen stereo its been simply perfect. Its quieter than the previous model (yet performs better - indeed with 150 bhp on tap it really does fly). Our last Golf averaged 40mpg around town and 50 mpg on the motorway and I'm sure that this one will be just as, if not more, economical. The standard fit sat nav, bluetooth stereo & phone works a treat (once you've mastered it). The safety / city emergency brake system works a treat although we haven't had the nerve to try the radar cruise control yet. The stop / start engine is a bit unnerving and the electronic handbrake takes some getting use to but other than that its just boringly perfect. My only gripe is that we didn't order it with their DSG auto gearbox - it really would be boring perfection then. Bring on the mk8 - I'll place my order now. Yawn.

alasdair muir, November 8th 2013

TSI S 3dr

Bought a pre reg MK6 in Feb this year, 1.4TSi Match. The car is an absolute peach to drive, 122ps pulls well and I get about 35mpg, mostly urban driving, goes upto about 45mpg on motorways. Gearbox is good and handling just right for me. Few build quality issues though owing to minor but very irritating rattles from dashboard and roof console where interior lights are, owing to cheap plastic clips not holding panels tight, car has been back to dealers four times and they still cannot fix them. The rattling trim annoys me so much that I would not buy another Golf unless VAG start scrwewing panels together, rather than using the cheap, penny pinching clips that are not upto their job. VAG have spoiled a good car and lost a 5 star reveiw, for the sake of saving pennies. Oh, the rain sensing wipers are useless and have a mind of their own.

mick shaw, September 22nd 2013

TSI GT 5dr DSG

very disappointed with this car! It's only 6 months old and just been in the garage for a week for a new fuel pump to be fitted!! The following systems check showed three faulty sensors which took another few DAYS to rectify. Not happy at all. Otherwise car is fine, just v disappointing that this fault has occurred so quickly.

pat Goodson , September 9th 2013