Volkswagen Passat CC Saloon Owner reviews

GT TDI CR 4dr [5 seat]

I took delivery of my Passat CC on New Year's Eve, 2010, five months after ordering it. This classy motor was well worth the wait, however, offering standards of ride, handling, and refinement light years ahead of the disappointing Audi A4 I also tested. Most of my cars have been rewarding to drive, but this is the first one for a long time that I'd drive purely for the sake of it. It's very quiet, has ample power on tap, while VW's class-leading DSG auto box is silky-smooth. In GT trim, the car probably had more equipment as standard than I would ever really need, but I added reverse park-assist plus Dynaudio sound, both of which are very impressive. Honourable mention also to Pulman Volkswagen, Sunderland, who gave me the royalty treatment throughout and kept me fully informed of delays at the factory... as a result of which I at least got the very latest spec car with a slightly face-lifted interior that was a subtle improvement over the car I'd tested. Also, the navigation system on my car would only accept the dreaded five-digit post-codes, but when I recently discovered that full post-code search has been available since before my car was delivered, I got the upgrade at no cost. Again, full marks for service. My only gripe is that, having done just over ten thousand miles in around fourteen months, the car already needs new front tyres. The ContiSeals it came with aren't cheap at around two-hundred-and-fifty quid a throw, so I'm switching to Dunlop Sportmaxx GTs.

Kevin Snowdon, February 12th 2012

GT TDI CR BlueMotion Tech 4dr [5 seat]

Having waited 6 months for this car to arrive I must say I am very pleased with it. The engine pulls well and fuel economy is better than expected. The start/stop system is very pleasing to use with no draw backs along with the auto hodl braking it makes it a very pleasant car to drive. The suspension/steerting settings for sport/normal/comfort are ok. In sport mode the suspension stiffends and the steering tightens up. Normal is ok for most roads and normal driving altough you have to remmeber to switch to sport if you want to be exuberant. Comfort could possible be a little softer ut handling would probably suffer too much. The only let down is the sat-nav system which is totally useless unless you have a street name. Living in the country and only using 5 digit postcode leaves you open to many square miles in which to get lost. Acording to VW there is also no possibility of an upgrade to resolve this issue. Poor show in my view and leaves a very sour taste considering everyhting else is so good.

mark Cartlidge, October 31st 2011

GT TDI CR 4dr [5 seat]

I have just leased a 140 TDI and so far have just had it a few days. WHAT a beautiful car! It is understated, elegant, refined and an absolute joy to drive. Granted it isnt a sports car, but it is plenty lively enough and cossets you in such peace and comfort and quiet, I think it is a class beater! It is most certainly the poshest, most comfortable car I have ever driven! It is bristling with boys toys, and the park-assist feature is scary, but amazingly accurate - I tried it on a very tight parking space and it got it in perfectly! Surprisingly I have had no problem with not having a normal handbrake (and I thought I would) and it functions perfectly well. The bluemotion stop/start feature is very fast - it stops the engine as soon as you stop and restarts again as soon as you lift the foot off the brake (its a DSG). The icing on the cake is how frugal it seems to be: 45mpg on short trips round local shops and 60mpg on a recent 15 mile drive on country roads, without the stop/start of local traffic. This is in complete contrast to my previous, very quick, Corsa 1.7CDTi which managed only about 43mpg round town and maybe 52mpg on a run (dont believe the official figures!). I will be fascinated to see what happens to performance and consumption as the engine loosens up! Initial impressions are top marks. I will post another review after I've driven it a while.

Michael Grantham, Kent, September 16th 2011

GT TDI 170 4dr

Fantastic presence on the road. Smart looks backed up by a strong pacey engine and great MPG (50). Loads of toys as standard such as touch screen stereo with SD card slot for playing your own music. It gets loads of admiring looks and comments. Something slightly different that doesn't shout compact exec.

Paul Hamilton, Lanarkshire, June 28th 2011

TDI CR 4dr

I've had this car since beginning of October and completely love it! I agree with an earlier review that this car needs to seen in the flesh to totally appreciate it. After the initial test drive I was sold and I done a deal with the dealer for the showroom model which had all the gizmos on. There have been a couple of warranty repairs (nothing major) that have been carried out and everything is good with the car now. Four months later I still enjoy driving this car immensley having clocked up almost 9000 miles. Once you get your head round the fact there are only four seats and this takes a bit of planning for family journeys you can expect to be very happy with this car and I would recommend the auto gearbox to that of the manual.

Jason Honey, MIddx, January 30th 2009

TDI CR 4dr

I picked the CC as my new company car - I got my shortlist down to a BMW 3 series M-Sport, an Audi A4 S-Line or the base model Passat CC. On paper the CC was last on my list. All 3 cars had similar specifications/tax costs/mpg. I opted for the CC mainly for the look of it. The BMW & Audi are nice cars but just a bit too much like the shape of a car a 5 year old would draw at school. The CC to me just looks a little different. The web and the brochures do not do the CC justice, it is one of those cars you have to see in the flesh. I have had the car about a month now and covered approx. 2,500 miles. The MPG is unbelievable, I have averaged over 55 MPG during the first 2,500 miles and I get between 60 & 65 MPG on a motorway run. The build quality is very good. Only negative points - big blind spots, no rear wiper, only 4 seats, but these points were all obvious before making the choice. Am I impressed with the car - YES!

Paul Le, December 17th 2008