TDI GT 5dr

Have had this car for one month and have to say it is a vast improvement on my previous 2.0 Sport Estate. Of course there is no mistaking that visually it is a Passat but the new lines give it a little bit more of a purposeful air in comparison with the out going model, Where you really notice the difference is when you step into the cabin the quality and feel is up with much more expensive marks. The seats are very comfortable and as ever the controls are all easy to use and in the right place. I was in a quandary whether I should upgrade the sat. nav. I didn't and it is my belief that the standard one is quite adequate. There is plenty of room for large people in this car and with the larger rear doors tall people do not have to be contortionists to get in. The addition of heating controls in the back means that rear passengers aren't always asking you to adjust the heating. The ride is quiet and smooth soaking up most of the bumps in the road very well. Thus far I have done about 2,000 miles and am averaging 47 mpg that includes city & open road driving, on a run it averages about 53 mpg - I anticipate these figures to improve as it gets run in.

Merv. Carter, Essex, March 16th 2015

SE TDI 5dr

The car I bought had been poorly maintained by the previous lady owner for 4 years and the dealer was not helpful with problems but now I have got on top of this the car is proving to be just what I wanted it to be a comfy long distance load lugger, I have the 105bhp engine which whilst not lively returns 50+ mpg even fully laden with my 100kg on call kit (in the military). There is ample space in the front and rear and the boot is ample enough for most trips and caring for the car is imperative, unlike old volvos which thrive on neglect, these cars do not! I spent a decent sum on correcting errors made in the past and now reliability is my reward, adding an external music lead and Bluetooth has made living with the car more tolerable, passengers sleep easily in the comfort and space and quiet on motorways with even budget tyres, repairs are easy at vw specialists and the EPB is widely disliked, budget a switch change for every 2 years and accept a rear brake repair is not DIY, easy to work on yourself though as I do and the fact taxi drivers like these cars speaks volumes. Avoiding the 2.0 injector failure debacle was a wise move and later blue motion engines are a great improvement. Don't expect lightning performance but enjoy a near 800 mile range and get the best spec you can afford as basics like mine had can be frustrating if you have got used to such things.

Ian Lisseman, West Midlands, October 26th 2014

TDI Bluemotion Tech SE 4dr

Yes I know 2 stars sounds improbable for a new Passat , let me explain... I've had almost all rep mobiles over the past 15 years, and because I've had a fairly free choice of car upto 22k I've always been able to spec something quite nice. This time around my company got a job lot of Passats, so i had no choice, therefore I'm probably a bit grumpy and biased. I'm not snobby about the badge, I rated by Mondeo and my 407 very highly. But I am totally failing to see where the 'quality' of the Passat is. My major gripes are simply the interior, in the first few days driving the following niggles: 1) cup holders are cheap feeling flimsy plastic that completely obstruct the gear shift in use and are awkward to slot the cup in. 2) sunglasses pocket barely holds one pair of sunglasses without a case, and the catch is feeble. 3) lower right storage bin has the upper latch completely exposed so you scratch your hand very easily as you reach in 4) glovebox tiny 5) speedo dial only in mph therefore by European law there has to be a km/h digital readout. Therefore no mph digital readout which is not helpful for speed camera compliance. 6) sat nav is hopeless. In just 100 miles almost all motorway from Essex to Eastbourne my Tom Tom disagreed on routes 4 times, and they are both supposed to be assessing the traffic continuously. 7) yes there are a few 'digital tricks', good Bluetooth etc. but why only the old style ipad connector? I could go on but no more space in this

Chris Cooke, February 22nd 2014

Highline Plus BlueMotion Tech TDI CR DPF 5dr

Just wow and amazing giving me around 48 -50 in town and around 55 in motorways @70mph recently got in -oct 2013 comfortable seats. big boot, lovely for a family with kids i would recommed this car

Ravi Coppisetty, fife, February 19th 2014

Sport TDI 4dr

I have owned my Passat since April 2011 and covered around 20k in that time. Lets start with the good. Great engine: Pulls hard, quiet and refined. Bit chuggy on start when its cold but runs well. Economical: Average well over 50mpg on a long run and around 45ish on my short daily commute. (Had 60mpg at times) Cabin: Cabin is well laid out and comfortable, more than enough for 4 adults, especially the leather seats but...... see the cons for more. Boot: Very large. Handling: Excellent on the motorway and nice to drive on the A roads. never going to be a B road monster. Running costs: Insurance has been broadly good and the tax is only £170, servicing is good at an independent VW garage. And the bad.......... Reliability: Throttle died £350, Brake pad failure £100, Glowplug £70, Handbrake switch £40, Air in the brakes £££, sticky ABS pump £££, intermittent handbrake faults. Cabin: Rattles and squeaks, rubberised finish readily wears off doors and door handles, upgraded touchscreen stereo is a bit glaring at night (should have darker night mode). Overall i really like this car. Its fast, comfortable and nice to drive on a long motorway slog. BUT........ It's let me down time and again. Only luck I've had was i had a VW recall to replace all 4 diesel injectors for free (at £500 a pop). If you have a good'un i think this would be an amazing car, but i feel a little too jaded by the experience to get another. Maybe a BMW 3 series or Ford Mondeo next.

Chris Hope, Somerset, October 6th 2013

SE TDI 5dr

I've owned this car for just over a year and have done over 30k miles in this time taking total mileage to over 80k. So far no problems and the car is running like a gem. The only issue is this engine isn't particularly fast off the mark and I wish I'd opted for the 2.0 litre. However it has good pulling power once you get going and is a comfortable car for long journeys. The boot space is perfect having a dog and young child having considered 3 series touring and a3 avant which both have smaller boots. My last car was a company car - 2011 model passat sport 2.0litre tdi. This car even though is very similar to drive has been improved and refined in comparison eg. Parking brake is much easier to use, driving controls such as indicator and light lever don't clunk when used and generally the dashboard has been improved to make it feel like a prestige car. I can't compare my experiences to some of the other reviews as in my option this car is great (perhaps I've been lucky). My next car will definitely be another passat estate

Ed Bevington, July 5th 2013

TSI Bluemotion Tech Highline 5dr

I have just clocked up 3000 in my Passat and have to say the Whatcar review just about has the vehicle banged to rights. I chose the 1.4TSI engine as I am a low mileage driver and the diesel option was not cost effective. Performance is more than acceptable especially as I drive mainly on short rural journeys. I manage the lower end of the MPG figures but on long journeys keeping within the speed limits I can easily obtain above 50MPG and more. The engine is willing and quiet and will deliver all the power needed but may need to be worked hard to do so. At cruising speeds it is silent and smooth. The cabin is spacious and comfortable though trim levels could be better in many areas. The highline trim is good value for money and I have a sunroof and electronic doors which do elevate the feeling of luxury. The RNS315 satnav is a fairly woeful radio/nav system. The screen is way too small and the DAB radio reception poor. Overall I bought this car to accommodate my travel and canine needs and the car does this in spades. If only there could be a degree more enjoyment in the driving experience but this Passat does feel that it will do what VW says it will do for ever.

Robert Forbes, Morayshire, June 26th 2013

TDI 170 Bluemotion Tech 4MOTION 5dr DSG

A fantastic car - just upgraded from a Ford Mondeo, which was OK when it worked but the difference in build quality, layout and even sound proofing is a class apart. It is smaller than the Mondeo but so much better in quality. MPG is impacted by. Not having a 7speed DSG box - so I get about 46mpg on the motorway - which is good considering the weigh and 4 wheel drive system - interestingly I get low 40's driving around town, which is amazing.

Paul Bason, Dorset, June 19th 2013

S TDI 4dr

Bought car 2009 at 40k miles on clock. Since then I've had to replace both rear electronic brake calipers, to be fair this is probably wear and tear but the bill was eyewatering, Β£200+ each for the work. Then car would not start at times, new immobiliser module needed Β£500+. It started jumping out of 2nd gear, went to specialist and was told it was a common problem, best cost option was to fit a recon gearbox, Β£500+. Nice car to drive on motorway and not to bad about town, mpg in town around 42 on longer motorway trips I got over 47mpg so happy with that. Mine was an estate which does have large boot with good access. Equipment level was poor, I know it was only the S model, but I thinks it is the only car I had in the last 20 years with no rear speaker for the radio! Basic radio/cd, basic air con, no cruise, front only electric windows. I would have been happy with car if the breakdowns had not happened or the bills had been less. However I did get fair price when selling car on so the depreciation cost are possibly lower than some other cars. Would I buy another passat, no.

Robert Mobile, June 12th 2013

TDI BlueMotion 5dr

I've read the previous comments left on here and I am amazed at how people can complain that this car is bland. I received my car a week ago and clocked up 700 miles. Its comfy. Hardly surprising at you can change every conceivable way to sit. So people who say its not hasn't taken the time to adjust the seat. Economical. I've returned 650 miles a tank on my 1.6 diesel. Kitted out. I have the highline and there isn't anything more you could want. You can switch off the electronic handbrake and gear change indicators etc. the auto hold on the brake makes hill starts easy so I think the person who wrote they were struggling didn't know how to use it. So the only thing I would say is a 1.6 estate is underpowered woefully. However mine is a company car so the tax is great. And as for it not being noticed....who cares . It's a great car and does what it says on the tin. Buy one.

David Meredith, Berkshire , June 11th 2013

TDI Bluemotion Tech SE 4dr

Had this car for just under 2 years, covering 56k mainly motorway miles. Replaced a 10 plate Audi A4 SE. Passat 1.6tdi was the only option for me at my last company. Standard SE kit is pretty good but surpassed by the new Highline models. Dab, iPod control, auto windscreen/lights, cruise as standard. Seats comfy, and loads of room in the back and huge boot. Very comfortable drive, better than the A4. Drivers position is excellent. Bad points: Loads of rattles within the car, mainly dash and from the doors. Couple of whacks to the dash or doors would normally sort them out. Interior finish not as good as an A4. Reliability is so so. Had an engine management failure whilst on the M3 that caused the engine to go into safe mode (30mph) whilst in the outside lane. Scared the life out of me and also the cars behind! No issue, was resolved with a software update by VW. Couple other electric failures which have been covered under warranty. The main issue for me was the awful 1.6tdi engine. 0-60 in over 12 seconds, awful in this day and age. Car would struggle to overtake in 5th or 6th gear, and would also struggle up minor hills in second gear and advise you to drop into 1st! Because the engine is so weak, fuel economy is very, very poor as you have to drive the car hard in lower gears. Urge everyone to get the 2.0tdi if possible, as the 1.6tdi will frustrate keen drivers. Now driving a VW CC 2.0tdi 140 that averages 55mpg. That's economy you expect from a Tdi Bluemotion engi

Rob O'Hare, June 6th 2013

TDI Bluemotion Tech Highline 5dr

I have this model with the sports seat option. This may seem absurd with a 0-62 time that is measured in days but if you are not a fat slug the standard seats are over generous. Of course the economy on this car is far below the published figures. I like the little 1.6 diesel but this should only be considered by Doris Day fans. The car is not cumbersome to drive despite its size. I never worry about resale value but this is a good value purchase at the time of writing. The interior is reasonably durable but lacks any real sense of style (fortunately). Until VW replace this it seems an ideal purchase for anyone who wants a decent car that will be ignored by other road users but still provide an undemanding and reassuring driving experience and considerable comfort. If the statement you wish to make is 'boring old fart' choosing this vehicle will save you the cost of a bumper sticker.

Chris Poole, February 21st 2013

TDI Bluemotion Tech Executive 5dr

Chris Poole, February 21st 2013

TDI Bluemotion Tech SE 4dr

Company car driver, commuting to work everyday in combination of motorway and town/queing traffic and had the car 4 months. I love the feel/drive of the car, and is really easy and comforting as you "drift" along. Would have preferred the 2 litre version, but did not come into the List Price my company uses to base it purchases on, as the 1.6 is a little underpowered to my mind. That said, when up and running at speed, it is happy to cruise along very comfortably. Annoyed they brought out the Highline version just after I ordered the SE (with all the options that it now includes!) as meant it being a real result of a car! I really like it, and would not swap it for anything else in its category. Just as good a drive and as much "fun" (what does that actually mean?!) as a Mondeo, but cheaper to own as a company car (ridiculous Ford List Prices!) Mine is in the Autumn Brown and it looks great (I think all the Greys/Silvers, etc. are just soooooo dull and boring as EVERYBODY has them!)

Ashley Brown, January 21st 2013

TDI 170 Bluemotion Tech Sport 4dr

Bought the Passat 2.0tdi bluemotion 170, specs stated 52mpg town 68mpg motorway, Although we all know getting these is almost imposs ! the best I can get town driving is on the dash 45mpg yet from filling the tank to the brim and then refilling comes back at a mer 32mpg at best. Motorway driving staying at 70mph shows 68mpg on dash, but again filling back to the brim gives a massive 47mpg, NOTHING like the specs given by Vw even if you was to remove 10mpg from the specs its still nothing like they say you get and when taking back to the dealer they just fob you off. dealers just take your car put on a computer and then say nothing wrong. then come back with all the rubbish of run with less fuel blah blah (even though it would then be a unstable reading as you are told not to allow the tank to run dry. About time specs given by dealers are the specs you can get, like you wage is going to be Β£200 then givin you Β£80 and saying well its a average figure. Anyone able to help on this please do get intouch as the car now has 12k miles on it and at this rate will be gone before it has 20k.

Geoff Howarth, December 2nd 2012

TDI Bluemotion Tech S 5dr

I rented this car for a weekend for a 400 mile round trip for 5 adults. I was not shown how to start the engine (pretty basic stuff) but had no problem with it. Unfortunately I rented it in High Wycombe and within 3 minutes had to negotiate a hill-start with the electronic handbrake, what's that all about? The driver's seat was the most uncomfortable I have come across in a modern car and I woke up this morning with a stiff neck from the way the head restraint poked forward. The 4 passengers were quite comfy. Heating, aircon and demisting were all excellent, fortunately, because I woke up this morning to a heavy frost. BUT, there are 3 varieties of clock on the dashboard and no external thermometer, even my small supermini has that. And the dashboard is SO bossy, "depress the clutch" "depress the brake pedal" "Bluetooth connectivity not found"!!!!! and telling the driver to change up/down, I should think anyone who can afford to dive this car has been driving long enough to know when to do that!

Mary Faulkner, November 18th 2012

S TDI 5dr

I have driven my Passat for over 100,000 miles and here are some of the pros and cons. Pros: It's a good looking car. It's fuel economy is good....averaging around 45mpg. Best tankfull- 55mpg, worst- 41mpg, giving me a generous range of 650-700 miles. The build quality is as good as you should expect from a VW, the interior is hard wearing without being pretty, but then Germans do practical not pretty, which is what I wanted from this car. All in all I would say a very practical car that fits my needs well. Cons: Beware, when it goes wrong it's expensive. The unnecessary electronic handbrake would have cost me Β£700+ to fix at a dealer, a faulty ECU cost me Β£1500 and 11 days off the road, a fault with the electronic ingnition would have cost me Β£800+ to fix at a dealer. The ignition fault has had a recall in the USA but here VW refuse to admit that there's an issue! Even though the car cuts out whilst driving. If you search the VW forums you will find hundreds of similar cases relating to this issue but VW UK still buries it's head in the sand. When I called VW UK I was told because our safety laws differ from those in the USA, VW UK will not issue a recall for this fault. VW really needs to be careful on this issue, because it's famous build quality reputation is being eroded by the faults on this model. In conclusion- don't expect trouble free motoring, it'll cost you.

Simon Nock, West Sussex, November 9th 2012

SE TDI 5dr

I ran this car for 4 years covering around 100k from a starting mileage of 13k. The best thing was the engine which although noisy and unrefined was reliable & returned consistently good MPG. The worst things were constant problems with uneven & early tyre wear (despite multiple 4 wheel alignment visits to VW & tyre centres) and the utterly useless servo parking brake which failed to auto release 25% of the time and would auto release when in neutral! After 100k the suspension was worn and the paintwork was lifting in several places. Had problems with airbag fault, diesel pump,rear washer pump, front wheel bearing failure & door handle falling off which were all fixed under warranty. The brakes are good but the handling & performance aren't great, as one would expect for a 1.9 diesel estate. This is not a car that you like - its the economics that make sense, but after 4 years and rust starting to appear I was glad to sell it on and look for something quieter, more comfortable & with better performance.

Mark Wilkin, October 9th 2012

TDI Bluemotion Tech S 4dr

After owning a 3 year old 2.0 TDi Passat Highline with only a mere 29K on the clock,I recently decoded to purchase a late 2011 Passat 2.0 Tdi Blue Motion S with a milage of 14K. To say I am satisfied is an understatement,I didn't think for one minute that it could surpass my Highline for comfort and all round driver satisfaction,but quite amazingly it has on nearly all counts. The deciding factor initially which drove me to go for this model was the reduced price from a local VW dealer,plus the fact that previously my insurance and road tax cost me Β£730 a year,and now this is reduced (after changing insurers) to Β£410 a year.Furthermore this car is even better on mpg than my Highline.Already I am averaging around 57 mpg,quite fantastic. In conclusion I am very pleased with this car,I particularly like the Blue Motion technology of stop/start which I think is a great idea of saving fuel instead of ticking over needlessly when stationary burning fuel.A great overall saving on a years motoring costs. For a large car it has everything,excellent build quality,economical to run,excellent to drive,all in all simply a great all rounder.

Brian Scott, Lancashire, August 3rd 2012

TDI Bluemotion Tech S 4dr

I have always somehow hated VW's for their obvious and dull design and I reluctantly accepted this one as my company car... well, after nearly a year of use and well over 50.000 km on the clock I must admit I am totally surprised! I am a keen driver and I do trash it around quite severely; but the car seams to be made out solid rock: no squeeks, no rattles, everything working as if it has just got off the production line. After owning an A4 and 5 series and recently a S-Max, I have to admit, this one drives very well - sporty when needed and relaxing on the long trips. Mine is the 4-motion version, which, I believe, gives it additional grip and it is great to drive on snowy roads (great fun too, if you wish some thrills...). The average consumption is 7 ltr/100 km, which for a car of this size, the permanent 4-wheel drive, my heavy right foot and 200 km daily on the highway, is a miracle. But also other costs are well below the rest of the cars I owned: the regular service is 200 EUR. The drawbacks? Hmmmm... none. Well, perhaps the design, which is neat, but a little anonimuos. But yet again, this car is not meant to show off. Perhaps I wonly wish it had a few gadgets more, such as the DSG gear box and perhaps that it had a dozen of BHPs more. But all in all, a great car and after cruising from badge to badge, this Passat makes me put the hated VW brand on top of my wishlist for my future car choices.

Dejan Bozic, April 22nd 2012