Volvo C30 Hatchback Owner reviews

[150] R DESIGN 3dr

After having this car for a month now, I absolutely think that it is the best comparable car that I have driven. It is quiet, easy to drive, comfortable, well put together and the G3 engine is a peach. Having driven most equivalent sized cars as hire cars, I was set on an A3. But this is soo much better. The A3 may have a nicer interior, but this is so much more a modern and balanced car. And dont start on VAGs Illusionary reliability. And having a test drive of the BMW1 Coupe, like driving a 70s transit! The only downside is a lack of steering feel. And of course it has 4 seats, and a small boot. But you would have to be an idiot to not know this before contemplating buying one. So not really a negative that the reviewers make out! The basic music is below average, but speaker upgrade improves. But for equivalent prices, the Volvo is much better second hand value than the over rated and underspeced Germanic marquees.

Simon Floyd, Somerset, November 19th 2013

[150] R DESIGN Lux 3dr

We bought the car second hand and it has exceeded our expectations. The ride is firm but it helps with the handling. Yes mpg is less than claimed but still get 50mpg on a good day. The R Design Lux look great and has all the toys. Value for money it is great against a less spec'd A3.

Andrew Ferguson, August 22nd 2013

D R DESIGN Sport 3dr

I've only owned my car for about a week but I have to say how impressed I am with it. The smooth power delivery from the fantastic 1.6D engine really inspires confidence when overtaking and pulling out from junctions. The cabin is just sublime with that Swedish design flair we've come to expect from Volvo and those seats, they are the most comfortable I have ever sat in. My model, being the R-Design has the sports body kit and detailing inside which makes it look stunning and is definitely a head turner in the metallic black with chrome door mirrors. Fuel consumption seems to be excellent and is doing a lot more MPG than my old petrol corsa. A brilliant car, just a shame that Volvo are discontinuing it because apart from a lack of bootspace, it's perfect.

Adam Brannon, East Yorkshire, November 20th 2012

D DRIVe SE 3dr

I sold my C30 (59 plate) in March this year basically because it is a style statement not in any shape or form practical, so please bear this is mind if you are considering one. The boot is tiny and the access is terrible, with the seats down it is reasonably decent in size but the hatch opening is not big. Performance - Not bad once run in, but that took 7,000 miles Ride and Handling - Pretty good sticks to the roads and ignores the bumps Economy - Forget about achieving the 70mpg or so, the best I ever got was 68mpg and that was because the A1 had a 50mph limit for for a very long way (a couple of years back). Everyday driving would get me roughly 49mpg or 52 if I was a good boy. The build quality is very good, using quality materials.

Stephen Kellett, WIltshire, June 9th 2012

D DRIVe SE 3dr

I have owned the C30 for 18 months from new. The gear shift is horrendous, it is extremly difficult to move up & down through the gears, often requiring a double clutch dip to acheive. As a 1.6 it is extremly underpowered around town. It has no punch to pull away from junctions, or even up slight inclines, the power just 'dies' when pulling away. To make use of the 5th gear requires speeds in execces of 40 mph. Once cruising spead is acheived however, there is no problem, it is just getting the car up to speed. On the plus side, the build & trim are very good. This is my 1st volvo & probably my last.

Gary Dawson, Durham, November 3rd 2011

D DRIVe S 3dr [Start Stop]

Mines white (is that a typical female comment??) , Find this model is a headturner, very responsive but frugle engine, a joy to drive!! Had to have some brickwork removed in garage to allow me to get out of car though! (long door being only a 2 door car). My only gripe is that when I ordered the car I didn't realise that steering wheel mounted audio controls weren't standard (as they now seem to be on similar cars in this class and were on my 3 year old Astra!!) So I am having to live without them!! Have been told I can't have them retro-fitted either..boo hiss!!

Marie Hodgson, West Yorkshire, March 17th 2011

D R DESIGN Sport 3dr

Had this car for just over a week now so early days but so far so good. Its fun to drive looks brilliant and is built excelentley!! Have found one problem the boot hatch is a little small for getting larger items in and out (i.e. paintings from Ikea) Even though every morning i go out to work it brings a little smile to my face

adam chipchase, January 31st 2009

D R DESIGN SE Sport 3dr

I bought the car new in May 2008 and am very happy with it overall. My main complaint is the manufacturers claimed 49+mpg average which is nowhere near the reality. So far on 6000 miles I have managed an average of 44mpg and even when driving as economically as possible this only just creeps over 45mpg. Also other owners tell me to expect a nasty thump in the wallet come servicing time too. On the plus side, and there are many, the car looks fabulous (mine is bright red) and is not a common sight on the roads. Reliability and build quality have been first rate with only a minor rattle to return the car for. This was sorted by my excellent dealer on one visit. The car is good to drive but I would have prefered a little more feel and fun on a car which is aimed at this particular market. The interior is simply superb in its quality and functionality with very comfortable seats. One can drive for miles and miles and still feel comfortable. I was considering an Audi A3 at first, but the C30 offers more exclusivity, better value and a higher specification. One must have option though, is the high performace audio with the ipod connection, it is worth every pound.

Gary Hunter, North Lincolnshire, November 3rd 2008

R DESIGN SE Sport 3dr [230]

I bought this car in July in ice white, like the TV advert, except I got 18- inch alloys on mine, they set the car off much better than the standard rims. I disagree with a previous review that the white is awful, I do like the blue but the white looks totally fantastic, I have never seen so many heads turn, both men and women, at a 20k car. I upgraded the sound system, which is really worth it, as well as adding ipod connectivity, the winter pack and power folding mirrors. Performance wise this engine is very good. I tested loads of cars from an A5 3.2 V6 to a Golf R32 as well as a 3-series coupe and Civic Type R. The volvo can't match the R32 for sheer explosive pace nor does it have the grumble of the V6 but it is very capable of holding its own. The long gearing means 60 is attenable in 2nd gear and it doesn't take long to get there either. The seats are very comfortable for long journeys and the handling, whilst good isn't as sharp as some rivals. This car is more a cruiser than an a hot hatch like perhaps its Focus ST rival but it is something different from the norm and it is decent value for money- apart from the fuel economy. Though if your worried about mid 20 to the gallon you wouldn't be looking at a car like this in the first place.

Ben Getty, Down, October 16th 2008

D SE Sport 3dr

having brought the car 2nd hand from a main dealer. i had to take the car back within 48 hrs wipers worn and a list of 18 faults this might be the dealer well if you can check under the car the rust i have found on the drive shafts engine block and on the injectors is bad i would not advice anyone to by volvo noe days

mark burton, bucks, September 29th 2008

D S 3dr

I've had this car for 3 months now from new and done 2,500 mainly motorway miles in it. I'm sorry to say I'm disappointed and am looking to change it. It's comfortable enough for 2 people but (being 3-door) access to the rear seats is really poor. Whilst the rear hatch looks really nifty the flexible 'luggage cover' is absolutely dreadful. A hard cover is available from Volvo at an extra £250 but the dealership in Cardiff still haven't been able to show me one. The biggest disappointment is the fuel economy. Volvo (and 'What Car?') claim over 60mpg on long runs. Forget it! I've done a number of 400 and 500 mile round trips and even though my right foot is nowhere near 'heavy' the best I've managed is 47.8mpg.

Huw Griffiths, Gwent, September 14th 2008

R DESIGN Sport 3dr

I have tested the Golf, Honda Civic, Renault magaine sports tourer and now the volvo C30 R-design sport and from the time I saw the Volvo I think my mind was made up, it has the looks to turn heads with good performance and exceptional comfort, I can't understand why anyone would compare this in the same leauge as the Golf as I tried the golf and found it dated but got in the C30 and it's a car with comfort and plenty of reatures as standard such as the cruis3e control and dynamic stability control (don't ask me what it does) I had the car for a day and ordered mine when I came back into the dealership, I tested the 1.6 but will be getting the 1.8 purely for the fact that as a motability customer the extra £150 for the bigger engine seems worth it, The feel of the interior is again that of a much more expensive car and the build quality looks like it's built to last, I will do a review again after a year and let you know.

Chris Monks, Bristol, August 3rd 2008

D R DESIGN Sport 3dr

had the car for 7 days and it has proved excellent value for money Being White and similar to the add has attracted a lot of interest from both old and young The only down side is the boot it simply needs to b e more practical for every day living

max ollerton, June 28th 2008

SE Lux 3dr

I was looking for an alternative to the ubiquitous boxes of BMW 1 Series, Audi A3s and Golfs. Although the sector of this market is full of choice, there's very little that actually grabs you. Except the new Volvo C30. My wife and I immediately fell for the sheer look of it. From its big backside with the strange set of light clusters at the back, to the coupe style designed side. This is a very pretty car. The best thing about this model is the nice touches you wouldn't normally find on a car of this size. Heated leather seats, Climate Control, Cruise Control, electric folding mirrors and memory seat for the driver. The floating centre consol is a work of art. Its catnip for blokes. Lots of buttons and toys to play with. Its a lovely car to drive and it's very smooth. You kind of waft to your destination. The seats are really comfy and as I do a lot of motorway driving, this is a huge bonus. The two seats in the back are very comfy too, if a little awkward to get to. Downsides? The boot is a bit small and you can't turn off the lights! Typical Volvo. I normally get bored with cars after a couple of years. Somehow, I think this is going to be a keeper.

Jason Colombat, May 19th 2008

SE Lux 3dr

I've been very pleasantly surprised by this car, I've had it for a month now. I got it after reluctantly trading in an unreliable new BMW after only a few months. It's not as good to drive as my 3 series but it's still perfectly nice. The handling and ride are fine, the engine's torquey and reasonably economical, and the brakes are good. It's very solid and nicely finished. The seats are brilliant, and in SE Lux trim, you get just about everything you need. Plus you don't see that many around, so it's not much of a "me too" car. Quibbles? Although it looks good, the switches on the centre stack are a bit confusing when you're driving. The headlights aren't brilliant on dipped beam, although full beam is fine. It could do with a 6th gear on the motorway. And the luggage cover is a joke. One great thing - buy a new Volvo and you can take it back to the dealer after 3 months for a free check to make sure everything's working properly. Great idea, it's a pity more manufacturers don't offer that.

Simon Duffy, December 10th 2007

R DESIGN SE Sport 3dr [230]

There doesn't seem to be a perfect car. This is the seventh car I have owned and I have driven many others. I am very happy with it. It looks great and draws looks from most of the people that walk past it outside our front door. Interestingly, women look at this car too, not just men. I really enjoy driving it; the T5 has a very responsive engine, whatever gear it is in, and it holds the road fairly well, with easy suspension over bumps and comfortable ride. The interior design is great; it would have been good to be able to squeeze a third person in the back seat, but all the seats are extremely comfortable. Getting to the back seat is tricky but you get used to it. I tried out the VW Eos Individual and the Audi S3 before settling on this car - it won my heart by a mile and I have stopped looking at car magazines, adverts and other models with envy!

John Lee, October 21st 2007

D SE 3dr

I bought this car after looking at virtually every other make going (honestly). I just kept coming back to this one because it's so quirky. I had quite a few concerns about its practicalities, but the look won me over. I have had the car for a month now and I am just getting used to it. I am used to driving petrol cars so driving a 1.6 diesel is taking time to get used to. The biggest bugbear I have is the access to the rear seats. I struggle to pull the seats forward and to get them to fold down enough to get friends in and out easily. The rear seats are nice, though, once in them! T he other bugbear is the boot, which, although reasonably spacious, has very high access. The boot space cover is very irritating - it takes ages messing about putting it in place and fixing it down. I may try a hard cover later in year. The truly best bit (other than the glorious "floating" control panel) is the comfort of the seats. They're the best in any class - even better than Mercedes. That is what really sold it to me.

Paddy Nottingham, May 29th 2007

S 3dr

i bought this car in april and must admit it is one of the best small cars around, i had a choice of an audi a3, bmw 1 series and a ford focus st, i went for this model as i am 25 so insurance costs and running cost were very important to me and this car came out on top, it looks like it will hold its value pretty well to which is important to me. to drive it is superb i would not normally consider a volvo but i think the company has changed and its image is better than many other companies. there have been no problems with my car and even though it is the basic model it still turns plenty of heads, including the ladies. once ive had it for a few months i will be able to report on a longer term basis but for now i am very happy!

jay singh, yorkshire, April 28th 2007

D SE 3dr

The C30 is far from unimaginative - look at the back end and profile!!!!!!!! It's four thousand times more imaginative than the Golf or Focus!!!!!!! It isn't really cramped, either - the two seats in the back are better than those in the MINI anyway!!! I love it, and is my second favourite car in its class after the Civic. The Nissan Qashqai comes a close third.

Callum Peters, April 6th 2007

S 3dr

This car is fantastic! I got the base model 1.6 S, and I got it at six months old to 'cost-cut' a bit. It's my first car, and it's so good I don't see myself changing it in a good five years at least - possibly more. It copes very well with my 40 miles a day to and from my college, it has never let me down, the interior fixtures and fittings are great, and surprisingly I've been able to get 45mpg from it, and I don't drive slowly! So overall, it's brilliant, apart from the cost (it's a little expensive), and the boot is a little small. However, that doesn't matter to me at all - I could carry 10 rucksacks! I test-drove the Seat Leon, the VW Golf, and the Mazda 3, but this was the obvious choice.

tom davies, hants, March 3rd 2007