D [175] DRIVe SE Lux 5dr

First of all I'll start with the bad points, of which unfortunately, there are a few. If youre thinking of buying one of these based on its fuel economy figures, think again. I have the so called economical 2.4 DRIVe version of this car and I can tell you it does no where near the official economy figures..not even close!Its been averaging about 32mpg which I feel is a bit on the poor side. Admittedly it does do a lot of short journeys but even on a long run, the most I've seen is 46mpg, but that was with an average speed of less than 40mph over an 80 mile run. Other points of note are the small vibrations through the steering wheel at about 1500rpm, which over a relatively short distance is enough to make my hands tingle and go slightly numb. Then there's the constant rattle from somewhere in the rear view mirror and the little clicking noise emitted from the drivers seat belt into my right ear every time you go over a small bump in the road. Ride quality I feel is harsh. The car crashes through larger holes in the road. Wind and road noise, contrary to what most tests say, is actually quite audible (especially wind noise above 65mph). The standard radio is of the lower quality sound wise. Seats/Driving Position for me at least,are not overly comfortable,often leaving me with neck ache. Steering is quite heavy. Build quality is generally OK. Good Points..It looks quite nice and the Bi-Xenon light are good. Not a lot else I'm afraid. Wish I had kept my Lexus! MUCH better car!

Paul Barnes, Cambridgeshire, February 26th 2015

[163] SE 5dr

I have owned Volvo cars now for the last 15 years, and having just taken delivery of the 2015 XC60 - this has to be the best I have driven yet. I chose the SE D4 front wheel drive, as it gives the best fuel economy and emission control, without compromising on the performance. The Sensus Connect system works well, and when paired with the Premium Sound system (Harman Karmon)it provides a mind-blowing music system which can also access internet radio stations and more. The seats are very comfortable, with an electric operated lumbar support adjustment as standard. The dashboard layout is modern looking and slick. It is a shame that the rear seats no longer have a centre fold-down section with cupholders as standard (these are now in the door pockets) but overall the quality of the interior is superb. The flexibility of the rear luggage storage space is excellent, the rear seats fold down flat in a 40/20/40 pattern, likewise with the front passenger seat. Well done Volvo, your car re-designs over recent years has worked well with the XC60 and others.

Alan Lace-Evans, Surrey, October 10th 2014

[181] SE 5dr

Alan Lace-Evans, Surrey, October 10th 2014

[304] R DESIGN Lux Nav 5dr AWD Geartronic

I have had a 7 day test drive of the XC60 D4 AWD Auto R-Design Lux Nav with upgraded Alloys during which I covered over 1000 miles. This waqs a truly excellent vehicle which surprised and deelighted myself and the family. Space for 4 large adults no problem with good boot space and other storage. Easy to drive and D4 engine coupled with auto box was excellent also. Engine pulled well and coped with the Northumberland hills and scottish highlands without problem. Cabin very solid and all the toys you would expect on this spec. The cabin was sharp with the R-design trim lifting the interior - Part Leather Sports Seats are the best of any crossover vehicle I've tested. 4x4 was ok off-road for a crossover and good on country tracks but better on tarmac surfaces and motorways. The XC60 also coped well with a range of roads and cornered as well as the Mazda, and much better than the Tiguan, Honda, QashQai, etc. over a variety of road types. Sat Nav easy to use but map of Northumberland again needs updating (a common fault on Sat Navs). Blu Tooth was easy to set up and operate and calls were quite clear. Road noise acceptable even at speed. Steering was accurate and light around town when parking. Fuel economy was circa 30 on the daily commute but around 40 on runs out but I was driving carefully

Neal Hann, Tyne & Wear, March 18th 2014

[304] R DESIGN Lux Nav 5dr AWD Geartronic

Neal Hann, Tyne & Wear, March 18th 2014

[181] SE Lux Nav 5dr

Great looking inside & out. Good performance & economy. Very roomy & practical. Now for the bad bits, worse car I've ever had for ride comfort; unless the road is smooth it picks up every single undulation, pot hole & imperfection going. I live in the countryside & have to drive over some pretty poor surfaces - it just becomes very tedious after a while having ones head tossed about. One thing I have learnt form this is; always test drive a vehicle over your own patch. Auto gearbox is sluggish, engine noisy (to be fair; I would have put up with it). Poor instruments; grey on grey for goodness sake! Appalling electronic parking brake positioned on right of steering wheel & counter-intuitive; push to engage. Everybody else pulls up for parking. Small fiddly buttons on centre consul & also on right of s/wheel you cant see. Then there was the factory fitted tyres, a summer spec that was useless in the cold icy weather & gave a hard ride. Why not all season tyres Volvo not everybody wants to go to the expense of a set of winter tyres? Just not good enough. I've now got so fed up with the ride that the car has been sold on after just 3 months.

george roughan, norfolk, August 30th 2013

[163] SE Lux Nav 5dr

george roughan, norfolk, August 30th 2013

[205] R DESIGN 5dr AWD

Traded in my Volvo C70 2.0D Convertible Coupe which I absolutely loved for a pre-registered XC60 "Passion Red" that I just had to have when visiting the show room 3 weeks go! Stunning looking car inside and out, friends and family well impressed I have to say. Well down to the nitty gritty - absolutely love it so far. Very smooth, plenty of "oomph" from the 2.4 diesel engine when you need it. I'm up and down the A90 every week and so comfort and smooth ride is extremely important to me, and I must say I haven't been disappointed. No cabin wind noise to speak of. Seats wrap around you. Yes some of the floating console buttons are a but smaller than normal but certainly not an issue. Lots of room in rear and boot is huge, haven't even got round to folding the seats flat yet, so even more to come I guess. The only minor disappointment I have is the MPG which seems quite low but hey ho, it is a 2.4 engine so driving around the city it does guzzle a bit, however I am still getting a reasonable return for my main 150 mile journey up and down. So in summary, all good so far, but let's see what the winter brings as per some other readers reviews, I'll be sure to provide feedback if anything negative arises, like demisting issues, tyre grip etc.!

Brian Love, North Lanarkshire, August 6th 2013

[163] DRIVe SE Lux Premium 5dr

This car is my first Volvo. Overall I am extremely pleased with the XC60 Crossover. I consider the exterior styling to be superb. I purchased the car with the full body-pack - back and front panels and side tread plates. When the car was new - 2009 - I always turned heads. Colour is cosmic white with shaded windows which contrast the body colour nicely. Inside is sophisticated and understated. It oozes scandinavian quality and design. My engine is not the most flexible it must be admittted. Frequent changes of gear are required. However if you want economy from a vehicle weighing nearley 2 tons then this is the price you pay. There are more flexible engine options available. Despite my model being 2 wheel drive I never have trouble in snow - including the infamous Basingstoke 2010 episode. I have previousely owned BMW, Audi and Toyota high end models but the Volvo is my best car yet. I can seriously recommend this car.

peter shadwell, Hampshire, August 2nd 2013

[215] R DESIGN Lux 5dr AWD

Owned for almost a year now. Bought second hand with very low mileage - nearly new. Overall I am a bit less than satisfied with the ownership experience. On a practical level there are some really annoying design flaws with this car. I recently drove it to France for our ski holiday and have to say the four wheel drive is very poor. OK it is the R Design with lower profile tyros but they simply spin up on any snow. You need snow chains! (never required on our CRV). The front windscreen takes forever to clear any frost and most annoying the rear doors and boot stick shut on anything below -1 degree! You cannot get into the car. Volvo dealer says it's normal - not true the CRV doors always opened. The front windscreen wipers have a huge cavity they rest in behind the bonnet which simply fills up with snow and any other crud. So your wiper blades are stuck when you need them most. Inside (again this may be due to R Design) the seats are to narrow. I am only 36 waiist. Unusual for a Volvo but it is just uncomfortable. Very difficult tom know this on a couple of hours test drive. Handbrake is simply a daft design. Economy is pretty good and motorway cruising is very good at 80 mph. Engine is a litle gruff when pushed. Rear passengers find the cabin too enclosing - kids find it difficult to see out due to high door line. Controls are quite nice but for the price I think I made a mistake. Think carefully and demand a long test drive.

Jon Parker, Oxford, February 24th 2013

[205] SE Lux Premium 5dr AWD

It's one of the best cars I have driven - the interior is very classy, very practical, the space is enough for a family. Maybe in the back I would welcome some more knee room but no one will feel uncomfortable. The driver's position is excellent, it's extremely comfortable. Yes, the dash buttons are a bit smaller but it's not something annoying, they are even pleasant looking and itΒ΄s not a real reason you shouldnΒ΄t buy this car. The boot is enormous, you can have perfectly flat floor if you bend down the rear seat backs. There are different accessories for the boot that will make your life easier (you should order them). For 20000 miles - no reliability worries. The engine is powerful enough - you will feel confident every time you need to overtake. ItΒ΄s the dream car for your family with a lot of safety features, etc. But there are some bad points which will stop me from buying this car: 1.The fuel consumption is not very good, you should load up diesel time and time again. The best I have achieved in a journey in the country (country roads and motorways) is 39mpg but I have applied all the rules I know to save fuel. Normally the mixed driving is around 30mpg and in the city the things are very bad indeed 22mpg. 2. Whatcar says the refinement is 4 stars but actually the engine is very gruff when you overtake and there is a lot of road noise on coarse surfaces. Just ignoring this fact (the road noise) I think their review about the car is excellent.

Kiril Petrov, August 9th 2012

[215] SE Lux 5dr AWD Geartronic

An update to my review since I’ve now had the car two and a half years. The summary is that everything I noted in the first week either still wows me or still annoys me. So what’s new? The bad is that the fuel economy is iffy - 28 to 34mpg depending on the type of journey/weight of foot. The rear doors can stick in sub-zero temperatures due to the rubber seal at the top getting frozen to the body (although running an windscreen scraper along the join frees it in seconds). Extras I wish I’d ordered - heated front screen, 4C suspension (mostly because I’m getting old and want a squishy ride) and speed adaptive steering. The good side is everything else. Things to note - it’s been 100% reliable and has had nothing but new tyres in terms of maintenance in the 20,000 miles I’ve put on it. It’s even more comfortable and quiet than I realised when I first got it (I don’t get people who say there’s wind noise or gruff engines – it just isn’t true) and the car has worn very well (it barely looks 6 months old). The running costs are also more reasonable than they first appear - the service costs are reasonable and the depreciation class leading. So ignore the fuel economy - especially with Β£1/litre approaching, it's not that important with my type of mileage. I really love this car - I can’t find anything better at less than twice the price. So, since it’s up for replacement soon, I’m ordering a new one with the options I missed last time. PS Don't forget to order heate

Nick Riordan, July 4th 2012

[163] SE Lux Premium 5dr Geartronic

Bought this car (10 plate) second hand with 25000 miles on the clock. Now just completed my first 1000 miles and have enjoyed every one! Build quality is excellent, equipment level is very high, and the driving position is superb. Other reviews have criticised the fiddly Sat Nav controls situated behind the steering wheel, but I find them easy and intuitive to use with my only criticism that it's difficult to enter an address by postcode rather than by a conventional address. Only other slight niggle is that if you use the fancy keyless entry system that sometimes when you unlock the door that the retractable door mirrors sometimes don't un-retract... which is easy to rectify once your in the car, but annoying... Average mpg so far is ~38 - which for such a large car doesn't seem too bad. Performance is good, with plenty of torquey acceleration if you put your foot down. Overall a very good car and I'm looking forward to spending some quality time behind the wheel...

Paul Yates, Cambs, June 1st 2012

[215] SE Premium 5dr AWD Geartronic

puchaced this car seond hand 18000 mls one of the best i have owned where volvo get ther 40 mpg from would like to know average 33 max must have done the test down hill ? a solid well built car not to bad of road but no 4x4 recomended to anyone who want a car thats a good all rounder

keith smith, staffordshire, November 30th 2011

[205] SE Premium 5dr AWD

I have recently come back from a 1500 mile round trip for a skiing holiday in France. Whilst the weather was not bad the car handled whatever was thrown at it superbly and provided excellent space for all 4 passengers. I have previously carried out the same journey in a SAAB which was in itself very comfortable but not as relaxed as the Volvo (I do prefer the seats in the SAAB however). Despite being loaded up with all the equipment and 4 people the car still had plenty of power to accelerate when required and I managed 500 miles between fill ups when sitting at the French limit of 80mph (130km/h)so around 34/35mpg which is not bad. My only real problems with the Volvo are trim working loose on the doors, indicators that cancel left when indicating right and it keeps blowing bulbs. The SAT NAV also does take some strange routes and guided me back through Paris - there should be an option on the TMC re-routing to say to ignore a problem. This would stop it trying to route you on a 20 mile detour around roadworks at 2.00am just because they are roadworks. On the whole 8 out of 10 - would I buy another one? possibly but not with an auto box

Stuart Metcalfe, March 14th 2011

[205] SE Lux Premium 5dr AWD

Just completed 80,000 miles in my 2 year old XC60. Its worked hard for a living, driving up to 400 miles a day, everyday, all over the UK. It has been 100% reliable, not even a puncture to blemish the record. Has made for a fantastic motorway cruiser and family car, but a bit too bouncy and 'rolly' on the B roads. Has enough shove for smart overtakes, but anything at/near the national limit can require a bit of bravery or planning depending on your mood. Not too bad to run cost-wise, largely due to great reliability. I averaged 33MPG, with up to 41 possible when cruising in low '70s. Cheap for the weight/size as it is a fantastic family removal van! Interior faultless for quality. Amazing hi-fi, seats etc... and intuitive controls, but that Sat Nav is sooooo poor. Works accurately, but the graphics are so dated it can actually be unreadable on the move. Loved the remote tailgate, plus leather soft and 'fat'.... nice! Finally a word on the dealers - I only experienced one, Lipscomb in Kent. One word - perfect!

Greg Quinn, Kent, December 21st 2010

SE Lux 5dr

I test drove an auto, fully loaded with all the bells and whistles. Comfortable and stable in the bends but on a very gentle run I only managed to get 33mpg. That is as indicated on the computer, but they can be 10% inaccurate so I suspect it did nearer 30. The glove box is tiny and a ridiculous shape and the door pockets are pathetic. Why did Volv0 put the electric parking brake on the right hand side of the steering wheel? It is out of sight and almost out of reach unless you sit very close to the wheel. It is only a switch so why not put it on the centre console? The car had some sort of running board fitted. They weren't big enough to stand on to facilitate entry to or exit from the vehicle and it was impossible to stride over them without wiping your trousers across them, just what you want in winter conditions. Nice try Volvo but I feel that this vehicle is largely a triumph of style over function and after having V70s for some 15years I shall give this one a miss.

John Gilbert, Lincolnshire, December 20th 2008

D SE Lux 5dr

I changed from a Volvo V50 to this particular car with use of an XC90 for six months in between. I have to say it is thoroughly impressive. Like the review above I didn't experience reverberation through the pedals and if anything when pushing the engine hard marvel at the sound that exudes from the car. The geartronic auto is smooth and refined with the ride being supple on open roads and steady on twists and turns. The cabin layout is intuitive and while some of the buttons are small (the same as V50) you do quickly get used to them. It’s the small things about the car that make you realise the thought that has gone into the design. When the boot is opened the rear lights illuminate to offer greater visibility day and night for potential traffic around you. The automatic rear demist clears when the temperature drops below a set temperature or the humidity sensor senses higher humidity than set parameters. All round, this has to be the best car I have owned and this is my fifth new Volvo in recent years. The variable speed control is impressively reassuring when on motorways while the blind spot information system is an excellent assistant for safer lane changes. I have yet to test the city safety but the demonstration I experienced at the dealership only adds to the security you feel when driving a Volvo. The new What Car magazine (Jan 09) sums up the XC60, It beat hands down the Freelander, Q5 and Subaru Forester. It is the best compact 4x4 available, in my opinion.

Tony Pedley, BERKSHIRE, December 15th 2008

S 5dr

I tested this car for an hour and my first driving impressions are very good. Supremely comfortable, quiet, resonably quick and agile. Classy cabin, excellent materials, good seats, even if not highly supportive. Cornering might not be its strength, but what SUV is different, if you forget the extremely uncomfortable X3? I must disagree with your harsh criticism of the D5 engin: I did not realize any vibrations whatsoever, no unpleasant noise. Once again -try the X3 2.0d and you will know something about unrefined engins! XC60 is certainly a very quiet car, even compared to my current S60, which is already rather satisfactory from this point of view. Having read your review before my test drive, I was pleasantly suprised.

Ludek Rychly, November 12th 2008