Volvo S80 Owner reviews

SE 4dr [Geartronic]

excellent car extremely powerfull and a lot of car for the money will easily keep up with its competitors ie BMW M5 at a fraction of the cost. bullet proof engineering an excellent buy but only if you can get over the badge and the stigma of the old man image you have a wolf in sheeps clothing. not for the faint hearted or the sunday driver.

shaun thompson, lancashire, December 23rd 2008

D5 SE 4dr

The Volvo S80 is an Excellent car for long journeys and has good fuel consumption for a very good for a large automatic. The faults with the car are as follows, some of the interior plastics are of poor quality for an executive car, the D5 is noisy at idle and is down on power and refinement compared to the german Marques. For a car of large proportions the boot is surprisingly small and the ski hatch is very difficult to open. On the plus side the seats are fantastic, rear legroom is very impressive and the stereo system is class leading. All in all a good car but with the market the way it is an Audi A8 3.0 tdi Quattro can be bought for similar money although running costs will be considerabley higher.

Seumas Fraser, December 18th 2008

4dr

I bought the car brand new in December 1998 at a cost of 30k, it was my company car, with all teh extras i could get at teh time. a 2.9 Se auto, with Sat-Nav telephone, electric everything sunroof etc, i ran teh car every day for 6 years and covered a total of 272000 miles in it. teh car averages 25 miles per gallon locally and in the motor way with teh cruise set at 70 does about 40 mpg. teh car is silky smooth, has only a 4 speed box and is much more reliable than the later geartronic ones. i had an electrical problem with the car in 2001 when it had covered about 100,00 mniles which took my local Volvo dealership 5 weeks to sort out, however it ran trouble free without anything other than routine servicing tyres and brake pads until it had covered a staggering 224000 miles. i bought teh car with a 5 year unlimited mileage warranty and its teh best most relaible car i have ever owned. i started a taxi chauffeur company in 2000 and ran a fleet of Volvo s80`s and this one was by far teh best, before the Ford molestation that is the current Volvo S80. the car is currently owned by ny uncle who has since dione around anothe 50000 miles in the car and its still going strong. The best model to buy is the 2.9 se auto from 1988-2000 S,T,V registration A HIDDEN GEM OF A CAR

Richard Naisbitt, Tyne and Wear, November 16th 2008

D5 S 4dr

I have had a succession of Volvo's right from the early days of the 3 series, and even for a while had a 140 saloon! Laterly, I have had an 850 T5 and an S60 2.0t, but by far the S80 D5 is the best yet. It is a 54 reg with 88000 miles and a full history. What a lovely car. The interior is roomy and well thought out and even my 6yr old grand-daugter, without prompting described the seat as being like the sofa! And apart from the fantastic styling, the fuel consunption is far beyond that which would be expected from a car of this size. I had read various reviews that spoke of attaining mid 40s, some less ans some more, and despite having just sold a Ford Mondeo TDCi that was reasonable on fuel (About 45 mpg) this beast is AVERAGING at 60mpg, if the computer is to be believed. And that is with a bit of town driving, and dual carriageway speeds of around 70mph, so not snail pace. Careful used of the accelerator and breaking, along withfull use of the gearbox etc and that fantastic five cylinder diesel grunt that the four cylinders just lack! It is an amazing achievement and I can see this car being on my driveway for many years to come. It is even more economical than my wifes Peugeot 307 2.0 HDi

Ady Finbow, Suffolk, September 1st 2008

D5 SE Lux 4dr [185]

I have had my S80 for about 10 weeks clocking up 6000 miles across a good mix of motorways, A and B roads. The D5 engine suits the car well, providing effortless performance although fuel economy is slightly disappointing. Keep to a light throttle and 45mpg is possible, but show any enthusiasm and around 35mpg is the order of the day. So far I am averaging 35.8 well below the official combined figure. The cabin is very comfortable and the front seats in particular are superb although the ride can be unsettled on some of our poorly surfaced roads. The car is at its best as a motorway cruiser when it is exceptionally quiet, feels very stable and the superb seats combine to provide a very relaxing experience. There is plenty of grip although there is an absence of feel through the steering. Roll is evident but I think the overall compromise between ride and handling works well. The standard spec, on the SE Lux at least, is very good and the active bi-xenon lamps are an outstanding feature. Overall I have been delighted with the car and I am looking forward to many more enjoyable and comfortable miles.

David Sharples, April 20th 2008

AWD SE Lux 2007.5 4dr Geartronic

This is a great car and without a doubt the nicest I have ever had. I have driven them all. It is supremely comfortable and goes very well. I have read the comments on this site about the gearbox not working well with the diesel engine but this is not the case with the V8. The only downside is that it is a bit heavy on fuel. I live in Johannesburg, South Africa which is 6,000 feet above sea level and you need a powerful engine to counter the power loss caused by the altitude. It's also nice to drive something different. I will certainly buy Volvo again.

David Davies, South Africa, March 1st 2008

S 4dr LPG [140bhp]

the seems driving well but am not sure how high mileage will affect the durability of the car.

christiana omogbehin, southwark, February 13th 2008

D5 SE 4dr [185]

I drove the new S80 model last year and agree with all Jeremy Newell says about the driveline. In January this year I test drove a revised version of the new S80 and found the whole thing a different machine. The engine and driveline were very smooth and the whole car remarkably quiet with good handling. The body is much stiffer and as a result the car has that 'carved from the solid' feeling. Styling is classy but understated both inside and out. I bought the car and after 700 miles over various roads, economy is close to the claimed combined mpg and still clearly has a lot of loosening up to do. Compared to the 07 demonstrator, this car is not so eager to kick down and uses the torque much better, although as the transmission is adaptive, it depends how you drive it! The ride is firm and possibly more noticeable since the rest of the car is so quiet. However, having driven the same roads in other cars recently by way of comparison, I would not class it as unacceptable, more an indictment of the state of the roads. If the same road is driven at higher speeds, the suspension settles down and the ride is relaxed and controlled. Overall, I'm happy with the car and I'll report back when I have a few miles under the wheels. The dealer said the turbo bearings needed about 2000 miles to bed in, but the handbook makes no mention of running in periods.

Graham Lamond, North Yorkshire, February 10th 2008

AWD SE Sport 2007.5 4dr Geartronic

I have one of the very few V8's the country and overall love my car. For those of you driving an S80 without the Active Suspension, I can only sympathise! I had a test drive in a 3.2 S80 and found it handled poorly & the engine was distinctly underwhelming. (D5 is terrific tho.)I would agree with most review available that describe the ride as unsettled over uneven surfaces although I find it very good when having a more enthusiastic drive. The car handles motorway cruising and Sunday blasts with equal aplomb. The seats of Volvo are always good, and the S80 is one of the few places my 6' 6" body fits in comfort & cabin IMO is better than the Germans. Upgrades are 7 series BMW level, key ones I recommend are active bi-zenon lights, Active cruise control, DynAudio sound system (WOW). Keyless entry is handy. The engine is incredible, the V8 sounds unbelievable and always takes boy racers by surprise. 5.9 sec to 60mph is very nice. Starting the car on a cold morning is a joy to behold with the V8 growling and gurgling. Fuel consumption is shocking, I have an average of 18mpg! I can get 340 miles out of a Β£70 tank when doing only motorway miles, but have got as little as 170 miles when booting it around town. The Volvo is understated, but it is a wolf in sheeps clothing, perfect! I like to buy things a little different from most. This car would have 5 stars if the fuel economy was a little more like BMWs, only buy this car if you can really afford the fuel

Peter Thompson, January 29th 2008

D5 SE 2007.5 4dr [185]

I owned the S80 D5 SE Geartronic (07 model year) for about 6 months. If anyone reading this blurb is considering buying this car, then read on because you will only ever be happy with this car if you never drive a German 6 cylinder equivalent of this 5 cylinder auto diesel by way of comparison. The Volvo D5 engine is coarse, noisy and unrefined and the 6-speed auto box is wholly unsuited to the engine, changing at higher revs than you’d expect for a diesel and making for an altogether jerky and unrelaxed drive. How the engineers at Volvo can have come up with this pairing is beyond belief. Presumably they never actually drove it?! Economy isn’t great either and way less than the advertised 38.5mpg on the combined cycle. The only strong points are the front seats and the radio/CD system. After 5 months, I started hearing unsettling noises in the steering and ended up having the entire steering column replaced - under warranty, of course – which took over a week, due to unavailability of parts. This was my 2nd and last Volvo, having first had a V70 D5, which wasn’t much better. You can’t fault Volvo after-sales service, however, but then it has to be good to compensate for the quality of the product in the first place. I now drive a BMW 530d Touring which I bought as an ex-demonstrator – a lot more expensive, granted, but the engineering, driving experience and reliability leave Volvo on the starting blocks.

Jeremy Newell, January 23rd 2008

D SE 4dr

I normally own German cars but thought that a change would do me good so the S80 seemed like a good choice. I've found the car to be a challenge to drive, the gearbox is not very good at all, I find that I always select 3rd when I go for 5th and getting 6th gear makes me very nervous as it often gets stuck in the reverse segment. It does not go into reverse (thankfully) but gets stuck and I have to pull over and turn the engine off. My partner no longer uses 6th as she does not have any confidence in the gearbox. Acceleration is very sluggish for a 2.4 and I'm only getting about 32 mpg which is disappointing. The ride is very bouncy on uneven surfaces or country lanes which makes passengers feel a little ill. On long, flat, straight roads the car is a pleasure to drive. Overall, I'd say that for the money there are much better cars to choose from. Shame really.

Ian Gardner, Staffs, December 31st 2007

D5 SE 4dr

I purchased my 2004 Volvo S80 D5 SE auto as an approved used Volvo in 2005 with 30,000 miles on the clock and have now driven 25,000 trouble-free miles in the car. It came fully loaded – leather upholstery, sunroof, cruise control, climate control and more, and cost much less than an equivalent Mercedes or BMW. Shortly after purchasing, I swapped its Pirelli P6000 tyres for Michelin Pilot Premacys which gave a much smoother ride. The S80's cabin is vast and comfortable, providing more room for rear passengers than its V70 contemporary. The ergonomics are good - both major and minor controls fall readily to hand. The Dolby Pro Logic car hi-fi is fantastic but thankfully it also has long-wave radio so that I can listen to BBC Radio 4 on the Continent! I spend around four months of the year in France where the car averages some 42 mpg - amazingly economical for a large automatic with the climate control at full blast! I use a Volvo main dealer in France (Pemzec Automobiles – Vannes) who charge around Β£200 for an annual service – under half what I would pay locally in the UK. To date, it’s been the cheapest car to run that I have ever owned! Grumbles? The turning circle is too big and the handling isn’t as sharp as some rivals, but who cares when you are cruising along in comfort? Volvo’s approved used car warranty is superb, and probably the best way to buy a Volvo. Ensure that you get an end-of-warranty check – your dealer will be keen to fix anyt

Howard Kitson, Berkshire, November 3rd 2007

D5 Executive 4dr Auto

I bought my Wolwie after having 3 Lexus's on the trot - fabulous build, reliability, quality & dealer-service, but high running costs. Have to say that I have not been disappointed: all the aspects of Lexus are there (running costs excluded, but INCLUDING the Dealer-service - thanks Riverside, Hull)and have now had it for 3 years (a record for me), and 40k, and not even contemplating changing it. WONDERFULLY quiet, fast & comfortable - I have regularly driven from Zeebrugge to Murcia (1250 miles) in 2 days, and emerged fresh, stress-free and reasonably sane at the end of each day's driving. 40+ mpg (MORE if you drive within the limit) 800+ miles on a tankfull: huge boot, which can be doubled, all the bells and whistles one can poke a stick at, and as solid and reliable as they come. Downside? Don't stipulate 18" wheels and ULP tyres - they don't suit the car, and you can't use the extra grip anyway. A vastly underated and undervalued champion amongst big cars.

Mike Budding, Murcia, October 21st 2007

SE 4dr [170bhp]

I bought this car about 2 months ago now with a few things needing doing which was no problem. Its a brilliant car and the levels of comfort are unbelievable. The seats were actually voted the best across the board on Top Gear if anyone saw that episode. I've got the 2.4SE version which has pretty much everything you would need as standard to hand and easy to use. The running costs aren't too bad, I average about 30-40 mpg on motorway trips at around 70-75 mph and around 15-25 mpg in and around town (Not where this car is made for really!). Servicing is what you might expect for a car of this caliber, For the service this year from the dealer I was looking at around Β£370 but you are much better off going to a Independant specialist for most things. Since I bought the car 2 Months ago I've covered 2100 miles and the car has not once let me down. These car are made to eat the mileage and will do so for a long time if you look after them well enough. These are much better than any BMW or Mercedes.

Joshua Stewart, October 7th 2007

D SE Sport 2007.5 4dr

My car is a February 2007-registered vehicle in Black Sapphire with beige leather upholstery. After a bit of a shaky start i.e. on-call not working and the rear-seat release levers not working, I have had no further problems. The dealer service from William A Lewis of Shrewsbury has been superb. As with most cars, it takes a bit of getting used to and I am now enjoying a great driving experience with superb comfort. I have 3 gripes - but they are not critical. The GSM phone requires a SIM card and with duplicates not being available in the UK (legally) - I have had to buy a new card with a different number. Standard Bluetooth would have been preferable. Also, the navigation system can be tedious to use, but once I was familiar with the routine it works fine. Finally, why do I have to switch the auto windsceen wipers on each time I use the car? These small issues have not blunted my enjoyment of the car and I am growing to like and enjoy it even more as time passes. I have owned and driven over 25 different car models in my time and they have all had issues or features that I did not like, so maybe I am never going to find a car that is perfect for me.

E Jenkins, September 26th 2007

D5 SE Lux 4dr

If you have 18" wheels (or larger) and ULP tyres with your car, as is quite likely, then I'm not surprised by either the rapid tyre wear, or the scuffing, as I experienced both myself (see my posting). I think that at design stage, the optimum sized wheels were either 16" or 17", and anything larger may well bind. Also, whilst ULP tyres are putting a large dose of rubber on the road, and give fantastic grip, one has really to push the car to its limits to be getting the benefit, but thus pay the penalty. I bit the bullet when I accepted that I was never going to be allowed to use more than about 70% of the car's performance, and downsized to 16" wheels and 225 x 55 tyres. The ride is now more quiet: much more comfortable, and I should get around 30k from a set of front rubbers. If I'd have thought more carefully when ordering, I would have saved myself around Β£2k, (the initial additional outlay, followed by new alloys and wheels)and a whole dose of inconvenience.

Mike Budding, Murcia, September 23rd 2007

SE Lux 4dr [140bhp]

I have had car for nearly two years and have driven nearly 20,000 miles on motorways, country roads and in towns in this country and abroad, and it has never missed a beat. I have been in car trading/dealing and this car is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. The next car I buy will definitely be another big Volvo.

maxwell leeks, suffolk, August 17th 2007

4dr [170bhp]

I have had this car for three months now. I can't fault it in any way - it's a great car.

jack simmo, lancashire, August 2nd 2007

D5 SE Lux 4dr

i have only had the car for two weeks and it is fantastic, i will be looking to buy another in about 12 months. Performance is great, economy fantastic, and the level of comfort belies its price, it is without doubt the best value for money package currently available.

lee abbott, cheshire, May 25th 2007

T SE Lux 2007.5 4dr

Cars are very expensive in Singapore - the S80 2.5T cost US$100,000 which is slightly cheaper than the BMW 523i. The car 's performance is comparable to BMW 523 and has really good mid-range accelleration. This car is a vast improvement over the old S80 2.0T which has a lot of torque-steer and a rather soft ride. The only complaint I have is the silly electric hand brake.

shichat lee, na, May 16th 2007