What Car? star ratings explained
Throughout this website you'll find cars and products rated on a one to five-star scale. Here's what the ratings mean:
The WhatCar? Test Ratings
Here's why What Car?'s expert, impartial advice is so highly regarded:
• Before What Car? writers even step into a car, they research the needs of a typical buyer.
• Readers have told What Car? they want hard data, so writers spend hours poring over facts.
• What Car? staff mystery shop every new car to find out potential discounts - and that means haggling with real dealers.
• What Car? has its own facilities to measure, photograph and assess new and used cars, using sophisticated equipment.
• Performance tests are done at the What Car? Test Track, but the main assessments are done over hundreds of miles on UK roads in conditions motorists will encounter day-in, day-out.
• What Car?'s verdicts are the result of hours of debate among experts - not just one journalist's view.
Featured in this story