What Car? test: Child seats - The ten commandments
2 Check that any seat you're looking at is up to the United Nations standard (UN ECE Regulation 44.03 or 44.04). Look for the 'E' mark.
3 Always use a seat that's appropriate for a child's height and weight until they reach 135cm in height or 12 years of age.
4 Always try before you buy, and look for advice from trained store staff. Make sure the seat you want fits your car - test it in the shop's car park.
5 Read the instructions carefully. Ensure you know how to use your seat properly.
6 Avoid 'buckle-crunch' at all costs. This is where the seatbelt buckle rests against the child seat and could break the buckle in an accident.
7 Check your child seat is secure before every journey. Check the tension on the seatbelt and make sure all fixings are secure.
8 Always use a child seat for every journey, no matter how short it is.
9 Never buy or accept a second-hand seat, even from a friend or relative.
10 Replace every seat after an accident, no matter how small.
- The ten commandments
- 1st Britax Cosy Tot Premium £94.99
- 2nd Mamas and Papas Primo Viaggio £110
- 3rd Recaro Young Profi Plus £94.50
- 4th Maxi-Cosi CabrioFix £105
- 5th Graco Logico S £89.99
- 6th Bebe Confort Streety £250
- 7th Bebe Confort Creatis.fix £99.99
- 8th Britax Rock-a-tot Plus Si £69.99
- 9th Mamas and Papas Pro-Sleep £130
- 10th Red Castle Sport £149.99