Cool box test - The test
We tested five electric cool boxes, ranging in price from less than £30 to approaching £150. Here's how we tested the boxes.
1) We took five sandwiches and chilled them to a core temperature of 5°C
2) Next, we turned on the cooling systems of all our cool boxes and placed a chilled sandwich in each
3) After 1.5 hours of powered chilling, we turned off the power and tested the core temperature of each sandwich
4) With the power off, we waited for one hour before once again testing the core temperature of our sandwiches
5) After a further hour with the power off, we tested the core temperature of the sandwiches for one last time
6) The ambient outside temperature was a sweltering 27°C. All the cool boxes were tested simultaneously
Click though the cool boxes on the left to view the results.
By Pete Barden
Featured in this story