What Car? says
For Refined smooth engines, and a good safety rating
Against Dynamics, handling and shortage of cabin space are all disappointing
Verdict The 308 is a competent small family car, but a long way behind its rivals
Go for… 1.6 HDI (108) S 5dr
Avoid… 1.6 THP GT 5dr
- 1. There's plenty of head- and legroom up front, and decent rear-seat headroom, but not enough legroom.
- 2. The ride is uncomfortably firm, and the 308 can be unsettled by mid-corner bumps. It grips well, but never feels nimble. Overall, it falls well short of class leaders in this area.
- 3. Those shopping for a diesel can choose between the 89bhp or 108bhp 1.6-litre engines (with the 108bhp unit being the better buy) or the rare 134bhp 2.0-litre.
- 4. Servicing costs aren’t expensive, and there are plenty of independent garages that specialise in Peugeots.
- 5. The diesel particulate filter can also give problems, with a fault light appearing on the dashboard and the car refusing to start.