What Car? says
For Skoda's excellent reliability and build quality, a spacious cabin and distinctive styling.
Against Only a five-seater, love-it-or-hate-it looks, seats hard to manhandle when removed.
Verdict A different kind of MPV: not suitable for all, but good value on the used market.
Go for… 1.4 16v
Avoid… 1.2 16v
- 1. It has two full size seats in the back, with a slimmer seat in the middle. All three can be reclined, folded forward or removed completely to turn the Roomster into a quasi-van. The middle seat can al
- 2. Officially the 1.2-litre petrol model manages 42.2mpg on average, the 1.4-litre 41.5mpg and the 1.6-litre 40.4mpg. The lower-powered diesel manages 53.3mpg with the higher powered at 55.4mpg. The 1.9-
- 3. The diesel Roomsters are greenest, because all models emits under 140g/km of C02. The petrol models range from 159g/km to 185g/km. Insurance is cheap, with the least powerful model starting at group 2
- 4. Leaky sunroofs and been reported, but this only covers early models, and some clutches can give problems. Some owners complain about noisy air-con systems, but this seems to be characteristic of the s
- 5. Make sure a Roomster has been maintained properly, and that the cambelt change has been carried out every four years/60,000 miles (except on the 1.2-litre engine which doesn't use a belt).
Reader test team says:
Whatcar's review is basically spot on with this…
I hadn’t planned on buying a Roomster. I wanted…