CitroΓ«n DS4 Hatchback Owner reviews

Yes it is a very good looking machine, and it is well equipped, but I hate it! So why did I buy it? At the time (March 2013) Citroen were very kindly knocking Β£5k off the price, and after test driving a DIESEL version of this I thought I got a good deal. However nobody advised me that the clutch and gearbox on the petrol version are totally different, or lets say the car I finished up with is NOTHING like that tested. I am a 200lb fit, active bloke who trains with weights 2/3 times a week and it takes ALL my strength to change gear, almost to the point have having to half stand to depress the clutch, them force gear lever into place, then because of the pressure from clutch ones foot is thrown off it. One can not hold this car a lights etc. by holding clutch as it is just too powerful! I think it is dangerous in the extreme. So what do Citroen say, I took it to my dealer a few weeks ago and of course they said it was perfect, I took it to an independent garage yesterday and they agree with me, but advised they thought it could be rectified. So back to Mr Citroen, we shall see if some of this extreme pressure can be reduced. I seriously regret buying this car, and am now scared to use it, in nearly 2 years it has done only 8k miles, and of course the trade in value is stupid, bad mistake. And yes I agree with other review about hard work on rough roads, it is.

Clive Earby, Northants, February 5th 2015

VTi 16V DStyle 5dr

We bought our DS4 a year ago, having never had a Citroen before, and have been very impressed. Thankfully we ignored the poor review on this site and a few others and went for a car that is a bit different but very capable. We're getting around 51mpg from the 1.6 diesel, and it gives decent performance. Ride quality is very good - infinitely better with the 18 inch wheels than the 19 inch ones (although they do look very nice!). Boot space is very good, compared to our previous Golf. The car looks great too in our view, and we like that we don't see too many on the road. The interior is of a decent quality too, and the panoramic windscreen is brilliant. We bought ours nearly new (8 months old) from a car supermarket for around Β£12K (it had 13K miles on the clock)- this seemed like great value to us. The main issue we've had is that the car pulled to the left. From an internet search this seems to be experienced by other DS4 owners. The Citroen dealer could find no problem, so after re-tracking and replacing the front 2 tyres due to uneven wear the problem has now disappeared! The awkward access to the rear seats isn't much of an issue in our opinion. Our kids are old enough to manage this without noticing it. Similarly the fact that the rear windows don't open hasn't been a problem - it has air con and they never opened the rear windows in our previous Golf anyway! In summary, we're well impressed and really like our DS4.

Paul James, January 15th 2015

HDi DStyle 5dr

Do not believe any of the whatcar review, i have owned 3 DS4'S, THE 2.0HDI dsport 160BHP, 1.6 dstyle hdi115 and dstyle E-HDI 1.6. and although the dsport (on the 19inch low profiles) ride is harsh over potholes the ride on the 18inch rims is smooth and silky, never had a problem in 3 years, the stop/start system is good, economy is excellent, engine is sublime even build quality is very good and feels solid, the only thing that lets it down is the small legroom in the rear due to shape of back doors and coupe style but you know this when you buy one...the shape draws you in and looks well on the road, lots of kit and all quality...brilliant motor all round.

paul blain, lancashire, May 28th 2014

paul blain, lancashire, May 28th 2014

e-HDi 115 DStyle 5dr

Owning a Skoda Yeti which was due for a change was going to be a hard act to follow Don’t believe the road test on this car it is comfortable on 18 inch wheels better than a Countryman on 16 inch. Loads of power for so little revs and on the motor way 70mph is only 2000rpm.It has a bigger boot than a Focus. On a recent 25 mile A road journey I managed 60mpg. If you want a practical car that is individual and has a bit of style this is the one for you.

Nigel Gander, West Sussex, April 26th 2013

HDi DStyle 5dr

Having run a Citroen from new for 30,000+ miles it has been fault free, never let me down once and delivered 48+mpg. It's put my previous experience with VW/Honda in the shade. It was time to change and I fell for the charms of the DS4. You really feel a strong sense of joy in owning this car. It has a real quality feel, masses of equipment, a wonderfully well crafted interior and strong diesel engines. I have the 2.0HDI and it flies with amazing economy of over 50+mpg on long runs. This car really makes me smile and is one of those cars you keep finding yourself turning back to look at in the car park. At first this car was not on my possible list. I had seen one at launch in a corner of a showroom and it just felt too dark....why oh why was there not a full panoramic roof? Then by chance I sat in one (this time in a bright showroom by a window) and realised that it was Ok, in fact the bigger windscreen was fine and made for a cooler place in the sun than if a big panoramic roof was fitted! I was also worried about the ride comfort of the 19 inch wheels, but as a previous Honda Civic owner the ride is far better than the Civic, with smaller wheels it must be amazing! I thought I might swop but the 19 inch alloys just look so good! You don’t see many DS4s around which is great as you get a real sense of exclusivity. I get many admiring looks and lots of positive comments. Perhaps its taste but this is a car that delivers style, pace and economy while not following the herd!

Adrian Tayfindale, Bucks, August 15th 2012

HDi DStyle 5dr

I have done 13,000 miles since buying new in the UK, it is the 200bhp with 19" wheels and would agree with most reviews that not the the best choice for UK roads, but as most of my driving is on the continent have found the car superb. The build quality is superb and everything is standard, love the back massage on journeys, and blind spot monitor in Europe a must, but if you are a UK customer go for the smaller wheels not low profile, other than that a great car.

Ian Nixon, Valencia, June 21st 2012