Nissan Pathfinder 4x4 (05 - 10) Owner reviews

This is a no nonsense load lugger- with excellent fuel economy for a vehicle this size with fantastic amount of room for stuff- we bought an ex Demo 2010 Pathfinder nearly new and have done 70,000 miles in under 4 years in it usually loaded to the roof with 2xdogs 1xcat 2 x children all kinds of garden stuff, furniture and a full roofbox.Manages 34 mpg without roofbox and 31 mpg with. swallows long distances on M Ways with ease. Only problems: The tailgate does NOT open tall enough- I keep hitting my head In traffic the car surges rather than creeps along Engine is gruff and thumpy at slow speeds Obviously it is Not a sportscar- (I have several of those) but it tows my racecar without a murmour (at 27 mpg. Offroad it is OK although the tow bar is set quite low and in 4WD High on steering lock it sometimes crabs All in all a simple and tough and unpretentious loyal friend.

tim boles, isle of man, May 29th 2014

dCi Acenta 5dr

Lovely car to drive looks nice, on paper the perfect 4x4. I bought mine in june 2012 it is a 2008 adventura and had 28k on the the clock. It is a solid well built car that does what it says on the tin ( typical nissan). Now for the bad points . The 2.5 engine is a little under powered if you do much towing and is very thirsty at an average of 24mpg. On a run a have a max of 26 mpg. At 30 k the clutch went (luckily under warentee) The car sits in between camps, It has to much in the way of electrical toys to go wrong to be a hard core work horse yet not enough refinement to be luxury. Mine is going after 10 months and 15k miles. Running costs are to high even by 4x4 standards . That said i have enjoyed it and reading other reviews would consider a new one which appears to have the fuel enconomy sorted better.

james barrett, cornwall, March 11th 2013

dCi 171 Acenta 5dr

True to my word I bought a second Pathfinder when I came to buying a new car. The cars are identical (apart from colour - that would be strange). MPG is still pityful at about 24-25, tax is still high. Just ahd my 2nd service with Nissan (38k miles). car needed brake pads also and the bill came to Β£560. Now feels like a new car again though! Other than that I think this is stilll the best family 4x4 out there. Discoveries are still too expensive and unreliable - even a mechanic from Land Rover told me not to buy one. The Pathfinder proved itself once again during our recent snowfall. It was totally reliable and went up and down icy hills like a mountain goat - I will always own a 4x4. When it comes to changing this one, unless there's something very special on the market, I will buy my 3rd Pathfinder. On a personal note, how the hell does What Car only give this car 2 stars?

Huw Evans, Ceredigion, January 29th 2013

dCi 171 Tekna 5dr

Bought in December 2008 with only 16,000 miles on the clock,registered July 2007 and now on 1st November 2011 it has only done 39,000 and I regret the day I set eyes on it. Air conditionin went fauly, rear door repainted twice, roof repainted once, on six occasions the engine has died when hiting the kickdown while pulling out to overtake (dangerous and scary), kick strip at drivers door fell off, driver's seat recovered twice, driver's seat fully reclining randomly while driving or stationary, memory positioning of drivers seat packed in and VOX for phone operation faulty and now it is on a recall from Nissan and apparently it maybe in for up to a week, fortunately I've been given a Navara as a courtesy vehicle. When my two year extended warranty expires in July 2012 this machine is history. Haven't yet decided what to replace it with, certainly not a Disco, I've already had that experience!

David Stevenson, November 1st 2011

dCi S 5dr

I BOUGHT MY CAR NEW 2006 AFTER OWNING A TERRANO 2 FOR 3 YEARS THE RELIABILTY SWAYED ME, I TOW A TWIN AXLE CARAVAN ON RALLIES ALMOST EVERY WEEKEND, ON BANK HOLS & SUMMER HOLS THROUGHOUT FRANCE WE CARAVAN ALL YEAR & THE CAR HAS BEEN BRILLIANT. M.P.G TOWING 30 MPG I KID YOU NOT, (I AM A LGV DRIVING INSTRUCTOR)& TRUCK DRIVER FOR 35 YEARS SO I KNOW HOW TO GET MAXIMUM MPG & KNOW HOW TO DRIVE FRUEGALLY. THE ONLY DOWNSIDE IS ROAD TAX (ALISTAIR DARLING & GORDON BROWN) & THE DEALER FROM CHESTER, I HAD A PROBLEM WHICH WAS EVENTUALLY A CLOGGED FILTER THEY HAD THE CAR FOR A WEEK & FINALY FOUND IT AT A COST OF Β£274.00 (THIEVES) BUT WHAT CAN YOU DO. AFTER SPENDING Β£51.000 ON TWO CAR,S THATS HOW THEY TREAT YOU. SO I WON,T GO TO A DEALER EVER AGAIN ALBIET BRILL CARAVANERS TRUCK.P.S SAT NAV & REVERSE CAMERA ARE A CARAVANERS DREAM..... EVERYONE KNOW,S ME AS ACE DRIVER HORTON

paul horton, flintshire, January 16th 2009

dCi SVE 5dr

Nightmare!! Do not buy one!! I bought this car when it was just over a year old, with 11k on the dial. In the 18 months that I've owned it, it has been into the dealership 15 or 16 times (I've lost count!) for a variety of issues, too long to list here. Admittedly several of the visits were the result of the ineptitude of the local Nissan Dealership from whom I purchased the car being unable to resolve problems without 2, sometimes 3 or 4 visits!! The most concerning of these is that the electronic ABS, ESP and 4X4 systems frequently display faults, meaning I lose all of these aids whilst driving, so compromising the safety of my family. Despite several visits on this matter alone, the dealership don't care as they keep claiming that the system hasn't "logged" a fault and will not, despite evidence of the problem provided by me, investigate any further. I have contacted Nissan Motors GB directly, and they have attempted to wash their hands of the affair, blaming the dealership despite the series of flaws I have encountered with the product they manufactured. I so wanted to like this car, but it has been a major disappointment and, more importantly, a serious concern as regards safety since I took ownership. Warranty expires in a few months and I think I’ll need to P/X the car, as I don’t think I can afford to repair it at the rate at which it is failing.

Louis Pasquale, December 30th 2008

dCi SVE 5dr

Wanted to keep to a full size 4x4 after selling my trusty old BMW X5, I considered staying with BMW after driving the ML Mercedes. A friend recommended the Pathfinder and the Jeep GC, I found the Nissan the better all rounder, more comfortable and a safe ride, the GC waddled a little but was equally an impressive car. To much emphasis is placed on the large expensive 4x4 option, I know this as I fell into this same 'Must be BMW or Mercedes' pit. The reality of this is that you really don't need to spend large amounts of money to get what you want in modern cars, pay for the name or pay for the reason you wanted one of these beasts, quite simply, comfort, height, king of the road and more importantly, safety. The Pathfinder is all of these and a little more. I'd do it again but it would be close with the Jeep GC but after many years with Mercedes and BMW I'd recommend a wide berth from the X5 and ML.

Paul Jeffers, Hants, November 13th 2008

dCi Aventura 5dr

This is the second Pathfinder I have owned. It speaks for itself. I love it and would certainly recommend them to anyone that wants a great looking, strong, reliable car that can be used as a workhorse and then a very smart looking car.

david lauro, antrim, July 28th 2008

dCi 171 Aventura 5dr

As a follow up to my previous review of 10/07/08 I managed to find a dealer that was very helpful and hence i did in the end decide to go with the Pathfinder. Having owned it for about two months now, i can honestly say that i agree with the more positive reviews that i have read. The vehicle is very roomy, comfortable, practical and reasonably economical. I decided on the automatic version and against some reviews, the gearbox is very smooth and responsive. I would certianly recommend the car to anyone considering a 'full size'4x4.

Andrew Potter, Lincolnshire, July 10th 2008

dCi Aventura 5dr

Tried one before we decided to buy another Jeep GC. It's a shame that the Pathfinder seems to be such a let-down. The styling is great and the bodyshell very practical but the engine is woefully inadequate to haul around so much mass. Both gearboxes have their problems - the manual is slow and ponderous and the auto is poorly geared and makes progress very noisy and revvy. Also, after reading some online warranty figures the Pathfinder is unreliable with engine and clutch faults quite common. The test drive vehicle we borrowed actually had a rusty tailgate at just 10k miles, not a good sign... With a six pot engine and better auto they'd have a good vehicle but as it stands it's a bit of a wierd choice.

Roy Jones, May 26th 2008

dCi 171 Aventura 5dr

I have owned this Nissan for over a year now with no problems whatsoever. It's the manual diesel and performs quite well on the mainly B-roads in the area in which I live. The ride is smooth and nothing like 4x4s of old. I did test-drive a new Discovery when I bought this car and immediatelty felt sick at the wallowing at the slightest corner. Power comes from very low down in the revs and this provides the car with reasonable acceleration; it won't win many races, however, but you don't buy a car like this to dabble against a V6 Clio... The cabin is well laid-out and easy to use - even the sat-nav screen and all the different menus. The Bluetooth for the 'phone connection is wonderful, as are the automatic wipers and lights. Reversing and parking the car are simplicity itself, using the fabulous rear-view camera which comes on when reverse is engaged. Seven seats have proved invaluable when relatives come to stay. The rear row of seats fold flat into the floor providing a huge space for luggage. The 4x4 system is easy to use. I have used this to plough through axle-deep mud, climb grassy hills and wading through water. On the down side, there could be more power available for overtaking and car tax is Β£300. I have owned Ford Mavericks, Nissan Terranos and a Nissan X-Trail in the past. In all, this is a brilliant family car that can turn its hand to anything and I would definitely consider buying another one in the future.

Huw Evans, Ceredigion, April 22nd 2008

dCi 171 Aventura 5dr

I have only just purchased my Aventura having owned a Terrano for 4 years prior to this. The equipment levels are superb. Sat Nav. Rear Camera, Memory seats, full leather, to name a few. Today I drove to London and back and returned 35 mpg. The performance was great and the 6th gear a godsend as was the cruise control. The only down side is the Β£400 road fund licence which this vehicle just creeps into.

John Hession, Staffordshire, April 20th 2008

dCi 171 Aventura 5dr

Update on my review in March: my Pathfinder is now back at the dealers for the 9th time with the same fault. The ESP and the slippery surface come on for no reason and you lose power. We have now consulted solicitors.

gillian moulden, west yorkshire, March 27th 2008

dCi 171 Aventura 5dr

The Pathfinder was a very tempting work proposition for us and we were attracted to the huge practical interior and rugged style. However, the drive wasn't so good and we struggled to find the right gearbox/engine compromise. The manual required huge movements of the gearlever to make ponderous progress and the auto was just awful with it never really knowing which gear it wanted to be in! Nissan should really change the auto set-up; pulling over 3,000rpm at 65mph is a recipe for disaster with NVH levels. Also the engine is only a four pot and you really are always aware of that. Ride quality is a plus point but overall it's a wierd mis-match of excellent body and quite good chassis with poor engine and gearboxes. Nissan should go the Jeep Grand Cherokee route and source a wonderful CRD V6 with creamy smooth auto box. That's what we did and bought the Jeep instead and it's a huge success. Drive them all then make your choice!

T Pine, March 22nd 2008

dCi 171 Sport 5dr

I update my comments on life with a Pathfinder after a year and 19,000 miles. All I can say is life is very easy, it is totally reliable and does everything we ask of it as a family 4X4 living in rural North Yorkshire. It tows a double horse trailer extremely well, cruises on motorways in complete comfort and is ideal for the country lanes around us. It has all the extras you would expect and exudes a feeling that what ever the road conditions / users you will arrive without problem. As it approached its 18000 mile service I rang a Nissan dealer for a menu price and was quoted Β£290 inc. The following day the supplying franchise dealer called and offered to do the service for Β£180 inc including collection and delivery. I think that is good value. The Pathfinder required nothing other than a service, no little job or things to fix. Would a Land Rover Discovery have achieved such reliability? The running costs are significant, the fuel consumption sits at 26 mpg, ours is an auto. The road fund tax is high but that is not Nissan fault. I estimate it has depreciated about Β£6000 in the first year but that will even out and if life continues as is we will not be selling it with less than 100,000 on the clock !

Richard Farr, March 21st 2008

dCi 171 Sport 5dr [Technology pack]

I bought the Pathfinder in March 2006, T SPEC model. I was attracted by the price and high spec. Within 2 days the offside folding door mirror ceased to fold. It took 5 (five) visits to the dealer to get this put right. In the meantime both number plates fell off, the T-SPEC badge fell off, one of the folding rear seats became stuck and could not be folded and a pipe to an airvent came undone behind the dash. On my 5th visit to the dealer regarding the mirror I was not surprised to find that they were going out of business. 2 days after finally getting the mirror fixed the other one failed and the passenger side electric window became very tardy in operation. I took it to another dealer and was catagorically told that Pathfinder nearside windows did not fold electrically, this by a "Senior Technician". Then the SatNav unit failed. This meant that there was no radio,cd,clock,trip computer,bluetooth,rearview camera and of course Satnav. This took 5 weeks to repair. All of these things happened in the first 3 months of ownership. Since then everything has been trouble free (34,000 miles) and I do think that the car is very good and economical for its size. The spec is excellent and its rearview cameras makes me think that they should be compulsory on all vehicles. Reading the other reviews has made me apprehensive about the clutch.

Richard Norton, February 26th 2008

dCi T-SPEC 5dr

For the price you can't beat it. True, some of the plastic could look better, but it's certainly tough enough. It is big, economical on fuel, cruises all day at 80-90mph on the motorway, comfortable to drive, sat-nav etc excellent. Just the one question, if anyone can help. It is in the garage at the moment after 120,000 km with a busted clutch. They tell me they cannot get hold of the parts. I have heard that there was a technical bulletin issued in June/July 2007 on this by Nissan UK, and that Nissan UK have replaced clutches under warranty with heavy-duty items. My garage are saying it is out of warranty due to the mileage. I say that for a car that has never been off-roaded or overloaded this is not acceptable. If anyone can let me have more details on this bulletin, giving reference numbers, or exact text that I can quote back at them, please let me know. Thanks

Trevor Jones, January 3rd 2008

dCi SVE 5dr

My 30-month-old Pathfinder 2.5dci sve has done 30k miles. I have had two clutches and now the cylinder head is cracked. I am so disappointed with the faults and don't think I will buy another one.

frank lennon, down, December 19th 2007

dCi SVE 5dr

An excellent vehicle let down by a couldn't care less attitude when things go wrong. I have a 2006 dci Trek with less than 7,000 miles on the clock and the clutch has gone. The vehicle broke down on Tuesday 16th October and I had it taken to the nearest Nissan dealer. They gave me a courtesy car (Micra) for one day then phoned to say they needed it back for another customer and that they would not be able to look at my car until the following week. I had the vehicle taken to another dealer as they could at least take the clutch apart to diagnose the problem. Today is Tuesday 23rd October and I am still waiting for Nissan UK to agree to the work being done under waranty. The vehicle does not have a hard life it is not used for towing or off road, but it is used to carry stock for my business, which I obviously cannot do without a vehicle. During that last 7 days I have had a replacement vehicle for 2 days. Nissan UK's response is that it is down to the dealer to provide a courtesy vehicle. The dealers only provide a Micra as a courtesy vehicle, which is not big enough or good enough. Surely if a car company manufactures and sells a vehicle then when there is a warranty claim they should provide a similar vehicle as replacement. Nissan have a lot to learn about customer care.

Mohammed Hashmi, Somerset, October 23rd 2007

dCi 171 Trek 5dr

I bought a 15 month old 06 plate 5 Seat Trek model a week ago for Β£16,745 with 18k on the clock. There was nothing else on the market at that kind of price for a large diesel 4x4 of that age. That is the main attraction of the Pathfinder for me- Value. I had owned an X Trail for 2 years and it had served me well on and off road. (My job involves lots of off road stuff). It was difficult to fault the X Trail and I was considering another but I wanted more space for our large dog and have a 6 week old baby. The boot space is just massive. Motorway cruising is good but on A roads its no more than adequate. Grip is good, steering is not as sharp as x trail but I expected that. A lot of reviewers mark it down on its handling but does it really matter? Its a 4x4 for goodness sake! For me as long as it is comfortable, grips well and is safe thats the priority. If you want a sports 4x4 go and spend another 10 or 20k! This car isnt plush and the badge it isnt going to impress the middle classes (a good thing imo). The farmers round here give it big respect. It is better suited to the country than the M25. Its tough, hard wearing, reliable (I expect!), practical and inexpensive. Mpg is good for its size. This is a proper 4x4. A really good buy second hand buy I recon.

Paul Campbell, Antrim, October 4th 2007