Volkswagen Scirocco Coupe (08 - 14) Owner reviews

I have had a lot of performance cars celica, gttdi, gti,r32, bla bla..,the Scirocco looks drives and sounds better than any other, also it gets the looks you want wieth a sports coupe in the first week i had 5 peeps just say thats a nice looking car mate!! performance! it is the most powerful engine matching the petrol r model, the dsg i own is perfect, but to get the best out of the power plant you need to use the paddle shifter as the dsg wants to rev like its a petrol engine. all said and done i would have another anytime bloody fantastic!!

gary andrews, cumbria, January 17th 2015

TDI 177 R Line 3dr

Had my Night Blue 177 R-Line, for 3 weeks and done 1500 miles, so far so good, on my local terrible country roads I leave it in comfort, and it rides fantastically, and still give a bit of a punch when you accelarate, the optional dyanudio sound system is fantastic and I would recommend anyone that uses the rear seats a bit they consider the panoramic sunroof as the demonstator I drove without it was quite oppressive, the sat-nav isn't as good as the one on my iphone tried to take me down a 3 mile gravel track, the seats are fantastic very supportive and remind you you're in something a bit different, fuel consumption is around 52mpg, which is fantastic for something with 175hp. I tried the GT86, Audi TT TDi but the Scirocco is a superb all-rounder it does everything well, and few things badly. Its early days but I hope it'll still feel as special in 3 years time.

Philip Mortimer, July 15th 2014

TDI 177 R Line 3dr

Owned my Scirocco for a good few months now and love it. It is a dream to drive, smooth and comfortable seats make you eat up the miles on long journeys. The 2.0 TDI 140PSI is a brillient engine, always has the power when you need it even in the high gears making overtaking slow lorries very easy as you know the car will pull you all the way past without breaking a sweat. The adaptive chassis control is another good feature, I was initially apprehensive about it, wondering how much difference it would actually make but I have to say it is a most welcome feature on country roads, whilst the comfort mode is good for cruising on motorways and town, smoothing out most bumps, in sports mode it firms the suspension to make cornering at higher speeds more stable and quickens the throttle response which makes it good fun to drive on country roads. I haven't gone through a service & MOT yet so can't comment on the cost of these but fuel wise it is very efficient, I am getting around 48.8MPG and around 560 miles per tank which I find very good. Inside feels like such a nice place to be, in the GT model you get the touch screen and the climate control, and the finish and quality of everything is just amazing, can't find a fault. I also have the winter pack which includes heated seats & heated wing mirror's which in the colder months are the best feature on the car. Overall I think the Scirocco is the best coupe on the market, sporty looks, good MPG, good comfort and good spe

Simon Bull, Derbyshire, July 2nd 2013

TDI GT 3dr

This is easily the best car in its class in every dept. I prefer the diesels to the petrol engines as they have fantastic mid range torque and incredible fuel economy as its rare to get a sports car with a diesel engine. The engine is a little rough. Just had a warranty replacement of a transmission part which was making a rattle. Unfortunately every body wants you to race them in this car especially from standing of two lanes of traffic at lights. This 2.0 blue motion tech engine can do 60mph in second gear! If the family saloon is thraping it by the side of you and wanting you to join in their juvenile fun just leave it in second. They give up after having to change gear. Just smile at the fuel economy reading of at least 54mpg. Remember it cost him (or more likely her) three times the amount of money it cost you for that daft moment and they are still paying Β£250 per year road tax and you are paying Β£30. The suspension says its a sports car. Dont expect a cushy soft sweet ride. They are great cars. It hardly costs anything to run the diesel versions. This is a true sports car with fuel economy that makes you think you can have your cake and eat it. I love to run it at 50mph in sixth gear with engine revs at 1150 rpm. its idle is 900rpm!

Pug Features, West Mids, June 10th 2013

TDi BlueMotion Tech GT 3dr

Bought a six month old ex VW management 170 TDI Scirocco with DSG a month ago and have put a couple of thousand miles on the clock since. Impressions so far are very good. We had two cars beforehand - an MX-5 and an old Honda Civic - and needed to get one car that was fun to drive but reasonably practical. Also it had to be an automatic. We test drove the 2 litre petrol version and that was very quick, very light and great fun. Unfortunately we both felt we would les our licences pretty quickly plus the fuel consumption was going to be terrible. The diesel was much more of a GT than the petrol. It is heavier but still goes pretty well, especially overtaking. If you want fast standing starts, go petrol. The suspension setting tends to stay on comfort for motorways but sport when just the driver on back roads. Paddles have been used a couple f times but with the DSG it is nearly always sufficient just to press the loud pedal and let the electronics do the work. Niggles? There is a slight vibration somewhere near the glovebox around 1200 rpm under load, the iPhone connection packs up after an hour or so (to be sorted by garage soon) and that is it. Colour is Indium Grey which we think looks fantastic with grey cloth interior but as ever colour s a very personal choice. In summary, we are gad we went for the car and so far are really enjoying it.

John Tebbit, Kent, June 3rd 2013

TDI 170 GT 3dr

Previously had a Volvo C30 and loved it but this is a class above. I am on my second one now, changing after 12 months from a midnight blue to the ubiquitous candy white.Both cars have been quality. The first was a little temperamental with its stop/start working at random. Current one works as you would expect. Quick enough for anything you could want.., the engine and more obvious road noise from the big tyres is a bit obtrusive but the look,trim, handling and equipment make up for any minor quibbles. 2013 model gives me leather,sat nav and heated seats over the last model. Great mpg from the BlueMotion . If you can afford to buy one then ignore the obvious Audi TT( I had one in 2005 and it was a money pit)and invest you won't regret it. Birmingham Volkswagen have been fantastic and i would recommend them thoroughly.

paul dixon, West Midlands, August 2nd 2012

TDI GT 3dr

Just picked up my 4 month old Rising Blue VW pre Registered car last week. I opted for the DSG semi Auto Gearbox and I am so far very impressed. Economy is already averaging 55 Mpg although I have been driving between 60 ~ 65 Mph. The car came loaded with all the extras which would have added Β£4,500 to a New car. It may not be the most practical car but it is fun to drive of that I am of no doubt already!

Neil Davies, Angus, April 8th 2012

TDI 170 GT 3dr

I've ownes an R for the last four months and have been blown away by it. I ordered mine in Rising Blue, with 19" wheels and panoramic sun roof. The car is very easy to drive and very quick. I have the manual 6 speed and have yet to experience any wheel spin on take off. The three suspention settings, at the press of a button, aren't just a gimic, with the car sticking to the road like glue in "sport" mode. The ride is firm, even in "comfort" mode, but point the car where you want it to go and it'll take you there. The cabin is all quality and the standard heated seats are firm, doing a great job of holding you in place. Although the sumroof only tilts, it's large and lets in a lot of natural sunlight. I'm currently getting about 30mpg overall, wgich isn't bad, But my smile when ever I get into this car is huge. If I have one niggle, it's that there's no bluetooth as standard. Overall, a superb car and without spending silly money, I can't think of any other car I'd rather have.

Dewi Jones, mid glam, January 30th 2012

TSI R 3dr

I've owned 18 cars over the years and this one is in a class of its own. It has 210bhp which is not a massive amount of power, however I've driven stuff which has 240-260 and they just don't compare. The difference with the Scirocco is that every horsepower is transmitted to the tarmac, whereas something like the VXR Astra is a nightmare to keep on the road. Its a very safe car to drive and very simple to operate. The car is at its best on bends, hills and long straights (try north west Scotland). Motorway journeys are ok, but the car likes to be driven around more interesting routes. In the real world you'll struggle to find anything as engaging for the same money. I was really surprised just how fast it can shift from 0-100 (sorry 70) It returns 35mpg overall and 41 on motorway trips. I've had it 2 years and I'd have another one, no question, since nothing better has appeared since.

eddie boyle, West Lothian, January 6th 2012

TSI 210 GT 3dr

I have owned this car, in indium grey, for a month and love it. it is one of those cars that every time you walk away you have to look back at it. It is great to drive, i was concerned that 140 bhp was not going to be enough but its just right, its got plenty of torque and sticks to the road like glue. The cabin is a lovely place to be and very comfortable. The only fault i have had is that there was a squeak from the boot area (which i have heard is quite common) but this was sorted under warranty.

Will Pearce, June 15th 2011

TDI GT 3dr

This car is pure class. If you're reading this review on the edge of temptation of ordering/buying one...then jump now. I traded-up from a Mini Cooper, which was nice, but this is in a different league. We have some nice cars in my family yet my white Roc always gets the attention. Pics don't do this motor justice for some reason, you have to see it in the flesh. Do not skmip, go for leather, winter pack and folding mirrors. Fast, fun, sleek, stylish, comfortable, refined and economic enough to get 40mpg on a good conservative run (you will never get 50+ mpg as indicated in another review!) although over the last 2k miles of mixed drivingI get 33mpg, which is fine for a car with such blistering pace. I went to buy a TT and am so glad I went for this car instead. You can fit four people, it's much cooler (albeit not quite the premium mark of the overpriced Audi that has the SAME engine) and it's arguably quicker. Well done VW, a great car that is a total joy to own and drive. And no I don't work for VW. Although I am happy to accept a job to test drive the next generation Scirocco... ;) !

Raman Sehgal, May 14th 2011

TSI GT 3dr

After having come out of a 4 year old BMW 320d I'm delighted (and a bit suprised) to report that I pretty much prefer my the Scirocco in almost every way. I have the Bluemotion version and can't really find fault. It's well built, looks great inside and out (especially with the ridiculously expensive optional leather), goes harder than I thought it would, handles nicely and rides well on the attractive standard 17" wheels. Only niggles would be the cost of the optional leather (Β£1740!!!), lack of 5 seats and small rear window. The 13% company car tax is a massive bonus and one that would lead me to recommend thie Scirocco to any company car driver (who doesn't have 3 kids). For some reason the BMW left me cold whilst the Scirocco leaves me looking back to admire it.

Andrew Frechter, Herts, April 26th 2011

TDI 3dr

I have the 2.0 TDI 170 GT, (in viper green) for 8 months and 10,000 miles It feels quicker than the stated 8.1 secs to 60 and looks fantastic. Here's my positives and negatives about this car Positives 1. Quick 2. Economical, low on emissions thus making a good company car on the TAX, (as it has for me) 3. Very good seats, interior is very nice and well put together 4. Looks like nothing else on the road 5. Very satisfying to drive 6. Easy to use DAB radio and CD player (touch screen), sounds great 7. Decent boot, hatch back practicality with folding seats 8. Comfy suspension setting for those horrible pot holed roads 9. sports setting for those nicer fast roads 10. Handles very well 11. Does long journeys well (200miles plus) 12. best colours to go for, Viper Green, White, Black, Rising Blue Negatives 1. Diesel engine (170bhp unit) is a bit noisy, I believe it is the Audi unit 2. Brakes fade rather too quickly when under heavy left foot 3. you must order rear parking sensors otherwise it is hard to reverse with such a small rear window 4. Do not buy the following colours, Red, Grey, Dark Oak, yes dark oak! I know, how can you tell your family you drive a dark Oak Scirroco, night blue, both the silver colours, leaf and reflex. None of these coulrs will do your car any justice. 5. Nothing else comes to mind

Thomas Tyrrell, March 24th 2011

TDI 170 GT 3dr

I have owned this car for over two and a half years and 30,000 miles. It used to stand out from the crowd, but they are seemingly becoming more popular unfortuanetly. However overall the car delivers everything you would expect. The performance is good from the 170bhp TDI and is great fun to drive on both motorways and country roads. The adaptive control feature does not appear to do much else than harden the suspension and therefore make everything rattle! A word of warning to all VW customers though is that the quality everyone raves on about is not as good as you expect. The car originally did not steer straight which was rectified the second time round after being fobbed off about road cambers. Plus the windscreen was not glued into place so creaked when the wipers went across.

Richard Sharp, October 7th 2010