Chrysler Crossfire Coupe (03 - 08) Owner reviews

V6 2dr

I owned the Convertible version of this car and if I never had so many problem's with this car, I would still own it. The merc engine is faultless, 1st point. The looks and the way people stare at you when you drive it are 1 of a kind. Onto the bad stuff, the roof leaked in heavy rain, took it back to the dealer and they were adament it didn't so I made the manager sit in the car while I put the jet wash on it. He eat his words. The main front light's stopped working, so I couldn't drive it at night until they were fixed. The heated seats didn't work (over a grand to fix), the stearing wheel was off centre, fixed and went back to being off centre within a month. Would I have another (if it was under warranty I would) Check the bad points before buying!!!!!!

D Li, West Midlands, January 7th 2009

V6 2dr

I have owned my Crossfire for nearly a year now. Having previously owned BMWs, TTs and the like and i can honestly say that in my opinion it wipes the floor with them all. I can`t understand why it got slated so much by clarkson.It has just had a major service at the main dealers which was very reasonable with decent customer service too. I had problems with both TTs I owned and this car is so much more reliable. It looks like a car that should cost much more and still turns heads everywhere. The engine sounds great when driving at high revs and is nice and refined at lower speeds. The only thing I feel lets the car down a little is the interior build quality which feels a little cheap.

steve beniston, January 29th 2008

V6 2dr

I have owned my crossfire for just over 8 months after buying it from a dealer, second-hand, for a bargain. The car is used as a company car and travels many miles a year. Overall, The car is very good. PLUSES: Speed- (extremely powerful) Motorway driving- (a dream) Sound- (awesome) Looks- (Head turner) Practicality- (Every day TVR) Running Costs/ Servicing- (Very good for 3.2 v6/ shop around) Ride quality- Solid Minus: Not totally convincing around corners at high speed (like 3.2 boxster) Buy one from a dealer secondhand! Its a bargain! Highly recommended!!

George Absi, England, November 17th 2007

V6 2dr

I have to agree with many of the other reviews listed, what is Clarkson on about? Sure the suspension is firm, but nothing like the ride in my friends 350Z, and the grip is phenomenal. Fantastic styling, proper 2 seater cabin which feels very cosy, my wife loves it. I have owned mine for about a year and bought it with 17k on the clock for £13k - which is a bargain, it turns heads everywhere, in fact the only thing that turns heads more was when I followed an R8 the other day. Why do the journalists bang on about American build quality and reliability?? This car is all Merc, the 320 V6 and auto box has been in every class of Mercedes since 1996 and is bomb proof, and the whole car is built in Germany by Karmann, the thing has never been 'stateside' thankfully. If you want a sexy 2 seater, 150mph (I had mine up to an easy 135mph on the continent and then my wife woke up so had to slow down (!) stunning looks all for under 15k - then by a decent used example and you wont be disappointed. Alternatively buy a 350Z and look like a chav or a TT and look like an estate agent who is a cross dresser at the weekend.

Simon Hubner, Somerset, November 8th 2007

V6 2dr

my first drive of a crossfire was my x girlfriends,i loved it so i went out and got one, ive had it a year and love it,dont know what clarkson was on about,road holding is very good,i travel up and down the m6 a lot,took it up to 130 felt like i was doing 90 steady as a rock very safe indead i want be doing that again it makes you want to do more,i have a manual and have driven both auto/man both good you choose, you feel a few bumps but not excesive, my mates say the ride is good that i should try a TT your teeth will fall out, running costs are ok for a v6 you can also servive it at a merc garage, the sound system is very good dont need to upgrade the amp or speakers, the only thing i wish i had was front heated screen,i am getting a bit bored of peaple looking at me, dont blame them though, go on get one be the odd one out be different.

wayne ross, west midlands, October 8th 2007

V6 2dr

I've just bought one of these after owning an SLK. I have to say that I am not disappointed! I have pruchased it second hand for £11k with only 22k miles on the clock and a full service history. The car shifts a lot more quickly than the SLK and the added benefit of the spoiler adds to the road handling. The car's throaty 3.2, V6 engine powers you effortlessly from 0 to 60 in only a few seconds. Fuel economy seems to be the same as the SLK. My only problem is parking the thing! Visibility is very poor but given it's good looks and head turning profile, I can live with it! Not sure on build quality yet, but it certainly seems as solid as the SLK given the company they both come from. This is a good car......so far! It's only my third week of owning it, so I will keep you posted!

Yolanda Tumulka, Cambs, September 25th 2007

V6 2dr

I am writing a second review of this car on this website after owning it for 6 years (the cars age is now 8 years old). This has been a great car, the only things I have replaced on it are tyres, sparkplugs, brakepads, bulbs and windscreen wipers, admitted I have relatively low mileage (70k), but that is still good going. A few of the horsepower has dissipated and the speakers now sound a lot less crisp, but the Mercedes engineering really shows through. Sadly with insurance costs rising the crossfire is now an expensive hobby to have (insurance costs are now equivalent to about 25% of its value), and it still guzzles fuel like a dehydrated horse; but it still makes sense to drive it and it still looks good.

Peter Pawson, Lancs, August 15th 2007

V6 2dr

I have owned my Crossfire for a little more than two years. The pleasure I gain from its striking appearance has not diminished in that time. Driving, too, is generally enjoyable - although I do find that the car is upset by road irregularities, of which there are plenty in Surrey! I find that the car is a great mix of modern and traditional attributes. In certain respects it seems to hark back to the motoring experience of the past whilst, in other ways, it is very modern. Doubtless there are 'better' cars around - but none that, to me, are quite so special in anything like this price range. I love it!

Peter Chamberlain, Surrey, July 15th 2007

V6 2dr

The Crossfire is another fine example of Chrysler manufacturing. The car we own is an auto and in second gear engine at 3500rpm through a tunnel, the sound is like driving a F1 car through the Monaco tunnel. Build is good, and the engine is a Mercedes lump. Ecomony is good for a V6 - the car averages about 30mpg, and it goes very quickly. Why pay thousands of pounds more for other marque sports car with posh badges when this at £28,000 gives you all you need?

IAN WINTERFLOOD, West Sussex, June 3rd 2007

V6 2dr

First and formost. DO NOT listen to motoring 'writers' and people who make a living out of writing what THEY think of a car. This car is perhaps the best car ive driven. The first 'test' drive was when I bought it. I drove it from London to Scotland and it was as if id just driven 5 miles! Fast, responsive, 'fits' the driver and holds the road more than anyone will ever need it too. Things written about the ride being to firm is bull. The car was certianly not soft but it wasnt the solid jarry ride some people talk of. ITS A SPORTS CAR! if you want a soft ride then go buy a seasonal rail ticket. If you can afford it BUY it. It will take more at the pumps thats for sure,but you wont be overly scared, and youll have your share often of people looking at it but its more than that, its perfect for what it says it does. Seats 2, and there was PLENTY of room for luggage and plenty room for the driver and passenger. The plastic lets it down but not enough to stand out. The radio tuning has to be studied in your handbook, but the sound is superb. If your only reason is buying for the way it looks then so be it.

James Rodden, April 12th 2007

V6 2dr

I have only owned the car for a short while but have to say that I am impressed. Good Bits? The looks, level of kit and performance are all pretty decent. Performance is especially good along with a great exhaust note. The interior is very well thought out, with some nice touches (I like the 'spine' detail running through the car). The grip is also excellent (although I agree the ride is on the firm side). The boot was the big surprise, it was much bigger than I thought it would be. Sound system is also excellent. Niggles? The centre console trim feels a bit low rent and the visability hinders parking. Front windscreen tends to mist up frequently. Overall, very good. Practical, fast, comfortable. If it weren't for that plastic centre console.....

christian betts, October 11th 2006

V6 2dr

I have owned my Crossfire Coupe Auto for 18 months and am dreading having to change it(due to baby) because overall it is a brilliant car, I love it. As long as you don't pay full price (second hand values shaky) it is superb value for money, looks a million dollars ( I have had about 20 people come up to me and compliment the car) and drives solidly. Auto gearbox is much better than the manual which is very sticky whilst it also comes with tiptronic function and has same 0-60 and mpg as manual.Only good thing with a manual are its' different tyres which give marginally better turn-in. Very high speed on-limit handling is probably not as good as competitors but you have to be going really really fast to notice which is easy to do - blink or sneeze and you are having to slow down from very high speeds. Also ride is hard for our city where there are lots of potholes. Reliability (touch wood) has been 100% and our local dealer has been great. 1st service was only £220. Get about 240 urban miles / 340 motorway miles out of a tank of £50 with a heavy right foot. Engine is powerful and sounds great with lots of grunt especially in the mid-range. Sometimes I just drive in 2nd just to hear the music that it makes. You only have to drive a 100 yards and end up with a smile on your face. Costs as much as a new BMW 318 makes you feel as if your driving an Aston Martin- if only there was a four seater version!

Ranbir Singh Lakhpuri, February 28th 2006

V6 2dr

My experience of the car matches almost exactly those comments made in your own test report. The Crossfire interior does have cheap plastics and I fear for the longevity of some parts. Performance is good but your really feel the kick at 3000 rpm. The auto box does seem to have a mind of its own sometimes, feeling a bit confused as to which gear it should be in. Roadholding is superb - nothing seems to unstick it - although the steering is woolly. Ride is OK and what I would expect from this type of car. I have done reasonably well with fuel economy regularly getting 33mpg on long runs (mainly motorway). Around town it drops to about 25mpg, although I do have a light right foot. Overall I am impressed. I bought the car second hand, one year old with 5800 miles on the clock, and the dealer was its previous owner. I paid £19,350, which I think is a bargain. Insurance comes out cheap at about £400 fully comp with business use and wife driving (65% no claims). Anyone who hankers after an SLK but can't afford one loaded with extras should take a serious look at the Crossfire. Unlike the common SLK, the Crossfire still turns heads - but be prepared to continually explain to fellow petrol-forecourt users what the car is, how fast it goes and how much it costs.

Chris Arnold, Gloucestershire, February 16th 2005