Lotus Europa Coupe Owner reviews

uxury Touring 3dr

Like Mr Gregory I too own a Europa. My Europa S is fitted with an upgraded brakes and has been chipped to 225bhp. There is little else around the compares to the shear thrill of driving this car. For what its worth I think your on to a hiding to nothing if you try and compare this car to anything else on the road at this time. Given you can pick up a pre-owned example for a very reasonable price the Europa makes for a sound purchase. The equipment level in the car is good with air con, two air bags and sat nav. The handling and acceleration of this car are simply breathtaking. It is without doubt the most fun I've ever had driving any car!

Dan Holmes, July 9th 2008

dr

Unlike the above test pilot I actually own a Europa. Having owned a Boxster and a couple of Z4s (one an Alpina Roadster) I decided on something a little more fun. To compare the Europa to a Z4 or a Boxster or a TT is just wrong really. They are much nicer inside and comfy and far far better specc'd. I have no doubt that they are also built a little better too. The Europa cannot compete when marked on these things. I didn't buy the Europa for those things though. I wanted a driver's car that would be fun, thrill me and be a little bit different but something that if I wanted to I could use for a weekend away. The Europa is all those things and more. To compare it to an Elise or an Exige is also hard too. They are more focussed, lighter and altogether more hard core. As a stand alone car of which really there is nothing to compare it to, it is simply breathtaking. A TT or Z4 would not even see which way it went on a country road. The ride and steering are amazing and the direction changes when compared to fat overweight, mass produced cars is stunning. My car has uprated brakes but again, unless you are thrashing on a track, brake fade should never really be an issue. In summary, this is quite simply the most entertaining car I have owned. Fast, incredible handling, rare, great badge and cheap to buy if you pick carefully.,

Peter Gregory, February 1st 2008

dr

Hope this car would have everything the Elise had with a easy to use boot Lotus lost sight of who their customers are. Then decided that the Europa was going to be targeted at a whole new audience & got it so very wrong. These people never even turned up to look at the car. Lotus claimed that the Europa would attract new customers (Audi TT / BMW Z4 people). Really! Has lotus ever looked at the build quality of these cars? Don’t be fooled it isn’t any easier to get in to because of a wedge at one end of the doorsill. It’s comfortable apart from my left knee rested against the gear. Some of the gears are to close. Biggist disappointment was handling. Never expected it to match the Exige, but hoped that it would be close to the Elise. Entering a roundabout with a view of going all the way around it & back the way I came. Turn in on entry was fine. But as the car changed direction to make its way around the Europa suffered understeer that an Elise would have coped with. The weight of the car changed direction again on exiting the roundabout I was correcting the cars balance before it stepped out of line. If Lotus matched the Elise’s handling & improved the brakes to deal with extra weigh. Remap ECU for extra 25 bhp, now an upgrade. They would have had a stunning car. Can’t understand why I would buy a car from a company that is famed for their cars ride & handling only to pay a third party to put it right. It just didn’t make sense to me. So did I buy one? No!

Jamie Jones, West Midlands, November 22nd 2007